The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

12 minutes ago, Withacee said:

We put one layer of plates on the base plate before we build the set.
Wherever the plates are visible, we choose the required colour (colour of the base plate), for the other plates we just use random colours we have handy.
Once the plates are on, we leave them on the base plate (sticker on the back with the set number, since they are not interchangeable) whenever we disassemble the set.

A great idea that makes sense.  Since baseplates only come in a few colours it probably wasn’t hard to source the required plates.  If I get round to buying these new roads, I might use your idea.  Thanks for sharing. 

On 1/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, Brick387 said:

This photo from the official Police Station description on S@H, suggests that the Diner has indeed been retired, as it is not pictured alongside the other recent Modulars. So it also looks like Assembly Square may be sticking around for another year.

10278-Modular-PDP-202101-Hero-Standard-L

An official photo of the yet to be released Ninjago City Gardens next to two retired sets...FYI

71741-1_94214.jpg

Interesting about the missing pins. We all likely have tons of spares, so it isn't a deal breaker. But odd, that they wouldn't be included considering that was the "appeal" of the set to be able to connect to others.

I've never used the pins, so it doesn't worry me.

And our LUG does a MILS standard so everything gets built baseplate, brick, plate, tile. So I guess if they phase out the baseplates, we will have to stock up on them for future layouts. Granted, most of the official builds aren't built or included in our layout for our shows.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:37 PM, Blazej_Holen said:

And I thought that I have a missing parts (e.g. black pins) in my set. I did search for them through all bags and on the floor in case and never found them. Then I check inventory list at tje end of instructions and find out only 2 pins were included. Both used in different part of the build. Its strange... but as Mark Psiaki said a while before, one of the significant sign of the modular buildings is the 32x32 baseplate. If Lego decides to switch to the plate system rather than baseplate, I would expect 32 x 32 plate. Still I hope that they maintain baseplates. I consider them better. 

A 32 x 32 plate would be amazing.

Not to detail but my police station shipped but the car says back ordered. So does that mean I won’t get it then or are they going to hold 1 for me when they get stock in again cause my police station shipped?  I would think those who actually got shipped police stations would. I know the disclaimer on the site but it’s backordered not sold out. 

So Medieval Blacksmith is basically its a modular building from medieval times :) 2100 + pcs for 149 USD its a not bad deal. Back in a time modulars cost that price with similar amount of pieces, but definitely lacking such details. So for me its a one big YES and DAY 1 purchase. 

I will put it on 32x32 baseplate and create pavement to fit this among my existing modular street. And next to MB I probably put Spring lantern festival :) I am looking forvard to it... 

Designers video for upcoming Medieval Blacksmith (little of topic, but I think it belong here partially):

The original design for this was sick. The roof detail was awesome. The chimney amazing. The final product is still pretty cool but no where near as awesome as the winning piece. Is it me or does it look Kinda tiny also?

I've been reading this thread about what people would like to see in a future modular building so I thought I would share my own wishlist of possible shops or places that would be cool to see implemented into a modular building. Some are the same as others but I like the ideas.

Post Office
School
Museum
TV News Station (I think this would be so cool)
Theater (Like a stage for plays or music)
Journalist Office
Library (Although book shop is a similar idea)
Vinyl Store
Ice Cream Parlour

So let me know what you guys think? 

I would definitely pick these:

1. TV News station (+ perhaps journalists office)

2. Museum

3. School

4. Libeary / Vinil store

I think Museum could be likely for the 20th anniversary modular in 2027, at a similar scale to AS. They could include callbacks to classic Lego themes and sets. I don't think Museum would really work too well unless it was on the bigger baseplate.

Edited by Brick387

Since we’ve had Fire & Police, I think we’re due a hospital.  Maybe as part of the anniversary set?  I think a post office is well overdue too. That might only need a half a full 32x32 base, so perhaps another house like the bookshop.  I would love to see a couple of shops, with apartments over, maybe a hardware store and a sporting goods store. 

Whilst I would love to have a train station, and there are some great MOCs out there, it would simply need to be too big to work.

41 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

Whilst I would love to have a train station, and there are some great MOCs out there, it would simply need to be too big to work.

While it's not a train station, I saw a port authority on Lego Ideas. If they take one of the buses and some of the minifigs out, I think it could work. 

ygmu71iv2vx41.jpg?auto=webp&s=277e6a7a52

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Since we’ve had Fire & Police, I think we’re due a hospital.  Maybe as part of the anniversary set?  I think a post office is well overdue too. That might only need a half a full 32x32 base, so perhaps another house like the bookshop.  I would love to see a couple of shops, with apartments over, maybe a hardware store and a sporting goods store.

