The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

When will they finally update the retiring soon list?

They have. The Dinner is retiring, what else do you need to know?

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

@Maple I already knew about the DD. I was wondering what the next one would be...:hmpf:

Either the garage or the Square. But right now LEGO is still making both so don't worry about it.

I noticed that the Police Station has been referred to as the 16th modular a few times such as on Brickset, however I thought it was the 14th with the 15th anniversary being next year. 

What are your thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, BrickBuilderX said:

I noticed that the Police Station has been referred to as the 16th modular a few times such as on Brickset, however I thought it was the 14th with the 15th anniversary being next year. 

What are your thoughts on this?

You are right, but there were 2 modulars released in 2007 which explains it.

1 hour ago, AndreMW said:

Assembly Square is probably the first to Go, but still quite available.

With the 15th anniversary being next year, it wouldn't be surprising if Assembly Square went away to make room for another larger "anniversary" set like that or the Town Hall before it. No telling what subject they might choose for something like that, but it'd most likely be something grand and impressive, with easter eggs tying it back to earlier buildings in the series. Maybe a museum? Or a block with a Lego store?

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

With the 15th anniversary being next year, it wouldn't be surprising if Assembly Square went away to make room for another larger "anniversary" set like that or the Town Hall before it.

This is a very interesting thought. Because I missed Town Hall I didn't know it was an anniversary kind of set. Makes me super excited for what they come up with.

I think it'd be interesting if they did a larger corner corner building for the anniversary next year - so on a 32x32 and 16x32 baseplate like Assembly Square - so one side of the corner would be longer. It would allow a wide variety of different facades and be something different to what we've had before. Would work well for a museum perhaps!

It could be smaller at the back/the actual corner cut into a bit more to keep the brick count down. Think it could be quite cool :)

If they're trying to do something special to celebrate I'd rather have something really deluxe on a single baseplate. 

As people's mods show most buildings look way better with an extra floor, so give us something a bit taller + deeper with a gorgeous interior 

22 hours ago, Kirton Bricks said:

I think it'd be interesting if they did a larger corner corner building for the anniversary next year - so on a 32x32 and 16x32 baseplate like Assembly Square - so one side of the corner would be longer. It would allow a wide variety of different facades and be something different to what we've had before. Would work well for a museum perhaps!

It could be smaller at the back/the actual corner cut into a bit more to keep the brick count down. Think it could be quite cool :)

I really like this idea, with the ability to have the 16x32 building to be separate and able to be placed either side would be even better.  Could even up the assembly square offset.  

I figure we’re going to get a wide sooner or later (because of the odd sized Assembly Square) I think that a school or museum would be the perfect fit because they tend to be rather large in real life.

10 hours ago, jus1973 said:

I really like this idea, with the ability to have the 16x32 building to be separate and able to be placed either side would be even better.  Could even up the assembly square offset.  

The new chinese new year set 80107 spring lantern festival can be used this way...

14 hours ago, Kallego said:

The new chinese new year set 80107 spring lantern festival can be used this way...

Yeah.  I saw that.  Its a great idea.  If i can afford both that and the Modular Police Station, then it’ll be hitting my town.  

6 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I’d like to see them attempt an inverted corner finally. 

Hell yes. It’s about time they do this & I’d love to see it. 

Alternatively, if they go 32x48 again, I always thought it would be kinda neat to get a single building with a row of different businesses. They could even make three 16x32’s so you could rearrange the businesses how you see fit. Then have the upper floors be apartments. 

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

They could even make three 16x32’s so you could rearrange the businesses how you see fit.

It eats up quite some parts though to make them stand-alone buildings.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:01 PM, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

Done right, it could be nice.  Two big challenges though: (1) The "front" could not really be viewed perpendicular to any side.  On its own, it would not display well, because you would have two plain sides in view no matter how you looked at it.  The two "front" sides with the most detailing would be much smaller than the front build on the others.  Then, it would be necessary to have two plain walls to connect to other structures.  The back (which would form the majority of the perimeter) would likely not have much detail either.  The vast majority of the walls would be rather plain.  (2) A lot of people display their modulars in a row.  This building would necessitate having the connecting buildings be at a 90 degree angle from one another.  Probably not a lot of people are set up to display buildings like that.  

This is not to say that an inverted corner is impossible.  It would really be a challenge to make one that appeals to everyone and not just someone who can accommodate that particular space arrangement and/or has other buildings on hand to hide the bland sides.  The best way I know how a good inverted corner could happen would be something like an enclosed square.  A large example would be Plaza Mayor in Madrid, Spain.  Problem is, you would need to buy a minimum of four to create a closed in square, with the back sides being the most visible.  

2 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Done right, it could be nice.  Two big challenges though: (1) The "front" could not really be viewed perpendicular to any side.  On its own, it would not display well, because you would have two plain sides in view no matter how you looked at it.  The two "front" sides with the most detailing would be much smaller than the front build on the others.  Then, it would be necessary to have two plain walls to connect to other structures.  The back (which would form the majority of the perimeter) would likely not have much detail either.  The vast majority of the walls would be rather plain.  (2) A lot of people display their modulars in a row.  This building would necessitate having the connecting buildings be at a 90 degree angle from one another.  Probably not a lot of people are set up to display buildings like that.  

This is not to say that an inverted corner is impossible.  It would really be a challenge to make one that appeals to everyone and not just someone who can accommodate that particular space arrangement and/or has other buildings on hand to hide the bland sides.  The best way I know how a good inverted corner could happen would be something like an enclosed square.  A large example would be Plaza Mayor in Madrid, Spain.  Problem is, you would need to buy a minimum of four to create a closed in square, with the back sides being the most visible.  

Good points. The lack of a “face side” for the inverted corner would be enough for the casual buyer to skip it also. I suppose we’ll never see one officially released. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:40 AM, BrickFit26 said:

if the next modular is as big as the AS, then it'll have a good amlunt pf different shops.

What makes you think that next years modular will be “anniversary one”? I think that we can expect anniversary modular in 5 yrs ( 20 yrs of anniversary).

On 12/24/2020 at 12:01 AM, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

We have it in AS already.

AS is the only way to do an inverted corner without suffering all the drawbacks coming with a normal inverted corner. Even in real life such inverted corner buildings are quite rare.