just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Judging by the sentence under your photo you don't seem that constructive. And my post was a question, as you can see someone answered.

+1 for you! Hope we get those pics soon!

And that's the last we'll have of that. If the begging for pictures continues, you'll force me to close this thread until we get some actual news. I really don't want to do that.

I'm sure those visiting this thread for news are as tired as I am of reading such pointless things. Let's all work together to keep this thread as a viable source of information. It's for everyone's benefit.

And that's the last we'll have of that. If the begging for pictures continues, you'll force me to close this thread until we get some actual news. I really don't want to do that.

Well there is really no need for that at all. I would hardly say it's flooding the thread at all and people are

I'm sure those visiting this thread for news are as tired as I am of reading such pointless things. Let's all work together to keep this thread as a viable source of information. It's for everyone's benefit.

Well there is really no need for that at all. I would hardly say it's flooding the thread at all and people are just exited for the sets, and who can blame them? I really think that you are making a bigger thing of this than it is.

Sorry, it's not open for debate. This thread is for set news and discussion. If you'd like to criticize me, you can take it up in PM, either with myself or another staff member if that makes you more comfortable.

No, I like it being all one thread. I like Batman and the Batman sets the most (Superman's good too) but I also don't mind taking a look at sets from marvel whilst I'm snooping around, to see what interests me, I might miss something good if it was on a different thread.

I'm the exact opposite. Mainly here for Marvel but interested in seeing the DC stuff too.

Well there is really no need for that at all. I would hardly say it's flooding the thread at all and people are just exited for the sets, and who can blame them? I really think that you are making a bigger thing of this than it is.

I have to agree with the moderator, it's a waste of space to make comments like that. Now there's nothing wrong about asking for an opinion on when we'll get pictures, the real problem is that we get comments like this:

Pictures where are you...................

Which really isn't a question, and it doesn't add anything to the conversation, and despite the user trying to defend himself by saying it was a question it really wasn't phrased like one, thus making it more of a remark of frustration rather than anything constructive. The second problem is that even if stated in the form of a question it's still a question that's been asked and answered several times, often multiple times on one page. At this point repeatedly asking the same question and getting the same answer is spam more than anything else. And if this user had looked at any of the last few pages he would have had his question answered.

Edited by strangely

I agree,how is it pointless to want to see pictures of upcoming sets?

As much as I appreciate the support, strangely, this topic needs to get back on track. As far as I'm concerned, this incident has passed

I agree,how is it pointless to want to see pictures of upcoming sets?

305Bats, we were having this conversation elsewhere. If you don't want to talk about it there, we can ensure that you can't post even with another account.

I have to say I'm glad Lego has finally decided to print more details on the minifigures. Honestly the first years minifigures were rather plain to me, but this years and next is really looking good. Initially I was worried about them being too over detailed but after looking at the close ups of the figures it actually looks just right to me. Even Riddlers odd looking coat has grown on me despite it's out of place nature. And Batgirl actually has a perfect amount of detailing, in fact boots may have been a bit too much had they been included (I sort of shudder saying that as I had hoped for them, but now I don't really think they're that vital).

Hopefully the set designs themselves follow the same course and become more detailed. I feel like this years sets were rather basic especially in comparison to other more detail oriented themes like LOTR and Hobbit. But based on the descriptions we've gotten so far I feel pretty confident we'll get some highly detailed sets, or at the least much more creative sets (2013's sets sort of had a been there done that feel to them, while 2014 actually has some interesting and relatively fresh ideas).

Hopefully the set designs themselves follow the same course and become more detailed. I feel like this years sets were rather basic especially in comparison to other more detail oriented themes like LOTR and Hobbit. But based on the descriptions we've gotten so far I feel pretty confident we'll get some highly detailed sets, or at the least much more creative sets (2013's sets sort of had a been there done that feel to them, while 2014 actually has some interesting and relatively fresh ideas).

Yeah, I'm really hoping the builds are a little more complicated and detailed this year. Rather than being "for" Age 6-12 like this year, I hope they're made for Ages 7-14 and have the two Junior sets being for the younger kids with basic builds. I'm not impressed by the Riddler Chase builds, but we'll see how they turn out very soon, at least for DC stuff. :classic:

The very fact that they're including Batgirl at all is exciting. It shows how TLG may start branching out from Batman and Robin, even if she's still in the Bat family. I just hope that they show her as a hero on the box art as opposed to the treatment Wonder Woman got in her set.

