The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, TheBeefThief said:

If they include motorcycles instead of cars, it will allow more pieces to be used in the building instead of the vehicles ??

I was just thinking this exact thing. They could do a European type building with mopeds instead of cars. 

Thats my only worry. I think it’ll need at lest two cars, which could add quite a bit to the price.

Whoop! A leak! I think the idea of a garage is cool! We have nothing like it, so it should be a really fun build! I love the idea of a mini figure with the mask on as he’s working with the blow torch on the car, and if they could have one of those lifts for the car themselves, I think that would be really cool, so the mechanics can work underneath the vehicles etc. too! Tyre racks, workshop table etc. 

This could be awesome! 

Hm,let's see hope things play out.

Garage could be awesome, or it could be bad. Without any additional info, it's absoluitely pointless to speculate or to praise/condemn it.

I'd be absolutely fine if Mike designed the building! The Diner was one of the most enjoyable builds yet, with many moments where great ideas and extraordinary knowledge of Lego geometry led to things fitting together in completely unusual and unexpected ways. Loved that. And the building looks absolutely fabulous with it's sleek lines. As much as I love Jamie's deisgns, it was a real breath of fresh air.

Only possible negative point to take away from that rumor is the high possibility of another build with a car. And I gotta say... "Hey, Lego!!! We're buying these things because we love BUILDINGS! If we want cars, we'll buy them! No need to waste parts on them in the modular line!". Although, in all fairness, it would make a lot more sense to include one in a garage then sticking that pointless pínk thing in with the Diner,

Edited by RogerSmith

8 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

And I gotta say... "Hey, Lego!!! We're buying these things because we love BUILDINGS! If we want cars, we'll buy them! No need to waste parts on them in the modular line!"

So much this. It doesn't help that the cars don't really mesh well with Speed Champions.

7 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

However... I would anticipate that the vast majority of people buying the modulars are AFOLs (or at least TFOLs - teen fans - is that a thing?!), will be more more switched on to social media/online news. Plus, they are far more likely to be anticipating the release schedule, and so would either hold off making purchases awaiting January, or know they can safely wait up to several years to make a purchase (e.g. until x2/x3 VIP points). So ultimately I’m not sure to what extent your counter argument would hold up, or reflect the marketing strategy of TLG.

I can't really back this up, but I suspect more LEGO products are bought for children than for adults, so it makes sense to prioritize their marketing towards kids.

I see the advertising of the modular buildings as basically a one-time short-duration event and only happens when the product is immediately available (one design video, feature in calendar, and cover page on catalog). If LEGO promotes it too early, then they would need to spend more money to advertise again later to remind people that the product is actually available now. So for the best bang of their advertising dollars/euros: advertise to adults that the modular is available now, adults go to the store to check it out, and most importantly, the adults will bring their kids to the store as well (kids usually need adults to buy the products for them). So there you have it: the modulars are to get adults to bring their kids to the store.

Edited by badbob001
typo

40 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

And I gotta say... "Hey, Lego!!! We're buying these things because we love BUILDINGS! If we want cars, we'll buy them! No need to waste parts on them in the modular line!".

I have to completely disagree with this, even though I also love buildings, I love having an occasional car with the sets. I believe that they help build the world that the set and series is meant to represent. They are very much like the minifigures that are included in the sets, as they (like the vehicles) are not buildings or architecture, but entities that populate or stand beside it, and their designs help forward and build the universe this series is set in. The vehicles also make good use of the implied street space, and help with the characters and color balance of the sets. Like the figures, they have purpose and appeal to me. The obvious difference that the vehicles have are the parts that the vehicle potentially takes away from the building. However, the Brick Bank has exactly 100 less pieces than the Downtown Diner, and costs the same (At least in the United States), these sets tend to fluctuate with their piece counts. Not only do they cost the same, but they have very similar levels of detail, perhaps the Diner has even more than the bank. I counted 106 parts in the pink car, and as I can easily see the set dropping those pieces by ditching the vehicle, and while doing so maintain it's level of detail and it's price. Thus I believe that we are only getting more content by having a vehicle, not less.

