The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Not a big fan of what I see in this photo.

Pretty boring visually (except for the jazz club sign) and don't really like the color scheme.
Also, the greenhouse above the roof looks so unfinished to me with all those gaps.

Hopefully the real thing will reveal some interesting details.

6 minutes ago, RuffDraft said:

I'm not really a fan of the two buildings side by side... they don't seem to go as well as you'd hope when placed together. 

Well, it's a trend already, 4 yers in a row... But I personally love the small donut shop in PS and the pizzeria also works fine, it only depends on the building on the right. Only thing I don't like it's actually that greenhouse. It looks unfinished and kinda odd. 

Based on this one photo it seems a bit underwhelming. Might be the second one I skip (garage was the other). Space is right and it’s too much money to spend on something I don’t immediately love.

30 minutes ago, Ginger Ninja said:

Damn, loving this. Some really cool techniques. Check out the brick-built stained glass windows on the jazz club! I believe that’s something we haven’t got in a Modular before.

We have seen them before in the Pet Shop brownstone house, but here they are framed better.

My initial impression is that it's a bit disappointing, but that is often the case with blurry leaked images, or just a single picture, as with this. I had the same feeling with the police station, but it grew on me. It may also have something to do with having recently paid after market prices for the fire station (something I very, very rarely do), as I wanted a dark red building, and now another comes along! It does look very similar to the fire station too. I think maybe the conflict of the dark red and blue doesn't work well for me.

29 minutes ago, Paco_777 said:

Not a big fan of what I see in this photo.

Pretty boring visually (except for the jazz club sign) and don't really like the color scheme.
Also, the greenhouse above the roof looks so unfinished to me with all those gaps.

Hopefully the real thing will reveal some interesting details.

^This, the jazz club building seems to have some interesting techniques at the very least but the color choices are quite weird and the pizzeria building looks very undetailed for an average modular… Big disappointment for me at first sight, also with the price tag it has, I’m excited about that double bass mold nevertheless. 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Interesting so far. I like the colors. I also have been wanting a greenhouse on a modular roof, but what we see so far something about the greenhouse looks off. 

Really missed the opportunity (as they do every single time) to reintroduce sand red. No one would be complaining and the simplicity of the color blocking would become a strength. 

28 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

We have seen them before in the Pet Shop brownstone house, but here they are framed better.

There is no stained windows in my Pet Shop? 

3 minutes ago, FrkW said:

There is no stained windows in my Pet Shop? 

Look at the back of the brown building.  There are 4 1x1 transparent bricks used to make the fairly simple design.  They are right next to the small balcony.  I would also consider the bottom level of the Brick Bank to also have somewhat of a stained glass effect using transparent green.  

Edited by AFOLguy1970
misspelled word

11 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Look at the back of the brown building.  There are 4 1x1 transparent bricks used to make the fairly simple design.  They are right next to the small balcony.  I would also consider the bottom level of the Brick Bank to also have somewhat of a stained glass effect using transparent green.  

Ah, got it set up in a bookshelf so never see that part, you're right of course! 

Based on the photos alone it feels like a big miss. I think we have to go all the way back to pre-Palace Cinema for anything that looks this uninspired. I'm hoping this is just a Moc. 

I kind of like it. The main building does have that very NYC/Harlem feel to it. I'm not crazy about the color of the Pizza place. But it isn't horrible. It does feel like it could use some detail out front. Maybe a Pretzel cart or a taxi. 

12 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Also the bookshop has a similar thing going on. But I don’t think there has ever being a fully stained glass window design in the front facade of a modular building till now.

1 hour ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

After seeing this, I think I am going to try and save up for the Sanctum Sanctorum first.  I don't hate it, but I am not getting that "cannot wait for Day 1" vibe either.   Is that a string bass?  So perhaps there is a new instrument mold after all!  Funny thing is that I ordered two squirrels on online PAB to use with my modulars.  Also breathing a sigh of relief that they did not try and make a French Quarter building with a pizzeria.  Andy Sax is nowhere to be found and there is also something about a "magic show" .  Kind of reminds me of the Friends Theater set I bought for my muppets with a $230+ price tag.  I like the yellow, but wish there was more of it.  

