The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

They offered me a flat $25 worth of VIP points when I purchased my busted up TH. Free Lego is a beautiful thing.

same here - bonus wonderful during double VIP points time.

The TH popped up as 'call to check availability' today, on S@H USA, so I called, and told me they didn't have any...told me to check 3rd party retailers.... I guess the couple units that popped up got sold.

The TH popped up as 'call to check availability' today, on S@H USA, so I called, and told me they didn't have any...told me to check 3rd party retailers.... I guess the couple units that popped up got sold.

I didn't want one, but I called anyway and was also told it was no longer available. There really isn't a need to have this revolving door of status when a product is near the end of the line. In my opinion, once released, it's either in stock, back ordered or retired.

Edited by Off the wall

Am I the only one who sees it as a great opportunity to release a Modular Railway station that would combine fans of train sets with fans of modulars into one? Recent trains seem to have extraordinarily improved in design and proportion, and are marketed as Creator Expert already. Seems just like a logical step to me, if not next year, somewhere in the future. I am really tempted by the trains, but there's a missing connection. It would get train people into buildings, and vice versa.

Edited by Sven F

Am I the only one who sees it as a great opportunity to release a Modular Railway station that would combine fans of train sets with fans of modulars into one? Recent trains seem to have extraordinarily improved in design and proportion, and are marketed as Creator Expert already. Seems just like a logical step to me, if not next year, somewhere in the future. I am really tempted by the trains, but there's a missing connection. It would get train people into buildings, and vice versa.

It's a great idea. But, the world of Modulars seems to be torn between building an adult oriented city (where your idea would be great) and those who want to duplicate their little sisters doll house (PR and probably the rumored detective agency.....a building way down the list of my priorities). Anyway, great idea. But as long as Jamie the designer is in control, you're more likely to get an American Girl store theme than you are a railway station.

Having a modular-style train station for my Midnight Express would be a blessing. My only concern would be whether Lego would try to include a train and track along with it. Thus leading to a higher price tag and a train and more track that I don't need. But, man, a Victorian-era train station...(drool).

As far an an American Girl modular goes, my daughter could use a set to beef up the Friends mall! A doll store for mini dolls!

I kid, I kid!

In the real world Railway stations tend to be large stand alone structures, that are not built on to other buildings, even in the biggest of cities. Of course there are exceptions, Many London Underground stations were built in to streets in a style that would suit a modular very well, but then the trains themselves were completely out of sight underground! And thats the problem, where do the trains go, out of sight behind the other modulars? Running along the front instead of a road? Problem is mainline railways and city streets do not mix very well.

My own plan is to have tracks and platforms to the front then 2150 station building, which is rather nice architectually and if you get two back to back you could sort of Modularise it in so far as you can convert it to have stacking floors. It would still be a stand alone building mind. Then I would have the street with the modulars behind.

Edited by Heppeng

Having a modular-style train station for my Midnight Express would be a blessing. My only concern would be whether Lego would try to include a train and track along with it. Thus leading to a higher price tag and a train and more track that I don't need. But, man, a Victorian-era train station...(drool).

As far an an American Girl modular goes, my daughter could use a set to beef up the Friends mall! A doll store for mini dolls!

I kid, I kid!

I have to walk by the American Girl store as I go into the mall. What a success! Long lines, always. People have driven for hours to get there and actually make a weekend trip out of it. Actually, a modular toy store based on American Girl would probably be a huge seller. And Jamie has the skills to make it happen.

I personally wouldn't mind a train station, but the ones I have been in have huge spaces, so you wouldn't get the traditional 3 floor setup we are accustomed to, it would need to be 2 or 3 floors of space, but only one main floor, in that case making up for it by having a train with a coal car would be ok, but it would have to be old style train with an old style station. I am a fan of the midnight express but not the horizon and the newer ones as much.

So for a short time on shop.lego.com last night Town Hall was listed as "Call for availabilty" instead of "Sold out."

So I called, after a few minutes I was told it was sold out and not coming back.

When I woke up this morning I had 3 emails from lego

1)Thank you for your order

2)Sorry but the item is out of stock, we won't charge you until it ships

3)Your item shipped (it turns out only the free gift winter village set shipped)

Confused I called back, explained the situation, asked what did they even charge it to because I provided no billing info, last I heard it was out of stock.

After a few minutes the guy confirmed it is out of stock, it's not coming back, the other person accidentally created the order yesterday, and there are no billing details. Since the free gift already shipped, enjoy it- they can't take it back. Cancelled the rest of the order.

I think it would be too much to include a train and tracks, that would be up to you as the whole building would likely be quite large to start with, but the whole "modularity" aspect of it would come in handy if it was made in a way so you could expand it by buying multiple sets, (for those who want more) I think that seems to be the idea with modulars anyway.

There is a very interesting railway station in Antwerp, Belgium, it's not only a beautiful old building, but it also has several levels for trains which could possibly make it fit into a 32x32 space. True about stations normally being stand alone buildings though, but so are town halls, and we had that. Lots of European cities have a railway station right in the central square.

So for a short time on shop.lego.com last night Town Hall was listed as "Call for availabilty" instead of "Sold out."