I'm not sure where the 'not complicated' and 'not detailed' comments are really coming from. Though it wasn't DC, Tony's Mansion had a non-straight-forward curving shape to it, and little details like a blender. People didn't like that it was a tiny representation with one room (though I did, since it looks nice and was actually affordable, whoa!), but still it was detailed and complicated.

I think those are just cover words for 'dumb set material.' The Man of Steel sets had detail but were just weird things, Batman's Icemobile was odd, the Iron Man 3 sets were kind of pointless besides for the Mansion… etc. The Bat/Tumbler set was the only one that actually fits the too <insert that tiresome argument> mark, since those two vehicles are awesome but the set versions sucked.

Overall, though, I don't think it's detail that's lacking. What's lacking is material for a set that is actually worthwhile.

I think those are just cover words for 'dumb set material.' The Man of Steel sets had detail but were just weird things, Batman's Icemobile was odd, the Iron Man 3 sets were kind of pointless besides for the Mansion… etc. The Bat/Tumbler set was the only one that actually fits the too <insert that tiresome argument> mark, since those two vehicles are awesome but the set versions sucked.

Overall, though, I don't think it's detail that's lacking. What's lacking is material for a set that is actually worthwhile.

Yeah, you just explained the problems with this year's sets way better than I did. :grin:

The four builds I liked were all based on pretty recognizable builds, which were really just good set material (Bugle, Nick Fury's Car, Malibu Mansion, Arkham Asylum). The rest were only really good for the minifigures, and even that wasn't the case for some sets like the Man of Steel ones.

The very fact that they're including Batgirl at all is exciting. It shows how TLG may start branching out from Batman and Robin, even if she's still in the Bat family. I just hope that they show her as a hero on the box art as opposed to the treatment Wonder Woman got in her set.

Yeah, I don't mind still getting Gotham based sets and baddies, but I definitely don't need Batman as the main attraction. Having Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Robin and other bat family members at the forefront is definitely preferable over endless variations of Batman (I say endless but really I have a pile of the blue ones and the black ones, so obviously they aren't as varied as I said). This year when it comes to Batman himself all I really want is a new 52 variation and that's it. And instead we're getting a BTB variation, too bad I hate that show...

And if they're going to keep the focus on Gotham based stuff they really need to do us a favor and flesh out the supporting cast. Lacking characters like Vicki Vale, Renee Montoya and others just disappoints me. Even if in recent years they've become less popular they're still an important part of the Batman mythos. Oddly enough Aunt Harriet might have been a humorous character to include at some point (It really wouldn't hurt to get a few more Adam West Batman sets).

That's actually closer to what I meant. The subject material is often uninspiring. Zod's dropship was boring (As if we haven't seen enough ships in dark colors in this theme), the icemobile was a bit misguided and kind of a weird place to put Mr. Freeze (I somehow would have preferred him in an ice cream factory or something, only because I think that's sort of a classic hideout for him and I don't recall many plans where he froze Aquaman). Overall most of the sets just lacked any real flare, they're all just a bit boring to me. Even the Tumbler set was a disappointment as they chose a scale and variation of it not many people wanted. Lego really just needs to kick up the creativity for these sets.

I'm tired of generic cars and gray ships and more variations of the bat vehicles. I would definitely prefer some Gotham landmarks over another Batmobile and Batwing (The new Batmobile doesn't impress me in the slightest. I thought it was ugly on BTB and I think it's ugly as a Lego set).

They seemed to have combined two popular/regular DC stories with that Aquaman/Batman set. Mr Freeze has been polar bound in some of the most iconic stories involving the character. Also, a common enough story with Aquaman involves Orn/Ocean Master or some group working to melt the icecaps all at once to flood the earth. Though not many kids have any idea who Ocean Master is, or any of Aquaman's enemies and Batman's only rogue who would be actually underwater is Killer Croc and he is more swamps and storm drains than Aquaman compliant open ocean.

I guess you could spin it as a Legion of Doom thing and Orn kidnapped/imprisoned Aquaman and has Mr Freeze helping out?

Anyway. These new sets sound pretty interesting. I just hope they are decently priced! Locally, a lot of the current ones are kind of inflated considering the minifigs and parts count, even accounting for the characters.

Agreed I certainly get the feeling that LEGO feels more comfortable with, other heroes being added to the mix. Not just with DC but with Marvel aswell, the X-men set is a great example. The chopper showdown wasn't too much of a risk, since all three figures are increddibly popular. It will be interesting to see who's in what with Marvel and also whether DC has any sneaky sets hidden.

