The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, theremin said:

I didn't mean to cause trouble. Just wanted to share this information that I got from a private source and that I'm pretty confident about. What I know so far:

- straight three-story modular, on a regular 32x32 baseplate;
- really stylish exterior, with an Italian feeling;
- it is not a single building, yet it can't be divided;
- classical architecture and typical townhouse style are both represented and mixed;
- unprecedented building technique for the roof;
- color scheme is not as "flamboyant" as some latest modulars;
- main theme is art-related, in a "funny" way;
- a secondary business is linked to food;
- primary subject is very prevailing, as well as the bank in the Brick Bank;
- a small vehicle completes the scene;
- six minifigures included, one of them represents a disabled person;
- designer is Jamie Berard, coming back after the Assembly Square;
- no black box distinctive of the adult-oriented series (to be confirmed);
- it will be available in January at a price of 199,99$;
- GWP car included at launch (winner of this contest).

So a disabled person... A hospital ? A medical clinic ? Or maybe a building with an antique elevator with artsy wrought iron that we are awaiting since TH ? Anyway, we should have all the answers by December 6 or so, like last year ... I’m sooo groopy, I’ll buy it anyway

Edited by Hippocampe

3 hours ago, theremin said:

I didn't mean to cause trouble. Just wanted to share this information that I got from a private source and that I'm pretty confident about. What I know so far:

- classical architecture and typical townhouse style are both represented and mixed;

I'm generally quite a cynical person, and, if you frequent the SW forums, you'd be wary too, of some new account posting with such certainty of something no one else has mentioned who would normally come up with the info first. 

From what you've said, it sounds reasonable to believe you... But given you have no (known) history, I'll take it with a pinch of salt for now, and hold back my hopes for the time being. 

However, your description is certainly enticing for sure! 

11 hours ago, NewTown said:

That GWP car is worth buying the set for even if the main build is only okay. Love that car!

Same feeling. 

Edited by BrickFit26

So ... art gallery / art supply store (?), cafe / restaurant / small eatery AND a townhouse?

Or townhouse style architecture / facade? 

IF this is true:

Perhaps the art is not related to painting (been there , done that with PR).  When I think of Italy, I think more of sculptures.  Think: Roman fountains, Florence and its famous classical sculptures.  The sculptures themselves could be used to tell the story, because we all know in a Jamie Berard building, there has to be a story.  They could be done in a way which is meant to be amusing, as was intended in money laundering or cookie prohibition.  Although I think having the sculptures themselves be the storyline is less intrusive than designing an entire cookie kitchen or laundromat just to fit the joke.  It could actually work well this time.  

It could be either a sculpture gallery or a studio.  The secondary food source could possibly be a gelato stand.  

As for the small vehicle, my hope would be that it is very small.  I get the need for one in FB and CG, but the others-not so much.  Probably not a scooter, since that already showed up in PR.  My guess would be an "electric" vehicle to promote going green.  

$200 for three stories seems to fit with the way the modular line is going.  

8 hours ago, theremin said:

Any animals included?

6 hours ago, NewTown said:

That GWP car is worth buying the set for even if the main build is only okay. Love that car!

I think some people will end up disappointed with that car, it has a lot of chrome parts that Lego can not include and that would probably change the look of the car a lot :shrug_oh_well:

9 hours ago, theremin said:

We’re just a bit hesitant(and can get moody:tongue:) when stuff like this is thrown around, especially by a new person. It’s always a hectic time right about now as we’re hungry for information regarding this set.

If this is all true, which does sound plausible- I’d expect that if someone has a primary source in this area  that images would be leaking imminently.

The only thing that seems unlikely is that the box wouldn’t be black. TLG clearly aren’t done with this marketing experiment yet.

if we’re looking at an ITALIAN/ renaissance Style build I’d expect to see a bit of wear and tear on the building and maybe a bit more texture than we’ve had in the past which might be fun.

