The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

44 minutes ago, MartyMcFly said:

I remember the Vinitage Taxi as a gwp after January, but can't remember if it was only with purchase of the modular. 

It was free with a € 200 purchase and later in the year with the purchase of a modular.

I’ve decided to pull the trigger early.  I wasn’t going to, and was going to wait for the related GWP, however I already have the Pizza van from the city collection a couple of years ago, so not too bothered about that one.  I also have far too many vehicles for my town as it is.  Snagged the Blacktron ship, plus the new year pack, so I’m good with that.  Might shift the blacktron ship, as space isn’t really my bag.

I’ll also wait for future GWP, either the tiny Mexican house or the pizza van; maybe for the tiny house since I already have many vehicles in my city. First time I won’t buy a Modular on the first day. I think the tiny house could become the beginning of a new valuable collection. Well, I’ll resume the construction /modification of Sanctum Sanctorium to include it in my city layout. Happy New Year every one !

5 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

I’ll also wait for future GWP, either the tiny Mexican house or the pizza van; maybe for the tiny house since I already have many vehicles in my city. First time I won’t buy a Modular on the first day. I think the tiny house could become the beginning of a new valuable collection. Well, I’ll resume the construction /modification of Sanctum Sanctorium to include it in my city layout. Happy New Year every one !

What are you doing with the Sanctum? I like it, but the scale doesn't fit the modulars, so will eventually try to mod it myself.

23 hours ago, ddavid said:

Happy New Year everybody!!!

Are you guys buying the new Modular now with the 40580 Blacktron Cruiser GWP, waiting for Jan 15th for the 40583 Houses of the World GWP, waiting till February/March for the rumored (but unconfirmed) Pizza Van, waiting for Double VIP or waiting for a discount outside of lego.com?

So many (too many) options and I’m overwhelmed by this choice :pir_wacko:

Went into store and picked it up today. So far, there are a few clever techniques, the double bass carrier is a lovely SNOT build. I'm building my jazz club centrally on the baseplate and the pizza place separately which is a headache but will be worth it in the end!

Got the Blacktron Cruiser and the CNY accessory set. Not really interested in the Blacktron, so not sure what to do with it just yet.  

Edited by jonahtron

4 hours ago, jonahtron said:

Went into store and picked it up today. So far, there are a few clever techniques, the double bass carrier is a lovely SNOT build. I'm building my jazz club centrally on the baseplate and the pizza place separately which is a headache but will be worth it in the end!

Got the Blacktron Cruiser and the CNY accessory set. Not really interested in the Blacktron, so not sure what to do with it just yet.  

How are you addressing the hole on the side where it's supposed to connect to the pizzeria? 

I had a very strange but large mess up in my instructions. At the end of bag 12 there’s two pages of bag 13 before we’re told to open bag 13. 

That aside, it was a fun build. The entrance was my favorite part of it. I don’t even mind the blue as much as I did in the pictures. Still bummed about the dark red not being dark blue...even so much so that on the drive home I was considering changing it, but that’s a lot of color swapping. I think it looks fine dark red though. 

15 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

What are you doing with the Sanctum? I like it, but the scale doesn't fit the modulars, so will eventually try to mod it myself.

First, I will remove most of the stickers and put aside all the Marvel minifigures (I love Dr Strange movies, but he won’t fit in my city); I’ll fix some rooms to make a suitable inside living space: the Keep Out ! room will be opened to enlarge the space around and under the giant stairs: that will make one single large room, maybe a small restroom; the library doesn’t have much flooring space - I’ll put up some more planks, maybe put a dining a table; the top floor will be the bedrooms.  I don’t think I will do much redo outside though: I saw some pictures where the Sanctum was placed beside some Modulars that are less tall (BH for example, or maybe DO for the NY vibe); it will leave a small deserted alley: a bike rentals could be placed there.

Hi pals,

Just thought I’d share the WIP of my Jazz Club.

Its a bit sketchy in places, as I don’t have quite the right pieces in my inventory, but the extra space on the left and right now allows me to make a bigger stage to include a piano, and around the corner of the under the stairs toilet will be a cocktail bar.

I wouldn’t ordinarily have just one business per 32 plate, but wanted to find a home for a a few more ideas on the ground floor...

suggestions for the large window pane areas welcomed, it’s a bit boring right now.

BA47521-A-095-A-48-C6-8-A66-28-FCE7293-C

F5448828-47-D1-4-C51-A97-A-26-F9-FE045-E

P.S as an fyi, I have my own version of a mils which is to use x4 of the new 16x—16 technic brick which are usually used in the art sets. Makes my building indestructible!

