The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

An interesting new contest has just been launched on LEGO Ideas. They want people to design a vintage car to go alongside the modular buildings and the winning design will be turned in to a future gift with purchase set.

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/bafd4186-bb49-4eb0-903f-910415f04391?query=&sort=top

Well, let's hope that means that they won't annoy us with a parts-wasting vehicle in the next one, then :excited::wink:

That contest sounds like it has a lot of potential to produce a really nice car.  Then again, the last Ideas GWP contest had ... unexpected results.  Maybe we'll end up with a horse and buggy!

42 minutes ago, icm said:

Maybe we'll end up with a horse and buggy!

Sounds nice to me :tongue:

Interesting Modular-related competition - thanks for sharing Bricked1980!

I wonder whether we could get an ambulance, mail truck / postal delivery van, paddy wagon / police car or similar to ... "encourage" Lego to release a Modular Hospital, Post Office or Police Station? It would be nice to have some ... representation of those essential city services even if it's just a vehicle without an accompanying Modular building.

I think they need to announce the next modular focus immediately, such that the corresponding vehicle in question would be a logical match.  Sure that means announcing the building type early, but I don’t think any of the modular fans would argue otherwise!  Anyone else support me on this?  :tongue:

15 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

Well, let's hope that means that they won't annoy us with a parts-wasting vehicle in the next one, then :excited::wink:

Amen to that, brother. :thumbup:

On 10/11/2019 at 2:14 AM, SFmuscle73 said:

I think they need to announce the next modular focus immediately, such that the corresponding vehicle in question would be a logical match.  Sure that means announcing the building type early, but I don’t think any of the modular fans would argue otherwise!  Anyone else support me on this?  :tongue:

When do we expect the next modular to be announced? Can’t be too much longer surely?

If I wasn't so busy with other things (like getting ready for the next LEGO show) I would make something that looks like an old school Ute (also known as a pickup truck in countries other than Australia). Not a big pickup truck but one of the more car-like pickups. Done in the right style and color (maybe something like azure or dark green or some other color we don't see as much of) I think it would be very cool as a set.

Hey guys, haven’t been online for a few weeks, do we have any information about the new modular? :classic:

24 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Hey guys, haven’t been online for a few weeks, do we have any information about the new modular? :classic:

Nope. Just a competition to design a vehicle GWP. No clue as to what type of vehicle would be suitable, though. 

Maybe in about a month we should know what the 2020 modular is. This vintage car desgin contest is cool. I'm guessing it'll be released to go witht he purchase of the 2020 modular. 

Anyone else remember that the designer of the DD wanted it to origonally be a car sales garage?

They said in reports about the diner that they couldn't make a car dealer work in the modulars so I doubt they are doing that for 2020.

I have little interest in cars and it has definitely been enough car focus in the last 2 modulars, so hopefully nothing car related in the next :devil: A GWP is a great way to do it, put the car there and more animal moulds in the modular instead :tongue:

16 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I have little interest in cars and it has definitely been enough car focus in the last 2 modulars, so hopefully nothing car related in the next :devil: A GWP is a great way to do it, put the car there and more animal moulds in the modular instead :tongue:

Agree! There isn’t space on my shelf for another car...! And however many pieces they use for the car, they just seem to remove from the detail of set. Like the missing floor in the corner garage, missing table in and depth of the diner and third floor of the cinema!

7 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

This vintage car desgin contest is cool. I'm guessing it'll be released to go witht he purchase of the 2020 modular. 

The contest is running until November 20th and the winner is annnounced on December 11th. So I reckon it's unlikely this GWP vehicle will be produced and ready to release at the same time as the new modular in January.

If Jamie gets his way, it’ll be a hotel? I think he dropped a massive hint in that interview a couple years back, and we’ve had all other rumoured sets really. The garage was rumoured when the Diner was, and instead it followed the year after. 

a vintage car would sit nicely outside a hotel too, but I agree that’s most likely for next year‘s set (2021). 

1 minute ago, RuffDraft said:

If Jamie gets his way, it’ll be a hotel?

Cafe corner had a hotel as part of it, though that’s coming up to 13 years old now.  Plus CC had no interior.  Is a hotel a possibility with CC?

Just now, Vilhelm22 said:

Cafe corner had a hotel as part of it, though that’s coming up to 13 years old now.  Plus CC had no interior.  Is a hotel a possibility with CC?

Yeah, but he sort of dismissed it when he was asked. He seems to think it doesn’t classify as a hotel, though I completely agree with you. 

I think it’d be completely different. Does seem like too much of a crossover, but if Jamie thinks it... I do agree too... so many mini figures and nowhere for them to live. 

I’d still love a police station. I would never buy one of the City set versions. 

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I love cars and, for some reason, have xero interest in seeing them in modulars :classic:

8 hours ago, Tim182 said:

Agree! There isn’t space on my shelf for another car...! And however many pieces they use for the car, they just seem to remove from the detail of set. Like the missing floor in the corner garage, missing table in and depth of the diner and third floor of the cinema!

PR is almost as deep as DD and doesn't have a car. From personal experience, I can tell you that it's very easy to go over the 2200-2500 piece range, even as much as 4000 pieces in a single 32x32 just in adding small detailing.

23 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Nice to see you back!! As always, teasing with us.

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

The contest is running until November 20th and the winner is annnounced on December 11th. So I reckon it's unlikely this GWP vehicle will be produced and ready to release at the same time as the new modular in January.

My first thought was promo for the Creator Expert large vehicle. But if like this year with the Mustang, it's in March, that's also unlikely. Maybe for 2021 modular? Honestly, it sounds like that flower cart polybag they did for DO in 2015. A complement that works well in any modular.

24 minutes ago, paupadros said:

I love cars and, for some reason, have xero interest in seeing them in modulars :classic:

PR is almost as deep as DD and doesn't have a car. From personal experience, I can tell you that it's very easy to go over the 2200-2500 piece range, even as much as 4000 pieces in a single 32x32 just in adding small detailing.

I just meant that Lego seems to be limiting the 32x32 modulars to around 2500 pieces, probably due to the price point. So if there’s a car with 200 pieces, that leaves 200 less pieces for interior detail or additional structure on the main building! To me it feels like that happened on both the Diner and Cinema. 

I’ll take detail and size over a car any day! 

9 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Cafe corner had a hotel as part of it, 

Hardly, all it had was a sign reading "Hotel". No reception, no beds, no lift with scissor gates... It was no more a hotel than DO was a police station. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:40 PM, Kalahari134 said:

Hardly, all it had was a sign reading "Hotel". No reception, no beds, no lift with scissor gates... It was no more a hotel than DO was a police station. 

Honestly. A hotel/apartment would be nice too, as each level could have it's own unique floor layout if they wanted.

I´m suddenly guessing (or wishig for) a museum since the newly released Ideas set 21320 Dinosaur Fossils would make an excellent addition! :)