The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I do not mind some interior detail, although for me, priority should be given to outside detail and keeping the model to a reasonable size. After all, it is the outside that we see when displaying a modular. Parisian Restaurant was really nice, although I am still having trouble with getting excited enough to purchase the DO.

The problem right now is that in order to add storyline and interior detail, you either have to do one of two things: (1) Have a smaller building in order to allocate piece count to the interior, or (2) raise the price in order to avoid sacrificing one aspect for the other

I too wait with anticipation to see where they will go with the next one.

Yea, its too bad that by then, when his videos were works of art, his music wasn't. Supper's Ready was art. The Cinema Show was art. Neither needed video, and actually, they would've suffered should they have had it. Sledgehammer - it absolutely needed a video...

But I digress, this isn't about Genesis. And perhaps, it never was.

Point taken--although I still like to think of the entire "So" album as a dark spot in an otherwise brilliant career, with "Sledgehammer" and "Don't Give Up" as the lowest points. It's hard to match something like Supper's Ready, of course, but I've found that both his pre-So work and his post-So work (including his work with WOMAD) are incredible, deep, and very artistic ("Us" and "Up" are still two of my favorite albums). But now I'm the one digressing....

Anyway, I agree that Lego seems to always surprise us when it comes to modulars. It's pretty nice, I think, not to know quite what to expect. I mean, I assume that the next one will have an interior of some sort, but I also know that each modular has been unique and distinctive enough that it could be almost anything.

Point taken--although I still like to think of the entire "So" album as a dark spot in an otherwise brilliant career, with "Sledgehammer" and "Don't Give Up" as the lowest points. It's hard to match something like Supper's Ready, of course, but I've found that both his pre-So work and his post-So work (including his work with WOMAD) are incredible, deep, and very artistic ("Us" and "Up" are still two of my favorite albums). But now I'm the one digressing....

"I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums."

Anyway, this conversation on the modulars has become very interesting I think - important point by mestari on Mocs, well written thoughts by notaromantic, can't wait to see your mod RogerSmith (I felt an immediate urge to mod my do too although I've never done that with past modulars), and I really like your thoughts on separate interiors Kermit - valentine set is great example. Otw, I hope you dont stay away for another 90 days.

Great to have so much interesting comments/thinking/speculation on modulars at a time of year that couldn't be farther away from an official release...

Edited by PastVPresent

Here are some that I would like to see as corner modulars.

• A bank
  • A pharmacy
  • A store (I mean something like a Family Dollar or Dollar Tree).

I also would like to see a modular that takes up a square. Something like a mall or a discount store (like Walmart or Target) would do, or a hotel.

Here are some that I would like to see as corner modulars.

• A bank
  • A pharmacy
  • A store (I mean something like a Family Dollar or Dollar Tree).

I also would like to see a modular that takes up a square. Something like a mall or a discount store (like Walmart or Target) would do, or a hotel.

A bank or a pharmacy could be good, but I don't think I'd be too fond of the others--mainly because Walmart, Target, and dollar stores tend to be very drab visually--they're usually just nondescript blocks. While I don't think all modulars need to be extreme examples of architectural beauty, something like that wouldn't be worth the money for me--especially since one could make something similar with a pile of grey bricks, a few doors and windows, and a very minimum of specialized pieces.

Edited by Mariko

Honestly I'm more interested to see what the color choice is going to be. PR's Olive Green was beautiful! I like the color on the DO but I wish it included more actual regular bricks instead of the 98283. I do hope they break the trend and produce a unexpectedly great modular. DO has kind of grown on me especially since I removed that awful cartoonish "pool" sign.

I'd definitely like to see a bank. And it has obvious "story" potential (i.e. bank robbery).

I'm not so keen on a pharmacy, but since I don't have a grocery/department store, I guess it would be good to have somewhere for my mini figures to get basic food supplies. If it had a small doctor's office or medical centre as well, it would definitely be a welcome addition.

A bank or a pharmacy could be good, but I don't think I'd be too fond of the others--mainly because Walmart, Target, and dollar stores tend to be very drab visually--they're usually just nondescript blocks. While I don't think all modulars need to be extreme examples of architectural beauty, something like that wouldn't be worth the money for me--especially since one could make something similar with a pile of grey bricks, a few doors and windows, and a very minimum of specialize pieces.

However, malls can be very beautiful architecturally.

I've read something a while back about a flower shop, with a greenhouse in the back. How about that?

If the architecture and color scheme is good, I am in.

Hmmmmm. I'm not overly keen on the idea of a flower shop and greenhouse, but it would ultimately depend upon the design.

And I'm guessing that there would need to be more to it than simply a flower shop, especially if it is a corner building. Maybe multiple studio apartments above. Or some other service providers like a dentist, lawyer, accountant, psychologist, etc.

think I'm stuck buying every modular that comes out... just got back into lego last month and picked up DO, PR, CC and PS from lego, TH and FB from ebay, bricklinked GG and CC... passing on the rest... love the series!

think I'm stuck buying every modular that comes out... just got back into lego last month and picked up DO, PR, CC and PS from lego, TH and FB from ebay, bricklinked GG and CC... passing on the rest... love the series!

Wow! That must've cost you a small fortune in 1 month!

Regarding the flower shop/greenhouse: Don't forget that the next one will likely be a corner building, so little to no space out back for a greenhouse. Unless, of course, we get a massively downsized cornerbuilding :wacko:

Or the greenhouse will be on top of the building.

I did one flower shop myself some time ago (see my bricksafe), I wonder how it would compare to an official one.

Didn't we have pretty solid rumors regarding the DO set by this time last year?

Correct but if you look at past modular release dates, there isn't much of a pattern until recently so that may affect the news leaks. Just my guess

Am I the only one surprised that there hasn't been a modular police station yet? There's a fire brigade, after all...

Well, since Lego has to keep churning out new police stations for it"s City line, like, every year, I don't think that there's any room for a Modular one. :sadnew:

New for 2016: Scuba Police! :devil:

Well, since Lego has to keep churning out new police stations for it"s City line, like, every year, I don't think that there's any room for a Modular one. :sadnew:

New for 2016: Scuba Police! :devil:

Weirdly, scuba police actually exists.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a Modular Police Station, unless we're about to get a corner police station?

Fire, Police and, to a lesser extent, Hospital all seem to be enduring themes for Lego. As I don't have the Fire Brigade, I hope to be able to eventually at least add a police station.