The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 1/4/2018 at 8:42 AM, 8BrickMario said:

I think there are enough modular sets by now to complete a full block/ring, so maybe they're starting a new block? The Brick Bank was the fourth corner set, so the end of the "first block", and so maybe now they're going to branch out a bit. Technically, they should have made it clearer by releasing the first corner of the "new block", if that was the case, but maybe they're moving away for more variety that will keep the line on the shelves.

The next block would start after the next corner comes out. If you include AS, you would have a full block minus half of MS(looking at the picture I took last year).  

Which leads to something I was wondering....considering the pattern of a corner & two straights, I wonder what next years will be. I’m thinking AS was sort of a “one off” & isn’t part of the pattern, due to it being a celebration of its predecessors & it’s size.  So, I think next year will give us another straight. 

7f9dec39155f6585e46602220a5fbcf2.jpg1200px-Theatre-des-champs-elysees-.jpg1a29ab4b2101e9a30bd006c44d22d97e.jpgAmerican_Radiator_Building-Bryant-Park-HHi !  I’m new to this forum and It is very interesting for me to see what other people think about the modular buildings ! sorry for my english, in fact I’m a french-canadian ;) 

I like the DD and I also love Art Deco !

here’s some Art Deco buildings and details that I love:2648054244_0e38a269ab_b.jpglh-adventure-august-2013_dunkles-gulf-stedd416a576bf11db1977299fd7eae005.jpg

2 hours ago, Gribz said:

Hi !  I’m new to this forum and It is very interesting for me to see what other people think about the modular buildings !

Hi Gribz and welcome to the forum! I too love those classic Art Deco skyscrapers (the Radiator Building :wub:) and would love to see some buildings in that style in the modular line.

Hey guys, I found some interesting videos about the DD!

First video: If you have the NC and you don’t want to buy the DD, you can... and it looks quite interesting too :grin:

Second video is another video that I found about the design process of the DD, you can learn much more than the designer video:

And here is again a video from the same event filmed in a different angle (that I already posted):

And finally an interview with Mike by Zusammengebaut (that I already posted too):

Edited by LegoModularFan

If you guys check out Reddit: Lego under the tag New Set/Leak, there are some leaked images of the six sets being released this spring for Avengers: Infinity War, and the largest set of the wave is basically... a modular building (closely at least). :oh:

On 1/5/2018 at 10:40 PM, Gribz said:

Hi! I’m new to this forum and It is very interesting for me to see what other people think about the modular buildings ! sorry for my english, in fact I’m a french-canadian ;) 

I like the DD and I also love Art Deco !

Hey there, welcome to Eurobricks! :classic:

I myself am another Art Deco junkie, and you've certainly have some awesome taste in Deco architecture! :blush:

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

If you guys check out Reddit: Lego under the tag New Set/Leak, there are some leaked images of the six sets being released this spring for Avengers: Infinity War, and the largest set of the wave is basically... a modular building (closely at least). :oh:

Hey there, welcome to Eurobricks! :classic:

I myself am another Art Deco junkie, and you've certainly have some awesome taste in Deco architecture! :blush:

It has the external detail of a modular, but it's clearly a hinged dollhouse, and its floorplan is not going to be able to integrate. While it could be a nice starting point for a modular build, it's more like the Haunted House than Ninjago City, and is not at all designed to be grouped with the modular buildings. Even Ninjago City's compatibility is a bit of a throwaway given its lack of design integration with the existing street, and this is just a very pretty separate model like the HH, but smaller.

Edited by 8BrickMario

1 hour ago, 8BrickMario said:

It has the external detail of a modular, but it's clearly a hinged dollhouse, and its floorplan is not going to be able to integrate. While it could be a nice starting point for a modular build, it's more like the Haunted House than Ninjago City, and is not at all designed to be grouped with the modular buildings. Even Ninjago City's compatibility is a bit of a throwaway given its lack of design integration with the existing street, and this is just a very pretty separate model like the HH, but smaller.

I wouldn't even put it in the class of the Haunted Mansion. At least that set is a complete 4-sided building. The Sanctum Santorum is just the facade of two adjacent buildings... it's no more compatible with modulars than Arkham Asylum.

I am sure we will see some spectacular MOCs based on the Sanctum Sanctorum, but right from the box it does not work as a Modular.

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I am sure we will see some spectacular MOCs based on the Sanctum Sanctorum, but right from the box it does not work as a Modular.

The movie version would not work well as a modular...but... The rather well defined comic book version however works extremely well as a modular design. I've had one roughed out in LDD for ages. Just haven't gotten around to finalizing it and getting the parts yet. As for the set, I saw the leaked pic. Yes it is the Sanctum, but no it's not a Modular. It's about the same size as the Avengers Tower or Creator buildings. So about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a modular. But very nicely detailed. It will be a good starting place for a Modular MOC. Especially that window piece for the Seal. 

