just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Well there we go......cause you're 21 and have other expenses that should prohibit anyone else from getting something you want. But since I'm 41, have a FT job and use my tax refund and bonus money to travel, I shouldn't get something because you don't have it. Makes total sense.

Well if you didn't come off as a douche from that sentence, then maybe that's why nobody likes the fact that people like you are getting a highly exclusive figure because if you are as insensitive as you are from that sentence you'll probably be the guy that brags about having an unattainable figure.

But hey, good luck at SDCC and getting your figure. You really deserve it for being a "true fan" of Lego and not the other thousands of AFOL and TFOL who wish they could attend a prestigious event.

Well there we go......cause you're 21 and have other expenses that should prohibit anyone else from getting something you want. But since I'm 41, have a FT job and use my tax refund and bonus money to travel, I shouldn't get something because you don't have it. Makes total sense.

There is a vast world of difference between saying "I can't get Bizarro/Phoenix/etc, so you shouldn't be able to Bizarro/Phoenix/etc either" and "I can't get Bizarro/Phoenix/etc, they should make Bizarro/Phoenix/etc available for anyone/everyone to purchase."

I didn't say that at all, in fact if you read my post you would clearly see at the top that I'm fine with People having these minifigures as long as they aren't scalpers.

Good for you if you can afford to go, but unfortunately most people can't afford to travel thousands of miles each year. It's also not as simple as just save up for some people.

Lego just doesn't get it. These exclusive do nothing to help the brand, it just alienates the majority of the customers that spend their hard earned money on Lego throughout the year. Most companies have went to offering their SDCC exclusives online after the show or in different packaging. If Lego would do this there wouldn't be page after page of us arguing and most of us wouldn't feel shafted.

Let's keep the conversation civil, people.

Keep in mind that once you state your opinion, there's no need to keep arguing your point. It should be obvious that you're not going to change anyone's mind.

If this thread gets out of hand, I'll close it.

I have been waiting to comment until there is an exclusive that actually makes me mad, but I want to say that this is how I feel, and I also agree with BFN a page or two ago. I might be angrier when we see the Batmobile or the other three minifigures, or one of the other extraneous 20 exclusives but right now? I'm fine. If I wanted Rocket Raccoon, I can get him. If I want him in his red outfit, I could just give him Star Lord's torso and red legs and I'd be content. I understand being angry over Phoenix, Green Arrow, etc., but I remember that last year plenty of people were resolving that if LEGO would just include variants and minor characters they could live with it. If I recall correctly, I think that Spider-Woman and the fancy Spider-Man, even though it is much better than the one that we have gotten, were swallowed mostly maturely. Most of the complaints were about Green Arrow, because people expected that he would come in a set and that not everything would have Batman front and center. I am surprised how many people are complaining about the Collector, but I guess it is just because he will be a minor character in a movie we haven't seen. Maybe I will get angry later, but so far I'm not feeling it this year....

I think people are free to enjoy the hobby their own way, but I can't promise I will have much sympathy for them.

They probably want to use it in promotion for their booth. Or maybe it will be available widely later, but people shouldn't get their hopes up.

Do remember that most people have interpreted that "20 exclusives" statement to be a misunderstanding by the press that the giant sculptures are counted as "exclusives" in the sense that they are exclusive Lego models at the con. So it is not like there is some massive stash of exclusive sets and minifigures that have not been revealed to us yet (or, from what I have read it doesn't seem like it).

Man, remember when this forum was about discussing Lego and not getting personal with the arguing?

Good times...good times...

Man, remember when this forum was about discussing Lego and not getting personal with the arguing?

Good times...good times...

Yes how 'bout we start talking about the spiderman sets. We might get an Agent Venom or an Iron Spider.

Yes how 'bout we start talking about the spiderman sets. We might get an Agent Venom or an Iron Spider.

My dream set at the moment would be to make a $100-120 set that contains the SPOILER ALERT the final battle of Ultimate Spiderman season 2 where spider man fought against the Sinister six in Riker's Island. I noticed on the Marvel side we haven't had a really large Marvel set to match the DC Superhero line with the Arkham Asylum set. Also a set with Fing Fang Foom would be nice since it's a underrated villain that Iron man fought. Edited by Kire

Do remember that most people have interpreted that "20 exclusives" statement to be a misunderstanding by the press that the giant sculptures are counted as "exclusives" in the sense that they are exclusive Lego models at the con. So it is not like there is some massive stash of exclusive sets and minifigures that have not been revealed to us yet (or, from what I have read it doesn't seem like it).

No. I think they meant it. But there are four exclusive minifigs given away in the raffle including one Marvel (Collector) and one DC (unknown), but there are exclusive sets being sold including the 1966 Batmobile and Rocket's Warbird.

