The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I saw a post that they are re-releasing the CC and GG, but I can't find it again.

*EDIT*: Never mind, it appears to be a false rumor, now that I found it again and was able to actually read it. 

Steve

3 hours ago, badbob001 said:

In regards to the fear of a clone maker releasing a set based purely on pre-release info, has that even happened in the past?

Well there was a huge injustice related to pre-release information did happen surrounding the announcement of Assembly Square. The name of the set was released or leaked or somehow got out before any real information on the official Lego set and one of the knockoff cheater scumbag copycat brands released a set also (initially) called Assembly Square just prior to the official Lego announcement but the knockoff companies' set was entirely copied off of a Lego builder and Eurobricks member's official Lego Ideas submission (it was a Barnes and Noble modular page 3 is the start of the theft discussion) and not the actual official AS set. Adding insult to injury then some Lego fans baselessly accused the original private builder of colluding with the knockoff company with no proof whatsoever. 

Edited by koalayummies

13 hours ago, Wesley D said:

I've read here several times that LEGO announces new sets ever closer to their release due to copying companies.

I do not quite understand this.

Do these companies offer sets that are based on the exterior of newly announced sets? I guess it isn't possible to reverse engineer a whole set just based on some preliminary pictures. Or do they use espionage when they know of a new upcomming release?

Could it harm LEGO to spread some rumours of a new long-awaited set, like the annualy modular, to get us hyped or calm us down? It would interest me a lot to learn the size, the name, the color or the type of building or buildings we are going to get.

You always want to keep your product under wraps for as long as possible to avoid triggering direct competition and copying. But that’s usually mitigated by the needs of the distribution and retail channel. For normal sets when they are announced and shown it’s so the retailers can start placing orders. So technically they go on sale very quickly, just not to the public. With D2C sets such as the Modular’s they don’t have that retail lead time. They control the complete distribution mechanism. Hence they can shorten the time between announcement and street date a vast amount. 

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Faefrost said:

You always want to keep your product under wraps for as long as possible to avoid triggering direct competition and copying. But that’s usually mitigated by the needs of the distribution and retail channel. For normal sets when they are announced and shown it’s so the retailers can start placing orders. So technically they go on sale very quickly, just not to the public. With D2C sets such as the Modular’s they don’t have that retail lead time. They control the complete distribution mechanism. Hence they can shorten the time between announcement and street date a vast amount. 

very good points, and very apropos to this discussion especially with the ripoff companies involved, now to just try to be patient enough for the announcement

On 13.11.2017 at 5:18 PM, Herky said:

now to just try to be patient enough for the announcement

I don't think I can take it any longer! Come on Lego! I want to know anything. We could know the type of building by now. 

How would you feel about a modular that had a tower going over the walkway that pedestrians could walk under?

Like what is on the left side here, but a smaller version.
1200px-Rothenburg_BW_4.JPG

losing my hype about the new modular....

no leaks , no news no nothing and we are what? month and half away?

very strange...

Edited by just_one

2 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

How would you feel about a modular that had a tower going over the walkway that pedestrians could walk under?

Not sure how it would look alongside other modulars but I think it could be doable.

3 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I have considered moc'ing a version of this exact building (love Rothenburg!) for my winter village, but as a modular I think it might look a bit odd for those streets that are on a shelf...

3 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

My first modular is actually based on a German townhouse I saw on this exact village, Rothemburg ob der Tauber. I've also recently been to Bern, which also has these towers, but with trams running underneath them! As a feature in a modular, sure! I see no reason why it couldn't be part of a modular. A threat some weeks ago was actually a modular that had a tower, but on the background, with two buildings cornering it.

2 hours ago, just_one said:

losing my hype about the new modular....

no leaks , no news no nothing and we are what? month and half away?

very strange...