On 14/01/2018 at 12:51 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Many thanks for sharing that! I love it, can’t believe, it’s an incredible set!!! IMO is the best non-modular D2C building (I speak about sets like Arkham Asylum Breakout, Joker Manor, The Simpson’s House and Haunted House) except the NC :wub_drool: Really don’t care if it’s a modular or not, I’ll MOD it to a modular, that’s all... I feel like this set would be perfect between the PR (to its left side) and the DO (to its right side) with some modifications! I would be grateful if someone can photoshop that! 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Has anyone done a brick count on the modulars versus this newly revealed building?  How many bricks tall are they?  The new building looks closer to the recent Creator 3 in 1 buildings (Bike Shope and Cafe, for example) than the modulars.  I would guess that this new building is probably somewhere in between the two series.  It will probably be difficult to put this with the modulars, even if you mod the sides....it's too small.  Unless someone can inform us about the heights of each (which I'm too lazy to do) and confirm that the new building is close or similar to the height of the modulars.

13 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I wouldn't even put it in the class of the Haunted Mansion. At least that set is a complete 4-sided building. The Sanctum Santorum is just the facade of two adjacent buildings... it's no more compatible with modulars than Arkham Asylum.

I thought it was an unusual facade, too, but the hinge bricks make me think it's supposed to close. I don't know why they wouldn't have photographed it that way if it were true, though.

56 minutes ago, wooster said:

Has anyone done a brick count on the modulars versus this newly revealed building?  How many bricks tall are they?  The new building looks closer to the recent Creator 3 in 1 buildings (Bike Shope and Cafe, for example) than the modulars.  I would guess that this new building is probably somewhere in between the two series.  It will probably be difficult to put this with the modulars, even if you mod the sides....it's too small.  Unless someone can inform us about the heights of each (which I'm too lazy to do) and confirm that the new building is close or similar to the height of the modulars.

The ground floor is smaller, but the upper floors should work fine with the modulars. Given that it is three storeys high, and more substantial, I'd put it nearer the modulars than the Creator buildings with regards to the size of the facade.

The Sanctum looks to be in scale with the smaller, regular Creator 3-1 buildings like 31065 Townhouse. Not the bigger Creator Expert buildings.

Edited by gotoAndLego

This newly revealed building is 16 studs wide.  So if you mod the height to fit with the rest of the modulars, it could compensate for the 48-stud wide Assembly Square.

Yeah that is a nice looking set @Digger of Bricks, it certainly has the detail we've come to expect of the modulars. With a simple elimination of the dollhouse style opening it would probably look pretty good amongst the others.

I remember reading a couple of months ago that there were rumors one of the old modular buildings could be re-released in 2018. Does anybody know, were these rumors based on any evidence or was it just wishful thinking as a result of Taj Mahal getting re-released?

3 hours ago, CapitaoHook said:

Appeared today brickmerge code 10269 which I find strange that wants to say something. For a new Modular.

https://www.brickmerge.de/10269-1_lego-advanced-models-lego

Because I was told maybe there would be a second modular this year. But I'm not sure.

Maybe it is for a 'half-modular' that means we have a complete two modulars with Assembly Square.

3 hours ago, CapitaoHook said:

Appeared today brickmerge code 10269 which I find strange that wants to say something. For a new Modular.

https://www.brickmerge.de/10269-1_lego-advanced-models-lego

Because I was told maybe there would be a second modular this year. But I'm not sure.

We have gotten 2 a year in the past. There have been times when the time between them has dropped to 9-10 months instead of a full 12 month cycle. Also with several “Modular Type” sets starting to scroll out of the catalog, ie Ghostbusters Firehouse, Simpson’s Sets, Ninjago City, that set might be a replacement role for one of those. 

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I remember reading a couple of months ago that there were rumors one of the old modular buildings could be re-released in 2018. Does anybody know, were these rumors based on any evidence or was it just wishful thinking as a result of Taj Mahal getting re-released?

There have been rumors about redoing Cafe Corner with modern parts and a full interior for years. But they’ve been just that. Granted those rumors existed alongside the ever present rumors for a new UCS Milenium Falcon and Taj Mahal... 

48 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

There have been rumors about redoing Cafe Corner with modern parts and a full interior for years. But they’ve been just that. Granted those rumors existed alongside the ever present rumors for a new UCS Milenium Falcon and Taj Mahal... 

In the designer video for the DD, Mike the designer does mention at 45 secs that 'we don't have a hotel! We need a hotel!' so maybe that was a hint and this 10269 could be a re-release of an updated cafe corner.

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Yep, the announcement of which will take place, as many a modular re-release rumor has, on first day of April. 

:tongue:

If 10269 is indeed something to be released in 2018, the gap between 10263 (the already known (or "known") last number for 2018) and this is strange. It would hint at a release that's been decided rather late and doesn't need as much time to design and produce as normal Creator Expert sets, wouldn't it? Well, we'll see...

For those who are interested, Hfmasters has a video showing the new Avengers sets in high resolution: I’m glad to have enough quality pictures to start my MOD before its release :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan
Video no longer available

2 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Wow, I was all ready and set to buy DD at the end of the month but if there is a chance of cafe corner being rebooted later this year then I might just hang on to my money for now.

Just found the following post from Adam White's excellent Bricksfanz website. In this he clearly mentions the rumors of a couple of past modulars possibly getting re-released in 2018. This article was from late last year around the time DD was unveiled.

http://bricksfanz.com/build-your-modular-street-with-lego-creator/