The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, 24nolf said:

Lego teased the modular last year about 48 hours before the announcement. So it's reasonable to expect a teaser in a couple weeks assuming an announcement roughly two weeks before Jan 1.

Last years modular teaser: https://www.picklebricks.com/post/the-lego-group-teases-2021-modular-building

I hope they do it for thr 15th anniversary.

51 minutes ago, Maple said:

It happened with me and the Brick Bank too after the LEGO S@H was a mess. However that was 2018, it's 2021 and nothing is the same.

I'm not paying a single cent over $200 for the set. It's why I didn't buy it in January, September or October. I just don't care for the set. It's just not to the level of the other ones. 

I think there is a good chance that you can. Be on the lookout.

1 hour ago, 24nolf said:

I agree 100% with that commentary. The Garage, Bookshop and Police Station all suffer on the interior. The lack of detail and cutting back the size of the interior(Bookshop & Police station) I assume is to keep costs down. The bookshop is a complete joke on the inside. The previous five modulars had great interiors that never felt like they cut corners on anything. 

Yes, but with Corner Garage I feel the outside needed another run in the design. I saw a mod here years ago, probably before I joined, and it made the shape more organic and lifelike.

The Book Store and Police Station still look good on the outside. I wish the book store was pale yellow and that the Police Station didn't have that weird tiny sand green section, but they still have life. and look good in a row.

Corner Garage looks like a City set garage then LEGO threw together something unfinished on told. It just isn't quiet there to me. 

Now don't get me wrong, it's still nice, I just have high expectation for a $200 LEGO set. They aren't met. 

2 hours ago, Maple said:

Yes, but with Corner Garage I feel the outside needed another run in the design. I saw a mod here years ago, probably before I joined, and it made the shape more organic and lifelike.

The Book Store and Police Station still look good on the outside. I wish the book store was pale yellow and that the Police Station didn't have that weird tiny sand green section, but they still have life. and look good in a row.

Corner Garage looks like a City set garage then LEGO threw together something unfinished on told. It just isn't quiet there to me. 

Now don't get me wrong, it's still nice, I just have high expectation for a $200 LEGO set. They aren't met. 

Oooo If you come across that mod I would love to see it! The exterior of the Garage is strikingly similar to several American downtown baseball stadiums including Oracle Park (San Francisco) and Coors Field (Denver). I think the garage does a great job of capturing that aesthetic but as you say it is an "inorganic" look. 

17 minutes ago, 24nolf said:

Oooo If you come across that mod I would love to see it! The exterior of the Garage is strikingly similar to several American downtown baseball stadiums including Oracle Park (San Francisco) and Coors Field (Denver). I think the garage does a great job of capturing that aesthetic but as you say it is an "inorganic" look. 

I find it. They filled in the gaps which is what REALLY annoys me and why I couldn't ever pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, 24nolf said:

I actually enjoyed the aesthetic of the Corner Garage (and the Downtown Diner) - it's a pretty refreshing change in direction over the pre-20th century look so common in the line.  I wish they could do a bona fide Art Deco modular.  I might get crucified for saying this - I don't think the earliest modulars aged too well.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I find it. They filled in the gaps which is what REALLY annoys me and why I couldn't ever pull the trigger.

Thanks for the link! I love how the ground floor was modified...it's better than my idea. I might play around with that "gap" idea"...I need to see it in person honestly. The building is still sealed with the "gaps" but I understand the objection. I picked up three copies because I want to play around with this Moc idea: 

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-84870/EliteLongbowman7/downtown-garage/#details

It's not perfect but I feel that a larger footprint can help the design "breath". 

41 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

I actually enjoyed the aesthetic of the Corner Garage (and the Downtown Diner) - it's a pretty refreshing change in direction over the pre-20th century look so common in the line.  I wish they could do a bona fide Art Deco modular.  I might get crucified for saying this - I don't think the earliest modulars aged too well.

I own all the modulars. The Downtown Diner is hands down the best. The Diner is Mike Psiaki, the greatest designer Lego has ever had(sorry Jamie) at the top of his game. I disagree however that it's a large departure from the previous modulars. It's better in its use of color, design language and building techniques but stylistically it fits right in with the rest of the line. The Diners uses negative space in the same way as the Parisian and Detectives office. 