Edited by jonahtron

7 hours ago, jonahtron said:

Hi pals,

Just thought I’d share the WIP of my Jazz Club.

Its a bit sketchy in places, as I don’t have quite the right pieces in my inventory, but the extra space on the left and right now allows me to make a bigger stage to include a piano, and around the corner of the under the stairs toilet will be a cocktail bar.

I wouldn’t ordinarily have just one business per 32 plate, but wanted to find a home for a a few more ideas on the ground floor...

suggestions for the large window pane areas welcomed, it’s a bit boring right now.

BA47521-A-095-A-48-C6-8-A66-28-FCE7293-C

F5448828-47-D1-4-C51-A97-A-26-F9-FE045-E

P.S as an fyi, I have my own version of a mils which is to use x4 of the new 16x—16 technic brick which are usually used in the art sets. Makes my building indestructible!

Black glass panes, either plain or with more posters or graffiti would work, since that would work as walls instead of windows both in and out. Maybe this sticker on BL: 57895pb090L, or one of the many movie posters there if you aren't up for custom work or aftermarket. 

Really like the extension mod, and love the black recolor.

I saw the jazz club in person for the first time today, and it looks good. The blue and reddish brown accents don't stand out as much as they appear to in photos, so I might keep it as is. The black recolor above does look good though.

10 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

Black glass panes, either plain or with more posters or graffiti would work, since that would work as walls instead of windows both in and out. Maybe this sticker on BL: 57895pb090L, or one of the many movie posters there if you aren't up for custom work or aftermarket. 

Really like the extension mod, and love the black recolor.

Thanks very much! 

That sticker is great, didn't notice that when it came out. The more I stare at it the mod in person the more I think that perhaps I ought to try bringing in some of the stained glass look from the upper floors to tie both together. Something like this orientation possibly. I have lots of these printed glass pieces so it might be a good place for them...

Untitled-Model.png

Edited by jonahtron

The window styles differ quite significantly between the stained glass and the regular/printed panes, so I think it’s difficult to integrate them side by side.

In terms of the ground floor windows, how easy would it be to replicate the method for the printed poster in the set (I assume a tile?) to incorporate other posters, such as a couple of the many Vidyo options?

5 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

The window styles differ quite significantly between the stained glass and the regular/printed panes, so I think it’s difficult to integrate them side by side.

In terms of the ground floor windows, how easy would it be to replicate the method for the printed poster in the set (I assume a tile?) to incorporate other posters, such as a couple of the many Vidyo options?

I believe that the poster on the front of the Jazz Club is a print on a white 1x4x2 panel built snot. I doubt that piece would look good inside if mirrored on the other side.

22 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

I believe that the poster on the front of the Jazz Club is a print on a white 1x4x2 panel built snot. I doubt that piece would look good inside if mirrored on the other side.

Ah yes, just had a bit of a look at the instructions today. Certainly wouldn’t be easy to replace that print (not that I’ll be bothering).

Worked out the requirements for the mods I want to do and put my BrickLink orders in. All I need to do now is buy the set (and actually build the modded versions of both CG and BH that I planned and prepped but never actually got the chance to build!).

3 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

Ah yes, just had a bit of a look at the instructions today. Certainly wouldn’t be easy to replace that print (not that I’ll be bothering).

Worked out the requirements for the mods I want to do and put my BrickLink orders in. All I need to do now is buy the set (and actually build the modded versions of both CG and BH that I planned and prepped but never actually got the chance to build!).

Yeah, a bit tricky, possibly best to buy a second one if one wanted to have a symmetrical frontage. I think looking for asymmetry may produce something more interesting.

id like to see your mod once done.

In the meantime, just managed to fit in a small bar and a fuller band, with… trumpet player.

FAFDB14-C-2093-4-E1-E-AF11-9687523-D26-C
42-E3-A3-DC-50-EA-439-C-B32-B-7-FC359-ED
tiny image host

excuse the crappy pics, it’s hard getting a phone inside!

5-B800485-2-BED-4-CCC-BB8-A-576-EC49-EA3

On 1/2/2023 at 7:48 AM, jonahtron said:

I have my own version of a mils which is to use x4 of the new 16x—16 technic brick which are usually used in the art sets. Makes my building indestructible!

I was curious about that part since I haven't seen it yet, but couldn't find it on BL either in the technic part section or in any art set inventories. Could you give a bit more info on this part? It looks interesting.

5 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

I was curious about that part since I haven't seen it yet, but couldn't find it on BL either in the technic part section or in any art set inventories. Could you give a bit more info on this part? It looks interesting.

