just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Really disapointed Storm and Cyclops are the only new characters. Would it have hurt to also throw in Beast or Jean? Sabretooth or Mystique? Three years into this line and they've barely scratched the surface with the X-Men.

You know, it is probably for the best. Age of Ultron and Ant-Man are also planned for 2015, so one less superhero movie frees up space for some possibly decent Marvel sets. I was disappointed to not see anything for Thor: Dark World or The Winter Soldier for 2014. Granted, might see something later on, but I prefer TLG having more space for some Ultron and Ant-Man.

Considering all the new characters to be featured in Age of Ultron (Baron Strucker, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and of course Ultron), I am hoping to see plenty of sets for the film. At least 2 will be enough for Ant-Man I think.

We'll obviously see some Avengers 2 sets, since Avengers is obviously marketable. I do hope we get Ant-Man, too. I wouldn't mind if they only give him one set, as long as they don't skip him like they did with TWS and TDW. I think we have a good chance of seeing him though, with him being new. On the other hand, we may just get 3-4 more sets with the same spider-man we've gotten for two years, instead.

Really disapointed Storm and Cyclops are the only new characters. Would it have hurt to also throw in Beast or Jean? Sabretooth or Mystique? Three years into this line and they've barely scratched the surface with the X-Men.

I feel you. If we really do only get two new figures for that set, it'll almost definitely take it off my 'to buy' list. :sceptic:

Edited by Hrafnblod

Well, if it's just those four minifigs with a likely over-priced lackluster set I'll skip it unless it goes on sale for 40% off.

Well, if it's just those four minifigs with a likely over-priced lackluster set I'll skip it unless it goes on sale for 40% off.

I'd need 75% off a small scale set with only 2 new figs, though I have to admit, the fact that the figures are a back-draw with this theme sort of proves just HOW bad these sets are. Then again it's licensed so minifigures are more of a priority.

And on the 2016-Sup's Batman movie, ridiculous. I can already see us getting a million DUPLO and juniors DC set's with about only 3-4 actual DC sets, all Batman, no new characters, maybe a rehash of Aquaman? And then a wave of just Superman and Batman, it's sort of like they just said: "Hey, we're gonna give you 3 years of the same character, then wait another year to give you a diverse wave, but every figure in that wave would be a rehash of old one's, oh, and it's getting pushed back a year :hmpf_bad:

As for X-Men, I want to find this news surprising, but I just can't get myself to be surprised when the Superheroes theme disappoints, especially when so many people are willing to pour out their money for terrible builds and restraints on new figures for 2 new ones, but that's this world, and you can't change the people in it. But glad you guys like it, so this theme must not be a total failure

Oh jeez, I'd forgotten that episode of Arrow.

Also, I can't really say I'm shocked about Batman-Superman being pushed back. The more I hear about it, the more it seems like DC is trying to make it a JL movie since DC just wants their own "Avengers" without actually putting forth the effort to get audiences attached to the ancillary Justice League characters by giving them their own films.

One problem I think DC have is how to do Wonder Woman on film. Hollywood seems to have this idea as of late that all female superheroes have to be hot babes ala Tomb Raider yet that wouldn't fit with what Wonder Woman is supposed to be from the comics.

One problem I think DC have is how to do Wonder Woman on film. Hollywood seems to have this idea as of late that all female superheroes have to be hot babes ala Tomb Raider yet that wouldn't fit with what Wonder Woman is supposed to be from the comics.

Well, it's kind of the same with men I guess. I'd say all the actors who play big superheroes are decently attractive. I wouldn't consider elizabeth olsen a "hot babe" though.

We may not get any sets for Age of Ultron or Ant Man, it all depends on which films (and TV series/cartoons) LEGO (and Marvel) decide to promote.

That said, I wish LEGO would stop making so many Spiderman sets. We need Marvel Cinematic Universe, X-Men and Fantastic 4 sets, not more Spiderman.

Edited by jonwil

I won't claim to be a diehard Wonder Woman fanatic but uh, her character design has always had an element of "hot babe" to it. I mean yeah she's also pillar of feminism and whatnot but she does that while (and perhaps despite) being pretty babe-ish.

We may not get any films for Age of Ultron or Ant Man, it all depends on which films (and TV series/cartoons) LEGO (and Marvel) decide to promote.

It's just foolishness to think the Avengers won't be promoted to hell and back after the previous film grossed a billion dollars in the box office and who knows how much more in merchandise. Plus the first Avengers sets more or less helped really launch the Marvel line with Lego. Ant-Man is more of a wildcard on all fronts, but I think we're at least likely to see a minifigure of him pop up even if it's not in a movie-themed set. Not unlike how we're getting Thor and Captain America again in the wave after The Dark World and right around The Winter Soldier, even if the sets aren't based on those films. And the increasingly disappointing X-jet to coincide with DoFP.

Oh jeez, I'd forgotten that episode of Arrow.

Also, I can't really say I'm shocked about Batman-Superman being pushed back. The more I hear about it, the more it seems like DC is trying to make it a JL movie since DC just wants their own "Avengers" without actually putting forth the effort to get audiences attached to the ancillary Justice League characters by giving them their own films.

I'd say that's a sure thing tbh since they've already confirmed Wonder Woman and Aquaman will be making some sort of appearance in Batman/Superman.

Be interesting as there's a Sinister Six movie in the pipeline if Lego produced something for that.

Wat?

Wonder Woman, in the comics, was designed as a "hot babe". That's basically all she was for a long time. Heck, her weakness was being tied up and dominated, dominatrix style!

Then just look at what she wears most of the time...