A bona fide Art Deco modular would be fantastic! Have you seen the Lego Ideas Car wash? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8999c95a-f144-4dce-9e69-651ae3b5f9bb

You are correct. The early modulars are mostly pretty bad. Green Grocer, Pet shop and Cafe corner are all awful. The exterior of Town Hall holds up well and the Cinema isn't to bad... but the interiors for everything pre-Parisian are laughable. 

Edited by 24nolf

It’s cool to see that people like my Corner Garage mod. After “tidying it up” to better match my tastes, I can say that it’s one of my favourite modulars, along with FB, DO, and the Police Station. (I prefer the old-industrial-brick-style buildings) Super excited to see next years’!!

Edited by Ginger Ninja

I'm also in the 'early modulars aren't great' camp. They set up a fabulous series, but looking back now, they're not to the same standard.

I bought a second copy of the Diner with a view to creating the Car Wash. When I got into it, there's not many pieces that overlap, so it's not really a saving. Although now it's retired, it definitely wouldn't be cheaper!

51719227026_eeef65ab7d_k.jpg

51719888359_9e1e54da2d_k.jpg

I really hope we get a version of it through the Bricklink Designer Program in the future. It's such a cool set. Bricky_Brick's modulars are awesome and deserve to be built.

My issue with the dinner is the staircase. I feel it should have been on the back because it doesn't connect right to other modulars, feels disjointed. (If that makes sense.)

I have seen several huge Corner Garage MOCs and they look amazing.

7 hours ago, 24nolf said:

I own all the modulars. The Downtown Diner is hands down the best. The Diner is Mike Psiaki, the greatest designer Lego has ever had(sorry Jamie) at the top of his game. I disagree however that it's a large departure from the previous modulars. It's better in its use of color, design language and building techniques but stylistically it fits right in with the rest of the line. The Diners uses negative space in the same way as the Parisian and Detectives office. 

A bona fide Art Deco modular would be fantastic! Have you seen the Lego Ideas Car wash? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8999c95a-f144-4dce-9e69-651ae3b5f9bb

You are correct. The early modulars are mostly pretty bad. Green Grocer, Pet shop and Cafe corner are all awful. The exterior of Town Hall holds up well and the Cinema isn't to bad... but the interiors for everything pre-Parisian are laughable. 

I also own every modular. I actually have 2 or three of each, except the Diner and Cafe Corner. I did not enjoy the Diner build or the end result. The Green Grocer is still in my top 5, the first floor in that modular holds to the test of time. I don't want to stir a debate, but highlight that each and every modular is a good set, most are great sets. 

I hate waiting...

10 hours ago, 24nolf said:

I don't mean departure as in terms of the set techniques or space organization - more just the architectural style itself.  Have you seen the MOCs by @snaillad?  Not exactly modular, but he has done some of the best Art Deco I have seen.

The Pet Shop is "fine" as filler (though like you have said the interior is laughable, though as a set I think the Grand Emporium is worse in that regard - the interior is anything but grand).

I strongly dislike the Town Hall - the facade felt awfully flat - and lacking in ornamentation.  The scale also felt very "off" - too tall for its' width with awkward proportions.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

2 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

I also own every modular. I actually have 2 or three of each, except the Diner and Cafe Corner. I did not enjoy the Diner build or the end result. The Green Grocer is still in my top 5, the first floor in that modular holds to the test of time. I don't want to stir a debate, but highlight that each and every modular is a good set, most are great sets. 

I hate waiting...

I agree with you that the Green Grocer is easily one of the best. While I enjoy building the interior details as it adds to the build process, I can really do without most of it. This is where GG shines. The first floor that is all windows has a great interior, while the other floors has next to nothing. 

I also hate waiting. 

I would love to own all the Modulars from start to finish, but only started collecting from the cinema onwards, although they were not purchased in order.  My first was detectives offices.  I’ve seen and had a good look round the earlier ones and do think they were mostly seen as ‘dust collectors’ originally, but have grown beyond, whilst we still want both good interiors and exteriors whilst not seeing much of a raise in price.

