The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

isn't it strange that the new modular is photographed without the previous neighbor?  I'm not an expert, but I thought I would never see the library again… anyway me too team moc.  it doesn't look real 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Errors in photos are nothing new, at either Lego or their competitors. Part of that has to do with the complexity of getting a set built, assembled, and brought to the studio—especially for lifestyle photos like these which would likely be done at an external location (instead of an in-house photo studio) and with limited input from the set designers themselves.

Might tune out of discussion of this set because I'm already not too fond of the negativity that's surfacing—the usual accusations of laziness or shame as if this isn't something somebody (don't know which designer yet) put a lot of work into. Hopefully when the full reveal happens and we aren't working from one leaked photo the discussion will get a little more evenhanded and considerate...

I think we all realize at this point that the last several modulars were the result of TLG slashing the set budget and not laziness on the designers part. Those sets all had a vision that clearly had a hacksaw taken to them.   

15 minutes ago, Legocentrico said:

isn't it strange that the new modular is photographed without the previous neighbor?  I'm not an expert, but I thought I would never see the library again… anyway me too team moc.  it doesn't look real 🤷‍♂️

Two of the hotel minifigs are there.  The photographer woman is in front of the bookshop and the accountant nearly gets cut off at the far right.  

Also interesting to note is that the forum discussion on Brickset suddenly vanished completely after there were warnings not to post any leaks or links to them.   I am mildly amused that the leak would come literally one day after the big letdown over the whole "Andy Sax" poster.  Also funny is that neither of the two musicians depicted are the much anticipated Andy.  That would certainly explain why Andy did not appear yesterday since he might not even be in the set!  One musician plays the string bass and the other is shown to be a drummer.   That is presumably the magician chasing after the bunny.  Then you have a singer, the tailor, the pizza chef, and the delivery person.  

Since it is fun to speculate, I will guess that there is some type of play feature inside that can make people and animals seemingly disappear for the magic act.  I also expect a drum set inside and perhaps minifig torsos and pants in the tailor shop.

Edited by AFOLguy1970
adding discussion

4 hours ago, Citromon said:

Well, I have bought the Sanctorum instead of Boutique Hotel, and it's a great modular, but somehow a 3/4 of a modular scale...

Agreed, the Sanctum (and Daily Bugle) are at a different scale to the modular buildings, which I find frustrating. I bought two, and will attempt to combine them into a proper four floor building that's 1.5x wider to give a closer scale. Although I'm a little concerned that it will dominate too much. The modular scale and composition generally is great as it gives you the essence of the building without needing all the repetition that a real world building has.

3 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

The fascade of the pizzeria looks very Euro Italian. I see what they were going for and it works.

It does, any I think it looks lovely. The problem is that it's next to a very American inspired jazz club - both style and function - so there's a bit of dissonance going on with the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Froog27 said:

I think changing the light blue to a darker gray makes the build look much better. Should be simple too since the bricks don't appear to be too complex. 

Could do. But to me it feels like it should be a bit blind and decorated. Maybe it's the problem of scale, but I could image this being highly detailed in real life, with perhaps shades of blue tiles to make it really standout. The issue for me is that the dark red doesn't feel like it goes. I'd prefera slightly more muted colour, like sand red as others have suggested. But we don't get much in the way of red buildings, so I should probably stop.

Having looked at it on a larger screen it's definitely growing on me. The details are very neat. I particularly like the hanging baskets on the pizzeria/tailors.

Even if an artist put all his blood, sweat, tears and heart in a project, a song, a movie or a Modular, it doesn’t always end up with acclaim maybe because the product is too personal or d’avant-garde to be appreciated by a large audience. I don’t think people in this forum minimize the work and the ethics of the designer. We simply compare with previous Modulars that may have been more in sync with our taste.

I don't understand, whats going up on the Pizzeria rooftop? that looks unfinished, rendering error?

42 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Might tune out of discussion of this set because I'm already not too fond of the negativity that's surfacing—the usual accusations of laziness or shame as if this isn't something somebody (don't know which designer yet) put a lot of work into. Hopefully when the full reveal happens and we aren't working from one leaked photo the discussion will get a little more evenhanded and considerate...

