The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

7 hours ago, jedisquidward said:

I somewhat understand a few complaints but on the whole I don't get why this set seems to be getting THIS much dislike. When you have so many other modulars which are so very square, it's nice to see something like this that really goes in a completely different direction. Still waiting to see what GWP is.

Because squares fit together, this set simply doesn't fit with other modulars in my point of view. It's really that simple.

5 hours ago, Kalahari134 said:

Because people are never satisfied. I like it. I'll change bits, maybe even buy two for a bigger hotel.

I like the Police Station. The tiny sand green section isn' needed and kind of lame, but whatever.
I wish the Bookstore was pale yellow, and the green floor is weird, but otherwise I like it.

The hotel doesn't fit, and LEGo could have done something about that, but didn't. And from what I've seen recently, wouldn't surprise me if no one at LEGO even bothered building it before revealing it. (I'm being slightly sarcastic, but only slightly.)

7 hours ago, Maple said:
14 hours ago, jedisquidward said:

I somewhat understand a few complaints but on the whole I don't get why this set seems to be getting THIS much dislike. When you have so many other modulars which are so very square, it's nice to see something like this that really goes in a completely different direction. Still waiting to see what GWP is.

Because squares fit together, this set simply doesn't fit with other modulars in my point of view. It's really that simple.

Maybe it fits the future modulars we all don't know but the Lego designers know at least with a rough idea. I'm pretty sure it's the starting point of a new era of modulars

And for my point of view I really like it and I'm happy the squares/ rectangles only pattern is broken. 

18 hours ago, jedisquidward said:

It doesn't. As usual on the internet, the negative voices are just much louder and more persistent than the positive ones.

16 hours ago, Maple said:

I like the Police Station. The tiny sand green section isn' needed and kind of lame, but whatever.
I wish the Bookstore was pale yellow, and the green floor is weird, but otherwise I like it.

The hotel doesn't fit, and LEGo could have done something about that, but didn't. And from what I've seen recently, wouldn't surprise me if no one at LEGO even bothered building it before revealing it. (I'm being slightly sarcastic, but only slightly.)

Hotel fits perfectly :) 

11 hours ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

It doesn't. As usual on the internet, the negative voices are just much louder and more persistent than the positive ones.

Yep. Also, it's pretty normal for there to be a lot more controversy around a new Modular Building set when it's first announced than later on after it's no longer new. The same thing's happened with practically every new Modular Building since the Fire Brigade.

That's not to say that everybody who starts out with a critical opinion of a new Modular Building ends up warming up to it. There are still plenty of folks who hold negative opinions of certain previous Modular Buildings. But as time goes on, discussion of the earlier installments tends to become more driven by people who are fond of them, instead of by people sharing their first impressions, debating their strengths and weaknesses, or speculating about what they'll mean for the future of the series.

It's pretty much the same as why there aren't a lot of folks these days sharing lengthy critiques of themes like Agents, Power Miners, and Atlantis (which were once highly controversial). They're no longer really relevant to people who have no interest in or fondness for them, whereas back when they were still new/current, there was more incentive for those people to discuss the aspects of those themes that they felt were in serious need of improvement.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, Maple said:

The PS and BB are not my favorites ether.  Have not purchased the BB yet, but I will.  Hate to admit it, but if TLG offers a modular building I most likely going to buy it.

Would be cool if TLG would design the releases so one could make a more common city block over a 4 year cycle.  Example say for the next 4 years all sets more modern European theme.  This could be one city block.  Next 4 years things switch to US design in the 40's, and so on. 

14 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Yep. Also, it's pretty normal for there to be a lot more controversy around a new Modular Building set when it's first announced than later on after it's no longer new. The same thing's happened with practically every new Modular Building since the Fire Brigade.

That's not to say that everybody who starts out with a critical opinion of a new Modular Building ends up warming up to it. There are still plenty of folks who hold negative opinions of certain previous Modular Buildings. But as time goes on, discussion of the earlier installments tends to become more driven by people who are fond of them, instead of by people sharing their first impressions, debating their strengths and weaknesses, or speculating about what they'll mean for the future of the series.

It’s also true, for almost almost everyone at least, that at the moment, these comments are based on images and other peoples video reviews.  Quite often peoples thoughts change once they’ve built it, and had time to move it around their displays.

I, for one, applaud TLG and the designer for breaking out of the “square” block.  Whilst all Modulars have flaws, it’s refreshing to have another angle in the series.  

6 hours ago, jus1973 said:

It’s also true, for almost almost everyone at least, that at the moment, these comments are based on images and other peoples video reviews.  Quite often peoples thoughts change once they’ve built it, and had time to move it around their displays.

I, for one, applaud TLG and the designer for breaking out of the “square” block.  Whilst all Modulars have flaws, it’s refreshing to have another angle in the series.  

Yep.

This is also what I like most about the building - it really is something new. And it's done well (imo at least). And while it can be seen as just another ploy to shrink down the floorspace (which it undoubtedly is :laugh: ), it also adds a new voice to the modular chorus. Most previous buildings had either a distinct middle european or north-american style, while the BH has more of a mediterranean/cuban feel to it.

Really looking forward to building this one. Won't be getting it on day one (I have too many unopened sets already, plus I'm working on my next modular MOC), but as soon as it is discounted somewhere, or 2x VIP rolls around, it's mine :)

Looks like the GWP will be a hotel keycard? According to images on instagram. Weird…

Edited by Bainter-ban
Wrong word

Why on earth would they do that? Surely it's just creating waste. In the beforetimes, I would travel a lot, and sometimes forget to leave my hotel keycard behind. It would go in the bin when I got back. Sometimes even at the airport.