So I called, after a few minutes I was told it was sold out and not coming back.

When I woke up this morning I had 3 emails from lego

1)Thank you for your order

2)Sorry but the item is out of stock, we won't charge you until it ships

3)Your item shipped (it turns out only the free gift winter village set shipped)

Confused I called back, explained the situation, asked what did they even charge it to because I provided no billing info, last I heard it was out of stock.

After a few minutes the guy confirmed it is out of stock, it's not coming back, the other person accidentally created the order yesterday, and there are no billing details. Since the free gift already shipped, enjoy it- they can't take it back. Cancelled the rest of the order.

Lego is retiring this set for only 2.5 years?

In Europe, it's also out of stock and the ship date is mid-November.

I'm wondering if I need to order now...

Lego is retiring this set for only 2.5 years?

In Europe, it's also out of stock and the ship date is mid-November.

I'm wondering if I need to order now...

If I needed GE or TH, and had an opportunity of buying them at regular retail price, I'd go ahead and do it. All signs point to retirement.

I think it would be too much to include a train and tracks, that would be up to you as the whole building would likely be quite large to start with, but the whole "modularity" aspect of it would come in handy if it was made in a way so you could expand it by buying multiple sets, (for those who want more) I think that seems to be the idea with modulars anyway.

There is a very interesting railway station in Antwerp, Belgium, it's not only a beautiful old building, but it also has several levels for trains which could possibly make it fit into a 32x32 space. True about stations normally being stand alone buildings though, but so are town halls, and we had that. Lots of European cities have a railway station right in the central square.

Could a classic train station be handled in the same way Lego handled the Imperial Hotel in the archetecture series? That is, you didn't get the entire hotel, just the landmark, classic portion of it.

I would definitely put in an order at retail price if you can on Town Hall... Two reps have now told me the same thing- that said I will continue to check the status a few times a day until it says "Retired Product" instead of "Sold Out."

It doesn't matter how long since a product was release. It's all about demand for the product. A very good example of early retirement would be the UCS b-wing. Lasted less than 18 months, already went on sale 50% off before the anniversary it was released.

Edited by namioik

They were going to make more TH sets...but then they realized all the clock faces got used up on the Santa's workshop sets...haha! :-)

Perhaps a terminus station with tracks running perpendicular to the road, avoiding issues such as tracks/platforms running behind existing modulars, and allowing multiples of the set to create wider station with more platforms.

A train is as long as 4 buildings. The engine, as long as one.

What do you picture with this set?

I can imagine a 2,200 piece train station, and a 32 stud facade reminiscent of a European city terminus. What I can't imagine is a neat - at modular scale - building with the functionality to house the train. The subway entrance thought is cool, but a bit of a tease don't you think?

I would say a modular train station highlighting the primary street facing portions of the terminal would be welcomed. I think what's behind the building, as far as tracks, trains, etc, could/should largely be left to MOC and the individual train enthusiasts creativity. I love some of the old, restored train stations in the USA.

Maybe LEGO can release a companion series called 'Modular Streets' that goes in front of the current Modular Buildings. And the showcase set has elevated train tracks over the streets and an elevated train station like the ones in New York City.

A train is as long as 4 buildings. The engine, as long as one.

What do you picture with this set?

I can imagine a 2,200 piece train station, and a 32 stud facade reminiscent of a European city terminus. What I can't imagine is a neat - at modular scale - building with the functionality to house the train. The subway entrance thought is cool, but a bit of a tease don't you think?

I would say a modular train station highlighting the primary street facing portions of the terminal would be welcomed. I think what's behind the building, as far as tracks, trains, etc, could/should largely be left to MOC and the individual train enthusiasts creativity. I love some of the old, restored train stations in the USA.

Which what I was thinking, perhaps half the building would be the station building itself, while the other, back half is for example, the ends of the track with a covered glass roof above, which modders can replicate to create the rest of the platform (like how you need to buy multiple Midnight Expresses to create more than one carriage, or multiple Pet Shops to create a row of Brownstones, or perhaps, use common pieces for said roof), perhaps the ground floor can be a concourse with shop/coffee shop and a ticket office, with stairs leading up to a restaurant on a mezzanine, and have the rest of the building as a void creating a grand hall.

I sort of pictured it as just a building, without any particular enclosed space to house any trains except perhaps a short overhang on where the tracks would begin. (that way, people who didn't want to get into trains or didn't have the space for it, wouldn't have to). It would be a very hard task to accomplish, especially if the 32 studs limit is carved in stone at TLG which probably has more to do with cost efficiency than principles, but I am sure a clever designer *cough!jaime* could accomplish a complete product that would satisfy most of us very hard-to-please AFOL's.

Well... wishful thinking anyway... as long as there is interest, there's a chance the bug gets to a certain ear. :wink:

From looking at pictures of classic train stations, seems like many of them have large, multi story, open interiors. If I start an MOC, I'd almost need a 64 study wide platform to work with. I've expanded TH to 64 wide and GE to 96 wide. I've got a lot of bricks left over, especially the tan/light yellow ones, from GE. Maybe I'll put a couple of my left over plates together and see what happens. I've got an extra PC that I can open up for arches, windows etc.

You've got me thinking...........