The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Bainter-ban said:

Thanks for the info! Any hint on what it may be? Post office? Police station? Retirement community with a bingo club?

No idea :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Sources now confirming the next modular will have these pieces:

6014274.jpg306802.jpg4121715.jpg

Wait, what?! I would never have expected that! This really helps narrow it down... Maybe a lamppost store? ?

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

I got nothing to post, I’m just here to laugh at this. ??

Looking at those parts, I think it might be a post office...

11 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Finally, some proper leaks! Really looking forward to this set now ?

14 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Hi guys, never really visited this thread before because I personally don't really have an interest in the Modular Buildings line but my source (see the Potter and Marvel threads for reference) has asked me to share this bit of info with you guys. And just like earlier info drops: apply the usual grain of salt :wink:

10278 - Modular 2021 - $199,99

Finally something! So a regular-sized modular it is and presumably not a corner if following the now well-established pattern.

12 hours ago, koalayummies said:

3001140.jpg474001.jpg

Sources confirming these pieces as well @koalayummies:laugh::laugh:

As for designers, by bet is on another new designer this year. Justin, Marcos, Nick, Niek... all great designers who could do a good job. I'm not too familiar with the AFOL work of any of these but if I recall correctly Marcos did a really good corner modular before joining Lego. I would also love to see the love and attention that is going to the Chinese New Year sets to modulars: you know, the super cool recolours of odd parts and all that. César Soares could also do a super job.

Honestly, as long as it has the technical innovation of a Psiaki design or the cute charm of a Berard design (or both...), I'm down for it! :sweet:

22 hours ago, Brick387 said:

Wait, what?! I would never have expected that! This really helps narrow it down... Maybe a lamppost store? ?

22 hours ago, Memo5378 said:

I got nothing to post, I’m just here to laugh at this. ??

22 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Looking at those parts, I think it might be a post office...

ROFL. Genuinely funny, all of you. :rofl: We'll look back on this and smile post-reveal.

20 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

OMG! :hmpf_bad:

Sorry. :pir-huzzah2:

12 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Finally, some proper leaks! Really looking forward to this set now ?

Yes! Its incredibly exciting news I know.

11 hours ago, paupadros said:

Sources confirming these pieces as well? :laugh::laugh:

I dropped the ball there. Paupadros interception coming out strong with great news!

21 hours ago, paupadros said:

10278 - Modular 2021 - $199,99

That would make it the 2nd most expensive modular of all time along with CG and TH and just behind AS... It better be darn good!

Due to the current situation in the world this year, the hospital would sound like a very realistic choice to me. Especially if the information is correct that the set will cost 200$.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, MT480 said:

The reason why I miss Jamie designing the modular is not only because of the attention to detail, but because of the play features he incorporated.  For example, the secret passage way in Detective's Office or the whole laundry/bank safe thing in Brick Bank was amazing.

Hard pass on that kind of stuff. Very glad that only lasted for two sets.

It's great when a modular contains 'story starters', but these dedicated play features for a prefabricated storyline were utterly unnecessary and felt very forced and out of place in those sets.

IMO, of course :)

Edited by ReplicaOfLife

54 minutes ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

It's great when a modular contains 'story starters', but these dedicated play features for a prefabricated storyline were utterly unnecessary and felt very forced and out of place in those sets.

I’m in complete agreement with you.  I collect modular buildings with some MOCs thrown in.  The manufacturer is irrelevant to  me as long as it’s a good design that adds to my collection.  I look at the building, not the mini-figs or the story line. As time goes by, a higher percentage of my city is non-Lego.  

6 hours ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

100% agree. The build (interior or exterior) should not be compromised for such “story” elements. They can save those things for other themes.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, koalayummies said:

Cinnabon confirmed. :moar:

On 11/14/2020 at 3:30 AM, paupadros said:

I would also love to see the love and attention that is going to the Chinese New Year sets to modulars: you know, the super cool recolours of odd parts and all that. César Soares could also do a super job.

We all would. A lot of great details, colors, & a huge helping of minifgs for a great price? Yes please! Those are some crazy anomalies though....

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Cinnabon confirmed. :moar:

:cry_happy: Lego store visit with consolation cinnabon when I couldn't get any Lego was the one thing I had to look forward to in this life. Those days aren't ever coming back are they :pir-bawling:

On 11/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, ReplicaOfLife said:

Well... modulars are barely playsets, so playability doesn't matter that much. However, I don't quite like the feeling when you see some empty space on one floor and then another overcrowded floor...

