The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Yep.

I get why some people want one, but as a set, they are just not feasible. The closest I could see TLG getting towards one is by doing a regular corner building that has a more detailed than usual back with another sidewalk.

On 12/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I’d like to see them attempt an inverted corner finally. 

Not sure why people want an inverted corner set; the front facade would be very small and you would have a lot of bland exposed sides and back.

Edited by gotoAndLego

On 12/25/2020 at 3:59 AM, Blazej_Holen said:

What makes you think that next years modular will be “anniversary one”? I think that we can expect anniversary modular in 5 yrs ( 20 yrs of anniversary).

We have it in AS already.

What’s inverted?

13 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Not sure why people want an inverted corner set; the front facade would be very small and you would have a lot of bland exposed sides and back.

Because it would be something different. 

10 minutes ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

What’s inverted?

The dark orange/nougat building with snad green one makes inverted corner.

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

TheBrickFan posted on his site that the Assembly Square is retiring next. :sad:

I saw a similar 'last chance to buy' sign on it at my local LEGO store. I was surprised. Making me think about whether I should get a second for MOC purposes.

Another modular retiring so soon after the Diner.  Do you think it is possible that another modular may be released in later in 2021?  They have increased the number of vehicles to 2 releases a year.  Or would 2 modular releases a year be too much?

6 minutes ago, MartyMcFly said:

Another modular retiring so soon after the Diner.  Do you think it is possible that another modular may be released in later in 2021?  They have increased the number of vehicles to 2 releases a year.  Or would 2 modular releases a year be too much?

I thought maybe a rerelease could be an option. On the other hand two years ago bb and do retired at the same time and as, pr and dd remained. Now cg, bs and police station would remain. 

Edit: maybe I'm wrong and cg came that year.

Edited by Kallego

On 12/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

Sure but so is a boat. Neither would make a good modular building set.

2 hours ago, MartyMcFly said:

Unlikely. Assembly Square is likely being retired to make room for another larger anniversary modular next year. Releasing two "main series" modulars in a year would probably be inadvisable considering that they'd end up cannibalizing each other's sales.

23 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I saw a similar 'last chance to buy' sign on it at my local LEGO store. I was surprised. Making me think about whether I should get a second for MOC purposes.

I still haven't gotten it yet. Thinking that the DD would be the one to go first I got that one and was waiting to see if I could get the AS.

Out of interest when do people think the freebie vintage car will be stopped?  Planning to pick up CG with that promo next month but it’s out of stock in the UK on shop.lego.com.  Plus I want to make the gap between Christmas and buying more LEGO as big as possible while still benefiting from the promo.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:59 AM, Blazej_Holen said:

What makes you think that next years modular will be “anniversary one”? I think that we can expect anniversary modular in 5 yrs ( 20 yrs of anniversary).

We have it in AS already.

Town Hall was an 5 yet anniversary set as well, albeit not advertised like Assembly Square was. 

On 12/26/2020 at 6:25 PM, gotoAndLego said:

Because it would differentiate the streets for those of us who don’t MOC. Buildings when lined up as they should can only go two ways. 

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Out of interest when do people think the freebie vintage car will be stopped?

Do you mean it runs out before the GWP period is over?!
That depends on when it is released and how high the price limit is. It it it dropped a couple of weeks or later after the modular with a high price It probably will last a long time. Just look at the GWP live now; the limit is very high, a lot of the sets are sold out and not many new ones yet. However the most likely is that it is dropped with the modular and than I think the chance is good/bad that it will be sold out fast, just as the batmobile.

I really hope I can combine it with the HP book of monsters if I am forced to buy the set for retail price to get the GWP. I guess we find out tomorrow, apparently there is a secret set on the shop calendar poster so that why we will not see it before then :shrug_oh_well:

16 hours ago, Kallego said:

I thought maybe a rerelease could be an option. On the other hand two years ago bb and do retired at the same time and as, pr and dd remained. Now cg, bs and police station would remain. 

Edit: maybe I'm wrong and cg came that year.

When I started with the modulars back in 2013, it was the 'rule' that there were three buildings on the market. Each was available for about 3 years, and when a new one came out, the oldest of the three retired shortly before or after.

They now had several sets that stuck around way longer (most notable the Pet Shop, which was available for 5 years or even longer), but when we postulate a regular run for a modular to be about three years, the Diner was due to retire this year, and Assembly Square is overdue. They propably kept it around longer either because it was the anniversary set, or maybe the stock just sold more slowly as it was more expensive.

Parisian Restaurant hung around for a while. I think that whether they decide to do additional production runs is purely based on sales. Town Hall didn't last very long.

Just now, Kalahari134 said:

Parisian Restaurant hung around for a while. I think that whether they decide to do additional production runs is purely based on sales. Town Hall didn't last very long.

