The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

6 hours ago, jonahtron said:

This is the best I could rustle up:

street.png

Putting the JC beside the Fire Brigade appears to justify that red color of the upper floors. Also, the Pizzeria does not look too out of place when beside the Detective's Office.

But I think of all the color variations I have seen here, the best for me is the Dark Blue upper floors and keeping the Dark Azure for the facade of the lower floor on the JC. Other combinations also look better than the original.

I really don't know what Lego was thinking during the design process, and the JC colors thus ended being so controversial! I feel like if they nailed the colors correctly, not many would have complained that it was an overall bland design.

5 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

From what’s been released so far they look to be an entirely different scale to the modulars. If there is to be a specific Jazz Club GWP then it’s going to have to be a significant improvement.

Agreed. It's a totally different scale to the modulars. More of a vignette style thing. The ground floor is only four bricks high, the top floor is five bricks high. They've put a chihuahua in so that you get something, but a minifigure will look really odd next to it. I was tempted initially to try and get it, but I don't think it's worth the $250 spend. I'll wait for the pizza van with the jazz club, and 40585 World of Wonders looks like it will a more interesting build when that launches, maybe in February.

5 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yeah that’s what I am hoping for.  Vine gage Taxi GWP goes with Boutique Hotel so well with a thief minifigurefrom Police Station. I’must wishing they would include Andy Sax or saxophone in GWP.

There is a saxophone in the Jazz Club already. And the speculation is that Andy Sax is a character in Assembly Square already. 

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

There is a saxophone in the Jazz Club already. And the speculation is that Andy Sax is a character in Assembly Square already. 

Thanks. Due to my low vision I didn’t realize there is a saxophone in Jazz club (I don’t have it yet). 

58 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

I wish we had a trumpet though!

It’s real shame that there is no trumpet in CMF Series 24 to go with jazz clu. Still hoping for it to pop in one of these new sets. 

22 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

It’s real shame that there is no trumpet in CMF Series 24 to go with jazz clu. Still hoping for it to pop in one of these new sets. 

I used the chrome gold trumpet 71342. It’s what’s pictured in the poster on the front of the JC. It does stand out against the pearl gold sax etc but I’m sure ‘head cannon’ can find a solution!

Oh its 100% Andy Sax in assembly Square. Same hairpiece, same classic smiley, same shirt collar etc.

9-B52-CB43-BBFF-47-B0-AE99-098-FC33-BB7-

C5060189-30-DC-4-DD3-A78-C-81-AF20918-AD

28 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

With luck there may be more music based figures and accessories coming down the line like the formerly Vidiyo cello/double bass that was meant for series 3 of that line.

14 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

That would have been a day one purchase for me. As is I'm waiting for a sale or a really good GWP. 

I hope someone from LEGO is reading the comments online because this is a serious mess up.

I think the dark blue looks a LOT better, it makes the sign "glow" a lot more visually. (and I'm not just saying that because I like Dark blue +  orange from nexo a lot :wink:)

Edited by TeriXeri

47 minutes ago, Maple said:

That would have been a day one purchase for me. As is I'm waiting for a sale or a really good GWP. 

I hope someone from LEGO is reading the comments online because this is a serious mess up.

37 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I think the dark blue looks a LOT better, it makes the sign "glow" a lot more visually. (and I'm not just saying that because I like Dark blue +  orange from nexo a lot :wink:)

Really hope Lego is watching this thread. The designer's original idea was great!

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

Really hope Lego is watching this thread. The designer's original idea was great!

Right? I doubt LEGO is reading this but things do get back to them and I'm sure they will find out in the future.

You trusted the designer to design the modulars two times in a row, stick to it.

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

3 hours ago, hikouki said:

Totally agree. It looks boring now. The dark blue was great.

,,,I still prefer the dark red. The triadic color scheme just has so much vibrant energy that feels appropriate to the jazz era. With the dark blue it not only feels cold and gloomy, but the contrast between the colors of the club and restaurant feels too stark (with the sunny Mediterranean colors totally clashing with the the dark, muted hues of the club). And that's not even getting into how the tone would clash with other modulars (something I usually see people make a big deal about here). If you had a whole street of nighttime-inspired hues maybe it would work, but on its own that effect would be lost.

I also think people saying that the other designers "didn't trust" the original designer's vision are assuming that the set designer didn't ultimately see the validity of their critiques? Which was not the impression I got from the interview at all. As a former art student, I know the value of critique as part of the creative process. If a critique is totally incompatible with your "vision" you can and should push back against it, but if it makes you realize an unintentional oversight of your design, then adjusting it to compensate for that feedback is really the only reasonable course of action.

Do you remember when Lego released some sets in alternative colours, like the Fiat 500 in blue?  I wonder if the Jazz Club would be a good set to that again with.  Some would still criticize the colour choice.

I have to say, now it’s built and finding its home in my town, the dark red is definitely the colour to go for.  The dark blue would just look unbalanced compared to the other buildings (I only have modulars from 2013 onwards). I did wonder about dark blue on the bottom, but it then hid the door and ticket booth window even more that it does with the current colour.  

