The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

this year i'd like one of the following:

- a construction site modular... being half built, with scaffolding, work crew, half painted etc.

- apartments. along the lines of the PS, 2 half size buildings side by side

- office block, full of office cubicles etc

- hospital

any one of them would be perfect for me.

I don't really buy into the notion that the LEGO modulars offer clues to future modulars, but for the sake of playing along, I'll offer the following clues from the PR:

Turkey--Maybe a butcher shop?

Pie--Maybe a bakery?

Scooter--Maybe a scooter dealer/repair shop?

Menu--A print shop?

I dont look to much for clues either as you could be there looking at lots of things as clues but having said that how about this clue:

Painting - museum?

In all seriousness. Whatever comes next will need to be something to fill the entry level void left by retiring the Fire Brigade. Somethingthat acts like it, as a hook between City and Modulars and gets the whole family interested. If we give any credence to pattern recognition, It seems to go;

Corner - Commercial Building - Government or service Building - Corner - repeat

So what comes next could conceivably be some sort of governmental or civic building. Basic choices are Police, School, Hospital, Church, Post Office. Fire and Town Hall they already did. They will not do a church anymore. (Such a shame I so want a nice little church) Hospital may be tough to do. Post Office would be great, but I don't think it is the kid and family magnet that they would want. Which leads me to suspect either a Police Precinct House, complete with period squad car. Or a School with School Bus.Something instantly familiar to all, but done really really well.

I know a few people mention museums. It would be fantastic to get one. But I think it would not be that distinct of a build or building. It would be the GE's interior with some frontage similar to TH.

Edited by Faefrost

A school would be lovely!!!!

You can do such lovely details in that sort of a building, and it's what hasn't done really before.

Also, a church isn't a civic building unless you live in a theocracy. Public library is another possibility though.

I think a Police Station is the most likeliest if the next modular is going to be a civic building again. It would be the perfect replacement for the Fire Brigade. And both themes, fire fighters and police, have always featured heavily in the City theme. If the theory that one of the reasons Fire Brigade was so popular was because it bridged the gap between City and the modulars, it would seem only logical to try and repeat that with a police station.

The only other obvious choice from among possible civic buildings that could offer similar play value would be a hospital, and I just don't see that working in the modular scale.

A Library or a post office would surely make for a great building, but they don't offer those kind of obvious play features - or did anyone ever think, "Damn, I'd like to play 'returning books to the library' now!"? They serve very mundane tasks, so the play or story features that most modulars have would have to be equally constructed as the wedding stuff in the Town Hall. Thus, they would share that trait with the Town Hall, and apparently that one isn't doing as well as the other modulars.

A museum might be another story, as they could either have an exciting exhibit (I hear dinosaurs are always popular) or maybe do an art museum and stage a break-in.

Still, I'd put my money with the Police Station.

In all seriousness. Whatever comes next will need to be something to fill the entry level void left by retiring the Fire Brigade. Somethingthat acts like it, as a hook between City and Modulars and gets the whole family interested. If we give any credence to pattern recognition, It seems to go;

Corner - Commercial Building - Government or service Building - Corner - repeat

So what comes next could conceivably be some sort of governmental or civic building. Basic choices are Police, School, Hospital, Church, Post Office. Fire and Town Hall they already did. They will not do a church anymore. (Such a shame I so want a nice little church) Hospital may be tough to do. Post Office would be great, but I don't think it is the kid and family magnet that they would want. Which leads me to suspect either a Police Precinct House, complete with period squad car. Or a School with School Bus.Something instantly familiar to all, but done really really well.

I know a few people mention museums. It would be fantastic to get one. But I think it would not be that distinct of a build or building. It would be the GE's interior with some frontage similar to TH.

I think a Police Station is the most likeliest if the next modular is going to be a civic building again. It would be the perfect replacement for the Fire Brigade. And both themes, fire fighters and police, have always featured heavily in the City theme. If the theory that one of the reasons Fire Brigade was so popular was because it bridged the gap between City and the modulars, it would seem only logical to try and repeat that with a police station.

