The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 9/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, RichardGoring said:

Not an official set, but a MOC by @Berthil that I was delighted to complete recently. Fits really nicely and well worth checking out if anyone wants a botanical garden.

51510336982_db9714e4d2_k.jpg

Free instructions on Rebrickable - https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-26998/BrickPolis/botanical-garden

I like how you worked the tree house into your display.  I am still trying to work mine in somewhere.

13 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

I like how you worked the tree house into your display.  I am still trying to work mine in somewhere.

Thanks. It's much easier when it's all just on a single shelf, rather than a proper city layout.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:04 PM, RichardGoring said:

Thanks. It's much easier when it's all just on a single shelf, rather than a proper city layout.

I have mine currently on top of a bookcase.  Planning on changing the foliage to match the seasons. Hope someday my Lego Store has white leaves in the bricks and pieces bins.  

23 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

I have mine currently on top of a bookcase.  Planning on changing the foliage to match the seasons. Hope someday my Lego Store has white leaves in the bricks and pieces bins.  

It is my hope one day to have all four seasons done. I want to bulk out the foliage though, so have a load of the green three leaf studs for summer, and a mix of dark green, lime, yellow, and orange ones for autumn. I just need the winter stuff, which will also involve reworking the base, so more of a pain. But in my mind it looks excellent!

5 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Provided your country is in the program, you can try LEGO “Bricks & Pieces” too for the specialized winter effects that you want - like winter foliage…

On 10/2/2021 at 1:50 AM, LegoDW said:

Botanical garden is no Lego : Goshfun fake asia crap...

13 minutes ago, georgeaxe2000 said:

It's a MOC from a Dutch Designer. That Asia company has licensed it, but you can get the free instructions and make it with reel LEGO bricks as the person from the photo did ;)

32 minutes ago, georgeaxe2000 said:

17 minutes ago, mark1991t said:

It's a MOC from a Dutch Designer. That Asia company has licensed it, but you can get the free instructions and make it with reel LEGO bricks as the person from the photo did ;)

Yes, that's right. I got the instructions from Berthil on Rebrickable and sourced all the parts from genuine LEGO. It's definitely a MOC that's not always as stable as a LEGO set, but it's certainly wonderful design and I love having it.

15 hours ago, mark1991t said:

Indeed, sorry, saw it 2 late 🥸

On 10/8/2021 at 3:11 PM, georgeaxe2000 said:

Yes, I was referring to the Tree House set.  

14 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

According to Promobricks, the modular will be a hotel with an art gallery

Art gallery sounds like an incredibly fun twist to add to a hotel modular! I'll be especially excited to see the modular reveal if this is the case (though let's be honest, it's the yearly modular—I'll be excited about it either way).

57 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The way they describe the building, it really seems like they have seen it already... They describe it quite detailed and also mention a 15 year modular anniversary gwp.

Edited by Kallego

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Sounds very odd. With it’s shape, how will it connect to other buildings...and the interior is gonna be cramped. 

And what could this GWP be? We haven’t seen a Modular tie in since the Flower Cart with DO. I wonder if it’ll tie in with the set like that one did, or just be an anniversary deal.

I seem to remember an Art Gallery was mentioned last year quite strongly before the Police Station was revealed - with Jamie Berard said to be the designer.

37 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

With it’s shape, how will it connect to other buildings...

What do you mean, what shape? 

Also, does anyone have any idea when the bookshop is going to retire? I'm wondering whether to get it or skip it and go straight to the police station. I've still also yet to get the haunted house (fairground) and right now money be getting tight enough to make me have to choose! 

Edited by Fuppylodders

7 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

What do you mean, what shape

It's supposed to be designed in a triangular structure similar to the flatiron building, not the usual 90° corner building...

23 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

What do you mean, what shape? 

Also, does anyone have any idea when the bookshop is going to retire? I'm wondering whether to get it or skip it and go straight to the police station. I've still also yet to get the haunted house (fairground) and right now money be getting tight enough to make me have to choose! 

Corner Garage is retiring at the end of year, so I would imagine you have until the end of next year for the Bookshop, probably longer though. And I just checked on Brickset, it says Dec 2023 as it’s retirement.

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Sounds very odd. With it’s shape, how will it connect to other buildings...and the interior is gonna be cramped. 

And what could this GWP be? We haven’t seen a Modular tie in since the Flower Cart with DO. I wonder if it’ll tie in with the set like that one did, or just be an anniversary deal.

From the description, it sounds like it will be two triangular buildings next to each other, which form a standard square-ish footprint on the baseplate, so it will connect with others. But the second triangle (the art gallery) is only one story, so you get the effect of the hotel triangle. It sounds very cool, but, as you say, also very cramped inside if it's only a single baseplate. Much roomier if it's 1.5 baseplates. Either way, I'm sure they've figured it all out. Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

It's supposed to be designed in a triangular structure similar to the flatiron building, not the usual 90° corner building...

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Corner Garage is retiring at the end of year, so I would imagine you have until the end of next year for the Bookshop, probably longer though. And I just checked on Brickset, it says Dec 2023 as it’s retirement.

Appreciated, thanks! 

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Ah? Not one-purpose building then? 

But art gallery?! YES!!! About darn time!!! 

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

From the description, it sounds like it will be two triangular buildings next to each other, which form a standard square-ish footprint on the baseplate, so it will connect with others. But the second triangle (the art gallery) is only one story, so you get the effect of the hotel triangle. It sounds very cool, but, as you say, also very cramped inside if it's only a single baseplate. Much roomier if it's 1.5 baseplates. Either way, I'm sure they've figured it all out. Looking forward to it.

Huh? Ok that sounds very odd for me to imagine…. How the hotel would look like if it has more than one floor and its shape would be triangular?

I guess we will have first-look pictures.

A triangular shape of the building sounds quite intriguing. I hope the various hotel rooms are not only furnished with beds/toilets but have a nice story to tell too. The interior of the Corner Garage suffered because of the complicated shape of the building in my opinion.

Do you think their sources are reliable? Last year there was some talk about a restaurant with special roof design, which later turned out to be false...

It is hard to imagine really being able to do a hotel justice even if the whole building was devoted to it.  Having an art gallery on the lowest level is definitely going to limit the size of any lobby a hotel might have.  This does not bode well for a waiting area, cafe, breakfast room, elevator, etc.  

If it is triangular, it is going to also be very interesting to see how it connects with the others.  I hope the Art Gallery does not have a theft story associated with it.  That jail cell in Police Precinct already has to deal with the donut thief, the illegal cookie ring, and the bank robber.  

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Huh? Ok that sounds very odd for me to imagine…. How the hotel would look like if it has more than one floor and its shape would be triangular?

I guess we will have first-look pictures.

Forgive the very crude sketch, but when I read the description on Promobricks, this is what I had in mind.

51590725770_60c30eaf71_b.jpg

It's just how I interpreted it, but it would be a way to get a triangular building, gallery and roof terrace as they described, onto a baseplate that connects with others.

Edited by RichardGoring