The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

There is a video of Jamie talking about all the Modulars, including the hotel which LEGO seems to have forgotten about the designer video.

That's why I mean when I say that it seems like LEGO treats the modular line as an after thought. No designer video and this video with Jamie about the modular line is so good and should have been released with the new BH.

14 hours ago, Maple said:

including the hotel which LEGO seems to have forgotten about the designer video.

Maybe the designer did not what to do a video or there is some other reason they did not do it, but a lot of sets do not have them after all :shrug_oh_well:

Hi, 

I am kind of new in the modulars. Please can u advice me which other sets have modular system except buildings? Something like 80107 or lest say ghostbusters? Thank you a lot for help 

33 minutes ago, KA1 said:

Hi, 

I am kind of new in the modulars. Please can u advice me which other sets have modular system except buildings? Something like 80107 or lest say ghostbusters? Thank you a lot for help 

Depends how compatible you want it to be. Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks, and Ninjago City Gardens all use the same connection points. As does The Daily Bugle (with a small modification). That's about it for 32 stud deep sets. But the Creator 3 in 1 buildings use a similar system of connection. They aren't on the same scale, but many mod them to connect. The Friends Main Street Buildings set (41704) does the same, and you could easily modify any number of Friends or City sets into a modular system. But they're all open back. It depends how far you want to take it.

Then there are the alt builds of Creator Expert modulars (many on Rebrickable) that use exactly the same system of connection as the standard modular buildings. It's a cost effective way to get more modulars, compared with buying retired sets or creating custom MOCs where piece acquisition can be pricy.

7 hours ago, KA1 said:

Hi, 

The Spring Lantern Festival (80107 retired) also had the modular standard connection points and fixed width paths which also meet the lego modular standard.

Its worth noting that other standards do exist, usually based and expanded upon the rule which Lego stick to when their designers work on modular buildings.  Some talk about minimum ground floor height (sometimes named first floor, depending upon culture), and then ratios of the subsequent floors.  

On 4/20/2022 at 9:18 PM, KA1 said:

Hi, 

There are a few non Modular sets that work with the Modulars. 

Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks, Ninjago City Gardens all are on a Modular footprint with the same connectors. Although the sidewalks dont quite lineup. 

Marvel Daily Bugle is for all purposes a Modular. (Except one of the connection points is slightly off in the instructions. 

Ghostbusters Firehouse works, but is 2 baseplates and feels a tad overscale. 

Ideas Old Fishing Store is in scale and style

10228 Monster Fighers Haunted House works but you may want to put it on a tiled baseplate to preserve the dollhouse type opening. Be warned this one is as expensive as the oldest modulars. 

Also look around on Rebrickable. There are some great MOC plans available. Many that are conversions of non modular sets. For example there is a great one that takes 2 Ideas Sesame Street sets and turns them into a full modular corner. All you need to add are the baseplate and sidewalk tiles. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:18 AM, KA1 said:

Hi, 

I think Medieval Blacksmith 21325 fits quite well to the modular street, I'm planning to build it on a baseplate, add standard street tiles and fence, and it can be a historic preservation building.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, temes said:

I think Medieval Blacksmith 21325 fits quite well to the modular street, I'm planning to build it on a baseplate, add standard street tiles and fence, and it can be a historic preservation building.

To each their own, but I own them both and it doesn’t fit. It will look out of place. 

There was a Boutique Hotel video which discussed the inspirations for it and its design process, but I can't find it anymore.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:41 PM, Faefrost said:

Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks, Ninjago City Gardens all are on a Modular footprint with the same connectors. Although the sidewalks dont quite lineup. 

For a while our LUG incorporated the NC sets in our public displays. We have water tables which sit lower than our regular tables and those sets integrate well if they are on the lower tables with their second level walkway being level with the modular baseplates. Even if there is a little height difference, you can just build some steps that lead up to the NC walkways.

It can be depressing how fast the years have gone by. Seems like I haven’t even gotten the chance to get some of my favorite modulars from my high school years, and the years keep coming by and they keep on retiring! I feel like I’m always in a rush against retirement dates Lego collecting can be so exhausting when you’re just determined not to pay after market fee’s lol

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

It can be depressing how fast the years have gone by. Seems like I haven’t even gotten the chance to get some of my favorite modulars from my high school years, and the years keep coming by and they keep on retiring! I feel like I’m always in a rush against retirement dates Lego collecting can be so exhausting when you’re just determined not to pay after market fee’s lol

You get three years to buy modulars. The third one retires at the end of the year. BookShop should retire in the fall.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, BrickFit26 said:

That's why I mean when I say that it seems like LEGO treats the modular line as an after thought. No designer video and this video with Jamie about the modular line is so good and should have been released with the new BH.

The Police Station got one & I know Bookshop did as well. Maybe something came up or didn’t come together to get a video for BH. 

The new Sanctum Santorium will certainly find it's place among the the modulars. Best fit for a non series set yet? 

1 hour ago, FrkW said:

The new Sanctum Santorium will certainly find it's place among the the modulars. Best fit for a non series set yet? 

I think so. Remove the figures and you've pretty much got a modular library. It's great.

It looks the part, for sure, and will sit much better than the Bugle, in most modular towns.  I’ve yet to look how tall it is compared to other Modulars, but think it’ll need to be next to Assembly square or something similar in order to not look out of place.  With the Hotel being a corner modular, this makes a lot of corners in my town, should i pick it up.  I think it’ll have to be discounted before i do, however.

35 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

It looks the part, for sure, and will sit much better than the Bugle, in most modular towns.  I’ve yet to look how tall it is compared to other Modulars, but think it’ll need to be next to Assembly square or something similar in order to not look out of place.  With the Hotel being a corner modular, this makes a lot of corners in my town, should i pick it up.  I think it’ll have to be discounted before i do, however.

According to lego.com it's 32 cm, but some of that will be the chimneys, so it's actually not as tall as it looks. Can't wait to see how it looks displayed next to the modulars. 

I'm looking forward to see a picture of this set next to modular buildings.

The style would fit, but I don't think it lacks refinement in comparison with the official modular buildings.

On 6/19/2022 at 3:47 PM, jus1973 said:

Your wish is granted. On discount at pre-order :o

https://www.jb-spielwaren.de/lego-76218-set-doctor-strange-sanctum-sanctorum/a-648655112/

18 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

Hmm, sadly we don’t get that kind of discount in the UK, and importing now we’re not in the EU, is an absolute pain.

They deliver to Ireland at a flat €13 rate, so it still works out with a small(er) discount.

Unfortunately I don't know how it would work delivering to UK in the brexit-verse.

I really love that the set isn't out and is already $60 cheaper in Europe than the USA. The pricing is ridiculous and I'm sick of LEGO fans making excuses for the price gauging.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:22 PM, Maple said:

I really love that the set isn't out and is already $60 cheaper in Europe than the USA. The pricing is ridiculous and I'm sick of LEGO fans making excuses for the price gauging.

And much of Europe is equally sick of the sets that USA gets that are cheaper on release than our prices. Pot, kettle.