I think the interiors have fluctuated quite a bit, and the Bookshop left a little to be desired, whilst I think the Diner, Garage, and Assembly square have pretty good interiors and exteriors to match.  Yes the garage was expensive, but to have added the pieces to make it without gaps, and add a more cohesive interior would have pushed it much higher.  

I can’t wait to see the next one, although whether it will be a 15th anniversary special, we’ll have to wait and see.  I hope it is in many ways, but if its a bit larger, and more expensive then my wallet will not thank TLG for it.

9 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I would love to own all the Modulars from start to finish, but only started collecting from the cinema onwards, although they were not purchased in order.  My first was detectives offices.  I’ve seen and had a good look round the earlier ones and do think they were mostly seen as ‘dust collectors’ originally, but have grown beyond, whilst we still want both good interiors and exteriors whilst not seeing much of a raise in price.

I think the interiors have fluctuated quite a bit, and the Bookshop left a little to be desired, whilst I think the Diner, Garage, and Assembly square have pretty good interiors and exteriors to match.  Yes the garage was expensive, but to have added the pieces to make it without gaps, and add a more cohesive interior would have pushed it much higher.  

I can’t wait to see the next one, although whether it will be a 15th anniversary special, we’ll have to wait and see.  I hope it is in many ways, but if its a bit larger, and more expensive then my wallet will not thank TLG for it.

Personally I thought the bookshop is fine given the form of the modular itself - and certainly compared favourably against the similarly organized Pet Shop.  It's also one of the cheapest recent modular.

I ended up getting the Corner Garage back in May and while it’s my least favorite of the Modulars that I own, I like it well enough. :shrug_oh_well:

Seeing all these other 2022 sets is making me antsy waiting for the new Modular and its promo!

I don't really mind which era or country a modular building is based on. What is most important for me is how useful and unique the parts are (e.g. certain bricks in new colours, sufficient 'neutral' colours which would be needed in MOC builds, printed part (no stickers at all thanks), decent minifigures and accessories.

58 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

I don't really mind which era or country a modular building is based on. What is most important for me is how useful and unique the parts are (e.g. certain bricks in new colours, sufficient 'neutral' colours which would be needed in MOC builds, printed part (no stickers at all thanks), decent minifigures and accessories.

I am thankful they moved away from stickers for modulars - Palace Cinema was definitely the most memorable offender (eternally grateful for 3rd party custom print replacements!)

I also have all the modulars; I love each of them, for different reasons (even MS on which I builded a tennis court on top of the little market). My favorite for the appeal in general is the Parisian restaurant. When I first saw the DD, I was a disappointed a little bit for mismatch of colors and the era that it represents that is quite different from the rest of bunch; I was nicely surprised while building it: the construction techniques were amazing, one of the best of the collection. Now I wouldn’t mind if some of the future Modulars were of other periods of time and style (Art Deco, Beaux Arts, 18-19th century) and reunite the buildings with the same affinities to create city quarters. Can’t wait for the next one…

Edited by Hippocampe

Having all but 2 modulars set up in a scene all together (except for MS and TH), when I look at the whole town the CG actually stands out as one of my favorite designs.  No one seems to agree with that kind of opinion, because up close it’s a little more flawed than others, I guess.  I don’t really see why everyone dislikes it so much.  AS and GG are my other favorites. 
I was super disappointed when DD came out, because it looks like a Friends set on steroids, but I’ve grown to accept it.  
PC, to me, is the biggest eye sore of the series. It was the first modular I built, because my brother just left it at my house. I never really liked it.

im excited to see what’s next tho.

2 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Rumors are it has 3033 pieces, $200 usd. I was hoping for something larger for the 15th.

I hate waiting...

3000 pieces would be the biggest $200 modular set.

But let's still complain about everything.

7 minutes ago, Hemlock Falls said:

I don’t really see why everyone dislikes it so much.  AS and GG are my other favorites. 

I've already explained why I dislike it. The gaps don't look like a natural building. The first floor looks like a City set. The gaps also have weird colors in them. I will gie LEGO credit for doing a different shape.