A Library or a post office would surely make for a great building, but they don't offer those kind of obvious play features - or did anyone ever think, "Damn, I'd like to play 'returning books to the library' now!"? They serve very mundane tasks, so the play or story features that most modulars have would have to be equally constructed as the wedding stuff in the Town Hall. Thus, they would share that trait with the Town Hall, and apparently that one isn't doing as well as the other modulars.

A museum might be another story, as they could either have an exciting exhibit (I hear dinosaurs are always popular) or maybe do an art museum and stage a break-in.

Still, I'd put my money with the Police Station.

When it comes to the modular line Lego likes to surprise us, their audience, with something new. The point about Lego telling a story with the modular is very apt. The next modular will be designed accordingly. I hope they don't do a police station modular as I am building one right now! :o

However the idea of a museum I think is something Lego would actually do. You are absolutely right about kids and dinosaurs. Who doesn't love dinosaurs!? There could be lavish detail with the interior and lots of cool things like mummies, artifacts, exhibits and what not.

The post office is a modular I think we could use too. However I think you are right as its a secondary idea considering how does one tell the story? Joe Brick goes to the post office to order a stamp? TLG could do it but I think it's not as likely. They would have to be far more inventive with the design and story. Right now as I am writing this I can envision a modular post office in my head with modern delivery vans.

Here is a thought for everyone. TLG used to design sets about 18 months in advance of a release. We know that time has been reduced to about 8 months to a year. Therefore it's highly likely they will have a concrete modular idea for the next two modular buildings. In the process of releasing one they are already onto the next one.

A Library or a post office would surely make for a great building, but they don't offer those kind of obvious play features - or did anyone ever think, "Damn, I'd like to play 'returning books to the library' now!"?

That's a good point. By the same token, I'd be a bit surprised (and potentially disappointed) to see them go a conventional route with a large-scale hospital, as an example, as I think they can do better and inject more creativity along the lines of recent modular designs.

I do not think Lego necessarily has to make the building have too many play features. After all, the Modular Line is mainly for those who are hoping to display rather than play with the sets. Parisian Restaurant seems to be doing well, and it surely has very little in the sense of play as a child would know it. A library might not be popular with kids, but if it were presented well, it would probably be very popular. I also agree with others that a museum would be a pleasant surprise. As for a police station, I am not against it as long as it is not modern City architecture as we know it.

The funny thing about the Post Office. It could have play features. This would certainly require a vehicle. The interior could also have a room where a conveyer belt feature could be used to move the letters and packages from one place to another. It has the potential to be more interesting than some might expect.

I've thought about this, and the FS is the only modular thus far with a vehicle garage.... i'd love to see another garage in a new modular

The funny thing about the Post Office. It could have play features. This would certainly require a vehicle. The interior could also have a room where a conveyer belt feature could be used to move the letters and packages from one place to another. It has the potential to be more interesting than some might expect.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the Netherlands there are no post offices left. Nobody writes letters any more. So making the next modular a post office would it turn into a historical set, which is not what the modulars are supposed to be (look at the computer in the Town Hall).

Isn't it weird that they now share two types of buildings with the Town Plan 50th anniversary set?

Time to make the 3rd one then, a service station :laugh:

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the Netherlands there are no post offices left. Nobody writes letters any more. So making the next modular a post office would it turn into a historical set, which is not what the modulars are supposed to be (look at the computer in the Town Hall).

I consider the Town Hall computer a design flaw and I can see these sets representing an early-20th century town. When I have the Town Hall built, first thing I'll try to do is replace the computer with a typewriter.

Also, a church isn't a civic building unless you live in a theocracy. Public library is another possibility though.

Actually in many locales churches are categorized similarly to hospitals. They are not government owned or operated but they are viewed as community service infrastructure. Basically they are considered un taxable land for the benefit of the community. Much as a "community center" would be. Just as a school or University is considered such regardless of whether it is a government owned or private.

It's really just minor semantics either way.

The post office is a modular I think we could use too. However I think you are right as its a secondary idea considering how does one tell the story? Joe Brick goes to the post office to order a stamp? TLG could do it but I think it's not as likely. They would have to be far more inventive with the design and story. Right now as I am writing this I can envision a modular post office in my head with modern delivery vans.

