The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I quite like this, although I have to agree with sonicstarlight that it lacks the elegance of the PS, which is my absolute favourite of the modulars thus far. But I've found that I'm always more impressed when I actually see the finished thing in front of me than the first time I see the pictures, so I'm very much looking forward to purchasing and building this :)

And the pub/bar seems to be called The Highlander, which is hilarious. That's a pub/restaurant in Billund, where LEGO people tend to go to eat and drink :)

It appeared for the first time in Toy Workshop, October's Lego Store freebie

That's not entirely correct - it's been in a couple of this year's early City sets as well. But it's a 2014 part, that's right.

That is glorious! That more than makes up for my disappointment at missing out on the Town Hall. Besides - the Downtown New York feel of this set is much more appealing to me than the Town Hall's upmarket refinement!

This makes building #5 since the Emporium... do you suppose we're due for another Mini Modulars set? As an owner of the first one, I'd love to expand the tiny street, but I don't know if that set sold well enough for Lego to bother producing round 2.

Wow, I go away for a couple days and there are 5+ more pages of comments here...haha, Sunday morning reading. Great to see images finally. My first impression, just from a glance I saw 'Bike Shop' street...LOL. I like it, I do need to see more photos and greater detail though, before passing judgement. It does seem interior biased to me though. Flattish fronts on the two buildings. They aren't separatable either it looks.

I love on the back box photo, its next to the PR.....not sure I want to eat there anymore..LOL. I think they picked the adjoining buildings in that photo to only show 2 level modulars. I think if one of the others (3 levels) were in the photo, the height difference would be quite pronounced. I can work with that though.

Thats a lot of dark flesh brick profile on the DO building. Maybe too much for me. That particular brick only comes in a 1x4 in the dark flesh color, so that explains its use. The other colors, like light bluish gray only comes as a 1x2.

I will be buying one, maybe two, at some point. I have to say though, for me, like the PR, it has tons of interior details, but I have found, I will take it apart to see the interiors for a little while, but then it doesn't come apart. I just look at the exteriors, and maybe they are a little flat for me. I am sure it will all blend together after a while though.

Oh and also, I like how its using parts I would never of known about, from lines of sets I wouldn't ever buy. Puts new ideas in my head too!

You can see in the pic that brick comes in 1x2 as well, I'm pretty sure I own some 1x2 dark flesh brick bricks as well.

That is tan, not some kind of yellow, on the bottom floor of the dtective building, right? Because it's the same color as the legs of a couple of the minifigs, and I doubt those are yellow. Seems like the images are very high on the brightness level.

There's some great details (that we can see so far) - I like the windows (stickers or not, doesn't bug me), the water tower on the roof, pool sign, etc. I liked the scissors on the friends set so it's interesting to see a different version. If it's too busy, I might cut down on some of the street level activity. This might be one of the few sets I consider getting 2 of, if my wallet can handle it.

On another note, do many people switch the classic faces with modern ones?

I'm thinking of grabbing the scale issue by buying two sets and building the second one as a mirror image.

This way I get a blue building that is 32-wide, counting the balconies, or 20-wide without them. That should look good in proportion to the other modulars.

As for the DA part, it's 16-wide as it is. I would build one according to the instructions and for the second one, the mirror image, use some other colours so it doesn't look too much like a copy of the original.

Edited by finnbricker

That is tan, not some kind of yellow, on the bottom floor of the dtective building, right? Because it's the same color as the legs of a couple of the minifigs, and I doubt those are yellow. Seems like the images are very high on the brightness level.

I believe it's the light yellow found in the friends line

Official Lego colour name: brick yellow

Bricklink colour name: tan

This may be the cause of the confusion about the yellow colour of the ground floor.

Official Lego colour name: brick yellow

Bricklink colour name: tan

This may be the cause of the confusion about the yellow colour of the ground floor.

So it's not cool yellow?

https://www.flickr.c...04/15620109787/

Here's a comparison between cool yellow and tan (brick yellow), I do believe it is the first one

PS: cool yellow in not bright yellow which is classic lego yellow (minifig heads,...)

Edited by mapimi

So it's not cool yellow?

Here's a comparison between cool yellow and tan (brick yellow), I do believe it is the first one

PS: cool yellow in not bright yellow which is classic lego yellow (minifig heads,...)

But on the box cover picture, ground floor looks exactly the same as the minifig's legs, so unless those are also cool yellow, which I doubt... but I hope you're right, we've got enough tan already :)

Edited by bjorn77

Just fantastic. The best part to me is the size difference. It was strange to me to have very building be nearly the same size, up until 10224 Town Hall. The video/announcement can't come fast enough now..as well as January!

Speaking of colors, what's the lighter blue on the upper floors of the barbershop? I don't think it's Medium Blue because the cop's torso looks darker than the wall. It also doesn't look green enough to be Medium Azur, so the most likely candidate is Light Royal Blue, which I would welcome since we haven't gotten many basic bricks in that shade yet.

I can't figure out how many minifigures are there, seem to be 6 of them pictured on the front of the box, but then there's another guy in a red cap that appears on the back.

I think that guy is the guy with hair on the front of the box (blue shirt, dark trousers).

So it's not cool yellow?

The tan in your image is way off. In real life it is much yellowish, so I think it's just good old tan.

How the hell do you do it LEGO? :laugh: This set might be the best modular period.

The tan in your image is way off. In real life it is much yellowish, so I think it's just good old tan.

Blame LDD ^^ but seriously, the image on the edge which shows the back can't be tan, it's not that yellow

The picture is not very good. As far as the pub colour is concerned, it is most definitely tan. But what about the window frames of the barber shop? Are they really medium blue? Now that would be something!

What do you think about the baseplate? Yes, it's sort of nice to get a new colour with every modular, but no, I wouldn't want to pay for them making baseplates in new colours just for one modular set. It has to have an impact on the price. I'd rather have them use that money to expand the building itself. A tan or green baseplate would be just fine.

There's a lot to like here, although I've got to say the exterior seems a bit flatter than usual in spite of the masonry bricks. I like the ruggedness of the left side, but might want to change the color scheme on the right. Will be very curious to see the designer video for this.

If you look at the back picture there is a picture of what looks like a toilet then next to it there is a picture with a desk. Can anyone tell what parts they are using for the lamp on that desk? It looks to me like a bankers lamp which is a style of lamp I have been trying to build for a while now :)

Not quite; it's actually the fist from Hero Factory:

93575.jpg

(Image from bricklink)

That is absolutely genius. I love the amount of detail they put into these sets.

-Sci

I absolutely adore it. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I love the color choices (no most real cities are not pure earthtones. You do get some painted buildings breaking up the landscape. This strikes the right balance, not being too colorful like the Creator ones. I love the touches of weathering and age on the buildings. The use of highly unusual pieces for architectural details is mindblowing. The Unikitty tail. The Bionacle fists. The new mini ball joints! :cry_happy:

As far as those complaining that this is "too American" or "New York". It's a little more than that. It reminds me more of the generic city streets that you find at actual Hollywood studios, such as Universal Studios. As such it has a subtle tie to or blending with the PC. Is this a city street? Or the studio set of a Detective Movie?

Not everyone seems to like it, but i really love it. I just need to have it! Luckly i make my own money now and this shall be the first big lego set i invest it in. Does anyone have any clue when this will be avaible?

I'm wondering if there should a poll taken.....who likes or dislikes this design and maybe what direction they would like to see the modular series take ?