The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Ok, you got me there. I should have said "Bureau is a very common word in the Dutch language." ;)

and yet, growing up in the US, my grandfather used to call his dresser/chest of drawers a bureau...maybe it will be a giant chest of drawers with little Lego detectives stored away

I jest of course, but I think we have a bit of time to go before the official announcement, still, you also have news bureaus at newspapers so the meaning of the word is semantic into the context you are discussing, I believe from the word, they are just meaning an organization, which would be apropos in any country...which means more than one detective at least.

I don't think anyone should get their "hopes" up the set will be called something something Bureau in English. :wink:

Bureau is a work place, an office. Don't worry because of the more famous representations of the word, Lego will not use it that way.

If the new modular gets a January 1st release we may get pics soon based on previous years:

Parisian Restaurant: release January 1st 2014, first pics emerged first weekend of october 2013.

Palace Cinema: release March 1st 2013, first pics emerged end of December 2012.

I see where GE is now listed as sold out in lego.com land. Yesterday, it was still available with a shipping date of Sept 29. I also noticed that my credit card had authorizations/pending transactions on it this morning for the GE. Maybe I'll have them next week.

I see where GE is now listed as sold out in lego.com land. Yesterday, it was still available with a shipping date of Sept 29. I also noticed that my credit card had authorizations/pending transactions on it this morning for the GE. Maybe I'll have them next week.

Indeed, its sold out now. Along with the Haunted House, which ended the Monster Fighters Theme. Now they are pushing out the VW Camper, with a free mini van with purchase. All 3 of these sets have been on the top sellers list for weeks, even though they all were back ordered for most of that time.

Hmm, it seems we're all doing the same thing. I woke up yesterday morning at 0600 Pacific Time, ordered the GE, checked again at 0700 and it was "Sold Out". Hopefully they wouldn't oversell their stock, I really want my Classic Space guy bonus!

It also sounds like the Detective Agency (Bureau, Station) will have a bar of some kind with it, if so, I think I might be mostly excited about that.

Where did you hear that it will have a bar? That's new to me.

On Brickset, there is some discussion about this. They also mention that it will not be "retro" style, whatever that may mean. I would like to see how you could pull of modern architecture and still make an attractive set. When I think of modern, I think of boring cubism and comparative lack of detail to buildings of earlier time periods. A strip mall comes to mind, among other things. Details, especially on the exterior, is crucial to me for buying a modular. If I want modern architecture, I could buy the City fire station, police station, etc. I am hoping for something like Baker Street, a brownstone, or some type of older building that could house the detective agency. A bar or similar establishment would be nice for the ground floor. Hope the design video will come out soon.

The Australian lego.com currently has the GE in stock, do you think it is worth buying one?? It seems they are hard to come by now...

I don't think the rumor is of a modern building exactly, just a newer style than some of the others. There are a lot of nice 1950s buildings that come to mind. I'm hoping for dark, rich colors, use of the brick moulded pieces and a brick built sign or billboard.

More modern style? I guess as mentioned before Streamline Moderne would fit, while keeping in modular character. I'm thinking a corner building done in mostly brick yellow (that is the palest brown right?), with the corner of the upper two floors using 1x1 transparent bricks set on hinged pieces to create the image of a glass brick curved wall. The sidewalk is sheltered by a black and white veranda/canopy thing (the architectural term escapes me) that follows the curved shape of the building. Use of silver metal bricks as chrome embellishments. Add some horizontal stripes on the ground floor, and a flat roof etc.

I don't think Astrid was the problem. Town Hall itself was the problem. So hugely and terribly boring concept.

Still, I think Jamie has better techniques. It also goes for the Cinema...

I don't think Astrid was the problem. Town Hall itself was the problem. So hugely and terribly boring concept.

I might be in the minority, but i love the Town Hall. It's grandeur, the interior is fantastic, and I love how it's the grand building in a town layout. For me the Parisian Restaurant and Market Street are the biggest let downs in the range, and Market St is considered by some not to be a modular.

I might be in the minority, but i love the Town Hall. It's grandeur, the interior is fantastic, and I love how it's the grand building in a town layout. For me the Parisian Restaurant and Market Street are the biggest let downs in the range, and Market St is considered by some not to be a modular.

Glendo, I'm in agreement with you on PR and TH. Don't even try to explain. Not worth your time. As for me, well, PR took the 'A' out of AFOL. I do like and respect MS, simply for its history and the man who designed it.

Ohh man...I do understand some fans are disappointed with MS ( I Love it ),, but when you say: PR let you down??!!..this is so strange?..

The size of the new modular will be interesting. The PR looks a bit "slim" (compared to the PS) but it has great details and interiors. I hope it will be a bit bigger with less interiors because it is easy to build a sofa, chair or bed.

Edited by Robert_88

As for me, well, PR took the 'A' out of AFOL.

Can you elaborate on this please? I am genuinely curious why do you think so :)

Can you elaborate on this please? I am genuinely curious why do you think so :)

I've explained before and all it's done is lead to unpleasantries. I've promised the moderators I'd behave and not start disputes.