It's right here on Brickset. Very few Bricklink sellers. (Opps I was looking at used pieces.)

https://brickset.com/parts/6302092/brick-4-3-16x16-w-4-85-hole

Edited by Maple

4 minutes ago, Maple said:

It's right here on Brickset. Very few Bricklink sellers.

https://brickset.com/parts/6302092/brick-4-3-16x16-w-4-85-hole

Thanks! I was able to link to it on BL from there, whereas a search of BL didn't find it. Not a bad price considering, especially considering what it would be worth to make a large MOC more stabile for moving. Might order a couple and see how it goes!

2 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

Thanks! I was able to link to it on BL from there, whereas a search of BL didn't find it. Not a bad price considering, especially considering what it would be worth to make a large MOC more stabile for moving. Might order a couple and see how it goes!

You're welcome. I have issues finding bricks on BL too, so I always Brickset then BL to find things.
Target USA was clearing out 21226, the Classic Spaceman, for half off. So if you are in the USA might be worth a look, or the prices might go down too because 9 of them for $60, plus 4000 other pieces should lower the price.

8 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

I thoroughly recommend this part, it’s been expensive but hugely worthwhile transitioning all my Modular’s and MOCS to this system. The black base gives them all a nice ‘framed’ aesthetic and, if like me your builds are on high shelves you can you can pick a heavy modular up with two fingers and know it’ll be solid as a rock. I know some people MILS to hide lighting system wires, I’ve not done that myself and I discovered this approach when moving house, or just rearranging the street and wanting a reliable way to handle buildings without the 😰 

I doubt I’m the first one to come up with this, but I’ve not seen this online anywhere else so far. I call it ‘fast food mils’ 😉

I use a couple of technic pins to connect them together and then just pop the grid of 2 or 4 onto an old-school base plate and bobs your uncle!

I honestly think that it’s (possibly) cheaper and more convenient than the traditional brick and plate MILS approach. It’s certainly faster, takes about 15 seconds and just looks consistent and clean. 

I considered the art 16x16 Technic bricks as the base for MILS when I did it last year. In the end, I had a load of old/used plates that I wanted to include, so it was cheaper to get the cheapest 2x2 bricks on Bricklink, so I went that route. But I did like the black base, so I put black plates around the edges and black bricks (with some Technic 1x2 bricks for connections) to fill it all in.

These are the plates:

51854407886_1024101da5_k.jpg

And then some of the buildings on them:

51951939722_8c5d34e098_k.jpg

But if I didn't have the plates to use up, I probably would have gone the 16x16 brick route. At the time, it was actually cheaper to get them direct from LEGO on Pick a Brick than it was Bricklink. So might be worth considering that too. Especially for large quantities if inventory is low on Bricklink.

17 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I considered the art 16x16 Technic bricks as the base for MILS when I did it last year. In the end, I had a load of old/used plates that I wanted to include, so it was cheaper to get the cheapest 2x2 bricks on Bricklink, so I went that route. But I did like the black base, so I put black plates around the edges and black bricks (with some Technic 1x2 bricks for connections) to fill it all in.

These are the plates:

51854407886_1024101da5_k.jpg

And then some of the buildings on them:

51951939722_8c5d34e098_k.jpg

But if I didn't have the plates to use up, I probably would have gone the 16x16 brick route. At the time, it was actually cheaper to get them direct from LEGO on Pick a Brick than it was Bricklink. So might be worth considering that too. Especially for large quantities if inventory is low on Bricklink.

They look great on the black base, amazing that you had so much black and grey to make them look consistent and clean.

Great use of the Tardis and Delorean.
Would you be tempted to use some trans orange energy fire pieces coming out the back for the flame trails?

I think you are right about these being cheaper from PAB rather than BL, so long as you are buying enough from Lego to get free shipping. They are not a bestseller part though so in the UK not currently listed on the PAB. I hope the full pan selection comes back online soon.

Edited by jonahtron

A silly diversion for a moment…

What day of the week is it on modular street?

Hear me out:

If everything is happening concurrently along the 17 buildings, (according to Jamie, so I guess that’s lore) and we know that Andy Sax is NOT playing at the jazz club tonight, then it’s not Friday night, as that’s when he is due to play.

The dentists office is open so it’s probably not the weekend, and I’d double down on it not being a Sunday as the tiny independent bookshop and pet store isn’t likely to open on a Sunday. 
The bank certainly wouldn’t open at the weekend.

Any other clues along the street?

Time of year?

Most trees are green, and full with the exception of the beech, so I would argue that we are early autumn or late summer. Especially as the Andy sax poster says he’s due to play on the 12th October. Never the 10th of December as some were convinced of.(Lego use the European date system). unless the street is now SO long that it has its own microclimate.😂