The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, BrickFit26 said:

Meanwhile, how does everyone feel with having a prison so near other modulars such as restaurants, other paces of business, and small homes?

Just holding cells for cookie smugglers, money launderers and doughnut thieves before they’re transferred elsewhere. It’s okay to me.

The use of the walkie talkie and the informs make it feel more 80s than 30s or 50s like the previous modulars. I wonder if they're going to do more 80s stuff (would bode well for an arcade)? Having said that, I was curious so looked it up, and walkie talkies were invented in the 30s and made handheld in the 40s, so could be no change in era at all. Probably depends if a computer is included.

32 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

I just can’t get past the police precinct/station theme. Seems particularly tone deaf from LEGO given events earlier this year.

I think the lead time for Modulars - design, testing, production, marketing and release - would be years. LEGO’s only other option would have been no Modular in 2021.

A few changes to the facade, gutting / replacing the interior and losing the police officers could relatively easily MOD it into a court house, museum, library, etc.

Just now, Agent 86 said:

I think the lead time for Modulars - design, testing, production, marketing and release - would be years. LEGO’s only other option would have been no Modular in 2021.

A few changes to the facade, gutting / replacing the interior and losing the police officers could relatively easily MOD it into a court house, museum, library, etc.

yeah i remember reading an interview with Jaime where he said the modular line is thought years in advance so there is no way they would be able to guess what would be happenning this year

6 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

I get your first point. But your second is exactly the solution LEGO could and should have taken.

We’ve seen it before albeit with a slight delay on a much smaller set (Las Vegas re. Mandalay Bay).

3 minutes ago, just_one said:

yeah i remember reading an interview with Jaime where he said the modular line is thought years in advance so there is no way they would be able to guess what would be happenning this year

I’m not convinced they only have the next modular in development. They could have switched to another possibly or if time was too tight over the past 6 months, then adapt the facade and details a little bit to something like a court house or library as suggested in this thread. Anything but a police station. I mean really? City provides that already every other year.

Edited by Lucarex

A modular police station alongside a modular train station is probably the most requested modular but still people can bitch about...unbelievable , lego is giving us one of the most requested items and yet some people still bitch about it

1 hour ago, Bainter-ban said:

Funny thing, now that you mention it. I just bought an apartment in the middle of Oslo which is quite close to a prison (100 meters approx.). I actually didn't think about it at all. As the prison is in the middle of the city, you have restaurants, small homes etc. quite close to it. The buildings in the prison are however very old and preserved, and it's probably only a matter of time before the prison is moved out of the city (it will free up a lot of space for parks, businesses, etc.). 

Although there are many downsides to having a prison in a city (which I will not go into here), in principle, I like the idea of having a prison in the middle of a city. It means that prisoners are not excluded from the society, which I think is important for the recovery aspect of the prison inmates. 

Interesting perspective

1 hour ago, DimiNi said:

Guys its a police station, not a prison :D people stay in police station prisons only over one or two nights, right? So its a bit different :) 

and you're definitely right.

27 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

Just holding cells for cookie smugglers, money launderers and doughnut thieves before they’re transferred elsewhere. It’s okay to me.

lol true.

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

As for this modular, as much as it’s intriguing and clearly has some interesting elements, I just can’t get past the police precinct/station theme. Seems particularly tone deaf from LEGO given events earlier this year.

I understand your reservations. However, not every Lego customer is based in the US. People from other countries may have other experiences with their police - some may even like them :)

4 minutes ago, badehaubendealer said:

I understand your reservations. However, not every Lego customer is based in the US. People from other countries may have other experiences with their police - some may even like them :)

I’m not in the US. And the George Floyd case and consequences resonated across the globe. 

Then again, it’s a fantastically topical set if you consider this...:iamded_lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55089146

Ew, another big tan building? Not a fan. 
It’s neat, but like the Corner Garage, I’m not excited for this one. I still need to get the Downtown Diner and Book Shop. Maybe I’ll look back at this in a couple of years.

The vast majority of Americans appreciate the police and what they do.  There shouldn’t be any problem whatsoever with this set in the USA.  One or 2 rogue policemen out of tens of thousands isn’t a reason for Lego to not make a police station.  We abhor the denial of due process as guaranteed in our constitution.  This Lego set in no way should be associated with any political situation in the USA.  I’m grateful for the police.  Even the one who pulled me over doing 90 in a 65 zone in my Audi S5.