I feel the same way… I prefer the architecture of the Sanctum Sanctorum. The colors of the Jazz club and pizzeria don’t bother me that much; it’s rather the finition details that in my opinion are lacking or look simplistic. Like someone has written, it reminds me of the fire station that I was reluctant to buy at first. Even the detective office with its very urban look had a little balcony, water reservoir, etc. I don’t find much innovation / relief on the outside. It looks as if some architectural details have been recycled from previous sets, very few innovations… For the first time in many years, I think I will wait for this one, at least when there will be a GWP. I hope the interior will raise some interest from a construction standpoint. I wish in the future we will have a full façade modular and not 2 mini cramped buildings (hospital ? School ?) maybe for the 20th anniversary !

Edited by Hippocampe

1 hour ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

After seeing this, I think I am going to try and save up for the Sanctum Sanctorum first.  I don't hate it, but I am not getting that "cannot wait for Day 1" vibe either.   Is that a string bass?  So perhaps there is a new instrument mold after all!  Funny thing is that I ordered two squirrels on online PAB to use with my modulars.  Also breathing a sigh of relief that they did not try and make a French Quarter building with a pizzeria.  Andy Sax is nowhere to be found and there is also something about a "magic show" .  Kind of reminds me of the Friends Theater set I bought for my muppets with a $230+ price tag.  I like the yellow, but wish there was more of it.  

Well, I have bought the Sanctorum instead of Boutique Hotel, and it's a great modular, but somehow a 3/4 of a modular scale...

8 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

I feel the same way… I prefer the architecture of the Sanctum Sanctorum. The colors of the Jazz club and pizzeria don’t bother me that much; it’s rather the finition details that in my opinion are lacking or look simplistic. Like someone has written, it reminds me of the fire station that I was reluctant to buy at first. Even the detective office with its very urban look had a little balcony, water reservoir, etc. I don’t find much innovation / relief on the outside. It looks as if some architectural details have been recycled from previous sets, very few innovations… For the first time in many years, I think I will wait for this one, at least when there will be a GWP. I hope the interior will raise some interest from a construction standpoint. I wish in the future we will have a full façade modular and not 2 mini cramped buildings (hospital ? School ?) maybe for the 20th anniversary !

Agreed. The whole, "Let's make one building be four buildings" really sucks to me. There was nothing better than buying a modular that was just one thing. E.g. I really loved the Palace Cinema, and it's a really prominent piece. Parisian Restaurant, Fire Station, Town Hall... etc. all have that completeness to them, and even with Café Corner, Lego was like, "If you want more floors, buy more sets.", but now it's like, "Buy two sets to have one modular." Not a fan of that kind of thinking, but it's a nice set. I'm a fan of the Jazz Club, and the Pizzeria, but they don't seem to go together so well.

9 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

I wish in the future we will have a full façade modular and not 2 mini cramped buildings (hospital ? School ?) maybe for the 20th anniversary !

A hospital this days would be a top-notch! I don't know what they are waiting for...

7 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

I wish in the future we will have a full façade modular and not 2 mini cramped buildings (hospital ? School ?) maybe for the 20th anniversary !

Definitely second this^^ At this point, it would add a lot of variety to have a large, wide building taking up the whole width of the baseplate.

2 hours ago, FrkW said:

I live in Sweden, we always get screwed on prices anyway. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, we do.

10312 does look interesting tho.

A lot of people seem to be not like the set, I'm surprised.  I think it looks great, I love my modulars being unique in their own way and I think it'll sit beautifully with the Boutique Hotel! I'm really anxious to get the official photos and see the interior. I'm really liking it, I find it stands out! 

Personally I think this is a red herring. The Pine shelf and brown wallpaper….. Not to mention the rooftop green house with no glass.  If this is real I’ll eat my Lego collection.  Praying its not real. Keep the sign, that’s good! 

27 minutes ago, Beasty_Boy0800 said:

A lot of people seem to be not like the set, I'm surprised.  I think it looks great, I love my modulars being unique in their own way and I think it'll sit beautifully with the Boutique Hotel! I'm really anxious to get the official photos and see the interior. I'm really liking it, I find it stands out! 

I think it's difficult for many folks to "like" this set based on previous modulars, recent Bricklink designer sets and Lego Ideas submissions. 

Just look at how fun and full of life these sets are for example and then compare to this new set:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d877ae63-11e8-4e20-ac19-97c72ebe25c6

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8999c95a-f144-4dce-9e69-651ae3b5f9bb

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215741/Retro-Bowling-Alley

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215680/Venetian-Houses