The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Picked up the BH and the new fire station today. Shop was busy but no queue to get in or anything like that when we got there just as it opened. Got little skate park set for free for spending over £40

When we walked back past an hour later there was a small queue outside (because Covid rather than outright busyness)

Could still see plenty of BH sets in the store

Have built the little skate park and the fire engine and chopper. Probably won’t start the BH until one evening after work

Edited by rriggs

I finished the BH, and it looks very nice.  The experience was fun, and it was enjoyable to read the commentary in the instructions pointing back to other modulars.  As always, there are new building techniques and some very interesting uses for parts that none of us even considered.  I am fine with the color scheme, and the minifigs are good.  There are many nice details and several minibuilds await in the interior.  I find it comical, but understandable that we would have a luggage cart, however It is not going to get very far ;) 

Minor complaint:  I am not a fan of the cabinet doors where they are used in the hotel rooms as they are very loose.  More major complaint: while there has been discussion about its height and floor levels compared to other modulars, I have a bit of concern with the floors compared to each other.  The middle floor is about a brick height lower then the bottom floor.  The top floor is a brick height shorter than the middle floor, therefore the floor heights are gradually shrinking.  If you separate the floors and place them next to each other, you will see what I mean.  Later on, I might modify this by adding a brick layer to the top floor.  Perhaps an extra flesh layer on the bottom exterior sections to match its surroundings, and then the interior walls will get the extra layer on top.  That way, the doors do not meet the ceiling like they do now.  Hopefully Bricks and Pieces will have the curved and straight flesh bricks necessary to make this adjustment.  

For the most part, I am fairly happy with the hotel.  It is whimsical, but so are many of the modulars.  One last observation:  The barista and his coffee cart recall the original modular: the Cafe Corner.  When I google images of Jamie Berard (the CC designer) with his glasses and look at this particular minifigure, I see a resemblance.  Was that intended?  

Agree on your points AFOLguy. Those cabinet doors are silly loose. I quite enjoyed building this. The layout of construction was quite good though I do often ask myself when building these why Lego decides to use the parts they do. I mean, I know it's to up the piece count so they can justify the costs, but, for instance, there are many times where they use an "L" 2x2 and a 1x1 where are regular ole square 2x2 would suffice just fine as the piece gets hidden. 

Regardless, the second Hotel has taken its place amongst its brethren (see build thread for pics.)

Just built this as well. I love the modulars, and get the new one for New Year's every year. I agree also, I may try to modify the floors and make them a bit taller. One minor thing I didn't like was step 230...the round 1x1 plates just rest on top of the assembly. Are they supposed to "fit" on the 1x1 round tile with bar and pin holder? I couldn't get it to so I assumed they just "rest" there. Of course the next couple of steps help secure them with plates and stuff, but I prefer all pieces to fit before moving on, maybe it's just me. It's a fun building though and lots of great details. 

It's weird for me to think that I haven't actually bought a modular since 2012 when the Town Hall was released. That's quite a long gap in between, I think this is the year I expand that portion of my collection. 

Aren't all / most of the modulars have a taller bottom floor and shorter top floors?

2 hours ago, JRBricks said:

Just built this as well. I love the modulars, and get the new one for New Year's every year. I agree also, I may try to modify the floors and make them a bit taller. One minor thing I didn't like was step 230...the round 1x1 plates just rest on top of the assembly. Are they supposed to "fit" on the 1x1 round tile with bar and pin holder? I couldn't get it to so I assumed they just "rest" there. Of course the next couple of steps help secure them with plates and stuff, but I prefer all pieces to fit before moving on, maybe it's just me. It's a fun building though and lots of great details. 

I noticed that too. I only had one of two that were really just resting there, the rest of them more or less were secure.

2 hours ago, Maple said:

Aren't all / most of the modulars have a taller bottom floor and shorter top floors?

Yes, however I think that the highest floor is very short, even compared to the middle floor.  If the upper two floors were comparable in height, I think it would look fine.  

Starting Monday you get the Chinese New Year Tiger GWP with the BH. Better than nothing.

Hello fellow modular fans!  Finished the build of BH yesterday and I’d like to vote for it as the best modular yet.  Main reason probably is the building at an angle, adds extra complexity and intrigue.

I love the references to previous modulars, even if some of the are a bit contrived I don’t mind, it’s all fun.

I love the light nougat and the overall colour scheme, the hotel staff minifigs, the art shop, the furniture inside - yes these cabinet doors fly open!, the tiling on the ground floor, the visitor book.

There’s just so much more to the modular with the red piece at the base of the palm tree, and overall more specific pieces compared to only being able to use existing pieces already in production.

I have 2 hotel rooms in my Cafe Corner interior, so 5 rooms in total now.  Tourist town!

Looking forward to the Music Hall!

On 1/6/2022 at 2:34 PM, GregD said:

Hello fellow modular fans!  Finished the build of BH yesterday and I’d like to vote for it as the best modular yet.  Main reason probably is the building at an angle, adds extra complexity and intrigue.

I love the references to previous modulars, even if some of the are a bit contrived I don’t mind, it’s all fun.

I love the light nougat and the overall colour scheme, the hotel staff minifigs, the art shop, the furniture inside - yes these cabinet doors fly open!, the tiling on the ground floor, the visitor book.

