The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

18 minutes ago, crowe-k said:

We must be getting close to an official announcement about the next modular soon? 

Within the next 45 days!

27 minutes ago, crowe-k said:

We must be getting close to an official announcement about the next modular soon? 

Yup. In the next weeks. Its usually the very end of November or the beginning of december. I mean it leaked this time in detail, wich is unusual, but I don't think that will change anything about the reveal window.

4 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

If I recall correctly they hyped up the reveal last year in an interview on Black Friday?  Am I imaging that?

That sounds about right. It was revealed at the end of some online event was it not?

Yes, I had to sit through some other LEGO related discussions that were not particularly of interest to me.  I tried to find a recoding on you tube but no luck…. I wonder if they will repeat that approach.

I found the 2020 event where the Police Station was revealed

On 11/27/2020 at 6:51 AM, The_Grizzlysnake said:

Here is the link for the video it will be revealed in

I found the event where the 2020 Police Station was revealed.

I was thinking just recently about who might be the design lead for this model, and part of the fun guessing thread might be considering the design aesthetics and sensibilities of the designers who might be involved….

With all the talk of a triangular shaped main building it made me think of Mike Psiaki who is apparently the go-to triangle guy at Lego. 
Though the CG was by Florian which also had obtuse angles 

my guess is Mike and possibly either Jamie or Astrid or Nick Vas had input in the gallery as they seem keen on interior details. I don’t remember if any play features have been leaked so that’s my best guess so far. Astrid and Jamie are unlikely but possible, Astrid did say in a recent interview “you never know” in regards to returning to Modular’s, but she seems a bit too busy on other lines for this to be sensible, same for Jamie, Nick vas has been making all sorts of amazing things for monkey king and CNY.

-
I know these are after very collaborative works, but the lead designer usually has their own signature, who do YOU all think is the likely culprit for lead on this?

Edited by jonahtron

4 hours ago, jonahtron said:

I was thinking just recently about who might be the design lead for this model, and part of the fun guessing thread might be considering the design aesthetics and sensibilities of the designers who might be involved….

With all the talk of a triangular shaped main building it made me think of Mike Psiaki who is apparently the go-to triangle guy at Lego. 
Though the CG was by Florian which also had obtuse angles 

my guess is Mike and possibly either Jamie or Astrid or Nick Vas had input in the gallery as they seem keen on interior details. I don’t remember if any play features have been leaked so that’s my best guess so far. Astrid and Jamie are unlikely but possible, Astrid did say in a recent interview “you never know” in regards to returning to Modular’s, but she seems a bit too busy on other lines for this to be sensible, same for Jamie, Nick vas has been making all sorts of amazing things for monkey king and CNY.

-
I know these are after very collaborative works, but the lead designer usually has their own signature, who do YOU all think is the likely culprit for lead on this?

The design lead is Jamie since he is the leader of the theme that makes them :tongue:
I assume you are referring to the designer of the set :wink:

• Jamie unfortunately do not seem to have any time to do any designing of sets the last years, maybe he will do the 20 year anniversary set, but do not think 15 years is enough to draw him back
  • Astrid has moved on to other tasks long ago, so no way
  • Mike Psiaki has already done one several year ago and do seem very busy with other big sets so no
  • Florian Müller done one and moved on is my guess
  • Nick Vás has not done any other than a couple of small details on a couple 5+ years ago, he could have done one then, but not now I guess

Chris McVeigh did the last one so it is a small chance he will do it, but my guess is someone new probably someone that has not worked for Lego for very long. The last 4 designers have done 1 each and moved on, so I assume they will keep this trend up. It is probably a great honour among designers to do one and a new person can bring something new to the model, so it makes sense to swap designers every year (unless Jamie wants to do one again) :classic: 

One thing I'm expecting in the new modular is some interesting new technique for the facade.  One designer, though I can't remember who, in a previous modular building designer video said hat designers try to see who can do the most obscure and unusual facade design.  The variations over the years have certainly been huge.  My personal favourite was the NEXO KNIGHTS fists used in the left hand side of the Detective's Office (the bit that actually is a detective's office).

While not the typical modulars, I still like to see a return to some more 3-in-1 buildings, that could possibly have multiple floors etc that could be re-arranged.

Noodle Shop still sounds interesting for the next 3-in-1 town set for 2022 however, and could have some fun build techniques as 3-in-1 rarely uses stickers.

Also the 2022 Friends theme has a big set coming up with 3 buildings with 2-3 floors each (I mean LEGO friends, not the TV show).

Edited by TeriXeri

I wonder if this 15th Anniversary promo will launch at the same time as the Hotel on January 1st, especially since the Police Station sold out day one if I recall correctly. It would be kinda awkward for them to release a 15th Anniversary promo later in the month when the 15th Anniversary Modular is sold out.

If this is the case, then this will be the first time I get a Modular Building at launch. Unless, of course, the promo is just really bad. :laugh:

Previous Modular announcement dates:

• Nov 29, 2020 (Black Friday stream)
  • Dec 6, 2019 (at an Asian toy fair...I think)
  • Dec 3, 2018
  • Nov 30 2017 
Edited by 24nolf

On 11/6/2021 at 10:01 PM, cosmic said:

Woah I saw this online you’re right! Definitely may head to my local Kohls then because I may be able to get 4 Privet Drive free if i buy the assembly square 🤔🤔

So Kohl's has the AS for $9 off and $75 in Kohl's Cash so that's the best deal I have seen so far.

24 minutes ago, Maple said:

So Kohl's has the AS for $9 off and $75 in Kohl's Cash so that's the best deal I have seen so far.

Ooh, interesting. Is Kohl's cash any good? A quick read of the T&Cs suggests that the only snag is having to spend it in a specific time frame. Is that it, or anything else to look out for?

12 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Ooh, interesting. Is Kohl's cash any good? A quick read of the T&Cs suggests that the only snag is having to spend it in a specific time frame. Is that it, or anything else to look out for?

I've only used Kohl's Cash once, but it was really simple. Pretty sure you can use it on anything you want, including more LEGO. But yes you need to use it in the dates shown, which I think this time is November 26 to December 2nd. 

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I expect the reveal this next Friday

We should get a teaser in the next 36 hours if it's happening Friday. 

Is there another Black Friday Lego Show this year?  Or will the reveal be in another format?

5 minutes ago, MT480 said:

Is there another Black Friday Lego Show this year?  Or will the reveal be in another format?

I hope not. Last year's was a nightmare. 

15 hours ago, Maple said:

I hope not. Last year's was a nightmare. 

Agreed. Last year Lego tacked the modular reveal onto a hours long promo of other sets they wanted you to purchase. If they don't have any inventory to sell this year it is less likely Lego will have a similar stream. A celebration of 15 years of modulars in December might make the most sense. 

18 minutes ago, Maple said:

They didn't have any inventory last year either. :laugh:

My understanding is that last years problems were mostly just North America. This was a result of the factory in Mexico being shut down for a while. Europe and Asia didn't have the same issue. This year there seems to be widespread issues. 

Edit: Last years problem in NA was so bad that Lego shipped sets to the US from oversees. The sets were easy to spot because they all had large stickers on the front containing US regulatory info. 

Edited by 24nolf
Additional info