They seemed to have combined two popular/regular DC stories with that Aquaman/Batman set. Mr Freeze has been polar bound in some of the most iconic stories involving the character. Also, a common enough story with Aquaman involves Orn/Ocean Master or some group working to melt the icecaps all at once to flood the earth. Though not many kids have any idea who Ocean Master is, or any of Aquaman's enemies and Batman's only rogue who would be actually underwater is Killer Croc and he is more swamps and storm drains than Aquaman compliant open ocean.

I guess you could spin it as a Legion of Doom thing and Orn kidnapped/imprisoned Aquaman and has Mr Freeze helping out?

Would've been a perfect scenario for a Black Manta fig. It simply must happen before this license is over. Heck, even my kid's Imaginext line has him!!

Both Black Manta and New52 Ocean Master would make great minifigs, it's a shame they're probably not well known enough to get a figure made of them, at least unless Aquaman gets a himself some kind of mainstream media outlet (movie or something) that Lego can capitalise on. I'm just glad we got Aquaman in some way shape or form though

I agree that we should be getting more varied heroes from DC. Robin, nightwing, batgirl, all that. I'm just wondering aboutwhat set ideas we could get though. Wayne manor maybe? I'm struggling to think of anymore. Although, for a smallest, I wouldn't mind seeing nightwing with his batons and smell kind of small bike fighting a couple of goons and an enemy. If they're going to go with Robin sets then they should just stick to Tim drake. As I personally hated the story where it turns out Bruce has a long lost son who became the new Robin. :P but then again, that's just what one person thinks :P

Edited by RelicRaider

I'm just wondering aboutwhat set ideas we could get though. Wayne manor maybe? I'm struggling to think of anymore.

Well Lego really hasn't used much from the comics. For instance they could do a set with Red Hood at Ace chemicals. Who wouldn't want a set on the Jokers origin after all. That would at least be a variation of Joker that's worthwhile. And when it comes to inspiration you really don't have to look far. Instead of doing vehicle based sets they could easily create small scale villain hideouts. Killer Croc lives in a sewer, Poison Ivy was based in Gotham park for a while, realistically you could do $20 sets based on smaller locations like that. Batman and Joker fighting in an amusement park is pretty iconic (Especially in the 90's). And they could always do extensions for Arkham like they did for Hogwarts (After all the construction of the set is done in a way where adding rooms would be a breeze). Really there's a lot of things Lego hasn't done. And if they intend to keep the focus on Gotham then they need to start giving us more than vehicles.

Yeah, I like the idea of a sewer pipe, and it would lead to a better killer croc figure as it could have back printing, and a lighter shade of green. Exploding or even just removable sewer grates. And we could have a variation of nightwing instead of batman all the time. Good opportunity to use some rats too.

It would be interesting if Lego used characters like Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Talia as heroes in their own sets. After all there are a number of villains who actually do heroic things despite their often villainous actions (Catwoman saves animals, Harley Quinn once stopped a bomb in Gotham and Talia has helped Batman on countless occasions). It would just be interesting to see some less than black and white portrayals of these characters. Unfortunately I don't think Lego would ever do this, being a theme called "Superheroes" they probably will always be compelled to include a token do gooder. I can't blame them though, it is hard to bring up issues of moral ambiguity in a toy.

I hope they branch out to other heroes. I understand why Batman is shoehorned in as often as he is, but there are plenty of heroes in and around Gotham if they really feel compelled to stay related to Batman. I think we should see Creeper in a set at some point, he is after all associated with Gotham. I always liked his story in BTAS, and a set would be interesting. Hopefully the second half of next year gives us a few surprises in the theme.

Edited by strangely

As much as I appreciate the support, strangely, this topic needs to get back on track. As far as I'm concerned, this incident has passed

305Bats, we were having this conversation elsewhere. If you don't want to talk about it there, we can ensure that you can't post even with another account.

Yea sorry about that. I can see what you mean. It wasn't phrased as a question at all, and it has been answered multiple times on previous pages like someone stated. :classic:

It would be interesting if Lego used characters like Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Talia as heroes in their own sets. After all there are a number of villains who actually do heroic things despite their often villainous actions (Catwoman saves animals, Harley Quinn once stopped a bomb in Gotham and Talia has helped Batman on countless occasions). It would just be interesting to see some less than black and white portrayals of these characters. Unfortunately I don't think Lego would ever do this, being a theme called "Superheroes" they probably will always be compelled to include a token do gooder. I can't blame them though, it is hard to bring up issues of moral ambiguity in a toy.

Yeah, I like that idea! Although like you said, it's not very likely. Although, you never know, anything could happen.