The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Well that's the former seat of the Bank of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and built in a Neo-Renaissance style that was still popular around the 1900s and this particular style was popular throughout World. You could put this building in any city in (Central) Europe and it would fit in. So you are right it's not really a typical Italian style.

Italian Renaissance or Venitian/Italian Gothic would be a more representative style for Italy. Maybe something like the Doge's Palace, other Palazzos or the famous cafes at the Piazza San Marco.

It would not surprise me if this is the modular.  The hints that this could be true:

(1) There is a disproportionate amount of food available in the modular line, and this would only continue the trend.

(2) $200 and about the size of the Brick Bank?  Yep, sounds about right given the trends.  

(3) multifunctional building(s) --check

I would imagine a small museum or art gallery with a cafe inside.  

If this is actually what we are getting, I hope the roof has a dome.  It is the only thing I can think of that might justify the price, certainly could be an Italian feature, and it would certainly warrant a new building technique for the roof.  

7 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

(2) $200 and about the size of the Brick Bank?  Yep, sounds about right given the trends.  

It's all rumors so far. But he didn't say it's about the size of the brick bsnk. He said the ratio of the main to the side build is a about the same as in brick bank. It actually could be double the size of brick bank with the given information...of course it is not. But let's hope, if the rumors are true, it's a bit bigger than brick bank.

We could always buy two sets, in order to build one large modular.... It worked fine to use even three sets for a large BrickBank! TLG, ofcourse, wants us to buy multiples....

you guys wanted a museum.... so here it is! :P

probably some paintings and statues. and a small italian restaurant

12 hours ago, rzmpf said:

Well that's the former seat of the Bank of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and built in a Neo-Renaissance style that was still popular around the 1900s and this particular style was popular throughout World. You could put this building in any city in (Central) Europe and it would fit in. So you are right it's not really a typical Italian style.

Italian Renaissance or Venitian/Italian Gothic would be a more representative style for Italy. Maybe something like the Doge's Palace, other Palazzos or the famous cafes at the Piazza San Marco.

Ok, but none of those would really fit together with other the modulars. As you said, the most famous palaces/building from Italy are not really from modern times.

In case they want to do a shopping center, there is the "Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II" in Milan which could be an inspiration. However, that would probably require a larger set. 

If they want to create a station (do it LEGO, I have been waiting for years!), then maybe Milan central station may provide some ideas.

I am starting to sound like a tourist guide so I will stop. xD

But in the end what I care to see is modular where the main shop/purpose is detailed enough, unlike the Bookshop.

Would be a nice nod if one of the bits of artwork was the same as the artist is painting in the Parisian Restauraunt!

If this rumour is true and Jamie has designed it...do you think it's a reflection that the last few modulars perhaps haven't been as well recieved? Personally I like them all and it seems most people do, but some have been more critical seemingly of DD, CG and the Bookshop compared to most Jamie has designed.

44 minutes ago, Kirton Bricks said:

If this rumour is true and Jamie has designed it...do you think it's a reflection that the last few modulars perhaps haven't been as well recieved?

If anything, I'm wondering if the Architecture line (which Jamie had been managing the past few years) has finally breathed its last wheezing gasp, freeing him up to go back to modular buildings.

But again, I'm not believing a shred of what @theremin says until they're willing to bet on it.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:41 PM, Maple said:

I like the new brick built roads a million times better than what we currently have. However I also feel roads in a LEGO set up are a waste of money. However you would only need to raise up the modulars one plate and everything should work right.

I love the new road system.

If what @theremin says is true, then I'm in. A small food area not a restaurant...hmm...what's more another Italian specialry, gelato, a gelateria perhaps? That is if that rumor true? *huh*

2 hours ago, SollX said:

you guys wanted a museum.... so here it is! :P

probably some paintings and statues. and a small italian restaurant

I sure hope this is not the “museum” we’re getting!

2 hours ago, theremin said:

The car as GWP is the winner of this contest: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/bd37c50e-cead-44ce-8a6f-5c15c0967915

The modular itself includes a small vehicle (not a car).

The set has 6 minifigures. In line with the aim of promoting inclusivity, one of them is disabled.

Wait, they gift an american car with an italian style biulding? ?

So, based on what I’ve seen posted in the past 24 hours, looks like it’s  safe to say we still don’t know anything about the next modular.  I’ll check back in a week or so.......I have a 4,000+ piece modular hospital from another manufacturer to work on. 

2 hours ago, tafkatb said:

If anything, I'm wondering if the Architecture line (which Jamie had been managing the past few years) has finally breathed its last wheezing gasp, freeing him up to go back to modular buildings.

But again, I'm not believing a shred of what @theremin says until they're willing to bet on it.

You're expecting someone whos potentially willing to lie over the internet... to guarantee you theyll buy you a lego set... if it turns out theyre lying....
You realise how dumb and pointless that is?
'Yeah ill agree to that bet!
*his words turns out to not be true'
As if he would then pay up....