Would be a shame, as your insight on the build would be good to hear.

22 minutes ago, Legocentrico said:

I can see why they wouldn't put it next to the Boutique hotel though, as the style is really very different. I tend to try and keep mine grouped together thematically - civic, grand/old, more seedy downtown, 'modern' 50s. Of the currently available modulars, Assembly Square would probably fit best, but that might be too prominent, take the new set off-centre, and it might not be around for much longer (pure speculation based on age).

7 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Since it is fun to speculate, I will guess that there is some type of play feature inside that can make people and animals seemingly disappear for the magic act.  I also expect a drum set inside and perhaps minifig torsos and pants in the tailor shop.

I would love that. The detective's office and brick bank play features/stories are genuinely some of my favourite parts of the modulars.

31 minutes ago, Legocentrico said:

Yes. The photo simultaneously looks official because of the attention to detail on the minifig placement but almost everything else looks like a reviewers photo.

Could we see the official box ? !  I remember when the DD was unofficially revelead, we had a teared catalog page wth the picture of the set…

Edited by Hippocampe

Many talk about wanting to go back to one building per baseplate, but I'm glad they did a 20/12 split building for this. A jazz club doesn't need to be that big. Something like an opera house, theatre, or national art gallery would. Likewise a hospital, school, or (main) post office. But many of the recent building types don't warrant such a large space, and it does create a nice variety of styles, colours, width, heights, and depths, for a more varied and organically grown street.

It's definitely growing on me. Looking forward to the interior photos and features.

It’s not too bad. As others have noted, the “greenhouse” on the roof of the pizzeria / tailor seems particularly poorly designed (compared to prior greenhouses in Creator and Friends (?)). 

I’m not enthused about the inclusion of a jazz club, but it’s a pretty basic “box / square” design that could perhaps be easily modified into a small apartment block? Or a library, school or museum. 

I've been looking forward to another tower sign like the one from Palace Cinema, and the yellow hot dog pieces are used well here! :) Dark red and cool yellow are two colors that I've always imagined would pair well in a dual-building set, looks better than I imagined. (especially with the blue on the ground floor, it pops well under the dark red and it has a nice tone next to the yellow... and I personally love it.)

The stonework framing the upper floor windows is quite nice and I like the use of the bars for the sills. The buildings have a good amount of depth and shadow lines. Even though the dark red facade is relatively flat, the way that the center extrudes inwards frames the jazz club sign really well. And the window placement couldn't be better as far as I'm concerned! :D

A small thing as well is I'm glad to see the arched windows with the iron diamond pattern again on the pizzeria, I think last time we saw those was the Parisian Restaurant? On top of the pizzeria seems to be a greenhouse garden/trellis, I'm pretty sure upon closer look I see fresh tomatoes growing in there. The photographer likely bumped an element making it crooked on the right gable, other than that it looks very good. The hanging plants and beautifully striped awnings really complete the atmosphere.

The stonework on top of the buildings looks intricate and interesting to build. The trumpeter on the poster looks a uncanny to the tailor based on the torso, so maybe he plays at night assuming there's some extra instruments on the interior... which hopefully we see more of soon! :moar:

Edited by Overcold

55 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

It does, any I think it looks lovely. The problem is that it's next to a very American inspired jazz club - both style and function - so there's a bit of dissonance going on with the whole thing.

Agreed. And the small table with the umbrella is just like the 90s LEGO pizzeria.

It looks like it got moved to "Members Only" because of the discussion of leaks. It prompted me to sign in when I went over to look. I love how a lot of replies are people who simply cannot believe it isn't a MOC :iamded_lol:

Definitively this leak is a fake. But I really enjoy their (the fakers) effort. Irrespectively of what it will be in the end, this or something better :wink:, looking forward to the build in 2023.       

After looking at it for several hours it's full of techniques and parts from 10 years ago which makes you think it must be a Moc. But there are recolors of some parts. 

