The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I would love to see a 32x48 museum!

A modular museum would be awesome, especially if it were something like a transportation museum. It could include a small train locomotive, old car, and maybe even an old plane. A set like that would probably be $$$$$$$ though...

I would love to see a 32x48 museum!

I'm working on a 96x64 Muesum in LDD to be build in real life later. It'll be going in my Modular City. I know it's huge by Modular standards, but so are my Modulars :grin:

Even with that, I'd still so buy an Offical Modular Muesum!!!

As someone with a small apartment, I'd prefer more 16x32 modulars honestly. The Pet Shop is still my favorite Modular, and I'm working on BLing the parts for a version with dark red walls/black roof. For smaller modulars I hope we get something like:

• A book/magazine shop with plenty of printed book tiles
  • A pizza parlor with a delivery bike
  • An townhouse with a garage built in the front
  • An antique store
  • A barber shop with some mirror

There's plenty other ideas out there, but these are some of the smaller sites seen in the city.

A pizza parlor with a delivery bike

I know it's not a modular, but you just gave me a thought: I wonder if the upcoming Bike Shop & Cafe set could be re-purposed as a pizza parlor. What do you think?

Maybe the 2015 Modular has something to do with the bus-stop bench of the Parisian Restaurant... maybe it has something to do with travelling.. the new modular could come up with a bus as well.......?? Travel agency?

The modular sets are not known for

Maybe the 2015 Modular has something to do with the bus-stop bench of the Parisian Restaurant... maybe it has something to do with travelling.. the new modular could come up with a bus as well.......?? Travel agency?

The modulars are not known to have well designed vehicles. The ones in the Fire Brigade and Palace Cinema are just bare-bone enough to serve their function. I would only expect well-designed vehicles in the normal City line.

Has anyone ever considered that isn't a bus-stop bench......but a tram/street car stop bench ? :wink:

I like your idea and I am going to expand on it a bit.

I think the Modular line would do great with a San Francisco style trolly. Have a set that has a trolly, its garage on a 16x32 plate with a bit of track that is imbedded in a road way and I would be all over it like a fly on shit. If the 16x32 plate isn't big enough I wouldn't mind seeing a 24x32 plate made to allow a wide enough door for the trolly to enter in. If they did indeed put out a set like that I would definitely buy 2-3 to lay out the city streets with plenty of trolleys. I would also place all of the garages together for a larger building. With having a properly designed trolly and the cost of the street plates, LEGO would most likely need to have a smaller building to keep it in the same price point the rest of the line has. That is why I went with the 16x32 baseplate.

As an AFOL the Modular line are my favorite LEGO sets and is the main reason I came out of the dark ages. I also happen to be big into architecture and city development and frequent a forum that fills that hobby. The Modulars allow me to not just geek out on LEGO but also geek out about building and designing my own city.

A trolley/streetcar would be a very welcome addition!

The Pet Shop buildings are pretty close in style to San Franciscan-style "painted ladies", although I'd like to see more 16x32 Victorian row homes added. And the Palace Cinema is the beginning of a Chinatown. A streetcar would fit right in.

Has anyone ever considered that isn't a bus-stop bench......but a tram/street car stop bench ? :wink:

Would love to see a tram or streetcar. A San Francisco cable car would be awesome. However, with the Parisian Restaurant, I would assume the bench is for a bus stop. I never saw any streetcars or trams in Paris, but bus traffic, intra/inter city trains, and of course the Metro was common.

What was the clue in the Palace Cinema that could have lead to the Parisian Restaurant?

There wasn't one. There were never clues, it was just hindsight bias.

You are probably very right....but it is so much fun to dream about what the next modular could be, and being right about it afterwards....haha..! And people Always like to search for clues...even if they aren't there......!!

Didnt think there was one, but it is fun to see people second guess what the next modular might be, from whats in the current one! :sweet:

Edited by scottwb2010

^Obviously the popcorn in the movie theater lobby indicated a restaurant would be next...

I think it would have been more fun if there actually were hints along the way. Although I wonder how far in advance LEGO actually plans these. I know some themes take a really long time. With this being just a big building, I wonder how much time is given to each build.

^Obviously the popcorn in the movie theater lobby indicated a restaurant would be next...

I think it would have been more fun if there actually were hints along the way. Although I wonder how far in advance LEGO actually plans these. I know some themes take a really long time. With this being just a big building, I wonder how much time is given to each build.

We had a pretty good clue between the PC and PR. Not to long before the PC's release fans had asked Jaime for a clue about the next Modular. His response involved soup, and was a pretty clear hint about a restaurant. People were surprised because the next was the Cinema, then the Restaurant. The takeaway is most likely that the PR was in development while the PC was in production. It probably takes around 18 months to go from idea to store shelves, so there is most likely some points of overlap between them in the overall schedule. At this point they probably know what the next two will be (assuming that our beloved Modulars remain on a steady and ongoing production schedule.)

A street car sounds very nice. But it would not make for a modular building. I like the idea of a post office or a book store though.

I like the idea of a post office or a book store though.

Ooh, a post office! Now that I'd love to see! Lots of ideas there.

I'm glad to see most agree a street car would be a great addition, as many cities around the world have to some time or even still now a light rail/tram system running though or around it.

Though what clues could we draw from the PR ?

I don't really buy into the notion that the LEGO modulars offer clues to future modulars, but for the sake of playing along, I'll offer the following clues from the PR:

Turkey--Maybe a butcher shop?

Pie--Maybe a bakery?

Scooter--Maybe a scooter dealer/repair shop?

Menu--A print shop?

A street car sounds very nice. But it would not make for a modular building. I like the idea of a post office or a book store though.

A street car alone would not make it a modular building is true. But if you look at my previous post you will see I added to it by having the building where they are housed for repair or at night included into the set. That way you have the needed modular and the trolley is just the vehicle to the modular like the fire truck is to the FB.

I live in the Salt Lake City area and we once had quite the trolly system here and they were housed in an area off of 700 east and 500 south. that location is now known as Trolly Square and is now used as a shopping center. I would show you pictures of the building but I don't have any of my own shots of the building just yet. You can google it if you want too. So adding a trolly to the modular line would not be hard to do as long as the trolly is looked at as the vehicle to its storage location.

We now have LRT (TRAX) that runs all over the valley and 1 street car line. I love LRT and street cars and I would go nuts buying such a modular set if it was offered. I could easily see myself getting a minimum of 3 sets if it came out.

A trolley would offer the same issues as the old monorail. Expensive to produce. Limited market. And would probably need newer track pieces to interface with streets better. (Most people will not go for 1000 pieces of a $150 set going to tile over train tracks.

I think we would have a better chance of a trolley in either Trains or Winter Village.

I don't really buy into the notion that the LEGO modulars offer clues to future modulars, but for the sake of playing along, I'll offer the following clues from the PR:

Turkey--Maybe a butcher shop?

Pie--Maybe a bakery?

Scooter--Maybe a scooter dealer/repair shop?

Menu--A print shop?

Murphy bed -- mattress store

Wedding ring -- Jewelry Store

Croissant -- Bakery

Wine -- Liquor Store