Parisian Restaurant went after the year when DO and BB were stopped at the same time.  I got caught out and missed BB.  TH was released the year after PS and discontinued the year before.  When I first came to Creator Expert TH had stopped but PS was still there.

If you want a certain modular, get it within three years. Anything else seems based on commercial success or inventory. Fire Brigade was the first set to stick around much longer than it "should have" and get additional production runs, if I recall correctly.

On 12/26/2020 at 4:52 AM, ReplicaOfLife said:

I get why some people want one, but as a set, they are just not feasible. The closest I could see TLG getting towards one is by doing a regular corner building that has a more detailed than usual back with another sidewalk.

I do agree that a simple inverted corner wouldn't be very popular (not impossible, but not aesthetically pleasing or appealing). But I do agree that a set that includes an inverted corner could be done quite easily. If the set included two buildings on separate baseplates, with one being on a 32x32 baseplate and the other on a 32x16 one, and with at least one being a corner (the smaller 16x32 one), they could be arranged so the larger building sits adjacent to the long side of the smaller one, with its facade facing the smaller building. The exposed side of the 32x32 building would be perpendicular to the 32x16 buildings long side and this is where the other modulars could attach, creating the inverted corner. Otherwise, they could be arranged in a simple line, for those who do not want the inverted corner, with extra plates included to facilitate that.

This would still be a niche set because it would need to be very large, but it would create an inverted corner option yet still work just as good for those who display modular buildings in a line, which is probably a majority.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:24 AM, AndreMW said:

AS is the only way to do an inverted corner without suffering all the drawbacks coming with a normal inverted corner. Even in real life such inverted corner buildings are quite rare.

Corner Garage is also sort of an inverted corner in terms of the shape of the building, even though it sits on a regular corner. And one possible way you could compensate for the lack of frontage on an inverted corner building would be to have two more distinct buildings on either side of the corner, with a diagonal alleyway in between — sort of like the new Ninjago City Gardens set that was just unveiled. Potentially, the alleyway could even be turned into a sort of a "living street"/pedestrian thoroughfare, with entrances to shops on either side.

But even besides these concerns, I can think of a few other reasons why an inverted corner might be less desirable than the other formats they've released so far. For instance, while some builders place their Modular Buildings on a central table that allows for more elaborate sorts of layouts, other builders place them on narrower shelves, bookcases, or display cases against a wall. And in any display like that which don't allow room for two full rows of buildings, an inverted corner layout would likely end up with at least one of the "blank" walls that's meant to connect to an adjacent building facing outwards, away from the display area's back wall.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:54 AM, Stuartn said:

I do agree that a simple inverted corner wouldn't be very popular (not impossible, but not aesthetically pleasing or appealing). But I do agree that a set that includes an inverted corner could be done quite easily. If the set included two buildings on separate baseplates, with one being on a 32x32 baseplate and the other on a 32x16 one, and with at least one being a corner (the smaller 16x32 one), they could be arranged so the larger building sits adjacent to the long side of the smaller one, with its facade facing the smaller building. The exposed side of the 32x32 building would be perpendicular to the 32x16 buildings long side and this is where the other modulars could attach, creating the inverted corner. Otherwise, they could be arranged in a simple line, for those who do not want the inverted corner, with extra plates included to facilitate that. 

This would still be a niche set because it would need to be very large, but it would create an inverted corner option yet still work just as good for those who display modular buildings in a line, which is probably a majority.

This is another interesting possibility in its own right. It's neat to see how even somewhat divisive ideas like this can bring out people's creative side. :classic:

I've just finished building the Downtown Diner 10260, and it's great fun. I noticed that the 1x2 tile grilles used are flat silver, not metallic silver, as used in other, older modulars, like Parisian Restaurant 10243. Looks like from Downtown Diner onwards they use flat silver. Is there a reason for the change? Is it just a cost saving?

23 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I've just finished building the Downtown Diner 10260, and it's great fun. I noticed that the 1x2 tile grilles used are flat silver, not metallic silver, as used in other, older modulars, like Parisian Restaurant 10243. Looks like from Downtown Diner onwards they use flat silver. Is there a reason for the change? Is it just a cost saving?

Yes. And Bricklink's color names are especially misleading with the pearl/metallic colors. The piece in the older modulars is 15561 Silver Ink $0.21 on B&P (the one that looks like silver spraypaint) while the one used in the later buildings is 2412 Silver Metallic $0.06 B&P (the one that looks gloss gunmetal nail polish).

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Yes. And Bricklink's color names are especially misleading with the pearl/metallic colors. The piece in the older modulars is 15561 Silver Ink $0.21 on B&P (the one that looks like silver spraypaint) while the one used in the later buildings is 2412 Silver Metallic $0.06 B&P (the one that looks gloss gunmetal nail polish).

Just seems an odd thing to change for $0.50 difference in a $170-$200 set. Especially when they're often so consistent. On the other hand, it gives you an extra 5-10 pieces to play with for more detail.