just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

It's about time we got Green Lantern. I really hope that this rumor is true. I don't even care which Lantern it ends up being, since it would be possible to buy a few and switch heads around.

It's about time we got Green Lantern. I really hope that this rumor is true. I don't even care which Lantern it ends up being, since it would be possible to buy a few and switch heads around.

Yeah, I bet it going to be jordan, he's the most well known. I guess then he will be in the Steam roller, with Nightwing or Batgirl in the Man Bat set!

Yeah, I bet it going to be jordan, he's the most well known. I guess then he will be in the Steam roller, with Nightwing or Batgirl in the Man Bat set!

Plus there has been a large push for Jordan recently. He's back as a main member of the Justice League comics, his TV show, Videogames ( Injustice and Lego Batman 2 ) plus a film. I would say John Stewart is more well known as he was featured a lot in the 90's.

Plus I hope your right about Nightwing and Batgirl. That would give us 4 new heroes.

Another Justice Leaguer is good, but GL is my least favorite so I would rather have Nightwing, and/or Batgirl. I hope this means we can't get all three though....

I can't even imagine the scenario in which TLG decided to not produce figs of at least the OG 7 from the 90s toon. I don't want to hear anything about licensing, either. As it is coming up on two years since I got back into the LEGO scene, it has become clear to me that TLG is conservative to the point of detriment. I have money to give them and they won't take it...and why? Is it really to "test" the waters of the superhero-themed LEGO market? Pffft. Get with it. Market Research shouldn't take so long.

In reality, it doesn't matter. They can take as long as they want, drag around ideas, etc. We will all still buy up whatever they give us. If only they realized what they had and actual fans of the material working on the product, we wouldn't still be waiting for such popular characters as the Flash, GL, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman/girl, ANY new X-Men, etc. They would realize that MCU is the least interesting and least conducive area to make figures for. Sure, they could still make something for those MCU projects, but we all know the ever-growing AFOL crowd is salivating for classic characters from their childhood.

Sorry.../rant

Hoping the Green Lantern rumor is true, maybe it will be based on the suit like it was in the game. I wonder if will ever get Green Arrow or the other Comic Con exclusives in regular sets.

Sure, they could still make something for those MCU projects, but we all know the ever-growing AFOL crowd is salivating for classic characters from their childhood.

LEGO isn't aimed at AFOLs first. :wink: Sure, LEGO should give us more comic Marvel sets and release DC heroes much faster than they do now, but they want to appeal to the kids. That's why we only get Batman, Spider-Man, and movies. They have to do minimal marketing themselves, since Disney/WB already is or they are already extremely popular to casual fans.

Again, I think that they can do much better, but I their current "safe" strategy is pretty understandable.

Edited by Superficial Username

LEGO isn't aimed at AFOLs first. :wink: Sure, LEGO should give us more comic Marvel sets and release DC heroes much faster than they do now, but they want to appeal to the kids. That's why we only get Batman, Spider-Man, and movies. They have to do minimal marketing themselves, since Disney/WB already is or they are already extremely popular to casual fans.

Again, I think that they can do much better, but I their current "safe" strategy is pretty understandable.

I've heard this countless times, about it's marketing to kids. Of course, that is obvious (not being snarky here, just agreeing). I think it's equally obvious, however, that the number of AFOLs have increased to become a huge, if not bigger piece of TLG's fiscal pie. AFOLs are catered to in many of the themes, why not super heros? A recent example is LotR/Hobbit. TLG seems to have dove right in, assuming AFOLs would buy these sets up. They were probably right (I have at least one of each set so far).

I think, since, TLG is and will always be elusive about these matters, that we are dealing with plain-old bad project management on the super hero side of things. The builds, especially last year, were pretty bad and the slow rate at which we see sets AND the disappointing number of varied characters in those sets just makes me think this is just mismanagement, rather than careful maneuvering. At the very least, we all know TLG has left a lot of money on the table...and that is frustrating.

I can't even imagine the scenario in which TLG decided to not produce figs of at least the OG 7 from the 90s toon. I don't want to hear anything about licensing, either. As it is coming up on two years since I got back into the LEGO scene, it has become clear to me that TLG is conservative to the point of detriment. I have money to give them and they won't take it...and why? Is it really to "test" the waters of the superhero-themed LEGO market? Pffft. Get with it. Market Research shouldn't take so long.

In reality, it doesn't matter. They can take as long as they want, drag around ideas, etc. We will all still buy up whatever they give us. If only they realized what they had and actual fans of the material working on the product, we wouldn't still be waiting for such popular characters as the Flash, GL, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman/girl, ANY new X-Men, etc. They would realize that MCU is the least interesting and least conducive area to make figures for. Sure, they could still make something for those MCU projects, but we all know the ever-growing AFOL crowd is salivating for classic characters from their childhood.