We saw the leaked price tags. It's coming, don't worry so much about it. You know what, instead of checking for news every couple minutes, make your own modular, you'll realise how much hard work and deep thought goes into them. Not only architecture and colour-wise. One of the toughest aspects to get right is proportions (of the buildings, height by width ratio) but even more importantly to get right are the position of the buildings over the street. Making a wall 6 or 8 stud-wide is a big deal, as it limits your possibilites in terms of windows, framing, details... And unless you've made some modulars yourself, you don't have a clue how hard it is to make something than nobody, literally nobody notices. But if it's incorrectly done, then you go... Hey! Something's off here! But what?

Yeah, I know I'm just rambling, don't mind my ponitless chatter.

21 hours ago, ddavid said:

I don't think I can take it any longer! Come on Lego! I want to know anything. We could know the type of building by now. 

I agree we need something or people will start to believe that ninjago city is the modular nooooooooooooooo

I

Just now, legocruncher said:

I agree we need something or people will start to believe that ninjago city is the modular nooooooooooooooo

Having the ninjago city lined up with my modulars for a while now, I feel more and more that it was never intended to be a true modular building.

5 minutes ago, legocruncher said:

It feels wrong to infect the modulars with a ninjago hybrid it is really annoying

I wouldn't go as far as to say it feels wrong, but it definitely looks funny.

I'd like to re-build the Ninjago City to make it mesh better with how modulars are built. Remove the weird ninja steampunk thing and turn it into more real looking buildings. There are some great ideas scattered around the set, they are just overwhelmed by things like weird elevators and needing to walk on grates to get to upper levels.

What was the leaked price of the 2018 modular?

Looks like Palace Cinema will be on sale for Brick Friday... got a sale announcement in the mail today. Glad I waited...

10 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I can see it happening. But I imagine the tower would be in the middle of the modular. I think it would look weird of it was on the left or roght of the modular.

9 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say it feels wrong, but it definitely looks funny.

I'd like to re-build the Ninjago City to make it mesh better with how modulars are built. Remove the weird ninja steampunk thing and turn it into more real looking buildings. There are some great ideas scattered around the set, they are just overwhelmed by things like weird elevators and needing to walk on grates to get to upper levels.

What was the leaked price of the 2018 modular?

I agree the techniques are amazing but together it is weird

Haven't been on here for two years, as life set other priorities. But now I had the chance to put the modulars on display in the living room. It took me a while to arrange them in a way I like it and noticed, that it isn't bad at all, that the buildings have different height and width - it just looks natural.

I really don't understand why some of us want to make the narrow buildings wider and/or taller! If they are all the same size it will make the city look boring in my opinion! Now we have something to discuss until we get to know the new modular for 2018... ;-)

24584599988_b838c0f73b_c.jpg

Edited by GCO

8 hours ago, GCO said:

Haven't been on here for two years, as life set other priorities. But now I had the chance to put the modulars on display in the living room. It took me a while to arrange them in a way I like it and noticed, that it isn't bad at all, that the buildings have different height and width - it just looks natural.

I really don't understand why some of us want to make the narrow buildings wider and/or taller! If they are all the same size it will make the city look boring in my opinion! Now we have something to discuss until we get to know the new modular for 2018... ;-)

24584599988_b838c0f73b_c.jpg

Exactly. The complaints that buildings are too short are just weird. I get that they want to feel like the got their moneys worth, though. Set wise, we do as they’re generally the same on piece count, with a few exemptions. 

9 hours ago, GCO said:

I really don't understand why some of us want to make the narrow buildings wider and/or taller! 

You don't understand why builders modify sets to their liking?

any info on

31080: Modular Winter Lodge

I see a listing in brickset with this title, but no details.  (except for "Mini Modular" which I guess means its not really a modular, right?)

Edited by jlassen
more info.

Just now, koalayummies said:

You don't understand why builders modify sets to their liking?

I absolutely understand why people modify the buildings to their liking, but I don't understand why they all have to be 32x32 buildings. A real town has buildings of all sizes as well. I for example would like to have more buildings like the Petshop, because of their narrow size.