The post office might also work if they just put it on the ground floor, and something else above it. Kind of like the Green Grocer, only maybe put something commercial on the first floor (second floor in the US). I just had this idea, how about a dancing school? Still not much in terms of play features, but done right they might reel in some girls (like they did with the Fire Brigade and boys). Plus, they could basically cheapen out of doing a whole lot of interior on that floor at the cost of a few additional minifigs. Third floor could be an apartment for the dancing master or something.

I do not think Lego necessarily has to make the building have too many play features. After all, the Modular Line is mainly for those who are hoping to display rather than play with the sets. Parisian Restaurant seems to be doing well, and it surely has very little in the sense of play as a child would know it. A library might not be popular with kids, but if it were presented well, it would probably be very popular. I also agree with others that a museum would be a pleasant surprise. As for a police station, I am not against it as long as it is not modern City architecture as we know it.

Good point about the Post Office play features, didn't really think of the behind the scenes stuff there.

Still I do think that the more stories a modular inspires, the more individual "scenes" it contains, the more popular it is. Parisian Restaurant offers lots of small scenes (the proposal in the restaurant, the general people going out to eat concept, the artist in the top floor painting, and whoever lives in the apartment relaxing, then folding out his bed... That's quite a lot of different angles for such a small building.

In contrast, think of the Town Hall where you can basically stage out the marriage, and that's pretty much it, aside from doing some administrative stuff (which is about as interesting as returning books to the library or buying a stamp)

But, I guess there's lots of reasons why one modular gets really popular and another doesn't. These are all just theories.

I consider the Town Hall computer a design flaw and I can see these sets representing an early-20th century town. When I have the Town Hall built, first thing I'll try to do is replace the computer with a typewriter.

I also think that the computer is a glitch. All other technology visible in the modulars looks like something straight out of the 1930ies-1950ies.

I think the PR has done quite well. It is a great fascinating building and build. But FB was still the principle entry point for new fans of the series. It was a full working real looking Fire House. Which drew people in on a lot of levels. PR does well because it is a fantastic modular. But I am not sure it has quite the casual hook that FB had. I'm betting the vast majority of its fans and purchasers are folks who already have or even started with the FB. And that's the niche Lego needs to replace in the line. That entry hook. That set that calls out to you not just because it was a great modular, but because it was a great stand alone. And once you build it you crave more.

I also think that Lego's "near modular" Haunted House did a great deal to soften the blow from retiring FB, and in many ways acted as a gateway to the Modulars. I don't think the Simpsons set will do as well at that.

Precisely what I had in mind.

I also think that Lego's "near modular" Haunted House did a great deal to soften the blow from retiring FB, and in many ways acted as a gateway to the Modulars. I don't think the Simpsons set will do as well at that.

Speaking of which, how come it costs more than any Modular Building, other than the Town Hall?

Speaking of which, how come it costs more than any Modular Building, other than the Town Hall?

The Haunted House and the Simpsons home are not modulars, they are just another branch of the Creator Expert line. Modulars have a certain design style of street, lamp post, individual levels that come off to expose the inside, connect together with technic pins at the base and so on. Modulars also don't open from a hinge on the side. I would say the Haunted House is the closest of these two to a modular building and has been modified by many to fit the modular style. Because it is not a modular I would imagine TLG doesn't see a need to keep it in the same $150-160 price range.

I think the PR has done quite well. It is a great fascinating building and build. But FB was still the principle entry point for new fans of the series. It was a full working real looking Fire House. Which drew people in on a lot of levels.

I think people have different reasons for getting into the modulars. The FB may attract CITY fans since it can integrate with their existing sets, but it may not attract other fans that may see it as being playset-oriented. Since only one modular comes out each year, it is also likely that it is the latest set of each year that is the entry point for new users.

I have been eyeing the Modular series but wasn't ready to commit. But then when the PR came it, it was so fantastic that I got hooked and starting buying up the previous sets. Funny thing is that I still don't have the PR yet, mainly because there is less urgency to get it since it will be a while before it's retired. Maybe when 3x VIP points occur again...

As for the future, I would love to see a corner diner with booths, jukebox, wrap-around counter, and stools. Something very Norman Rockwell. Good place for taking a date to have milkshakes after seeing a movie at the PC.

The stickers and glow-in-the-dark bricks must cost a lot. :wink: