ER0L

MOC: Victorian Townhouse (San Francisco Style, 21w)

9276234484_c5589cd2f4.jpg

A first modular. In fact it’s meant as one of the famous Painted Ladies in San Francisco, the idea being borrowed from Henrik Hoexbroe who has built a whole row of them. In a larger scale you can find them in Legoland California, too. Obviously the future town will have some Frisco stuff in it, at least there’s already a very fine Cable Car built by Altezza.

There is no interior, but, since cars are still important, a working garage door. :wink: The garage even fits the full-size cars. Due to the SNOT road and pavement system there is no usual baseplate, so a width of 21 studs is no problem. Building in an odd width widens the range of possibilities, e.g. you can have cheese on both edges as you can see in the frieze at the gable.

Some details:

• The pillars at the bottom of the staircase are shortened versions of the ones used at the Gas Station.
  • The curtains at the windows of the second floor are made out of bridal veils.
  • The garage door (probably) has a new mechanism which allows any width. Later I’ll show how it works if you are interested.
  • The chimney is completely wrong, will be changed.

The roadster is new, too. Its platform is based on the full-size cars, but smaller (6w). It’s built by combining bracket-and-tile and brick techniques and fits two whole minifigs. It doesn’t have a spectacular design, but seems like a step in the right direction on the way to build some smaller cars that go well with the CC style. Hopefully the platform can be developed further.

Thanks to Na Dine for providing the old windows. Thanks to all for looking!

Some more pics:

9276229116_be4df9c8bb.jpg

9273438431_077f254937.jpg

9214940030_3d40339c6a.jpg

Wow, cool moc. I really like the details of the windows and of the stairs. I really like the wheels of the car because they are realistic, the characters that fit perfectly with the scene, and the small porch the entrance of the house.

Actually, my favorite detail is the red car with exchangeable wheel position. :wink: It looks very classy. Also, the selection of minifigs is nice to give a feeling of being back in the 50's. The house is nicely as well. It does seem a bit too wide, but I wouldn't guess it's an odd-number width. That was a great choice, as it makes it easier on symmetrically decorating the facade. The only think I don't like is the white fence extending all the way to the window. It looks a bit out of place there.

Wow! Many things to like here!

The somewhat larger width definatly adds to the amount of details (Mine was 16-wide), and you have some very nice things. To mention a few of the things that I particulalry like; The upside down-ornamentation on the upper floor. The pillars at the foot of the stairs. The white "flower" at the top of the roof.

Car looks nice too, but seems to be only 6-wide¿? I wonder how it would look if you added the folded-down roof behind the seats.

Finally -but not least; thanks for the mention. However, I dont think I can take any credit for thinking of building a row of Painted Ladies-like houses. -But I am indeed happy to have inspired!

Edited by Hoexbroe

Wow, cool moc. I really like the details of the windows and of the stairs. I really like the wheels of the car because they are realistic, the characters that fit perfectly with the scene, and the small porch the entrance of the house.

Thank you, glad you like the details, too. It's nice that there are those rims, they add a lot to the look - without any modification.

Actually, my favorite detail is the red car with exchangeable wheel position. :wink: It looks very classy. Also, the selection of minifigs is nice to give a feeling of being back in the 50's. The house is nicely as well. It does seem a bit too wide, but I wouldn't guess it's an odd-number width. That was a great choice, as it makes it easier on symmetrically decorating the facade. The only think I don't like is the white fence extending all the way to the window. It looks a bit out of place there.

Thanks! Well, one of them is the export version ... :wink: I don't think the house is too wide, it meets the proportions of the original quite well. Of course, as a modular it might look a bit unusual.

Wow! Many things to like here!

The somewhat larger width definatly adds to the amount of details (Mine was 16-wide), and you have some very nice things. To mention a few of the things that I particulalry like; The upside down-ornamentation on the upper floor. The pillars at the foot of the stairs. The white "flower" at the top of the roof.

Car looks nice too, but seems to be only 6-wide¿? I wonder how it would look if you added the folded-down roof behind the seats.

Finally -but not least; thanks for the mention. However, I dont think I can take any credit for thinking of building a row of Painted Ladies-like houses. -But I am indeed happy to have inspired!

Thank you, glad you like the details, too! Of course, the car is 6w - took some time to find a way to do this. There has been a mixture between 6w and 7w cars, and that seems quite logical to me. Thanks for the hint concerning a folded-down roof - hopefully there will be some more versions, and I'll surely add something like it.

I probably wouldn't have thought of the Painted Ladies myself, so it's fair to mention the inspiration. I think it's a nice way to get some color into your city.

The town house looks great and I love the clean simple lines on the car: 6w and seats two abreast without them crunched up against the doors or visibly elevated on jumper plates. Awesome (unless that pic is with legs removed :)

The modular is great :thumbup: :thumbup: I love the colour :wub_drool:

The town house looks great and I love the clean simple lines on the car: 6w and seats two abreast without them crunched up against the doors or visibly elevated on jumper plates. Awesome (unless that pic is with legs removed :)

Thank you, glad you like the car, too! - That's why I have written "2 whole minifigs". :wink:

The modular is great :thumbup: :thumbup: I love the colour :wub_drool:

Thank you!

