The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

4 hours ago, Kirton Bricks said:

As we speculate on what the modular will be - do you think it will be built any 'higher up' to fit in with the new brick built road design? Or will it carry on as is?

I completely forgot about those new road plates. Hmm...

Given the product images, it is probably beyond speculation that new roads are coming. It would be odd if they run two incompatible systems though (that is speculation of course). But then the baseplate roads have never been part of the modular range. The cars sit off the build in modular images.

I read somewhere they are purely just for city and nothing else. Given modulars don't utilise any sort of road, it would be unnecessary to design the modulars to fit the new road system. Additionally, if one were to assume they're using the new road system to replace base plates so they stop producing them altogether, it'd affect their entire range of lego that utilises baseplates.

The new road system is just for city. Modulars will keep their usual flat baseplates. (well, I'm seriously hoping.... but as with all things, it could change in the future :shrug_confused: )

Edited by Fuppylodders

14 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Modulars will keep their usual flat baseplates. (well, I'm seriously hoping.... but as with all things, it could change in the future :shrug_confused: )

I wish the modulars use a base plate that supports wireless lighting like the one from i-Brix. Until Lego has such a solution they should continue to use the flat baseplates.

Pictures of the new road plates are out and they look cool. They definitely don't match up with the existing base plates. The new roads are higher. In some of the LEGO city 2021 revealed they show the new road plates connected to some of the new sets and it kind of looks odd because you can tell the roads are higher than the base. :wacko: it would look way off for the modulars.

7 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Pictures of the new road plates are out and they look cool. They definitely don't match up with the existing base plates. The new roads are higher. In some of the LEGO city 2021 revealed they show the new road plates connected to some of the new sets and it kind of looks odd because you can tell the roads are higher than the base. :wacko: it would look way off for the modulars.

I like the new brick built roads a million times better than what we currently have. However I also feel roads in a LEGO set up are a waste of money. However you would only need to raise up the modulars one plate and everything should work right.

Edited by Maple

On 11/19/2020 at 1:23 PM, Kirton Bricks said:

As we speculate on what the modular will be - do you think it will be built any 'higher up' to fit in with the new brick built road design? Or will it carry on as is?

I can’t see them switching. A big selling point is that they connect. If they went away from baseplates that wouldn’t work anymore...until next year at least. 

On 11/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, Brick387 said:

It has been speculated that Lego will be introducing new brick built roads. But nobody ever said they'd be replacing the road baseplates. I also agree that the new road plates will probably be for city only.

Well, that’s true. We all just assumed the road plates were being replaced. They could have both I suppose. I certainly hope so. 

Following the Colosseum and the Fiat 500, even the new modular will be a tribute to Italy, with a focus on art and food. It's a combination of buildings that mix classical architecture and the typical Italian townhouse style, with a brand new technique for the roof. It will be available in January as usual, with a car as GWP. Surprisingly, it won't be part of the new adult-oriented line.

This set also marks the return to the series of the former designer Jamie Berard. Unfortunately there are still a few weeks to the reveal...

7 minutes ago, theremin said:

Following the Colosseum and the Fiat 500, even the new modular will be a tribute to Italy, with a focus on art and food. It's a combination of buildings that mix classical architecture and the typical Italian townhouse style, with a brand new technique for the roof. It will be available in January as usual, with a car as GWP. Surprisingly, it won't be part of the new adult-oriented line.

This set also marks the return to the series of the former designer Jamie Berard. Unfortunately there are still a few weeks to the reveal...

Good rule of thumb for determining how reliable someone's information is (or how confident they are in it): see how much they're willing to wager on it.

So: if you're right, I'll buy you a copy of the new modular. If you're wrong, you buy me one. Deal?

59 minutes ago, theremin said:

Hmm food and art? Like in the parisian restaurant. It sounds good what you write. But I'm a bit sceptical about the Info since it kinda would repeat the parisian restaurant thematically...

2 hours ago, theremin said:

I'd certainly like to know what the source of this information is...as as far as I can tell this is the first info on any website where someone is claiming they know what is is.

I'm a little bit skeptical on how real this 'news' is. So you're saying it's basically an Italian Restaurant? I sure hope not. We don't need another restaurant until next year at least. We've had a few restaurants on shelves recently, and there's been multiple cafe's throughout the range. Let's have something different please. It would be neat if Jaime returned, but I'd rather see something new, instead of just an Italian take on the PR.

"Surprisingly, it won't be part of the new adult-oriented line."

I don't know about that, if they're willing to make the Elf Clubhouse an 18+ set, it's almost a guarantee the next Modular Building will be in the adult-oriented line. 

Speaking of which, how do you all feel about the possibility that the next modular would have the new black box design instead of the previous version with really nice backgrounds? I'm not too keen about it though.

2 hours ago, Kallego said:

Hmm food and art? Like in the parisian restaurant. It sounds good what you write. But I'm a bit sceptical about the Info since it kinda would repeat the parisian restaurant thematically...

It's way different from the Parisian Restaurant. The main theme is art, food plays a minor role. Just to give a general idea in terms of space distribution, you can imagine something similar to the Brick Bank.

