The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 hours ago, just_one said:

3rd Floor : 
Heliport (but please LEGO dont waste pieces on a helicopter)

Danged if they do, danged if they don't.  If you leave out the helicopter, you get a bunch of complaints that it was not included and now the model looks incomplete.  If it is included, then you get a bunch of complaints that parts have to be wasted on it and there are already thousands of other police helicopters out there.  

Usually, only the larger stations have a helicopter pad.  You really do not need one for the local precinct.  All I ask is that there is enough space to put a Bat signal.  

2 hours ago, Flippi01 said:

There was briefly on Twitter what looked a copyrighted image of the new modular - grey / blue and black classical style build with a guild badge on the front some sort of radio mast on the roof .... gone now ! Might be a hoax 

If this is true, the building's color scheme confirm it to be a police station. I like how the architecture is at least classical and unique though. Do you remember what country's police force was being referenced, or was the image too low in quality to tell?

34 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Danged if they do, danged if they don't.  If you leave out the helicopter, you get a bunch of complaints that it was not included and now the model looks incomplete.  If it is included, then you get a bunch of complaints that parts have to be wasted on it and there are already thousands of other police helicopters out there.  

That reminds me of this Brickset article, https://brickset.com/article/44244/why-the-negativity

Also, has there been any word on the piece count for the next Modular?

Edited by Brick387

44 minutes ago, Brick387 said:

Also, has there been any word on the piece count for the next Modular?

About 3000 pieces.

Edited by JintaiZ

3000 pieces... for a building that takes up pretty much the whole baseplate... for $199.99 USD... Much better deal than the Garage.

3 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

Has it been confirmed from reliable sources that it has 3000 pieces?

I only read about 3000 pieces as a rough guess by stonewars.de. they don't claim it actually is this amount.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

I only read about 3000 pieces as a rough guess by stonewars.de. they don't claim it actually is this amount.

Ok, thanks for clarifying! :laugh:

3 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Usually, only the larger stations have a helicopter pad.  You really do not need one for the local precinct.  All I ask is that there is enough space to put a Bat signal.  

Ooh, yes! Mine is currently sitting on top of the Detectives Office. My contingent of GCPD officers are going to take over the station. 

22 hours ago, Strakk said:

How do you definite a modular building then? Is there an official definition from LEGO (I am not being sarcastic)?

It is a building which can be separated in different modules.

Even its creator used that definition: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677chttps://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677c

This comment really illustrates my point — Old Fishing Store is a "modular building" in a literal sense (i.e. it can be split into separate modules), but the same can be said for numerous other sets in themes like LEGO Creator, City, Friends, Disney, and Harry Potter which have no relation to the Modular Buildings series which began with Cafe Corner.

22 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Right - proving that the connection points are a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition. Maybe we can exclude those two by just saying white lampposts are a necessary condition as well? :tongue:

For my part, I mostly tend to say "Modular Buildings series" when I'm referring to "Cafe Corner style" buildings, whereas I just use the adjective "modular" (all lowercase) to describe other sets or MOCs that can split apart in some manner. After all, LEGO has gotten a lot better at being open with fans about what sets are or aren't a part of the Modular Buildings series, so trying to come up with our own set of criteria which might conflict with theirs will generally just create needless confusion.

22 hours ago, Strakk said:

I think the question was more asking if LEGO should exclude automatically entries based on city-centre non-licensed buildings that cover a baseplate or more. These are basically the topic of the Modular Buildings LEGO line.

I doubt LEGO Ideas would ever implement a rule that broad, particularly when they've been totally willing to approve projects of equal or greater size in the past. Plus, "city-centre" is itself an extremely ambiguous term — there are all sorts of things that could be part of a "city centre" which would fall well outside of anything the Modular Buildings series has covered in the past: for instance, a public park, a subway station, an archaeological dig site, a construction site, a skyscraper, a bridge, or a manufacturing plant.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:54 PM, 24nolf said:

Theory: Corner Modular. Police station takes up most the first two floors. Donut shop off to the side on the first floor. Third floor is a newsroom. Newsroom includes radio or TV station. Helipad with radio antenna on the roof.

Helicopter is police or news crew. 

If there is a TV station, we need them to include the full cast of the hit Lego sitcom Where are my Pants :head_back:

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

This comment really illustrates my point — Old Fishing Store is a "modular building" in a literal sense (i.e. it can be split into separate modules), but the same can be said for numerous other sets in themes like LEGO Creator, City, Friends, Disney, and Harry Potter which have no relation to the Modular Buildings series which began with Cafe Corner.

For my part, I mostly tend to say "Modular Buildings series" when I'm referring to "Cafe Corner style" buildings, whereas I just use the adjective "modular" (all lowercase) to describe other sets or MOCs that can split apart in some manner. After all, LEGO has gotten a lot better at being open with fans about what sets are or aren't a part of the Modular Buildings series, so trying to come up with our own set of criteria which might conflict with theirs will generally just create needless confusion.

I doubt LEGO Ideas would ever implement a rule that broad, particularly when they've been totally willing to approve projects of equal or greater size in the past. Plus, "city-centre" is itself an extremely ambiguous term — there are all sorts of things that could be part of a "city centre" which would fall well outside of anything the Modular Buildings series has covered in the past: for instance, a public park, a subway station, an archaeological dig site, a construction site, a skyscraper, a bridge, or a manufacturing plant.

My definition for modulars is that they are able to connect with each other. The original product was actually able to connect to modulars, but that changed in the final product...

Ooooh... doesn't seem half bad. I'm really glad they went with a brighter colour scheme than a drab mix of grey and blue. I also love that it's more than one building - and that there's a billboard on the side of the main structure! Yup, this seems like a day one buy for me.

I think I believe it. Looks pretty good, not in line with the grey, black and blue colour scheme one member mentioned, or the Italian style that another person described  so I wonder if they were just making things up or had bad sources 

6 minutes ago, Brettski said:

Not a great pic but it does seem to be legit.

2021 Modular.jpg

Where did you get that photo from? It looks to be online sales, but that would be too early.

Edited by Legoanonymous

Just now, Legoanonymous said:

Where did you get that photo from? It looks to be online retail, but that would be too early.

It was just sent to me by another fan of LEGO. I didn't delve much further into its origin. Just compared it to LEGO's silhouette and it looks like it's the real deal.

11 minutes ago, Brettski said:

Not a great pic but it does seem to be legit.

Absolutely love it!!! Kinda what I imagined by the description. Police with italian museum vibes. Must get for me. Love that Lego got the old modular feeling back as they already did with the bookshop.:pir-love: 

6 minutes ago, KevinTheSpud said:

I think I believe it. Looks pretty good, not in line with the grey, black and blue colour scheme one member mentioned, or the Italian style that another person described  so I wonder if they were just making things up or had bad sources 

Granted I’m not sure how they got the idea of being a gallery, their description wasn’t far off. It was dominated by one building, the police dept, with a minor side building. 

I’m very excited. I love the buildings layout. And that the police department is only that....a police department. Having the other buildings makes for a better street view in my opinion. 

Looks like a coffee bar on one side...and is that really a donut shop?! That looks like it could be a pink ring above the awning. Oh man, I hope so! 

I do wish the steps were more pronounced though. They could’ve don’t cells down there. 

Yeah, that's surely the real deal, highly unlikely a fan could cook up a modular of this level just from looking at a black silhouette with this much fidelity. I don't really like how it looks though, but that's coming from someone who's favorite modular is DD. :shrug_oh_well: I hope better images to come would sell me on it. Kinda cool how they're using Medium Lavender and Dark Green(?) which aren't color used for walls in Modular building sets before.

It looks like the green building on the right side (excluding the ground floor) is more of the police station. The green on the right (ground floor) looks like a newspaper stand.

Just now, Brettski said:

It was just sent to me by another fan of LEGO. I didn't delve much further into its origin. Just compared it to LEGO's silhouette and it looks like it's the real deal.

Okay, thank you. I like the colors and architecture that give it a Gothic feel. If the image is real though, who knows what American audiences will think with the controversies. 

Thanks for sharing Brettski.

I like it, but the buildings on either side are extremely narrow. I’m going to have to see better pics to determine how ... challenging using such narrow builds will be with adult sized hands. I would have preferred a single purpose, impressive / grand police station.