just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Could there be a possibility that a Green Lantern minifig would come with the Lego Movie when it comes out? Then again the LED Green Lantern has a different outfit than the one in the movie.

I suggested that a while back (before we got to see the keychain). I still think there's a chance of it.

If it doesn't come with the movie, there is still the possibility of a retailer exclusive some time this year (since DC is short one set in this current wave vs. Marvel).

I'm still surprised/astounded we can get a MM next month! Love the character but I think many would have assumed a GL first.

Ok so I saw this and kept counting over and over again, and can't figure out who the fourth is? There is Col. James Rhodes (War Machine/Iron Patriot), Sam Wilson (Falcon), and Luke Cage (Power Man). Are you counting Nick Fury as a superhero for a 4th?

We're only shy a White Tiger now from the teenage Ultimate Spidey (cartoon) team, so we can hope for a Hispanic female/latina soon :)

As for DC ~ I haven't actually read comics in a LOOONG time. Aside from Cyborg and the one version of Green Lantern ARE there any major/popular characters of color? (Not counting Catwoman since she swaps back and forth at random).

There really needs to be a lot more people of color since fleshies are becoming the norm with licenses.

Static Shock is the one that comes to my mind immediately, would love a figure of him.

Static Shock is the one that comes to my mind immediately, would love a figure of him.

Groovy, thanks! I just read a wiki on him (had never heard of him before your post). I would also love a figure of him :)

Ok so I saw this and kept counting over and over again, and can't figure out who the fourth is? There is Col. James Rhodes (War Machine/Iron Patriot), Sam Wilson (Falcon), and Luke Cage (Power Man). Are you counting Nick Fury as a superhero for a 4th?

We're only shy a White Tiger now from the teenage Ultimate Spidey (cartoon) team, so we can hope for a Hispanic female/latina soon :)

As for DC ~ I haven't actually read comics in a LOOONG time. Aside from Cyborg and the one version of Green Lantern ARE there any major/popular characters of color? (Not counting Catwoman since she swaps back and forth at random).

There really needs to be a lot more people of color since fleshies are becoming the norm with licenses.

If you count nick fury there are five. You forgot storm

Comic book characters as cartoon characters that have been televised in the last couple years? Let's see...Black Lightning, Black Panther, Black Manta, Black Canar..oh wait. Whoops. There's Aqualad from Young Justice. Bishop of The X-Men appears in Days of Future Past this summer. I'd gladly throw my $$$ at Lego for any of these characters. However, unless Lego makes a D2C set of The Hall of Justice, the only way I'm gonna add Lightning and Manta is going the custom route. Black Panther was hinted at being in The Avengers sequel, but being another melee character, it sounds doubtful.

Edited by Colossus

If you count nick fury there are five. You forgot storm

I was quoting someone who said 4 black males was all (that's why I was curious about the count) :) I didn't forget storm (looking forward to her actually!).

To be honest, the ratio of black superheroes to white superheroes within the Marvel universe seems pretty accurate in lego form so far. The only major player left is the Black Panther; comics have never been the best place for racial diversity, or at least for creating characters of other races that become part of popular culture. DC didn't even have any black characters anywhere in its comics for most of the 60's, not even as bystanders. I would love a lego Shang-chi to add more chinese characters to the mix personally. I think releasing the Falcon and Storm this year is a good step as well, and the GOTG will include a few girls as well.

At the risk of veering back on topic... Yesterday I built the new Spider-Man Doc Ock set, and I'm relatively pleased with the results. What I hadn't known before purchasing is that there's a play feature in the back of the van that compromises the entire roof of the vehicle,essentially there IS no roof, and instead it is composed of money boxes that can "explode" with the press of a lever.

What I do REALLY like is the fact that this is not a SpiderTank or some other ridiculous vehicle, but instead a realistic and believable build that could integrate itself into any City layout. I think e $20USD-range hero sets are the perfect range for kids and AFOLs alike, not only as a means of releasing new and exciting figures but also involving a substantial build that doesn't break the bank.

With that being said, I love that TLG included the armored car and not some ridiculous "super vehicle" that the hero doesn't need. Most SuperHero adventures take place in a contemporary urban setting anyway, so I prefer that they include city vehicles or even structures that can serve either SuperHero OR City collections. If they continue with this ideology I can see the $20USD range continue to be popular for years...

I'm still holding out hope that when Lego finally does give us a GL, it'll be either Guy Gardner or John Stewart.

I could not disagree with you more, unless they gave us something like a d2c with Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner and John Stewart (Simon Baz?) facing off against... Well pretty much anything! (Although a brick built Nekron or Sinestro and the Warworld/Ranx would I pretty cool).