12 hours ago, koalayummies said:

:cry_happy: Lego store visit with consolation cinnabon when I couldn't get any Lego was the one thing I had to look forward to in this life. Those days aren't ever coming back are they :pir-bawling:

I suppose your county isn’t very open? That would definitely be an okay way to lift one’s spirits after a LEGOless trip to the mall  

I go to the San Mateo one, even the Cheesecake Factory was open, although no takers at 11AM on a Sunday when we were there yesterday. 

On 11/4/2020 at 3:11 AM, street87 said:

I still have hope that we get a Post Office. It will be a good addition to the Modular street.

Me too! With a newspaper print shop/news station on the top floor!

21 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

100% agree. The build (interior or exterior) should not be compromised for such “story” elements. They can save those things for other themes.

But were the builds of any of those sets really "compromised" for the story elements? After all, none of those features really eat up much of either set's piece count or floor space, nor do any of them really negatively impact either set's interior or exterior appearance (in fact, they often involve adding points of visual interest which other Modular Buildings lack, such as the ivy-covered grate and raised alleyway in the Detective's Office set, or the open mouth of the chimney in the Brick Bank set). So how much would either of those sets really stand to gain by omitting those play features?

10 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

So how much would either of those sets really stand to gain by omitting those play features?

Yeah its the same discussion every time a car is included as well (FB, PC, DD, CG). Some would rather take the 100 or so pieces from the vehicle and have them used towards structure detail, but I think the vehicles really compliment each of these buildings and settings and that the buildings aren't lacking in detail from lack of pieces. Even if they are all ye olde separate-water-fountain-era-vehicles getting twelve miles to the tetraethyllead gallon and thus don't have catalytic converters, exhaust gas recirculation or evaporative emissions controls. :drunk:

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I suppose your county isn’t very open? That would definitely be an okay way to lift one’s spirits after a LEGOless trip to the mall  

I go to the San Mateo one, even the Cheesecake Factory was open, although no takers at 11AM on a Sunday when we were there yesterday. 

Well I haven't even tried to be honest. I've heard from you and others the mall situation is still a bit restricted. That's why I keep seeking how other builder's visits went; to live vicariously. :excited:

8 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah its the same discussion every time a car is included as well (FB, PC, DD, CG). Some would rather take the 100 or so pieces from the vehicle and have them used towards structure detail, but I think the vehicles really compliment each of these buildings and settings and that the buildings aren't lacking in detail from lack of pieces. Even if they are all ye olde separate-water-fountain-era-vehicles getting twelve miles to the tetraethyllead gallon and thus don't have catalytic converters, exhaust gas recirculation or evaporative emissions controls. :drunk:

Well I haven't even tried to be honest. I've heard from you and others the mall situation is still a bit restricted. That's why I keep seeking how other builder's visits went; to live vicariously. :excited:

Nov was the first time we went since this all started. If we had one closer when they offered curbside we may have gone...but the big draw is the BaM & PaB...the situation is certainly a bit all over the place(obvious depending on where you are). I’ve heard that a store wasn’t allowing people to touch the boxes, you just told the employee what you wanted. Then I see some stores will do the BaM by piece as opposed to complete minifigs to choose from(although I was able to make substitutions) like the one I went to. It may worth it to call & see. 

To be on topic, I don’t mind the features or the cars. I especially liked the DO’s story, it really tied both buildings together & was a fun addition. It does bring Ace’s detective skill sets into question... and the Brick Bank’s is just too funny not to love. Then, you can’t have a fire station or garage without the appropriate cars. Both of which are fantastic. The limo in the PC is a bit of an acquired taste & the Caddy wasn’t essential but definitely fitting. 

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

So how much would either of those sets really stand to gain by omitting those play features?

I’m no Lego designer, but for a starter, they could have ditched the kitchen in the Detective’s Office if it wasn’t necessary for baking cookies for smuggling. A random kitchen above a barber which you have to pass through to get to an office doesn’t make much sense to me. Perhaps the barber could have been increased - I find it very hard getting an adult hand in the barbershop to pose mini figures in the chair. Or maybe the detective could have had a tiny apartment accessible through his office?

For the bank, hopefully the vault could have been fully enclosed. And, I’d ditch the laundry completely - if the money laundering storyline is removed, and focus on making a single purpose, grander bank. 

It’s not solely the “play features” which I don’t like, but the additions necessary for the forced storylines - cookie smuggling and money laundering. A play feature like money coming from an ATM in the bank makes sense to me (except for the quasi early 1900s setting of the Modulars).