If it is a fake, then terrific effort, and great build up to the real thing. You can get recoloured pieces from other manufacturers easily enough. I just wonder why someone would go to so much effort. Fakes do not usually have this level of dedication behind them. But then, I've never understood people who make stuff up about LEGO.

27 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

If it is a fake, then terrific effort, and great build up to the real thing. You can get recoloured pieces from other manufacturers easily enough. I just wonder why someone would go to so much effort. Fakes do not usually have this level of dedication behind them. But then, I've never understood people who make stuff up about LEGO.

If it's real then there is a story here. The picture is bit blurry but from what I can tell the structure is nearly 100% old molds and the few modern parts are exclusively decorative. It's almost as if this building was designed 10 years ago, dusted off, and a few modern parts were added on top of the old build. 

52 minutes ago, Simon Olt said:

Definitively this leak is a fake. But I really enjoy their (the fakers) effort. Irrespectively of what it will be in the end, this or something better :wink:, looking forward to the build in 2023.       

How is it a fake when at least one of the parts hasn’t been released in the light bluish grey yet?:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=1745&in=S

I dig it! Bottom floor feels like an homage to the 2008 Town Plan set, and the general vibe of it really fits into that turn of the century American building oeuvre. Feels like it'll be right at home with the Fire Brigade, Police Station, Grand Emporium, and even Pet Shop! Kinda funny how there's this sort of friction with the Modulars where some people want the European vibe ones, some like the American vibes, but TLG puts out new ones that fit them based on their own whims and preferences.

6 hours ago, Beasty_Boy0800 said:

I don't know if anyone else pointed this out but initially I thought there were 7 figures, but in the larger picture there's a blond woman running after a rabbit in front of the bookshop. That's probably the magician!

I thought maybe she was from a previous Modular. Since the lime torso’d woman from the Boutique Hotel is there but the set isn’t. So yeah, this set must come with 8. That’s quite a high number. A others have said, a more complete band would’ve been nicer. 

5 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

Even if an artist put all his blood, sweat, tears and heart in a project, a song, a movie or a Modular, it doesn’t always end up with acclaim maybe because the product is too personal or d’avant-garde to be appreciated by a large audience. I don’t think people in this forum minimize the work and the ethics of the designer. We simply compare with previous Modulars that may have been more in sync with our taste.

Someone has. There was a comment of the reason why LEGO has waited so long is because they’re embarrassed by it. Very well could’ve been a joke, but still. Designers aren’t safe when people don’t like a set, so it’s hard to tell. 

12 minutes ago, Vindicare said:
5 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

Someone has. There was a comment of the reason why LEGO has waited so long is because they’re embarrassed by it. Very well could’ve been a joke, but still. Designers aren’t safe when people don’t like a set, so it’s hard to tell. 

If this set is real then this is definitely a controlled leak by TLG. It's marketing 101. Leak the most favorable image possible of a product you know isn't going to be received well, bury the leak on a Sunday, as close to launch as you can. This set looks far better next to the other modulars in the photo than released by itself or next other sets. That doesn't mean TLG is "embarrassed", it just means marketing understands they need to do damage control. 

35 minutes ago, 24nolf said:

If this set is real then this is definitely a controlled leak by TLG. It's marketing 101. Leak the most favorable image possible of a product you know isn't going to be received well, bury the leak on a Sunday, as close to launch as you can. This set looks far better next to the other modulars in the photo than released by itself or next other sets. That doesn't mean TLG is "embarrassed", it just means marketing understands they need to do damage control. 

The set isn’t being received badly here...like pretty much every Modular(any set really), there’s a varying degree of those who like it(good to great, like to love & everywhere in between), and mostly so, and there are those few who don’t. 

You’re just reiterating what the other commenter said...that TLG is doing this leak because they know the set isn’t bad. I prefer to give designers more credit. There’s always changes or thresholds that are to be met, but just because the entirety of their vision wasn’t realized means they’re back embarrassed by the set. And just because people don’t like it doesn’t mean the designers are embarrassed by it. 

It just reminds me of the video Marcos Bessa put out after the Hogwarts Express Collector’s Edition was revealed. 

Edited by Vindicare