A hospital of some sort would be great too actually, that one slipped my mind. 

I just can't really see a hospital, I just don't think it fits in a row of shop fronts.  I think to do it properly, it needs a larger building because there are so many departments required in a hospital.  The same for a school.  I don't really recall the scenario where you would have a school in a row of shops.  I think that might remain in the friends lineup.

For me the obvious missing buildings are

• Post Office (surely Lego read forums and have seen the mention of a post office for the past 10 years)
  • Vintage Toy shop (although we had a toy department in the Grand Emporium 

I like the suggestions above of the record shop and the ice cream parlour as well.  They would work well.

Not sure about a hospital.   Would it be a large modern day hospital, or a small town 30's style one?  Maybe some sort of medical centre or GP surgery would fit in better.  And a corner style one would suit that kind of building.

I could see a small doctors surgery - maybe slightly bigger than the vets in the corner garage. So a waiting room, main doctors office and then perhaps another room for a nurse/X rays. As others have mentioned, a full hospital might be difficult.

I think rather than a school a nursery/kindergarten is more likely - to me that's more managable as it could be a single room and think it offers lots of chances for fun mini builds with play equipment etc.

A museum is still number 1 on my want list - would be so fun to include nods to both lego and modular history. If they did another anniversary set, it might be a candidate.

Edited by Kirton Bricks
Same post posted twice.

A cottage hospital would probably work, it doesn't need to be an all singing, all dancing teaching hospital. Reception, surgery, operating theatre, general ward, lift, incinerator, attic nurses' accommodation should produce some interesting sub-builds. Might need to be 48w.

Fitting a school into a terrace can be done, following the style of larger British schools of the Victorian/Edwardian era. You can include a Headmaster's study, science lab, music room and a couple of normal classrooms. Space should probably be found for an auditorium of some kind but I'd regard a dinner hall as optional as kids used to go home for lunch (does sound like a good excuse to depict a food fight though). I'm remembering scenes from Carry On Teacher and The Bash Street Kids - happy days! You'd want to set it back from the street to allow for a small yard in front, like this school in Portsmouth: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7876852,-1.0937047,3a,75y,358.51h,103.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQWIOwhfu8E6TMLM3q1jOLQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, paul_delahaye said:

I just can't really see a hospital, I just don't think it fits in a row of shop fronts.  I think to do it properly, it needs a larger building because there are so many departments required in a hospital.  The same for a school.  I don't really recall the scenario where you would have a school in a row of shops.  I think that might remain in the friends lineup.

For me the obvious missing buildings are

• Post Office (surely Lego read forums and have seen the mention of a post office for the past 10 years)
  • Vintage Toy shop (although we had a toy department in the Grand Emporium 

I like the suggestions above of the record shop and the ice cream parlour as well.  They would work well.

In Europe its quite normal to have school among the regular buildings with shops, pastries etc, e.g. within the street. We are talking about school for regular kids (like elementary one) not a university campus :) So I cant see any reason why modular school could be inappropriate or not "fitting in" among other modulars we have. Similar with hospital. It could be a rather clinic than a big "General Hospital" with only few departments, and an ambulance. Post office is not that important as well as toy shop. But I would definitely like to have them eventually as well. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:51 AM, Blazej_Holen said:

I would definitely pick these:

1. TV News station (+ perhaps journalists office)

2. Museum

3. School

4. Libeary / Vinil store

Agreed, these are all great choices. I feel like a well designed large school similar in size to Assembly Square could have much potential to tell great stories. 

On 1/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, Brick387 said:

I think Museum could be likely for the 20th anniversary modular in 2027, at a similar scale to AS. They could include callbacks to classic Lego themes and sets. I don't think Museum would really work too well unless it was on the bigger baseplate.

I like the idea of a museum on a 48x32 baseplate spread over 3 floors with each floor dedicated to a different Lego theme with miniature models done in a similar way to those created in the AFOL's flat in AS. 

On 1/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, Brick387 said:

Great idea - I would love to see this!!!!!  But there's 15th anniversary next year to come first........could it take that position.

Is Assembly Square retiring? I heard everyone saying it was at the end of last year but it seems to be back in stock on lego.com and other retailers?