That car is beautiful! It's got such clean lines and those SNOTty slab sides are pretty near perfect.

The MOC looks great (are you sure it's your first Modular? :classic: ) It's 21-wide and that took me a second or two to process, but I like the proportions. The brightwork and the greebling on the facade adds a lot to quality the overall design.

That car is beautiful! It's got such clean lines and those SNOTty slab sides are pretty near perfect.

The MOC looks great (are you sure it's your first Modular? :classic:) It's 21-wide and that took me a second or two to process, but I like the proportions. The brightwork and the greebling on the facade adds a lot to quality the overall design.

Thank you, glad you like both the car and house! There were one or two smaller buildings and a modded GE so far, but this is the first modular building as a MOC.

Cool design, I could really see a neat city scene built around this!

Very nice modular MOC, I like the overall colour scheme and design. THe garage door looks really nice and I like the stairs and pillars at the base of the stairs. Great building :classic:

Happy building :laugh:

This is a really nice Victorian! I've mentioned before that I like the roof and the pillars at the bottom of the stairs. :wub: A couple of other neat details I've noticed since is the cladding on the garage door and the mail on the front porch.

I didn't realise it was an odd number of studs, which would be an issue if you were using road plates instead of a brick built road. Mind you, it lets you have those lovely big bay windows!

Great build! The house is quite lovely. I think it fits well within the context you are going for. I'd hate to walk up those stairs every day just to get into my house...The working garage door is neat. And I love the pillars at the bottom of the stairs. I may have to borrow that idea for something. I don't know what yet, but they look awesome.

I love that car too. I need to copy that sometime. You are the king of vehicles!

Keep up the great work.

That is gorgeous. I love SF Victorians. I have a very nice Lego model of one in Maersk Blue.

Wonderful house :wub: and excellent period car 'ER0L'.......great work again from you and Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks LT, glad you like it!

Cool design, I could really see a neat city scene built around this!

Thanks jluckhaupt! I can also see a lot of things, but it all takes much time ... :wink:

Very nice modular MOC, I like the overall colour scheme and design. THe garage door looks really nice and I like the stairs and pillars at the base of the stairs. Great building :classic:

Happy building :laugh:

Many thanks timmyc1983! Glad you like the details, too.

This is a really nice Victorian! I've mentioned before that I like the roof and the pillars at the bottom of the stairs. :wub: A couple of other neat details I've noticed since is the cladding on the garage door and the mail on the front porch.

I didn't realise it was an odd number of studs, which would be an issue if you were using road plates instead of a brick built road. Mind you, it lets you have those lovely big bay windows!

Thanks a lot Kristel! Glad you like the mentioned details. Since there's no interior I try at least to include some details on the outside.

It's the idea of that system to omit any baseplate or road plate, so that you are free to combine buildings at any width you want, even change a setting quickly, since there are modules for each purpose, streets with different widths, pavement modules with or without streetlights, ramps and so on.

Great build! The house is quite lovely. I think it fits well within the context you are going for. I'd hate to walk up those stairs every day just to get into my house...The working garage door is neat. And I love the pillars at the bottom of the stairs. I may have to borrow that idea for something. I don't know what yet, but they look awesome.

I love that car too. I need to copy that sometime. You are the king of vehicles!

Keep up the great work.

Thanks TheLegoDr, glad you like it. To be honest, I'd even climb a steeper staircase if I could afford such a house, but you are right, for them it's quite difficult ... :wink: The pillars are a shortened version of the ones used at the Gas Station, I also think the design will be used again ...

That is gorgeous. I love SF Victorians. I have a very nice Lego model of one in Maersk Blue.

Thanks a lot dvsntt, glad you like it. Maersk Blue is surely a great color for something like this, too.

Wonderful work ER0L, this house is beautiful! I love the color combination :classic:

Thanks a lot LGB, glad you like it!

I'd like to add another photo to show the garage door mechanism. I guess this hasn't been done before, at least I haven't seen it so far. Feel free to use it.

9299201378_48488274bc.jpg

Many thanks all for commenting and viewing!

Just a great MOC ER0L! How's the optical illusion of dogs along the top row of blue or am I the only one who can see it? It's only in the top photo though.

Loving the sliding roller door. Can't quiet figure how it works with that photo. Perhaps a front shot may help but it looks great and I definitely haven't seen it done like this before and I can't wait to give it ago. Quick question, how did you SNOT the top white 8L plates?

Thanks for sharing another great MOC.

Ha, I see the dogs in that first photo now that you said that. The more I look at this MOC, the more I really admire it. The SNOT building to get the architectural details in that scale was brilliant. Alot of it I don't even know how it was done. The garage door mechanism, are those mini-fig hands inside headlight bricks? I like the way that it works, I'm going to try it out and use that somewhere. And I really found the road building style interesting, had not seen that before. This is a really talented build.