The hope is that the exclusive sets being sold contain minifigs that will be included elsewhere later.

The LEGO Movie "exclusive" set says it will be released in January as a regular set.

Edited by Blakstone

I hope it really is only 4 figs in total this year. I want to get the superheroes ones but I'm not bothered about picking up uni kitty or Bard, which means a lower spend. If both the war bird and batmobile sets have exclusive figs and such limited runs, I guess I'll try to get those too, but like others I think that Rocket might be released later. I sort of can't believe the 66 batmobile would be that small of a release, although it would be a good way to keep it special for the 75th anniversary.

I actually prefer it when the figs stay exclusive. I wouldn't like to spend $2000 on a set of exclusive figs (cheaper than a trip to SDCC) and then see the value fall if they are released later like Batman, Superman and Azog were. I wish Lego would have a better way to signal what is a preview figure and what is an exclusive.

Wait guys, I just realized something. Remember last SDCC? They only showed the Flash/Riddler set. No other sets, nor any minifigures; could we get a repeat of last year?

I think that was because the entire lineup of sets was DC in January this past year, much like how it could be this coming year. With the 2012 Comic Con, we got all the minifigs for the 2013 lineup due to the fact that there were both Marvel and DC sets in that wave. They probably would've maybe wanted to reveal a set, but to get the equal exposure for Marvel and DC then they'd have to reveal both a Marvel and a DC set, which may have been too much along with the Hobbit and Star Wars sets they revealed at both of these last two conventions. It's just a theory, though.

I personally don't care whether or not it's a set or a minifig lineup revealed. As long as we know there's a Green Lantern fig, I'm good. :grin:

Edited by K-Nut

But you're only okay with the exclusives because you're in a position financially to be able to afford them. The people who can't afford them are unhappy that their collections will have big gaps because LEGO deals with exclusives in a way that makes them insanely highly priced.

Wait guys, I just realized something. Remember last SDCC? They only showed the Flash/Riddler set. No other sets, nor any minifigures; could we get a repeat of last year?

The way I see it, something is better than nothing. Some might think we didn't get much last year, but knowledge that we were getting an official Flash minifig was simply bliss to me.

I actually prefer it when the figs stay exclusive. I wouldn't like to spend $2000 on a set of exclusive figs (cheaper than a trip to SDCC) and then see the value fall if they are released later like Batman, Superman and Azog were. I wish Lego would have a better way to signal what is a preview figure and what is an exclusive.

I'm not blaming you for doing what you do, since it makes complete sense to buy these figures as an investment if you have the financial means, but I think that this is exactly the problem. The whole 'exclusive' nature of the figures doesn't benefit the fans and collectors, it benefits investors (not that being an investor is wrong). The minifigs stop being collectibles and start being investments.

I honestly don't see why LEGO is still doing this. It doesn't benefit them, because they don't get any of the aftermarket sales. It doesn't benefit collectors and fans because 99% will never own the figures. It only benefits scalpers, who make thousands of dollars each every time LEGO does this.

Edited by KingPixels

I wouldn't mind if they did that. I really want to see how the UCS Tumbler is going to look along with the rumored Heath Ledger Joker and Nolan Batman supposedly in the set. If they reveal UCS Tumbler, I will be satisfied.

I'm not blaming you for doing what you do, since it makes complete sense to buy these figures as an investment if you have the financial means, but I think that this is exactly the problem. The whole 'exclusive' nature of the figures doesn't benefit the fans and collectors, it benefits investors (not that being an investor is wrong). The minifigs stop being collectibles and start being investments.

I honestly don't see why LEGO is still doing this. It doesn't benefit them, because they don't get any of the aftermarket sales. It doesn't benefit collectors and fans because 99% will never own the figures. It only benefits scalpers, who make thousands of dollars each every time LEGO does this.

I am a fan first and collector second. I think these figs will be good investments, but of course there's a risk of being wrong. I don't think that prices have really moved much since 2011 (the TMNT ones have fallen on supply increase, there is no real market in the iron man/cap figures, common one like Phoenix or Venom are basically flat) while the stock market has gone up like a rocket, so I can't say that fig investors have been the beneficiaries yet. Most of the price move happens between the kids selling to scalpers, and the scalpers selling to collectors. I hope that this will attract more scalpers into the market and force them to bid more to the kids, who can then recycle their gains into more lego!

I hope that this will attract more scalpers into the market and force them to bid more to the kids, who can then recycle their gains into more lego!

I have to disagree there. Scalpers are just the scum of the industry, and it sucks that they end up with a good 80-90% of the figures.