Sorry.../rant

I don't think it's to test the waters anymore, I think it's largely down to how complicated the SH theme is.

This theme is involves three companies, and each Company has a large back log that will be very difficult to bring justice too. On top of that both DC and Marvel will have final say over what will eventually be made, as its there characters and properties on the line. Plus LEGO wants to reach a compromise between well informed fans and uninformed fans. As an example uninformed fans may not be as aware of certain characters so, those characters will most likely be second billing in a set ( Aquaman and Wonderwoman ). It gets into even more obscurity when you look at there villains ( the average joe most likely wont know Black Manta or Ares or Mirror Master ).

It's also a bit of a waiting game as the more sales the Superheroes line achieves the more likely in future waves that LEGO will take risks with more less known characters. Also profit is important, which will sell better a Shazam vs Black Adam set or a Batman vs Two face set. While an AFOL who is also a DC and Justice League fan will pick Shazam ( as would I ), the Average AFOL will grab Batman first maybe grabbing Shazam at a later date. Also uninformed grandparents and Parents or even friends will grab the Batman set as everyone knows Batman, when buying a gift for someone.

On top of everything else it's also down to DC who at the moment aren't doing a great job of promoting characters and there properties. Batman vs Superman will be the seventh Superman film and the eightieth Batman film. currently there has been no live action Flash, Wonderwoman, Aquaman or Shazam film. I find it extremely depressing that we will see Quicksilver in two films played by two different actors before we see a Flash film, Or the fact that we will see Guardians before Wonderwoman. Hopefully when the contract is renewed in 2015, it will give LEGO more Freedom and allow more sets, and more variety in Characters. I would still expect a large amount of Batman and Superman, but hopefully the odd Aquaman themed set or Flash themed set.

I've heard this countless times, about it's marketing to kids. Of course, that is obvious (not being snarky here, just agreeing). I think it's equally obvious, however, that the number of AFOLs have increased to become a huge, if not bigger piece of TLG's fiscal pie. AFOLs are catered to in many of the themes, why not super heros? A recent example is LotR/Hobbit. TLG seems to have dove right in, assuming AFOLs would buy these sets up. They were probably right (I have at least one of each set so far).

I think, since, TLG is and will always be elusive about these matters, that we are dealing with plain-old bad project management on the super hero side of things. The builds, especially last year, were pretty bad and the slow rate at which we see sets AND the disappointing number of varied characters in those sets just makes me think this is just mismanagement, rather than careful maneuvering. At the very least, we all know TLG has left a lot of money on the table...and that is frustrating.

It's increased to 5%. Notable, and they have catered to us more, but children and people shopping for them are buying tons more. LOTR is a good example of a theme that caters more to older builders, and I do wish that LEGO would do that here too. :thumbup:

That got me thinking about how much Star Wars has improved since it was first released (well, mostly) even if that is more due to the time. Maybe part of LEGO's strategy with this theme is to gradually improve, grow, and diversify this theme to keep people in it for the long run interested? :sceptic: I know that I'll buy another Batmobile just because it includes Flash this time, and if they released a better Batwing I'd probably buy that too. Just a thought

I do largely agree with you too. It's great that we are getting Flash, Green Lantern, and a few more X-Men next year, but should it have really taken three years? And even then, we still probably won't have well rounded rosters aside from the MCU Avengers and maybe Spidey's team from USM.

Edited by Superficial Username

@Sam: nice post (you too, Superficial Username)--very informative. The only thing I take issue with is the notion that DC and Marvel would have final say on a product. While that is true, we have all seen super hero character used by a brahzillion other companies...from candy to tooth brushes to greeting cards. My point is that none of these companies seem to be very picky about who uses their characters and how they are used, as long as the money is paid. I doubt either DC or Marvel would get much into LEGO's business. This is why I feel the delay on the super hero theme reaching any kind of potential falls mostly on TLG. I know, this is extreme conjecture on my part, but at least it makes sense...what does not make sense is withholding so many intricate characters for so long.

I know it's silly, but little Flash minifig coming our way has me more excited than the release of PS4 in November. I know I'm not the only one who feels this, by far. The logical conclusion then, is that TLGisn't making as much money on this theme as they could with a few more, key releases.