I am not at all keen on the black boxes either. With the Modulars, seeing the background environment and foliage Lego has placed around it really helps me decide where to put it in my city. For other sets it's not really even the black boxes that put me off, but the 18+ age rating! Sesame Street 18+?! 12+ at the absolute highest. Modulars should only be marked 14+ I'd say. I think Lego should honestly forget the age ratings on sets. Keep the black boxes if you want to, Lego. But saying it's designed for only people 18 and up is a bit ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, theremin said:

It's way different from the Parisian Restaurant. The main theme is art, food plays a minor role. Just to give a general idea in terms of space distribution, you can imagine something similar to the Brick Bank.

Wait, you've legit laid your eyes on the new modular!? *huh* *oh2*

2 minutes ago, Brick387 said:

I am not at all keen on the black boxes either. With the Modulars, seeing the background environment and foliage Lego has placed around it really helps me decide where to put it in my city. For other sets it's not really even the black boxes that put me off, but the 18+ age rating! Sesame Street 18+?! 12+ at the absolute highest. Modulars should only be marked 14+ I'd say. I think Lego should honestly forget the age ratings on sets. Keep the black boxes if you want to, Lego. But saying it's designed for only people 18 and up is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, the age rating is rather bizzare. I'm not sure if LEGO is currently experimenting with this new marketing strategy to see how it goes, or if they know for sure it's the way to go in attracting new adult customers. I wonder how long they'll keep this going for future Creator Expert and LEGO Ideas releases. (LEGO Ideas used to have the most creative box designs :cry_sad:)

4 hours ago, theremin said:

1 hour ago, Kirton Bricks said:

I'd certainly like to know what the source of this information is...as as far as I can tell this is the first info on any website where someone is claiming they know what is is.

There was this quote from Guyon2002 last week 'apply the usual grain of salt'. Although they don't claim to know what it is, but to me that is a clue that some sort of cooking food is involved.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:15 PM, Guyon2002 said:

Hi guys, never really visited this thread before because I personally don't really have an interest in the Modular Buildings line but my source (see the Potter and Marvel threads for reference) has asked me to share this bit of info with you guys. And just like earlier info drops: apply the usual grain of salt :wink:

10278 - Modular 2021 - $199,99

Wouldn't be surprised if it included some kind of eatery, as its been a couple of years since any form was in a modular going by this logic: 2014 Parisian Restaurant, then 2 years without followed by 2017 Bakery in Assembly Square & 2018 Downtown Dinner then 2 years without. So 2021 food outlet of some sort included. Just a hunch!

1 minute ago, scottwb2010 said:

There was this quote from Guyon2002 last week 'apply the usual grain of salt'. Although they don't claim to know what it is, but to me that is a clue that some sort of cooking food is involved.

I'll just chime in to say that I really don't know what it is and I wasn't hinting at anything. 'Apply the usual grain of salt' was meant to convey that while I'm sure the info is correct it shouldn't be treated as fact untill LEGO themselves confirms it.

I guess it was only a matter of time, that we would see a Italian style modular ;)). A art gallery of sorts sounds be nice, and a small pizza parlor on the side (but a traditional one, not the lego city style) would also be quite neat.

49 minutes ago, Boettner Builds said:

I don’t know how I feel about this. If it’s too “Italian” it might not blend with my city very well...

The 2020 modular didn't look at all like something from Amsterdam, so I hope this time it will be "Italian" enough :laugh:

I do hope that someday they will release something beyond the western culture, like a Japanese, or Chinese style Modular

Edited by ddavid

On 11/20/2020 at 1:58 PM, Fuppylodders said:

I read somewhere they are purely just for city and nothing else. Given modulars don't utilise any sort of road, it would be unnecessary to design the modulars to fit the new road system. Additionally, if one were to assume they're using the new road system to replace base plates so they stop producing them altogether, it'd affect their entire range of lego that utilises baseplates.

The new road system is just for city. Modulars will keep their usual flat baseplates. (well, I'm seriously hoping.... but as with all things, it could change in the future :shrug_confused: )

The next modular has the usual baseplate indeed.

1 hour ago, ddavid said:

I guess it was only a matter of time, that we would see a Italian style modular ;)). A art gallery of sorts sounds be nice, and a small pizza parlor on the side (but a traditional one, not the lego city style) would also be quite neat.

With the description of it being similar in space to the Brick Bank a gallery is the first thing to pop in my mind as well. It would be out of left field for sure, but very welcome from me. I would absolutely love an art gallery be the main focus of a Modular. 

To be honest, as Italian, as there are many different architectural styles here that I am not even sure what I would define as "Italian".

I guess most of you have in mind something from central Italy (Florence, Rome), but, for example, near the border with Slovenia we have cities (Trieste is the major example) which have buildings similar to the previously released Brick Bank.

Here is in fact... a bank!

1918-2018, la sede di Banca d'Italia a Trieste festeggia il centenario:  oggi e domani porte aperte - Il Piccolo Trieste

I am not convinced about an art gallery, however I can see it being a part of a museum.

Still we are just speculating at the moment. 

Edited by Strakk