Vehicle surely can’t be larger than a scooter, though I’d be happy with a mini figure scale Fiat or a mini where the doors can be ‘blown off’, it’s not likely an IP build would make it into this line.

2021 is a bit late but it’s KIND OF an anniversary of this City  set. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some reference to it, maybe in the sticker sheet.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6376-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

Whilst i'm increasingly thinking @theremin is proving good information and this will be the modular we're getting...I'd love if he was actually Jamie Berard in disguise spreading false rumours!

Edited by Kirton Bricks
Spelling

This MOC was front paged about two weeks ago. Is this the modular being described ...?

50589102122_be651c0ebd_c.jpg

There is a mixture of classical and townhouse architecture. There is a new (for modulars) roof technique.

Edited by MAB

On 11/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, Brick387 said:

I am not at all keen on the black boxes either. With the Modulars, seeing the background environment and foliage Lego has placed around it really helps me decide where to put it in my city. For other sets it's not really even the black boxes that put me off, but the 18+ age rating! Sesame Street 18+?! 12+ at the absolute highest. Modulars should only be marked 14+ I'd say. I think Lego should honestly forget the age ratings on sets. Keep the black boxes if you want to, Lego. But saying it's designed for only people 18 and up is a bit ridiculous.

They are not designed only for 18+ people. The age rating is a recommendation not a limit. LEGO (and the designers) have said on a number of occasions already that they believe the 18+ branding has been important for increasing the number of sales to first time adult buyers. See this Mike Psiaki interview, for example: https://brickset.com/article/54887/interview-with-mike-psiaki-designer-of-10274-ecto-1

I think what @theremin is saying is quite possibly true, only because none of it is too outrageous of a claim, its all quite reasonable what he's saying, also could the vehicle be a moped or scooter, like we've gotten in previous modulars? And could it be designed in a similar fashion to detectives office?

I'm also kind of hoping that the food portion of the modular is going to be an ice cream or gelato shop.

7 hours ago, jonahtron said:

If this is all true, which does sound plausible- I’d expect that if someone has a primary source in this area  that images would be leaking imminently.

The only thing that seems unlikely is that the box wouldn’t be black. TLG clearly aren’t done with this marketing experiment yet.

if we’re looking at an ITALIAN/ renaissance Style build I’d expect to see a bit of wear and tear on the building and maybe a bit more texture than we’ve had in the past which might be fun.

Vehicle surely can’t be larger than a scooter, though I’d be happy with a mini figure scale Fiat or a mini where the doors can be ‘blown off’, it’s not likely an IP build would make it into this line.

2021 is a bit late but it’s KIND OF an anniversary of this City  set. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some reference to it, maybe in the sticker sheet.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6376-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

It could be a very piccolo Isetta car, with three wheels and only one door in front !

Edited by Hippocampe

I'm looking forward to the return of Jamie Berard. The Bookshop and Corner Garage lacked in good exterior and interior details (esp. BS - flat facade, almost no books), so I hope we will see the return of love for detail (and the fun stories) — a worthy successor to the Parisian Restaurant

Edited by ddavid

The interior of the bookshop is a bit odd.   Floor 1 has books for sale, floor 2 is a reading room, and floor 3 has a bed and a chameleon in a terrarium.   Who sleeps in that bed?  They don't have any running water or a toilet.   Why not just have more merchandise for sale on the top floor?   The nice thing about Lego is that you can mod it if you like, but a random bed in a store is a very odd design choice.

To each their own, but I've never really gotten the 'realistic living condition' thing. I'd much rather have a terrarium or a cute armchair than a toilet. I mean, if it was real they'd obviously need one, but they'd also need a shower, a fridge and a closet. It's Lego, there is quite a lot dispension of disbelief involved. 

1 hour ago, CopperTablet said:

The interior of the bookshop is a bit odd.   Floor 1 has books for sale, floor 2 is a reading room, and floor 3 has a bed and a chameleon in a terrarium.   Who sleeps in that bed?  They don't have any running water or a toilet.   Why not just have more merchandise for sale on the top floor?   The nice thing about Lego is that you can mod it if you like, but a random bed in a store is a very odd design choice.

