The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 12/11/2021 at 5:43 AM, Follows Closely said:

Sorry for the quote. Something went wrong. Didn't know how to delete it...

I wanted to ask if anybody heard news on the GWP yet?

Edited by Kallego

4 hours ago, Kallego said:

Sorry for the quote. Something went wrong. Didn't know how to delete it...

I wanted to ask if anybody heard news on the GWP yet?

Maybe there is none. There is none this month. 

Plus if there is It's most likely from January 5th to whatever and by then the BH will be sold out. :pir_laugh2:

On 12/11/2021 at 5:24 AM, jus1973 said:
On 12/11/2021 at 5:24 AM, jus1973 said:

It’s always interesting to see the comments on a new modular.  Especially when its ‘constructive criticism’.  The thing i think we all forget, is that there is probably a target price point for designers to work to, and that may not be the price we see, but an internal one based on the cost of producing the number of each individual part required.  When it comes to the more intricate bits which high end moccers will always fix on their own designs, but because of this ‘cost cap’, the designer can’t fix it.  I think the cost of the Corner Garage, which surprised quite a few of us, might be explained by this.  

I’m just guessing here, of course,  but I know this is a business model that is used in some industries.

Agree, think a few corners (pardon the pun) were taken on the design of the Corner Garage.  

On 12/12/2021 at 1:51 PM, ReplicaOfLife said:

The only reason you would build a building with such an acute angle in real life is because the street grid forced you to.

Maybe, the art gallery had been built before the hotel. And a lot of time later the hotel has been built. Now the art gallery forced the angle of the hotel.

5 hours ago, fhurlbrink said:

Maybe, the art gallery had been built before the hotel. And a lot of time later the hotel has been built. Now the art gallery forced the angle of the hotel.

It has been there before the Hotel came up and refused to sell the land. The result we see now in the 2022 modular building scene.

The good thing is that it allows for various MOD options

On 12/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, Maple said:

Plus if there is It's most likely from January 5th to whatever and by then the BH will be sold out.

This sounds like a joke (my wife and I have a laugh about these things as well), and it would be funny, but this is actually not at all unlikely, sadly enough.
It seems to get worse and worse. We have a wish list on the LEGO site of 12 items, only one (1) of which is in stock. And it has been like that for weeks.

We switched on some "remind me when the item is in stock again" emails, only to find that by the time we read the email and visited the site, the item was out of stock again already!

1 hour ago, Withacee said:

This sounds like a joke (my wife and I have a laugh about these things as well), and it would be funny, but this is actually not at all unlikely, sadly enough.
It seems to get worse and worse. We have a wish list on the LEGO site of 12 items, only one (1) of which is in stock. And it has been like that for weeks.

We switched on some "remind me when the item is in stock again" emails, only to find that by the time we read the email and visited the site, the item was out of stock again already!

Because it happened last year with the awesome teal car. Everything was OOS when it came out, and then it still sold out really quick. I regret not getting it.

Funny you should bring up the wish list. Mine was super out of date and I figured with nothing in stock I'd add the new 2022 sets I want. Nope. The website won't let me, just says I exceed the limit of 30. I have 18 things in the list. I would just like a functioning website from the biggest toy company in the world.

Do the ‘Designer videos’ tend to release once the set is out?

I feel like I remember the PS getting a short walkthrough video alongside its reveal but maybe I’m not remembering correctly.

46 minutes ago, jonahtron said:

Do the ‘Designer videos’ tend to release once the set is out?

They are kind of randomly released. Sometimes they were shown with the reveal, sometimes when the set comes out and sometimes months later.

37 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

They should drop that designer video already.

Yes!

Let's start this again... Maybe they will TOMORROW! 

4 hours ago, Maple said:

Yes!

Let's start this again... Maybe they will TOMORROW! 

I heard from a friend of my cousins brothers girlfriends neighbor that it will come tomorrow. 

Interesting images of some of the prototypes for the hotel in this snippet of an interview with the designer.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-10297-boutique-hotel-prototype-models/

It's Brick Fanatics though, so expect the interview to generate about 20 million posts... And a few billion internal links.

The two shown look very interesting. The fourth floor on the first is really nice, and I like the idea of the alley too. Gives it more of a reason to be at an angle.

26 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Interesting images of some of the prototypes for the hotel in this snippet of an interview with the designer.

It's Brick Fanatics though, so expect the interview to generate about 20 million posts... And a few billion internal links.

The two shown look very interesting. The fourth floor on the first is really nice, and I like the idea of the alley too. Gives it more of a reason to be at an angle.

Omg! The first one with hidden garden between two buildings is amazing! 

9 minutes ago, ddavid said:

Omg! The first one with hidden garden between two buildings is amazing! 

Might be a case of buying two and MOCing it.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

All those show me is we really did get the worst version of the set. The alley with a fountain is awesome idea.

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Thanks for posting this!  I would definitely like having a 4th floor.  It's pretty evident from the prototypes that having a taller 2nd wedge building makes it feel really cramped - a 32x32 baseplate isn't large enough.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

I know I'm in the minority. The more I look at it, the less I like it. Something about it just is off to me. I mean, I'll buy it eventually so LEGO wins anyway, but I won't build it. I'll have to come up with a different MOC out of some of the pieces sometime. 

1 hour ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Thanks for posting this!  I would definitely like having a 4th floor.  It's pretty evident from the prototypes that having a taller 2nd wedge building makes it feel really cramped - a 32x32 baseplate isn't large enough.

My not so serious prediction for the 15th anniversary GWP is the fourth floor  as GWP adding the fourth room for the fourth, so far unused key in the set ;-)

38 minutes ago, Kallego said:

My not so serious prediction for the 15th anniversary GWP is the fourth floor  as GWP adding the fourth room for the fourth, so far unused key in the set ;-) 

Kinda reminds me of years ago when I attempted to come up with an interior floor plan for the Green Grocer's upper floors… I quickly realized that even omitting bathrooms or kitchens, it was hard to realistically house enough tenants to justify the set's FOUR mailboxes! When I looked up other people's attempts I quickly realized it wasn't something other people really concerned themselves with at all — most simply treated it as a single-family townhouse.

I wish Modular Buildings in future would have 4th floor after we have seen Daily Bugle set this year!

It would per super cool!

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I wish Modular Buildings in future would have 4th floor after we have seen Daily Bugle set this year!

It would per super cool!

I agree that modulars can often look good taller but I think keeping additional floors optional (by buying an additional set or parts to duplicate the second floor) is still a better way to go, since it helps keep the sets from getting much less affordable and reduces repetition in the base set.

From the Alternate build article. 

Wow!!!  Could you imagine if we got this version.

LEGO for Adults 10297 Boutique Hotel sketch model 1

“Specifically, that patio [above the art gallery] is there to make sure that we don’t hide the billboard on the Police Station. At one point the building was mirrored the other way over the angle, and that was completely hiding this beautiful detail that people who bought this building probably want to show off.”