If we get just a single Lantern I would seriously hope for Hal- I could cope with John Stewart or Kyle (preferably John as its nice to get some diversity) but I wont be happy with Gardner.

I know it wouldn't come into legos thinking but there are decent customs of Stewart and Gardner available too- whereas aside from Christo's movie Hal (which I'm glad I own!) he's most in need of the treatment from a purely selfish point of view

On the issue of Superheros (and Villains) diversity, here is a list of some figs Marvel names Lego could add. Blade (has he been in the USM cartoon yet?), Scorpion (he is latino in the Marvel Ultimate comics universe), Bishop (already suggested), Warpath (Native American), Forge (Native American), Black Panther (T'challa should come with a version of Storm), Silver Samurai (Japanese, fighting a non-suited Wolverine), and Namor (who's features are predominantly Asian). There are several females that would qualify for this list, but I don't quite remember their names at the moment.

On the DC side, I haven't kept up with the comic characters. There are a couple of characters from Batman Beyond, but I can't remember their names at the moment. When the Batman/Superman movie comes out we could get an African American Perry White (Laurence Fishburne is reprising his role).

RANT ALERT!!

I have litteraly been everywhere hunting down the new marvel sets with no luck. The worst part is that all of places have the new DC sets but NO MARVEL!!!! Even at my tiny tesco they had one lego set in the entire store and it was the batman steam roller set! Why can I never find you. Anyway rant over. I don't mind getting more mixed race minifigures even if the vast majority of characters aren' t.

Yeah, Nick Fury is included, since he's often included in the action outside of the movies (be it merchandise for the movies, comics, or cartoons). DC has Cyborg, John Stewart (Green Lantern), Steel, Static, Black Lightning, Batwing, Mr. Terrific, Vibe (he's hispanic), Vixen, Firestorm, the new Blue Beetle (hispanic), Aqualad, Crimson Avenger, Thunderbolt, Bronze Tiger, and many many more. Now granted, not a lot of these could be considered household names, but most of them have existed in popular media (JLU, Young Justice, Arrow, etc.) and could easily be included. Kids have been proven to be more likely to play with a doll or action figure that looks like they do, even if it's just in race, so why not make Cyborg, Static, Aqualad, or Blue Beetle? It'll just increase the sales.

Even outside of major characters, do they really have to make every single cop and bystander white? At least give US the power to bring these guys to life!

As for women, that's going to be much harder to accomplish, given Lego's stance on their target audience, but it's nowhere near impossible. A set with Superman and Supergirl here, maybe a Green Arrow/Black Canary set over there, and a Hawkgirl somewhere in between. We can't expect Lego to make sets focused entirely on these heroines yet, but if every set's going to be Batman meets the Harlem Globetrotters, why not put a woman by his side? At least Zatanna, since she's a close friend of Batman's. (And can we not have them in the damsel-in-distress role like Wonder Woman was in the Power Armor Lex set?)

The sets aren't based on the movies, they're based on the cartoon (Avengers Assemble).

Although, (SPOILERS)

Red Skull will appear in The Winter Soldier

I'm not talking about the Lego sets, just the movie's action figures. I heard about that other thing, but I thought it was mostly rumor. Besides, once again, would they really rather spoil part of the movie than give us Black Widow and Falcon?

Could there be a possibility that a Green Lantern minifig would come with the Lego Movie when it comes out? Then again the LED Green Lantern has a different outfit than the one in the movie.

Like I said before, I HIGHLY doubt they'll do promotional figure packaging with the Lego Movie, since it's a feature film. Even then, I doubt they'd want to make Green Lantern, Justice League regular, an exclusive of any kind if they can help it(excluding the movie version).

To be honest, the ratio of black superheroes to white superheroes within the Marvel universe seems pretty accurate in lego form so far. The only major player left is the Black Panther; comics have never been the best place for racial diversity, or at least for creating characters of other races that become part of popular culture. DC didn't even have any black characters anywhere in its comics for most of the 60's, not even as bystanders. I would love a lego Shang-chi to add more chinese characters to the mix personally. I think releasing the Falcon and Storm this year is a good step as well, and the GOTG will include a few girls as well.

Yeah, but you really have to consider that at the height of comic book popularity, racial equality wasn't the best. I think John Stewart made a good cultural impact, though, given how many people were pissed off about Ryan Reynolds playing GL in the movie without realizing he was a different Green Lantern! Although, this problem is slowly being fixed, thanks to the cartoons making more diverse casts. Young Justice's Aqualad was popular enough to carry over into the comics (correct me if I'm wrong), and Beware the Batman was slowly building up to the Outsiders before they were cancelled. They're really trying in some regards.