Additionally...

@theremin
Why should we believe you, someone with no posts here before this? 
What you've said, sounds very much like assumptions anyone can make. How do you know this?
Or are you just some troll looking for a bit of fun? (which if that's the case, is sad...)

Edited by Fuppylodders

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

You're expecting someone whos potentially willing to lie over the internet... to guarantee you theyll buy you a lego set... if it turns out theyre lying....
You realise how dumb and pointless that is?
'Yeah ill agree to that bet!
*his words turns out to not be true'
As if he would then pay up....

Think this through.

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that if they are lying, they are pretty unlikely to pay up. This is not a matter of seeking personal gain for myself. The point is, I'm introducing a proposition by which theremin would have something to gain, with essentially no risk, if they are telling the truth. They would have no reason not to accept the bet because they would be guaranteed to win. But they didn't, which tells me all I need to know. It's actually a pretty consistently effective approach when you want to test someone's confidence in their assertions.

Edited by tafkatb

1 hour ago, tafkatb said:

Think this through.

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that if they are lying, they are pretty unlikely to pay up. This is not a matter of seeking personal gain for myself. The point is, I'm introducing a proposition by which theremin would have something to gain, with essentially no risk, if they are telling the truth. They would have no reason not to accept the bet because they would be guaranteed to win. But they didn't, which tells me all I need to know. It's actually a pretty consistently effective approach when you want to test someone's confidence in their assertions.

There is nothing to think through. If they're lying, there's nothing stopping them taking up the bet to call their own bluff, and then simply not pay up when it gets proven wrong. The fact they haven't taken it up doesn't say anything as they haven't even acknowledged it.
It might be an effective method irl when you know someone who actually would have to pay up, but in internet world where people can say/promise what they like without having to back it up, it's worthless.

I promise I am well aware that people :oh: sometimes lie on the internet.

We all have our preferred strategies for assessing rumors. Some like to use game theory and Bayesian inference to test claims, some just like to be hostile and condescending. I'm not trying to force my methodology on anyone else here, just accept the fact that what I'm doing works for me and move along.

Since Downtown Diner is most likely retiring, I finally got my hands on it yesterday and now its sold out again. They may have it available next weekend, so for those that have been waiting act quick.

2 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I promise I am well aware that people :oh: sometimes lie on the internet.

We all have our preferred strategies for assessing rumors. Some like to use game theory and Bayesian inference to test claims, some just like to be hostile and condescending. I'm not trying to force my methodology on anyone else here, just accept the fact that what I'm doing works for me and move along.

I'm not too sure you're aware you're also posting on a public forum where others can and *oh2* will, respond to what you say regardless if it's directed at them or not... If you'd rather someone moved along, you'd be best off sending a pm to theremin if you want to keep it all between you and him and prefer your own personal space... 

On 11/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, theremin said:

Following the Colosseum and the Fiat 500, even the new modular will be a tribute to Italy, with a focus on art and food. It's a combination of buildings that mix classical architecture and the typical Italian townhouse style, with a brand new technique for the roof. It will be available in January as usual, with a car as GWP. Surprisingly, it won't be part of the new adult-oriented line.

This set also marks the return to the series of the former designer Jamie Berard. Unfortunately there are still a few weeks to the reveal...

Could very well be the case. Or completely not. Either way, an italian modular is long overdue (heck, I've done two myself as MOCs! Check EB topics if you wish :wink:). As is a yellow building. I have a hunch that if this turns out to be true (again, probably unlikely), the townhouse will be built using one of the three Lego shades of yellow.

I think this is just wishful thinking from @theremin, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if the last three modulars weren't performing as well as previous. DD was the only one that was (at least in my books) downright great, yet for completely different reasons to why a Berard design was great. The other two are just average.

I didn't mean to cause trouble. Just wanted to share this information that I got from a private source and that I'm pretty confident about. What I know so far:

- straight three-story modular, on a regular 32x32 baseplate;
- really stylish exterior, with an Italian feeling;
- it is not a single building, yet it can't be divided;
- classical architecture and typical townhouse style are both represented and mixed;
- unprecedented building technique for the roof;
- color scheme is not as "flamboyant" as some latest modulars;
- main theme is art-related, in a "funny" way;
- a secondary business is linked to food;
- primary subject is very prevailing, as well as the bank in the Brick Bank;
- a small vehicle completes the scene;
- six minifigures included, one of them represents a disabled person;
- designer is Jamie Berard, coming back after the Assembly Square;
- no black box distinctive of the adult-oriented series (to be confirmed);
- it will be available in January at a price of 199,99$;
- GWP car included at launch (winner of this contest).

9 hours ago, carlo.fadel said:

Wait, they gift an american car with an italian style biulding? ?

Surely an Italian building should be accompanied by three British Minis and a set of traffic lights.