Techno_Knight

Best sets for stop motions?

Hello and sorry if this thread exists but i couldn't find anything related by using the search function. Anyway, here goes: For the past two years i'm trying to make some stop motions. I bought a dslr nikon camera, a tripod, the latest photoshop and after effects and all that. I wrote dozens of scripts ranging from 1,000 to 3,000 and even 5,000 words but i could never figure out the scenery. I live in Greece so Lego sets are seriously overpriced so i have to buy them online. I gave my old lego bricks to my cousins so now i have to start again. Now, my question is: Which of the sets thta can be found in lego's website would you consider pffer the best amount of useful bricks that can be used to make the scenery? I have a budget of around 300-400 euro (or 390-520 dollars) with shipping icluded. I will have lego sed the sets to a friend of mine in America and then he will ship them loose to me. Anyway, i'd love to hear your opinions and any help is appreciated!

I recommend you adapt your scripts to your resources. It seems like anything is possible with Lego, but stop motion is time-consuming and, as you say, expensive. Instead of emulating huge adventure films, watch small, low-budget films for ideas.

If by 'scenery' you really mean the 'set', (As in a movie set) then it depends.

But if you mean scenery as in extra details like rocks, trees, water fountains, Ect...then Bricklink is the place to go.

I'd say the Modular Buildings are good, as far as pre-made Lego sets go, since they contain some basic minifigures, lots of bricks for walls, and a bunch of smaller parts for all those wonderful details. Plus, a good price to piece count. If you know what you want/what you will need, then Bricklink would be cheaper, and you could get exactly what you want. But you asked for advice from Lego.com, so I stuck to that.

Does that help?

Hi

City and modulars will give you a normal background for stories.

If you like horror stuff or monster and werewolf movies i recommend the Monster theme. The sets are often discounted, the hounted house is GREAT for movies and has interior. Your can easily add the other smaller sets to expand your characters.

If you open the HH xou can have all your scenes there, then close it and you have outdoor scenes. Domething you can not do easily with modulars.

If younonly have ONE house it does not matter IF it is the HH. All your stories can be at night :) already afraid? Or convinced about the HH? ;)

I would say with 200-300€ you will get the Hounted house plus 2-3-4 good smaller sets as adds.

The HH is an exclusive. If you get it via USA, then you could EASILY sell it agai in greece while it is not available there. Manybe even with a small plus.

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

I wouldn't really recommend using actual Lego sets for "the set". I'd recommend buying individual bricks off of bricklink, as while making the animation you'd more often then not find yourself using walls and trees, instead of a whole building per se. Remember that you only should build what the camera will see.

Hey! I'm working on brickfilms myself. Really what you need Is an array of parts. A good start is just a box with pieces, a city set, and (as has been said) bricklinks. I use baseplates for backgrounds and pick up a few special "scene" pieces online but mostly use bricks from a box of generic bricks.

As many people have said modular sets are good creator houses and Lego city sets are also good background.