Wonder Woman's issue is that even after getting past those original designs, her stories just aren't that good. Wonder Woman is the only thing memorable about Wonder Woman's comics. Only comic fans know her enemies for instance. Superman has Lex. Batman has the Joker. Both of them have a lot more memorable characters. Wonder Woman according to the casual observer and even lots of comic fans has... what?

The whole universe around her is just not that well written. The character is unrelatable (she's an AMAZON which is hard for anyone to relate to). The problem they're probably having is basically... everything.

And yes, she was designed to be a "hot babe" which kind of alienates her to a lot of the female population :P.

Wonder Woman needs a great writer, an open minded take on her story and universe (without turning her Kryptonian essentially making her Supergirl...) and just needs a complete makeover before being presented to the general populace.

Hey, I have an idea. Somebody, I can't remember who, sketched the Hydra tank and the AIM lab before we had pictures. Technically your not breaking any rules, your just drawing a picture. No water mark, so they can't get you for that. And, in the end, we have a picture of the set. All it has to be is a sketch, even if you can only remember parts of the set.

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

Not sure if we had proper confirmation of the prices of the Junior Super Heroes sets in the UK, but we do now.

Argos.co.uk updated their website this morning, and although not available to buy yet, Spider-Car is £11.99 and Batcave is £29.99.

Wat?

Wonder Woman, in the comics, was designed as a "hot babe". That's basically all she was for a long time. Heck, her weakness was being tied up and dominated, dominatrix style!

Then just look at what she wears most of the time...

Wonder Woman's issue is that even after getting past those original designs, her stories just aren't that good. Wonder Woman is the only thing memorable about Wonder Woman's comics. Only comic fans know her enemies for instance. Superman has Lex. Batman has the Joker. Both of them have a lot more memorable characters. Wonder Woman according to the casual observer and even lots of comic fans has... what?

Wonder Woman needs a great writer, an open minded take on her story and universe (without turning her Kryptonian essentially making her Supergirl...) and just needs a complete makeover before being presented to the general populace.

Well I'd say Cheetah is at least recognizable, and Giganta used to be. As for the Kryptonian background, that was a lie! Some random website made it up and later CONFIRMED that it was just what they thought they'd see in the movie, none of that was even close to being a rumor.

Have you read her New 52 stuff? Definitely one of the best.

I've heard it was really good, the only complaint I've ever heard of her New 52 line is that "it's too mythological", but that usually comes from people who've only read about 2 issues.

Found all four DC sets today, picked up a p-p-p-Penguin set and the Riddler chase

You'd be making a certain Freddy very happy if you confirmed living in the U.S, of course, the Steamrollers the only set I want, I need Batgirl.

Hmm... I guess I have to wonder just how long this license will last and if we'll see a time with multiple versions or costumes of the same character. That will make a big difference to me on the X-Men set. I don't care for the Astonishing version of Cyclop's costume. And whereas a masked Wolverine is nice, I doubt it will be the last time we see him regardless. So, now I'm buying into a set for the Storm and maybe the alternate Magneto?

I'll have to think about this one alittle more...

I can see Super Heroes lasting as long as Star Wars. It certainly has the potential to. Think about it, Super Heroes are the in thing at the moment, with three Marvel films on the horizon, along with many more after, It certainly won't loose interest any time soon. It also has something that's completely unique, that no other theme has, the ability to turn out completely different sets based on either comic, cartoon, or live action material, and the freedom of that. And I can tell you now, there are hundreds of thousands of different locations, vehicles, buildings, you name it, in the comics alone. Add in new movies being made and planed I suspect at this very moment, plus old and existing cartoons, plus the sheer number of fans, both Marvel and Lego, who are willing to put down there hard earned cash on anything from a £10 impulse set to the Quinjet, and the openness that you can have almost any situation made into a set, unlike most licenses, as long as it's relevant and accurate to the subject and appealing to your specified audience, you've got yourself a very large, money filled cash cow. The only problem, I see, is that Marvel controls the sets. They say what and who's going to be made, which may be the cat among the pigeons, so to speak. However, I'm hopeful, and I'm going to enjoy getting one of my most favourite things in Lego for as long as I can, even if I would prefer more X Men or a Jim Lee Cyclops to an Astonishing one.

Not sure if we had proper confirmation of the prices of the Junior Super Heroes sets in the UK, but we do now.

Argos.co.uk updated their website this morning, and although not available to buy yet, Spider-Car is £11.99 and Batcave is £29.99.

Ouch. Big pieces and printed pieces, maybe, but still not a lot of Batcave for $30 (assuming the price translates that way in the US, which it most likely will). Scratch that one off my list too since I don't exactly need another Batman or Joker, mostly just wanted the Robin.

Found all four DC sets today, picked up a p-p-p-Penguin set and the Riddler chase

I don't suppose you live in the US do you? It's pretty maddening they're holding back the Penguin set, Stateside, it's probably the one I wanted most out of the DC line.

There are already videos on youtube reviewing the new Steamroller set:

Edited by Cammo

Ouch. Big pieces and printed pieces, maybe, but still not a lot of Batcave for $30 (assuming the price translates that way in the US, which it most likely will). Scratch that one off my list too since I don't exactly need another Batman or Joker, mostly just wanted the Robin.

It's worse for us Brits mate, £30 translates to almost $50 dollars. So you should not feel so bad with the direct translation.

It's worse for us Brits mate, £30 translates to almost $50 dollars. So you should not feel so bad with the direct translation.

I'm not trying to get into the economics involved, I know it's worse for you guys, but from what the brits I know tell me almost everything is like that for a huge number of reasons beyond the scope of this thread. It's not a lot of set for £30, or for $30.