The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

The roof looks to be the flat American style like the brick bank or Detectives  office which doesn’t really match up with the how an interesting roof was described for the Italian building leak. Maybe I interpreted it wrong though 

14 minutes ago, Brick387 said:

That video seems to hint towards Chris McVeigh being the designer.

Chris McVeigh has a significant amount of experience designing arcade machines. If it's not a Police station I would bet on it being an arcade.

You can actually download instructions for some of Chris's older arcades and arcades rooms on his website.

I assume the black cloth is laid directly on the rumored modular in the video? If so the building seems to be one floor taller than the corner garage, don't you think?

4 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

I assume the black cloth is laid directly on the rumored modular in the video? If so the building seems to be one floor taller than the corner garage, don't you think?

It looks tall but also there seems to be some kind of mast/chimney on the top which perhaps makes it taller than it actually is.

They’re teasing us, how exciting!!!

looking at the shrouded picture again, it looking like it might be set back enough on the baseplate to have the tall stairs like a typical Bronx style police station.

Edited by Boettner Builds
Added words.

10 minutes ago, Kirton Bricks said:

It looks tall but also there seems to be some kind of mast/chimney on the top which perhaps makes it taller than it actually is.

If it is Police station, what about a heliport on the roof...*huh* But I´m just thinking.. I can ´t really imagine it.. but it´s an idea.

41 minutes ago, Brick387 said:

I would be very glad if he turned out to be the designer. I loved his design on the WW-set, and his previous work before joining LEGO is very inspiring. 

1 hour ago, MAB said:

It would look great next to the Fire Brigade if it is real.

Well....didn't it say that a Doughnut shop was included? Would be logical to include some type of police precinct next to it. Otherwise, it would be awesome if it were a port authority. 

You should've seen the one on Lego Ideas. That thing was dope. 

y3foc8co4vx41.jpg

Edited by Brandon Pea

3 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

It will never be made anyway. Its a modular. Which directly competes against TLG 's existing modular line. Which makes me wonder why they allow items in contravention to the rules, to be accepted to take support up to 10k votes :shrug_confused:

But yes, that is a very decent looking police modular, and love the little donut shop next to it! 

My two cents is that LEGO Ideas still accepts Modular Buildings because they aren't tied to any license and also to leave the door open in case some mad scientist builder creates an insanely next level modular building that LEGO could not have thought of in a hundred years. Because it's on Ideas, LEGO would immediately own the rights to it. They don't have much to lose to keep rejecting Modular buildings either (except for discouraging people to submit Modular Building Product Ideas, which would then decrease the chance of an insane next level modular building from popping up. :sceptic:)

1 hour ago, jlsm511 said:

First preview?

Update: Post on Facebook has a set covered with a black sheet next to the last 3 modular's so pretty clear the unveiling is for the 2021 modular. https://fb.watch/1_bD5eoV0y/

Untitled.thumb.jpg.82d2af28f0e51c6c9b41ac3ff11d0997.jpg

Source: 

I don't know. Looks to me like a multi-building complex on a corner with some pitched roofs on the side? :imperialguard_commander1: Looks to be mighty tall though.

Hi guys, my first post here - came back from the dark ages and I am hyped for my first active Modular Reveal. Was reading this forum in the last weeks.

My comment to the recent leaks:

If it's the guy from the video who was about to reveal the set under the blanket, I would bet for sure that there will be an old-school computer involved. He created the Elven Clubhouse and in you can see in his Instagram stories that he was working on computer mocs quite here and there Chris McVeigh (@powerpig) • Instagram photos and videos

A computer would fit a police station - but can be used anywhere else too ;) 

Also, it seems to be quite a tall building! Taller than the Corner Garage. Also the 16x16 plate in the preview seems to be filled to all sides bottom to top!

2 minutes ago, paupadros said:

I don't know. Looks to me like a multi-building complex on a corner with some pitched roofs on the side? :imperialguard_commander1: Looks to be mighty tall though.

Jeah looks like different buildings and more classic than for example the Diner. Looks really promising! Hope they use the 3000 parts well!

1 hour ago, Brick387 said:

I think it just means he'll be the one revealing it...

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

I think it just means he'll be the one revealing it...