Wait till you see the Gingerbread House ! 

16 minutes ago, FrkW said:

To each their own, but I've never really gotten the 'realistic living condition' thing. I'd much rather have a terrarium or a cute armchair than a toilet. I mean, if it was real they'd obviously need one, but they'd also need a shower, a fridge and a closet. It's Lego, there is quite a lot dispension of disbelief involved. 

This. The upper two floors of the Bookshop seem to me intended to be an apartment, probably the shop owner's. And while there's obviously features it lacks I feel like it has enough of them to get the point across. Personally I don't really mind the limited number of shelves in the Bookshop. A "realistic" number of shelves would likely feel fairly repetitive and I much prefer the variety of features in the final set.

To me many of the recent modulars have felt stellar so the seemingly widespread sentiment that all the designers besides Jamie are rubbish rubs me the wrong way. If anything I'd rather see more and more designers take a crack at designing modular buildings, rather than see the theme go back to a single designer and risk stagnating. But maybe that's just me...

29 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

This. The upper two floors of the Bookshop seem to me intended to be an apartment, probably the shop owner's. And while there's obviously features it lacks I feel like it has enough of them to get the point across. Personally I don't really mind the limited number of shelves in the Bookshop. A "realistic" number of shelves would likely feel fairly repetitive and I much prefer the variety of features in the final set.

To me many of the recent modulars have felt stellar so the seemingly widespread sentiment that all the designers besides Jamie are rubbish rubs me the wrong way. If anything I'd rather see more and more designers take a crack at designing modular buildings, rather than see the theme go back to a single designer and risk stagnating. But maybe that's just me...

+1 from me, so that's two at least. But also the joy of the modulars is that so many different people can enjoy then. Those who like the exteriors, interiors, building techniques/experience, play features, standalone display, city building, or modifying. I'm just looking forward to the next one.

1 hour ago, CopperTablet said:

There’s plenty of live/work buildings, with the living quarters above the business. The Bookshop is that, nothing random about it. As to who lives there, the shop owner makes the most sense.

53 minutes ago, FrkW said:

Exactly. There isn’t one LEGO set that has all the appropriate living amenities. It’s always been a pick & choose which rooms get put in a set. I don’t understand that sort of criticism. 

19 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

There’s plenty of live/work buildings, with the living quarters above the business. The Bookshop is that, nothing random about it. As to who lives there, the shop owner makes the most sense.

Exactly. There isn’t one LEGO set that has all the appropriate living amenities. It’s always been a pick & choose which rooms get put in a set. I don’t understand that sort of criticism. 

What about Gingerbred house? :) it has everything. Toilet, bathrub, bedroom, kitchen, living room... :)

Edited by Blazej_Holen

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

You're not alone. I love all the different styles from the different designers. Some might appear 'not as good as......' but you know what? I think it's just different. And I like that. I like that the diner is 'outside the box' in style compared to all the others. I like the corner garage is completely different and not as architecturally exquisite on the exterior and has a vet on the upper floor. It still looks really good. 

For things I create, I like to have all the utilities of life. But with regards to a set? Come on, I'm realistic in the fact that minifig size scaling makes things difficult, things take up more room. I'd rather they spared the toilet/kitchen etc that would be in all builds and take away from the character of the theme of the build. 

If it's a garage, throw all the pieces into being a garage. If its a bank, throw all the pieces into it being a bank (and laundromat). If its a diner, same.... I'll modify toilets and a bathroom/kitchen into it as an additional floor if I really want to. Extremely simple fix. 

7 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

What about Gingerbred house? :) it has everything. Toilet, bathrub, bedroom, kitchen, living room... :)

It also has nothing else. It's a house. There's nothing else for it to have other than those things! :laugh: