The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

3 minutes ago, 24nolf said:

Theory: Corner Modular. Police station takes up most the first two floors. Donut shop off to the side on the first floor. Third floor is a newsroom. Newsroom includes radio or TV station. Helipad with radio antenna on the roof.

Helicopter is police or news crew. 

We get a corner modular every 3 years, so I'm assuming we'll get one in 2022.

31 minutes ago, Strakk said:

As Aanchir said, it is hard to write a strict rule against the city-center modulars.

However, one of my favorite Lego ideas sets (Old Fishing Store) is a modular, so I would leave things as they are.

The Old Fishing Store isn’t a modular.

Looks interesting. Police Station has been requested heavily for ages, and, if done well, could be the next 'Fre Brigade', so a set that the adults enjoy building, but that kids will also enjoy to play with.

I'm curious what's under the blanket, and if it's really that big. From the looks of it, it could be the second highest after Town Hall, but it seems to be a bit bulkier toward its top that that one.

It's clearly NOT a corner - the bit you can see jutting out to the right is just the back half of the baseplate.

The thing protruding to the left could be a car, which would fit perfectly, since a Police Station without one would be weird.

2 hours ago, ExeSandbox said:

My two cents is that LEGO Ideas still accepts Modular Buildings because they aren't tied to any license and also to leave the door open in case some mad scientist builder creates an insanely next level modular building that LEGO could not have thought of in a hundred years. Because it's on Ideas, LEGO would immediately own the rights to it.

Yep, that's the thing most people easily forget - with putting anything on Lego Ideas, Lego has all the rights to it, no matter if it makes the 10.000 and no matter if they make it a set or not. As designer, you cannot reuse that design commercially afterwards.

31 minutes ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

The thing protruding to the left could be a car, which would fit perfectly, since a Police Station without one would be weird.

If it's with a car, I hope Mike Psiaki has something to do with that aspect, because the cars he did in DD and CG were pretty cool IMO.

Edited by Brick387

19 hours ago, NewTown said:

If it's a police station, is it safe to assume that there will be a jail cell for inmates?  I've always loved those.

5 hours ago, Maple said:

I don't believe it will be a police station, not one damn bit.

The rumors that get spread around here are amazing.

I didn't think so either mainly because I remember last year when we were all speculating what the 2020 modular would be, a police station modular always came up and on those posts last year someone posted a comment from a designer answering why they've never made kne. His reply was that the AFOL community has done some terrific police station modulars that if that they didn't think they could do better or make it seem like the copies a design. Something around those lines, I don't know how to look that far back for posts.

Anyways, @theremin has a lot of explaining to do!

5 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Not really. This is Eurobricks where I can say that the next modular is a hot dog stand and there will be 14 pages of replies within an hour. So pretty much if someone here says one thing I will go with the exact opposite. :blush:

23 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Or he'll just not post with that ID any more, and set up another one for next time.

2 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

The Old Fishing Store isn’t a modular.

How do you definite a modular building then? Is there an official definition from LEGO (I am not being sarcastic)?

It is a building which can be separated in different modules.

Even its creator used that definition: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677chttps://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677c

Edited by Strakk

1 minute ago, Strakk said:

How do you definite a modular building then? Is there an official definition from LEGO (I am not being sarcastic)?

It is a building which can be separated in different modules.

Even its creator used that definition: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677chttps://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677c

Another crucial element is that each building itself is a module of a larger neighborhood/block - they all have Technic pin connections at the same points on each baseplate so that they can be linked together in any order. Those connections are considered a necessary condition.

3 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Another crucial element is that each building itself is a module of a larger neighborhood/block - they all have Technic pin connections at the same points on each baseplate so that they can be linked together in any order. Those connections are considered a necessary condition.

This. But then Ninjago City had the same Technic connections, but isn’t a “Modular”. Jamie has said before which sets are “Offical Modulars”.

Just now, tafkatb said:

Ok, I can see that if connected to the LEGO line. I believe that outside the LEGO world it can be used to indicate also a building which is the combination of modules itself.

Just now, Boettner Builds said:

This. But then Ninjago City had the same Technic connections, but isn’t a “Modular”. Jamie has said before which sets are “Offical Modulars”.

Ok, you know way more than me about these details. Still then, to go back to my original comment, I guess that if you remove the connections any submitted entry from Lego Ideas can be made into a non-modular set and sold.

I think the question was more asking if LEGO should exclude automatically entries based on city-centre non-licensed buildings that cover a baseplate or more. These are basically the topic of the Modular Buildings LEGO line.

14 minutes ago, Boettner Builds said:

Right - proving that the connection points are a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition. Maybe we can exclude those two by just saying white lampposts are a necessary condition as well? :tongue:

3 hours ago, Brick387 said:

If it's with a car, I hope Mike Psiaki has something to do with that aspect, because the cars he did in DD and CG were pretty cool IMO.

Definitely. I really enjoyed building his tow truck in the CG, including that fun play feature(gasp!*oh2*). 

While people will be pushing & shoving their way into stores, I’ll be marveling at a YouTube video. I still can’t believe they’re revealing it this early. Are we being pranked? 

10 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Definitely. I really enjoyed building his tow truck in the CG, including that fun play feature(gasp!*oh2*). 

While people will be pushing & shoving their way into stores, I’ll be marveling at a YouTube video. I still can’t believe they’re revealing it this early. Are we being pranked? 

Well.. CG or AD were revealed even earlier in November if I am not wrong.. ?

2 minutes ago, DimiNi said:

Well.. CG or AD were revealed even earlier in November if I am not wrong.. ?

CG was revealed at the start of December , not sure about AD

Well, I'm not sure if "AD" is a typo for "AS" or "DD," but Assembly Square was revealed in mid-October and Downtown Diner late November (post-Thanksgiving weekend). The past couple years we've gotten used to very last-minute reveals, but it feels like not that long ago that there would be people panicking like "omg it's already the second week of November and no news about the new modular, what if there isn't going to be one?!"

14 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Well, I'm not sure if "AD" is a typo for "AS" or "DD," but Assembly Square was revealed in mid-October and Downtown Diner late November (post-Thanksgiving weekend). The past couple years we've gotten used to very last-minute reveals, but it feels like not that long ago that there would be people panicking like "omg it's already the second week of November and no news about the new modular, what if there isn't going to be one?!"

Absolutely: we had the time to wonder « Am I going to buy this one ? » because the theme or the building itself wasn’t entirely at our taste, and the product had the time to grow on us and we were the first in line to get it on January 1st (not in Canada though...)

Just now, Hippocampe said:

Absolutely: we had the time to wonder « Am I going to buy this one ? » because the theme or the building itself wasn’t entirely at our taste, and the product had the time to grow on us and we were the first in line to get it on January 1st (not in Canada though...)

I meant Downtime Diner :)  Im somehow used to say American Diner

3 hours ago, Maple said:

Not really. This is Eurobricks where I can say that the next modular is a hot dog stand and there will be 14 pages of replies within an hour. So pretty much if someone here says one thing I will go with the exact opposite. :blush:

Woah, a three storey modular building hot dog stand? That sounds great! ?

I still want a post office, or else the Lego Dwellers will only get mail in december when the winter village post office is built :)

The dark silhouette of the building seems rather bulky, very squarish, almost gothic in appearance. I wish a classical architecture, almost no matter what’s in it !

Edited by Hippocampe

The only thing I want less than a police station as an official modular is for the set to include a helicopter... lol, just sayin'...

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Or he'll just not post with that ID any more, and set up another one for next time.

4 hours ago, Maple said:

@theremin said he got the into from a reliable source and has all those details. Bur you're right I guess we'll find out on black Friday. :hmpf:

27 minutes ago, NewTown said:

The only thing I want less than a police station as an official modular is for the set to include a helicopter... lol, just sayin'...

But every city needs a police station!