I understand why you and so many others dislike vehicles in the modular line, and I understand that I may be biased in making this point because I enjoy vehicles (not as much as buildings, but still a considerable amount). But at the end of the day, I don't think that a no-vehicle policy holds enough water to be something that the set designers and producers would be swayed by.

Edited by Overcold

Sounds interesting... I haven’t seen the original post but who says this is real? This may very well be a list prepared by an AFOL... “Creator Garage” seems like a silly name for a modular. Even if this information is correct, I don’t think it will be called “Creator Garage” but “something else Garage”. Also I don’t know what in which architecture a garage could be made except Art Deco, so two Art Deco modulars in a row? Interesting...

Edited by LegoModularFan

1 hour ago, badbob001 said:

I see the advertising of the modular buildings as basically a one-time short-duration event and only happens when the product is immediate available (one design video, feature in calendar, and cover page on catalog).

Interesting thought. To be honest, other than the odd rare set, like the recent UCS falcon, or the first people pack (with the wheelchair), I have no conception of how/to what extent advertising extends beyond the enthusiast community.

I don’t even have a clue as to how many modular sets are sold, and what proportion of those people would be considered serious fans (the cost investment alone would suggest they are not casual purchases).

Agree that it seems unlikely that Art Deco would be presented two consecutive years.  It has always been something completely different from one year to another.  Also, we did get a car last year, so it does seem strange they would go that route again so soon.  Most of the auto garages I imagine are rather unattractive and bland in architecture on the outside.  To me, the exterior detail is the most important aspect of a modular.  If the focus goes to the interior, then it may be a pass for me.  This is not to say that a mechanic's garage could not be done right, but it would be challenging.  Now, if you put a Route 66 sign on the thing, that would incur some incredible bonus points......although I doubt they would present two buildings in a row that would be identified as Americana.  With the rumor of putting a vet on the second floor, that does seem a little bit dark to me, because it could imply the animal(s) got hit by the vehicles for the storyline.

Then again, it will be funny when the announcement comes out, and it is neither a garage, a hotel, a police station, nor a musical venue.   

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

Sounds interesting... I haven’t seen the original post but who says this is real? This may very well be a list prepared by an AFOL... “Creator Garage” seems like a silly name for a modular. Even if this information is correct, I don’t think it will be called “Creator Garage” but “something else Garage”. Also I don’t know what in which architecture a garage could be made except Art Deco, so two Art Deco modulars in a row? Interesting...

I think you have a good point. That image of the list would be extremely easy for anyone to fake. Another thing I notice is that it mentions the next Creator car as being a Ford Mustang. There is no mention of the next fairground set though which I would have expected to see on the list in between the modular and the creator car.

32 minutes ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Didn't it say Mechanics Garage (MG) somewhere?

That name would be more believable than just "Garage". All modular building sets so far have had two word names.

A Garage wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list for a Modular building. I'm not fussed on including cars with Modular buildings and I'm sceptical about the ability to create an interesting façade and multiple upper levels with a ground floor garage.

Something like this, but really expanded upon and improved could be interesting: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Battery_Station_Café,_Fortitude_Valley,_Brisbane.JPG

And the Garage rumour does fit the earlier rumour about the next Modular being at home in the Lego City line. It also makes sense given that the Downtown Diner was originally designed to be a car dealership and the "car" element may have been a source of inspiration for the next Modular.

It is fun to be discussing rumours again! I understand that Lego doesn't like leaks, but if they're not willing to tease us with small reveals, then I'm definitely in favour of rumour-mongering!

I would not be surprised if the next LEGO Modular was not a garage.  The term Creator Garage could refer to a much smaller set.  Are there any other hints besides the term "Creator Garage"?

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

I think you have a good point. That image of the list would be extremely easy for anyone to fake. Another thing I notice is that it mentions the next Creator car as being a Ford Mustang. There is no mention of the next fairground set though which I would have expected to see on the list in between the modular and the creator car.

38 minutes ago, Legodt said:

I would not be surprised if the next LEGO Modular was not a garage.  The term Creator Garage could refer to a much smaller set.  Are there any other hints besides the term "Creator Garage"?