At the risk of veering back on topic... Yesterday I built the new Spider-Man Doc Ock set, and I'm relatively pleased with the results. What I hadn't known before purchasing is that there's a play feature in the back of the van that compromises the entire roof of the vehicle,essentially there IS no roof, and instead it is composed of money boxes that can "explode" with the press of a lever.

What I do REALLY like is the fact that this is not a SpiderTank or some other ridiculous vehicle, but instead a realistic and believable build that could integrate itself into any City layout. I think e $20USD-range hero sets are the perfect range for kids and AFOLs alike, not only as a means of releasing new and exciting figures but also involving a substantial build that doesn't break the bank.

With that being said, I love that TLG included the armored car and not some ridiculous "super vehicle" that the hero doesn't need. Most SuperHero adventures take place in a contemporary urban setting anyway, so I prefer that they include city vehicles or even structures that can serve either SuperHero OR City collections. If they continue with this ideology I can see the $20USD range continue to be popular for years...

I agree, we need more relatively normal vehicles in these sets. Although, I have to say, I'd be all for Toy Man attacking Metropolis in a giant mechanical toy soldier. :grin: The $20 sets do often include some of the more desirable figures luckily, like Venom, Nick Fury, War Machine, Nightwing, and Aquaman. The builds for them are often pretty nice, too.

I'm still holding out hope that when Lego finally does give us a GL, it'll be either Guy Gardner or John Stewart.

I doubt we'll ever see Guy Gardner, but he's fairly easy to make purist. Orange bowl cut, jerky face, green winter jacket, and a few added details and you're good. I have my purist Guy in front of me now, and all he needs is that bowl cut and GL's legs to be as accurate as possible.

Green Lantern thoughts: Since we're getting a new Penguin already for the sake of making him more affordable, maybe that GL set we'll have him and Bats against Scarecrow? He was exclusive to the Arkham set, and makes sense fighting Green Lantern, since he creates fear and fear is essentially Green Lantern's weakness.

I think it is 99.999999% sure that the green lantern won't be based on the LEGO Movie one.

Mainly because that figure already exists and is a 2011 Comic Con exclusive that's limited to 1500 copies. Also he's based on the 2011 Green Lantern Movie that bombed. We already saw how the Merchandise for that film rotted on shelves, so I doubt LEGO will want to even reference the film suit. The LED figure looks a lot better and more 'Comic Booky' which is great a the rest of the JL is. The LED Lantern looks a like he does in the New 52, although his costume didn't really change at all during the relaunch.

RANT ALERT!!

I have litteraly been everywhere hunting down the new marvel sets with no luck. The worst part is that all of places have the new DC sets but NO MARVEL!!!! Even at my tiny tesco they had one lego set in the entire store and it was the batman steam roller set! Why can I never find you. Anyway rant over. I don't mind getting more mixed race minifigures even if the vast majority of characters aren' t.

10 quid says he finds them within a week

Green Lantern thoughts: Since we're getting a new Penguin already for the sake of making him more affordable, maybe that GL set we'll have him and Bats against Scarecrow? He was exclusive to the Arkham set, and makes sense fighting Green Lantern, since he creates fear and fear is essentially Green Lantern's weakness.

That's actually quite logical

involving a substantial build that doesn't break the bank.

Except in this case the truck literally does break the bank. :laugh:

How great would a Batman/Green Lantern vs. Sinestro/Sinestro Corps Scarecrow set be? A batman + other hero crossover set that actually makes perfect sense? Yes please.

When is the seperate DC/Marvel forum launching?

I dont wanna hear the Batman talk anymore :P

Then don't listen. :wink:

Also, I don't think the MODS are gonna split the topic. :look:

I think it is 99.999999% sure that the green lantern won't be based on the LEGO Movie one.

Mainly because that figure already exists and is a 2011 Comic Con exclusive that's limited to 1500 copies. Also he's based on the 2011 Green Lantern Movie that bombed. We already saw how the Merchandise for that film rotted on shelves, so I doubt LEGO will want to even reference the film suit. The LED figure looks a lot better and more 'Comic Booky' which is great a the rest of the JL is. The LED Lantern looks a like he does in the New 52, although his costume didn't really change at all during the relaunch.

I really liked TLM's GL costume. It looked cool.

Fairly sure if they do it, it's going to start with the "DC/Marvel 2015 Rumors and Discussion." No one is insane enough to try and split this monstrosity of a topic.

How great would a Batman/Green Lantern vs. Sinestro/Sinestro Corps Scarecrow set be? A batman + other hero crossover set that actually makes perfect sense? Yes please.

That would be a metric shit-ton of awesome. It seems a little unlikely, though.