32 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I have to say, now it’s built and finding its home in my town, the dark red is definitely the colour to go for.  The dark blue would just look unbalanced compared to the other buildings (I only have modulars from 2013 onwards). I did wonder about dark blue on the bottom, but it then hid the door and ticket booth window even more that it does with the current colour.  

Last year's hotel is unbalanced in every way from every other modular. Size, shape, colors. People love it. Same with the diner, it didn't fit. 

As the modulars retire and we get new ones a big dark blue building really could have changed the modular line for the better. Instead LEGO played it safe. 

Which currently available modular do you think would look best on a street with the Bookshop and Parisian Restaurant?

I really can't decide which to get at the moment. Jazz Club is the business that interests me the most, but the architecture isn't as interesting as the others. I feel Boutique Hotel would stand out too much though. 

On 1/16/2023 at 6:00 PM, Maple said:

Last year's hotel is unbalanced in every way from every other modular. Size, shape, colors. People love it. Same with the diner, it didn't fit. 

As the modulars retire and we get new ones a big dark blue building really could have changed the modular line for the better. Instead LEGO played it safe. 

Got to say I disagree with your conclusion there. A central part of the charm of the modular series is the ability to immediately chain together several of the sets together to give a detailed and eclectic, but also coherent, street scene. While I’m sure there will be some who display modulars individually, I expect that most would (means allowing) want to place several modulars together.

On that basis, I think we’ve tended to see some revisionism in people’s opinions of modulars, as they’ve gone from first impressions to trying to integrate buildings within layouts. While I personally like what DD did individually, there is no doubt that it is tricky (but not impossible) to place it alongside other modulars without looking too odd. The same also goes for BH to a certain extent.

Ironically, I think that from a silhouette/overall shape perspective, JC is reasonably easy to integrate, I just think that it’s the colour choices that make it a L more difficult (though I’m in the dark red, rather than navy, camp).

Conversely, and in answer to @Captain Settle’s question, I think that Police Station is by far the most versatile modular still available (and perhaps in general). There is enough variation in both style and colour that it doesn’t make other modulars look either too boring or outlandish, and I would say that you can easily split the bookshop and have it look good on either side of PS (house next to the doughnut shop), and then Parisian restaurant next to Birch Books itself.

Just finished building the Jazz Club yesterday and for me it works right out of the box.

Pet Shop is the first modular I added to or modified.  I bought a second copy and mirror built the Apartment section.  Since then:

TH - as is.

PC - added a brick built sign to side of building.  Very common in Hollywood to have signs painted onto sides of buildings back in the day.

PR - removed the outdoor eating area and added the Laundry section from BB to it ( there is a famous restaurant in Northern California called the "French Laundry".

DO - expanded the Barbershop section.

BB - mirror built the other side (removed the Laundromat).

AS - shrunk to 32 studs width.

DD - as is.

CG - as is.

BS - only built and displayed the Bookshop section.

PP - centered and expanded the Police Station and removed the Donut shop and News stand.

BH - haven't yet but want to remove the Art Gallery and use the space to create the Public plaza that was removed from AS.

And that is the beauty of the Modular line - you can do or not do anything you want with them!

2 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

I think that Police Station is by far the most versatile modular still available (and perhaps in general). There is enough variation in both style and colour that it doesn’t make other modulars look either too boring or outlandish, and I would say that you can easily split the bookshop and have it look good on either side of PS (house next to the doughnut shop), and then Parisian restaurant next to Birch Books itself.

I think you’re spot on there.  It’s a really good blend of colours and the style of architecture is just enough to provide individuality, whilst still fitting in with others.  I have the Hotel right next to it, and it does work.  ATM there is nothing on the other side of the BH, as I’m scrapping my train station MOC, as its just doesn’t work.  Also looking to find as much real estate on my table top, for more MOCs, and future modulars.

2 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

Conversely, and in answer to @Captain Settle’s question, I think that Police Station is by far the most versatile modular still available (and perhaps in general). There is enough variation in both style and colour that it doesn’t make other modulars look either too boring or outlandish, and I would say that you can easily split the bookshop and have it look good on either side of PS (house next to the doughnut shop), and then Parisian restaurant next to Birch Books itself.

Thanks for the advice! I do think the Police Station looks good with almost any modular, and could help with the transition from my current modulars to the Jazz Club if I get that in the future. The set back side building and the news stand would also add some visual interest to my street.

5 hours ago, jus1973 said:

I have the Hotel right next to it, and it does work.

Yeah I think that Police Station is actually even one modular that looks pretty good next to Downtown diner (on the newspaper vendor side), as the recessed facade allows the white section of DD to look suitably prominent.

At least that’s what I’m hoping! DD is still sat in my attic, waiting to be built.

Edited by DeanLearner
Grammar

Still waiting for a GWP to suit my taste; when I’ll buy the JC, I think I’ll stick to the original color scheme to go along with FB, PS, DO, etc