I won't be at all surprised if it isn't a garage. This "leak" isn't from a very reliable source that I can tell, there's no evidence to back it up. Personally, I think it's fake. But, I've shared it here as its a new card on the table in our speculation and discussion. Interpret it how you will.

Motorbike mechanic is an interesting idea, but unless they brick built motorbikes, I don't they would do that. 

If this is indeed a Mechanics Garage, I think they could make a really cool corner building out of it. Have the car coming out a wall on the corner of the first floor, like the designer did for last years...

While I may consider myself to be a certified Art Deco nut, honestly, even I am not really that thrilled about the possibility of another Googie/Populuxe styled modular for the second year in a row. Now, if it took after more of a Jazz Age class of Art Deco architecture, that would be another story... :excited:

5 hours ago, marv said:

That first project is designed by @Robenanne of The Old Fishing Store by the way... :wink:

8 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Hmmm, Creator Ford Mustang...

Indeed! Most intriguing... *huh* *oh2*

4 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Also I don’t know what in which architecture a garage could be made except Art Deco, so two Art Deco modulars in a row? Interesting...

Well, not necessarily. I could see such a set being stylistically more in vein with the Detective's Office than the Downtown Diner. By that, imagine a modular taking after the look and feel of industrial buildings from the first half of the twentieth century.

The designer for DD had other renderings of what the DD would have been if it was a car dealership. It was on a YouTube video. So if it does end up being a garage with other businesses on the other floors it may end up looking really good.

I’m actually shocked at all the negativity in regards to a possible mechanics garage. I’ve long thought it was a great idea. A nice mid century inner city mechanic shop. They can be delightfully cramped and have distinctive front facings. Plus the potential for a ton of details and little builds. 

I agree it will have 2 vehicles. I know some hate those. But this would seem appropriate for the building. I never hear anyone complain about the FB’s Fire Truck. Just the limo and pink car. If the vehicles are needed in context they are fine. This will probably have a period tow truck and a car to be repaired. And before shrieking, among other subjects we have discussed are a Police Station and Post Office. Both of those would have vehicles as well. 

And to address two complaints that are being voiced, but are completely counter to each other... “the cars will eat up too many parts” and “a garage is just a big empty space!!!” Ummm no. The car is the thing that goes IN the garage, filling the space. Also it will be likely the Garage will have plenty of interior detail. A lift for the car to sit on. 

I suspect that it will be a 2 floor building with an elevated ground floor ceiling like the FB. Or at least half of it will be that. City Repair shops can be pretty tight. They could do a split 16x 32 setup like PS. I’m certain the repair bay wiould be off center just to differentiate the front from the FB. I think if the rumor is true it will be a nice set. And have a good crossover appeal from the city and Speed Champions crowd. 

This assumes the rumor is correct, and that listing is not simply referring to a regular Creator set such as the prior cafes etc. 

So, as opposed to something in the vein of 1950's Googie architecture, how about a modular mechanic's shop more akin to this for instance? :shrug_oh_well:

The%20sign%20of%20the%20Golden%20Ball_01

18 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

This assumes the rumor is correct, and that listing is not simply referring to a regular Creator set such as the prior cafes etc. 

Assuming its correct, it says Creator Expert in the right column, and set number 10264 in the left.

Interesting note, I did a reverse image search, and it has no matches. 

Also asked the guy for the whole table, and not just a small cropping, but he said that its a "non-public doc". He also said that "it's 50 - 60's inspired from my understanding".

I hope for something like this style. It would be a completely different style than last year and it could be bright colored, which both can be expected for an official modular building.

They could throw in a motor bike or a scooter next to one or two cars. I'm curious to see the vehicle builds and their size, as I think the Speed Champions are very detailled, but too bulky to fit in with the modular line. I prefer the City vehicles size, but those are very basic.

old-italian-fiat-parked-outside-a-garage

5 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

I hope for something like this style. It would be a completely different style than last year and it could be bright colored, which both can be expected for an official modular building.

This would be cool. Or it could be something more like a garage from the good old Town Plan..? It is a town, and this is 50's...

10184-1.png