Peace and happy holidays to all.

I’m back, long time no see... :grin:

I’m not in love with what I’m able to see for now, definitely liked the Bookshop more but it certainly looks quite interesting! I really like that they included two narrower buildings in different colors and the use of the splat gears as bushes is quite clever indeed! It looks like a nice parts pack as well, looking forward to seeing some photos in higher resolution... :laugh:

Edited by LegoModularFan

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

I get your first point. But your second is exactly the solution LEGO could and should have taken.

We’ve seen it before albeit with a slight delay on a much smaller set (Las Vegas re. Mandalay Bay).

I’m not convinced they only have the next modular in development. They could have switched to another possibly or if time was too tight over the past 6 months, then adapt the facade and details a little bit to something like a court house or library as suggested in this thread. Anything but a police station. I mean really? City provides that already every other year.

This is the modular line, those are city sets. H U G E difference there...

Imo I think this modular will look better standing alone than in an arrangement with other modulars. The two buildings on the sides are so narrow, that if you connect different modulars to a street they will look squished, whereas as a standalone it looks like it's a cut-out. I may have preferred the station to be on one side off center and one building on the other side. But the buildings themselves look very nice

58 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

It’s neat, but like the Corner Garage, I’m not excited for this one. I still need to get the Downtown Diner and Book Shop. Maybe I’ll look back at this in a couple of years.

Downtown Diner, will probably be retiring really soon. So hurry.

1 minute ago, rzmpf said:

Imo I think this modular will look better standing alone than in an arrangement with other modulars. The two buildings on the sides are so narrow, that if you connect different modulars to a street they will look squished, whereas as a standalone it looks like it's a cut-out. I may have preferred the station to be on one side off center and one building on the other side. But the buildings themselves look very nice

I think it will sit next to assembly square pretty well.  Especially with AS on the left and police on the right.  The small building on the left would somewhat resemble a pop up or dedicated donut store of the bakery in AS (If the left is a donut store as rumored)

45 minutes ago, Options said:

The vast majority of Americans appreciate the police and what they do.  There shouldn’t be any problem whatsoever with this set in the USA.  One or 2 rogue policemen out of tens of thousands isn’t a reason for Lego to not make a police station.  We abhor the denial of due process as guaranteed in our constitution.  This Lego set in no way should be associated with any political situation in the USA.  I’m grateful for the police.  Even the one who pulled me over doing 90 in a 65 zone in my Audi S5.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. 

11 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Downtown Diner, will probably be retiring really soon. So hurry.

yeah , dont sleep on Downtown Diner!!!

I was spetical at first but boy was i missing! its amazing , super detailed and its really beautiful

I think that the more Modulars I have, the least excited I get, as every new one shares some similaries with the old ones. That’s why I liked DD so much, as it is so different. But I like the police station enough to buy one (especially with the free car) 

I’m curious about the naming. It won’t be Police Station, as it overlaps with PS (Pet Shop). Maybe Police Office (PO) 

1 hour ago, Options said:

Recent polls actually show a record-low trust in the police in the US. Now at 48 %, below the majority. Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/us/gallup-poll-police.html

In Norway however, it's at 79 %. Quite a difference. Source: https://www.politiforum.no/benedicte-bjornland-innbyggerundersokelse-nyhet/innbyggerundersokelsen-tilliten-til-politiet-oker-igjen/156910

1 hour ago, Options said:

Great post. If anybody has quarrels with themes due to controversy then they should have the same attitudes towards Pirates (violence/pillaging), Knights (crusades/religion), Ninjas (racial stereotyping)  etc. You could almost make the case for every theme and dig deep to find negative things. At the end of the day, people can do whatever they do, and buy whatever they want, but to refuse to buy a childrens toy based on something that happened in the news is pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

This is like the 3rd tan building out of 17 modulars...

2 hours ago, just_one said:

A modular police station alongside a modular train station is probably the most requested modular but still people can bitch about...unbelievable , lego is giving us one of the most requested items and yet some people still bitch about it

Well said brother :)

I’m just happy we got a new modular.  Editing post because a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.

Edited by Options