Oh well, at least I won't feel compelled to welcome in the New Year by sitting on the LEGO website waiting to order it to get a GWP, and I can wait for double VIP or a useful GWP later in the year. I hope LEGO stop these non-LEGO brick GWP soon.

Despite the negativity we all know a lot of us will be there first thing Saturday to buy it and that the set will sell out by mid next week. 

I fully plan to be in line Saturday morning at the Lego Store to get mine. 

7 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Looks like the GWP will be a hotel keycard? According to images on instagram. Weird…

I saw that rumor.  Hopefully will be something a bit more desirable for everyone. Is odd as now 12/29 and the January Store Calendar has yet to be released.

1 hour ago, LegoDW said:

I saw that rumor.  Hopefully will be something a bit more desirable for everyone. Is odd as now 12/29 and the January Store Calendar has yet to be released.

If it's anything like the December one, then it can take a long time to fill the days with blank spaces.

Or, more usefully, they may be cutting it fine with what inventory they can get out to all locations, and so delaying publishing it. And/or they are light on staff over the holidays.

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

If it's anything like the December one, then it can take a long time to fill the days with blank spaces.

Or, more usefully, they may be cutting it fine with what inventory they can get out to all locations, and so delaying publishing it. And/or they are light on staff over the holidays.

Yes December gwp were a little light.  I did like the Santa's front yard, IMO would have preferred a new molded Reindeer.  It would go with the one from the Elf House set (I own) better.

Can order a few from Lego Replacement Pieces

17 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

Yes December gwp were a little light.  I did like the Santa's front yard, IMO would have preferred a new molded Reindeer.  It would go with the one from the Elf House set (I own) better.

Can order a few from Lego Replacement Pieces

Or just go for the battle pack! Santa's Sleigh 40499 | Other | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Kinda surprised by the Hotel Card, but I do think it's a nice bonus GWP for the 15th anniversary Hotel. However, I don't think it's great as a full GWP for the modular, so we'll see what else comes...

18 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I hope LEGO stop these non-LEGO brick GWP soon.

I have no interest in them at all and often they have really high thresholds as well, probably since Lego do not make them and must pay money to get them :hmpf:

Unless Lego have a interesting GWP I will as a rule always wait for a better deal in other shops later, so fine by me :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I have no interest in them at all and often they have really high thresholds as well, probably since Lego do not make them and must pay money to get them :hmpf:

Unless Lego have a interesting GWP I will as a rule always wait for a better deal in other shops later, so fine by me :shrug_oh_well:

I suspect that things like the sign and fleece blanket from the last month cost them far less to produce than a brick-built GWP. I suppose it depends whether you want to consider fixed cost vs additional cost. The time and effort required to design and test (plus manufacture) a brick-built GWP will be far more than getting a single graphic designers to give a design to a promotional gift manufacturer to churn out loads of signs, blankets, mugs etc. You get these as corporate gifts at conferences all the time and they cost virtually nothing. It's shocking really.

It may be a hangover from lock down last year (if sets take a year or so to produce) where they decided to do things that are easier without the need for physical collaboration. Or it may be that they're trying to broaden appeal, or get the LEGO brand into other areas of people's lives. Or that it's just quicker and cheaper for them to produce. Either way, I hope it stops and doesn't expand, as GWPs can often be amazing sets. and it would be a shame to lose access to the team that develops them.

I have a LEGO grocery bag thing. My mom got it from a tag sale for like a buck. Pretty sure it was a $200 GWP thing. It's nice, but again $1 when at a tag sale even used dirty LEGOs would go for more. 

My guess on why there is more junk GWP is LEGO is making too many sets, they can't keep up with demand and quality is slipping. No need to have awesome GWPs when things sell out anyways.

GWP have been ruined anyway when gluttonous scum run around hitting five different stores on release day to get seventeen of them so they can scalp on Bricklink like that vintage car with the police station modular. Good riddance to the GWP.

14 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

So is the LEGO store promo the one we’ve been waiting to hear about? Or is there still one for the modular? 

Promobricks reported set 40532 to be a 15th modular anniversary GWP a while ago. But nobody else. The set number of the store GWP doesn't match this number. And the leaked hotel card GWP doesn't match this either.

So there is some hope that set 40532 magically appears tomorrow, but my hopes aren't to high in this one.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

GWP have been ruined anyway when gluttonous scum run around hitting five different stores on release day to get seventeen of them so they can scalp on Bricklink like that vintage car with the police station modular. Good riddance to the GWP.

Why drive? You can do multiple orders and get multiple GWPs. I'm still sour I never got the teal car. 

6 hours ago, Maple said:

Why drive? You can do multiple orders and get multiple GWPs. I'm still sour I never got the teal car. 

They do both. They proudly boast about how many they were able to snatch up in-store along with how many more they're getting in online orders. That same teal car set. One of them posted a link on here to a photo showing and discussing how many of that teal car set they were able to snatch up at the same time that a bunch of other members in another thread were discussing their disappointment in not being able to get one because of rapacity. I made a comment about the avarice but got reprimanded. Sorry you missed out on that set, a whole lot of people did.

Edit: I posted this in the dedicated thread for that car but here it is again, a bunch of these parts were listed as incoming to be available direct from Lego on Bricks and Pieces but I haven't been on there in like a year to check if they were ever made available, these are the parts that were exclusive to that set and really key to completing it in teal:

35789 MUDGUARD 2X4X2, NO. 1

11458 PLATE 1X2 W. HOR. HOLE Ø 4.8

3176 COUPLING PLATE 2X2

87544 WALL ELEMENT 1X2X3

45677 PLATE 4X4X2/3

Edited by koalayummies