The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

100% must buy for me. Like these colors, shapes and everything about that. Palm tree is just like real. Im so excited to build this one.

Review for those who are blind for "easter-eggs" and other details. I like to have them all mentioned.

Spoiler

It's finally tomorrow!

I like it, however it looks small considering 3000 pieces. The inside is better detailed than most recent ones. I like the flesh color. I HATE the color of the first floor. I feel it doesn't fit in well with the rest of the set.

It also looks HORRIBLE from the left side, where the Police Station is in the photos. The angle isn't the best there. I do like how it has a very Cuban feel to it.

If I don't find a Corner Garage at least this makes up for it.

Edited by Maple

Really like the BH - has a hint of French Riviera! Looks like it will be a fun build with tons of nice details.

Edited by GCO

It could definitely benefit from a 16x32 extension to the hotel portion.  The composition shot with the Police/Bookshop sets shows how the 2nd and 3rd floors have much lower ceiling heights.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Not really feeling it yet tbh, ranks fairly low on my list.  Not big on the colour scheme, or snakes as railing. Palm Tree texture looks nice, but I don't like how it's gold. I expected more from the art gallery as well, feels like it could have been left out and made into a bigger art gallery/museum next year, and have more space to make the Hotel bigger.  

Edited by Undi3sss

Overall - there's a lot to like! The design of the hotel is striking - I'm just not in love with the light nougat color of the 2nd floor and the art gallery feels a bit smushed/tacked on, especially with the stairs leading up to the patio bar.

5 minutes ago, Undi3sss said:

Not really feeling it yet tbh, ranks fairly low on my list.  Not big on the colour scheme, or snakes as railing. I expected more from the art gallery as well, feels like it could have been left out and made into a bigger art gallery next year, and have more space to make the Hotel bigger.  

I agree it should just be a hotel. I don't know why LEGO is against making a modular just one thing. It looks too weird from the left side and simply removing the tiny art gallery would help a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Maple said:

I agree it should just be a hotel. I don't know why LEGO is against making a modular just one thing. It looks too weird from the left side and simply removing the tiny art gallery would help a lot. 

It's Lego and it shouldn't be a static thing - you can always strip that Art gallery out, move the check-in desk to the side right by the stairs and open that wall up and turn that space into a small bar.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Just now, alvinofdiaspar said:

It's Lego and it shouldn't be a static thing - you can always strip that Art gallery out, move the check-in desk to the side right by the stairs and open that wall up and that space into a small bar.

It's a $200 LEGO set. I shouldn't have to spend another $100 to make it look nice next to another modular.

I fell asleep looking for Corner Garages last night and the one I was going to buy new in beat up box for $230USD was snatched up. I need to go back to buy now and return later. That was I could have gotten one from Amazon, then returned it if LEGO had CG with a god freebie or double points. :laugh:

1 minute ago, Maple said:

It's a $200 LEGO set. I shouldn't have to spend another $100 to make it look nice next to another modular.

I fell asleep looking for Corner Garages last night and the one I was going to buy new in beat up box for $230USD was snatched up. I need to go back to buy now and return later. That was I could have gotten one from Amazon, then returned it if LEGO had CG with a god freebie or double points. :laugh:

Like I have said, it's Lego - it's meant to be modified to suit one's tastes - and they can't possibly please everyone.  I think part of the fun is making these sets truly "yours" by modifying them.

Holy moly, reviews are already up!? *huh* 

I really like it! The Hotel Boutique feels very refreshing for a Modular design. I'm not very big on Cuban style buildings, but this set sold me on the style. I've been waiting for LEGO to use Light Nougat for buildings or tackle a building with an acute angle and this building has done both! Hats off to the designer(s)!

I can't decide if I like the Boutique Hotel or not. I'm not sure about the angled style yet..

I feel like I'll want to swap out that weird gold palm tree for a more standard palm tree like the ones you used to get with the classic Pirate sets.

I guess I'll just have to look at the display model in the Lego Store once it's released to decide if I want it or not.

For me, this is one of the best modulars. Great exterior, beautiful interior and Mondrian and Picasso paintings. Really very nice.

20 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Like I have said, it's Lego - it's meant to be modified to suit one's tastes - and they can't possibly please everyone.  I think part of the fun is making these sets truly "yours" by modifying them.

Mods shouldn't be having to remake 1/2 or 1/3 of the structure because LEGO forgot that the modular series should.... I don't know.... be modular.

For me it's one of the best if not the best since PR. 

Day one purchase.

Any news on the gwp that I missed?

First impressions are great. I love the shape and detailing. Would prefer more muted colors, so that it feels more northern European, but that's my taste from personal experiences being there. Still like the colors though, as something vibrant to stand out a bit and not get lost. Will definitely be getting it.

Loving the look of this modular. Lots of great techniques and a fabulous overall look. For the record, I LOVE when Lego makes a modular with more than one building/business in it. It makes them feel much more realistic, like a city that developed organically instead of just a bunch of square buildings that are the exact same size.

Anyone else spot the cheeky Galidor reference? :tongue:

The Secession style Architecture realny works with this set. If feels like a blend of French, German and Russian Architecture of the 19th century

17 minutes ago, Maple said:

Mods shouldn't be having to remake 1/2 or 1/3 of the structure because LEGO forgot that the modular series should.... I don't know.... be modular.

Don’t you mean Mocs, not mods?:oh3:

Just read Huw's review on Brickset, and definitely impressed. What a fabulous building.

Also, does the experience of new sets improve of they are revealed properly, with a decent review from e.g. Brickset, compared to blurry leaked photos on Instagram? Not heading and real disappointment from this, unlike sets that leak first.

5 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Don’t you mean Mocs, not mods?:oh3:

No, the whole left side I feel is completely off for a modular. So I would have to take it all down and redo it, that's a third of the set that would need to be modified. 

The building seems too short. Almost like it was squished. The roof is shorter than the Pet Shop.

But its not that bad.

I would like a picture next to Parisian restaurant to see if the terraces match.

2 minutes ago, ddavid said:

The building seems too short.

I would like a picture next to Parisian restaurant to see if the terraces match.

They don't. PR looks to be 10 studs high while BH looks to be 7-8.