I hope the Green Lantern rumor is true, that would be fantastic. Either in one of the known sets or maybe a new retailer exclusive. :drool:

9 Marvel sets and 4 DC have been mentioned, which makes 13, 1 more than usual, making up for only 11 this year?

I find it extremely depressing that we will see Quicksilver in two films played by two different actors before we see a Flash film, Or the fact that we will see Guardians before Wonderwoman.

That's because marvel actually knows what they're doing by including more than 2 of their heroes in movies. DC literally only has superman and batman and aren't as successful because they don't know how to make a good movie or introduce a character that people aren't as familiar with. Not many people knew who black widow or hawkeye were but they sure do now.

@Sam: nice post (you too, Superficial Username)--very informative. The only thing I take issue with is the notion that DC and Marvel would have final say on a product. While that is true, we have all seen super hero character used by a brahzillion other companies...from candy to tooth brushes to greeting cards. My point is that none of these companies seem to be very picky about who uses their characters and how they are used, as long as the money is paid. I doubt either DC or Marvel would get much into LEGO's business. This is why I feel the delay on the super hero theme reaching any kind of potential falls mostly on TLG. I know, this is extreme conjecture on my part, but at least it makes sense...what does not make sense is withholding so many intricate characters for so long.

I know it's silly, but little Flash minifig coming our way has me more excited than the release of PS4 in November. I know I'm not the only one who feels this, by far. The logical conclusion then, is that TLGisn't making as much money on this theme as they could with a few more, key releases.

I agree with you because if you look at the past comic cons lego has made several superhero characters which they havent included in a set. This shows that they can make other characters if they wanted. The question lies as to why they choose not to tap the vast range of characters and possible corresponding sets

Plus there has been a large push for Jordan recently. He's back as a main member of the Justice League comics, his TV show, Videogames ( Injustice and Lego Batman 2 ) plus a film. I would say John Stewart is more well known as he was featured a lot in the 90's.

Plus I hope your right about Nightwing and Batgirl. That would give us 4 new heroes.

Darth Tater's description of the preliminary pics only mentions two heroes besides the Flash - one in the Man-Bat Attack and another in the Steam Roller. Would be nice to get Batgirl though, especially since we never got her in the original Batman line.

One thing that really interests about the set descriptions is the Steam Roller coming with three villains. If Green Lantern does come in this set it would be great if one of those three villains is from his rogues gallery.

You're dead on! Okay so here's what I can remember from the images:

The Penguin Face-Off: Might be one of the best $13 LEGO sets ever. Comes with Batman, the Penguin and two robot penguin henchmen with dynamite. Batman has some sort of jet ski (I can't recall if it's similar to the polybag) and the Penguin has a duck-like flotation ride similar to the Batman Returns design.

The Man-Bat Attack: Batman, Robin (I thought it might've been Nightwing, but he looks really cool!) and Man-Bat. Really cool looking Bat-Helicopter. Could retail for $25

The Riddler Chase: We've all seen it.

The Joker Steam Roller: This is the one I'm most excited for. 5 total minifigures, but all I could make out was Batman and the Joker (purple hat included!). While the box art made it look like two heroes and three villians, I am not ruling out the possibility of the other hero being Nightwing. The Steam Roller looks ridiculously awesome, with a ton of great colors. Batman's vehicle is a jet, with similar wing functionality to that of the Republic Striker from the Old Republic line.

This sounds great, hopefully we get him in his own set (with Sinestro? PLEASE let it be Sinestro!) I will probably get him either way, I don't think he will appear in BTB which means he will almost certainly be comic-based. I know we get pictures in October (usually) but when exactly do we get set names and minifigures?

The time frame varies. It could be anytime between now and Halloween.

So Batman and Green Lantern against Joker, Sinestro, and someone else with a steamroller. That's pretty out there. *huh* It's possible, but I don't think that Sinestro is a part of that. If we get someone new, my guesses are Mad Hatter or Clayface, but I've been way off before. :sceptic:

I agree with you because if you look at the past comic cons lego has made several superhero characters which they havent included in a set. This shows that they can make other characters if they wanted. The question lies as to why they choose not to tap the vast range of characters and possible corresponding sets

Not really. Again, they can do much better but their choices aren't that much of a mystery. Batman, Spider-Man, and movie tie-ins are just safer than stand-alone Green Arrow sets. The exception may be Thor. If we don't get sets based on TDW (I'm still going to say it's unlikely at this point) that will just go further to show how safe they are playing.

The logical conclusion then, is that TLGisn't making as much money on this theme as they could with a few more, key releases.

There is always a way to make more money. :grin: There isn't a whole lot going on the DC side of the theme, but the Spider-Man property they are using for inspiration (whether it was mandated by Disney or not) does give us characters I wouldn't have expected to see nearly this soon, if at all.