Why would they have someone reveal it that wasn't involved in designing it?

Just now, Friscorays said:

Why would they have someone reveal it that wasn't involved in designing it?

Then my best guess is that it's a collaboration set between Chris McVeigh and Jamie Berard... but I don't know for sure :shrug_confused:

2 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Then my best guess is that it's a collaboration set between Chris McVeigh and Jamie Berard... but I don't know for sure :shrug_confused:

I am still expecting the computers from Chris :pir-wub: 

one of my annual events around this time : waiting TLG to reveal next year's modular set. There has been a rumour that 2021 modular designer is Jamie, which is good for me and police station...

hmmmm. whatever it would be police station or something else, please keep the tone of this year's modular at least....not like CG that the design was...quite in between...wish 2021 modular would be a classical post office!:blush:

1 hour ago, Vlado_sk said:

If it is Police station, what about a heliport on the roof...*huh* But I´m just thinking.. I can ´t really imagine it.. but it´s an idea.

While I'm sure that'd be a bit controversial given how common LEGO helicopters are (and how divisive vehicles in Modular Building sets tend to be by default), I'd be very interested to see how a helicopter and heliport would look at an AFOL-targeted building level. It'd certainly be a departure from the level of detail we tend to see in LEGO City sets, particularly if they stick with the usual mid-20th-century inspired design language.

That said, the silhouette in the teaser image makes it look more like that upper portion is a part of the building itself, presumably with a radio antenna on top.

1 hour ago, ExeSandbox said:

My two cents is that LEGO Ideas still accepts Modular Buildings because they aren't tied to any license and also to leave the door open in case some mad scientist builder creates an insanely next level modular building that LEGO could not have thought of in a hundred years. Because it's on Ideas, LEGO would immediately own the rights to it. They don't have much to lose to keep rejecting Modular buildings either (except for discouraging people to submit Modular Building Product Ideas, which would then decrease the chance of an insane next level modular building from popping up. :sceptic:)

Besides this, I suspect that LEGO would be more open to a "modular-building-esque" proposal if it were clearly meant to be its own thing and not a part of the regular series. After all, they've clearly been OK with designing sets like Diagon Alley, Ninjago City, and even some of next year's Chinese festival sets to connect together in pretty much the same manner, even though they belong to totally different themes. Presumably, their main concern when deciding what there is or isn't room for among their products is whether it caters to different interests/a different audience than the regular modular buildings.

As such, if a project is aimed squarely at fans of the modular buildings, then the review team has legitimate reason to worry that it will just end up cannibalizing sales from the other modular buildings (and vice-versa). But if it represents an iconic brand (like a classic movie, TV show, or book) and/or belongs to a distinct genre (e.g. fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, cyberpunk) that resonates with people for very different reasons than the usual modular buildings, then that's something the review board would be more likely to consider on its own merits.

Plus, if a project does come along that has a strong business case on its own merits, there's nothing stopping the designers from altering whether or not it adheres to modular building standards. Maybe somebody might propose a licensed building that's really popular, but the designers decide that it would match the source material better if it didn't have to adhere to those particular design standards. Conversely, somebody might propose some sort of building that DOESN'T include modular building style connection points, but the designers realize they could add them without detracting from the project's appeal as a stand-alone model.

Suffice to say, the most likely reason LEGO doesn't make a rule against Modular Building proposals is that it'd be hard to write a rule like that to cover ONLY the sort of buildings that will be likely to cannibalize sales of the other modular buildings, in terms that that both moderators and users can understand. After all, I can't tell you how many times I've seen disagreements among AFOLs about what does or doesn't qualify as a "modular building" in the first place!

As Aanchir said, it is hard to write a strict rule against the city-center modulars.

However, one of my favorite Lego ideas sets (Old Fishing Store) is a modular, so I would leave things as they are.

Hyped for the modular reveal. From the silhouette, it seems we could have quite a large set, possibly with only a single building.

Edited by Strakk

Theory: Corner Modular. Police station takes up most the first two floors. Donut shop off to the side on the first floor. Third floor is a newsroom. Newsroom includes radio or TV station. Helipad with radio antenna on the roof.

Helicopter is police or news crew. 

Edited by 24nolf