There’s just so much more to the modular with the red piece at the base of the palm tree, and overall more specific pieces compared to only being able to use existing pieces already in production.

I have 2 hotel rooms in my Cafe Corner interior, so 5 rooms in total now.  Tourist town!

Looking forward to the Music Hall!

Yeah, honestly I agree. I think this is better than parisian restaraunt. Theres a lot of really bold choices in here, and some people may not like them (color choices, the unique layout that limits its displayability with other modulars ) but I think (in a vaccum)  it results in the most visually appealing modular they've done. The color scheme is really nice, the details are very intricate and even extend around the back, and the interior is great and has a lot of nice builds. The best part is the architectural style, very inspired. Only criticisms is the plam tree is just okay, and I wish the building was 2 bricks taller. 

Edited by chezzymann

I also finished the Boutique Hotel last night and I found it to be mostly enjoyable. There were parts of the build that got super repetitive though (like some of the windows and finer details on the building’s exterior). And was I the only one who had some trouble connecting those “candle” pieces to the holed 1x1 studs?

Otherwise, I did really enjoy the build as I spread it out across multiple days. I noticed most of the easter eggs once the set was revealed, particularly the Galidor painting and other Modular Building references, but I still really enjoyed them regardless. I also really liked the fifteenth anniversary seal on the box with the silhouettes of all the “modern” Modular Buildings.

The picture of all the Modular Buildings together in the instruction manual was gorgeous as well. I do hope to have them all someday, though I doubt that’ll happen. Not unless I get really lucky finding the first few for a good price, or Lego rereleases them someday, like what they did with that random Taj Mahal remake in 2017. Probably a good thing anyway as I’m officially out of room on my Modular Building shelf! (And I still need to get the Book Shop and Police Station before they’re gone too…)

I think i found how im gonna display botique hotel on my street: as a straight between PR and pet shop. It actually works as a straight building since it takes up about 28 studs of horizontal space on the side, more than downtown diner does. Since pet shop is also short it helps blend the height with other modulars. And next to parisian the other side of the building isn't completley hidden. I personally think the layout makes more sense this way than as a corner. 

20220110_112439kjjku.jpg

Edited by chezzymann

Thanks for that picture @chezzymann. I really dislike it as a corner building, but it looks decent in your layout. The alleyway feels natural.

5 hours ago, chezzymann said:

I think i found how im gonna display botique hotel on my street: as a straight between PR and pet shop. It actually works as a straight building since it takes up about 28 studs of horizontal space on the side, more than downtown diner does. Since pet shop is also short it helps blend the height with other modulars. And next to parisian the other side of the building isn't completley hidden. I personally think the layout makes more sense this way than as a corner. 

20220110_112439kjjku.jpg

I like how this looks, I might do the same the next time I move around my Modulars! (Which might have to be sooner rather than later, as I have no space for the Bookshop or Police Station, the only two current ones I’m missing.

Edited by The Stud

I love the way that layout looks! The little alleyway there enhances it, makes it look like a secret little passage. Plus the patrons of the PR can make silly faces and wave at the people on the terrace :laugh:

Agreed that the BH layout looks nice with the alley. I do the same in my linear row with Palace Cinema and a corner MOC. Helps break up the skyline and also complements the passage in Detective's Office.

Personally, I think the flat facade of the hotel looks best as the front. It's most likely what you'd build into the main street, and certainly not a small art gallery tacked on in the available space. But then, I also think that with Brick Bank, with the laundrette being down an alley/minor street, and the bank entrance being at the front. I appreciate that it means less variety in the main front view, but it makes more sense to me, and I like the bold statement of the wide, grand building.

If you place 10297 facing back-to-back with 10246 and offset 10297 by 16 studs, you should get a natural alleyway between the art gallery and Ace Brickman's office, right?

On 1/10/2022 at 1:26 PM, chezzymann said:

20220110_112439kjjku.jpg

Leads to Diagon Alley?

^^ That's a good idea!

I also like the placement there. A Hotel next to the Parisian Restaurant always struck me as the right location. 

On 1/3/2022 at 1:59 PM, westracing01 said:

Agree on your points AFOLguy. Those cabinet doors are silly loose. I quite enjoyed building this. The layout of construction was quite good though I do often ask myself when building these why Lego decides to use the parts they do. I mean, I know it's to up the piece count so they can justify the costs, but, for instance, there are many times where they use an "L" 2x2 and a 1x1 where are regular ole square 2x2 would suffice just fine as the piece gets hidden. 

Regardless, the second Hotel has taken its place amongst its brethren (see build thread for pics.)

Piece count has remarkably little to do with the cost or cost planning by Lego. Piece count is an AFOL thing. Part selection is driven more by ability to easily differentiate in the instructions, and the limitations of part type per bag of the automatic bagging stations. 

15 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Piece count has remarkably little to do with the cost or cost planning by Lego. Piece count is an AFOL thing. Part selection is driven more by ability to easily differentiate in the instructions, and the limitations of part type per bag of the automatic bagging stations. 

This. But don't forget that a L and a 1x1 plate might be in production in that color and a 2x2 might not be. The L and 1x1 might be planned for other sets while a 2x2 would only be in this one. It's like ice cream, the place might have 85 flavors but they don't make all 85 all the time.