The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 11/5/2020 at 1:09 AM, SFmuscle73 said:

As I recall, it's the designer who picks what the building type is for the Modular...

• Astrid had an architectural background, so the NeoClassical Town Hall
  • Mike has a passion for cars, so an Art Deco car dealership that morphed to the Downtown Dinner due to scale issues with fitting a car inside the building
  • Florian had ties to legacy Octan branding/sets and so the Corner Garage
  • Wes had an upbringing with doll houses and so the Bookshop’s doll house like Turquoise Home

I’m not sure they listen to fan wishes in the case of Modulars.  If the designer name was leaked for the 2021 Modular, we might be able to speculate what Modular they might do or even the building style...  

As an example if it's Wes, I could imagine he might do an Art Nouveau inspired building...  My two cents for what it's worth...  Anyone know any leaks on the designer?

Please be Jamie...

Well... details means a lot to me and Jamie's models always delivers in that aspect. I know I'm not the only one thinking this here :tongue:

17 hours ago, Flippi01 said:

What is amazing is how tight TLG are with info these days , in years gone by there were more rumours or leaks which often proved correct - this year nothing ! When are we expecting official release ? 

I'd say Jan 1... :sceptic:

Edited by JintaiZ

3 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Please be Jamie...

Well... details means a lot to me and Jamie's models always delivers in that aspect. I know I'm not the only one thinking this here :tongue:

I'd say Jan 1... :sceptic:

We’re all going to be standing in line at the LEGO store on January 1st with absolutely no idea what we’re buying hahaha

Didn't Jamie step away from designing the modulars? I believe he's still part of the team and oversee's everything but he's not designing them anymore as such (which is a shame!).

1 hour ago, Kirton Bricks said:

Didn't Jamie step away from designing the modulars? I believe he's still part of the team and oversee's everything but he's not designing them anymore as such (which is a shame!).

I don't think Jamie himself gets to decide who designs the modulars... but yes, he's still working at TLG.

6 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I don't think Jamie himself gets to decide who designs the modulars... but yes, he's still working at TLG.

I think he has a lot to say in regards to who designs them since he is the design leader of the team that makes them :wink:
Marcos Bessa is the design lead on HP, but he still made the Diagon Alley set. So it is possible that Jamie will make more modulars in the future, however that depends on how he likes to run things and if he put aside time to make one :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Roebuck said:

I think he has a lot to say in regards to who designs them since he is the design leader of the team that makes them :wink:
Marcos Bessa is the design lead on HP, but he still made the Diagon Alley set. So it is possible that Jamie will make more modulars in the future, however that depends on how he likes to run things and if he put aside time to make one :shrug_oh_well:

So... I emailed customer service and they said Jamie is working on something that isn't quite revealed yet. I guess that's good news?

It was just announced he’s on Season 2 of LEGO Masters, so is that the reveal?  He’s a busy guy... hopefully not too busy for designing...

I’m not sure they listen to our wishes,  if the designer was liked we might be able to speculate what they might want to do...

32 minutes ago, SFmuscle73 said:

It was just announced he’s on Season 2 of LEGO Masters, so is that the reveal?  He’s a busy guy... hopefully not too busy for designing...

Could be... :cry_sad:, but I was really expecting a good set from him...

Hopefully he'll surprise us with a brand new modular...

Edited by JintaiZ

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

So... I emailed customer service and they said Jamie is working on something that isn't quite revealed yet. I guess that's good news?

Sorry to disappoint, but employees at customer service do not know what Jamie is working on. Not many other Lego employees beside other designers for that matter, it is a reason we do not get any leaks before they start making the sets in factories or start promoting them :wink:

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Sorry to disappoint, but employees at customer service do not know what Jamie is working on. Not many other Lego employees beside other designers for that matter, it is a reason we do not get any leaks before they start making the sets in factories or start promoting them :wink:

So... I'll be honest: I've been skipping latest 2 modulars, and therefore not having my hopes too high. But Jamie designing it will certainly be a nice surprise.

So I'm assuming SFmuscle73 is right... the reveal is LEGO Masters... :sad:

On 11/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, MT480 said:

I've always enjoyed the European style buildings as suppose to the American style (I'm American).  I'm wondering which style they'll go with this time or if they go with something new.  Pet shop, Parisian Restaurant, Bookshop, and the elusive Green Grocer were some of the great ones.  However, my favorite American style was definitely either the Detective's Office or Brick Bank.

Honestly, I think trying to categorize the modular buildings as "European style" or "American style" tends to be a bit reductive. After all, of the sets you list as "some of the great ones", Pet Shop includes a building modeled on a New York City brownstone, and Green Grocer was inspired by buildings in San Francisco.

And considering how common European architectural styles were in many United States cities even back in the early 20th century, I feel like there are only a few sets (namely Fire Brigade, Palace Cinema, and Downtown Diner) that are unambiguously "American" in appearance.

Case in point: Brick Bank is in the Palazzo style, which was popular in England, Scotland, and Australia as well as the United States. Just a couple of British bank buildings in this style are 30 St. Vincent Place and 2 St. Vincent Place in Glasgow. For that matter, the style of the neighboring building more closely resembles the look of a British launderette than an American laundromat.

Personally, I'm not too picky about who designs the next modular building. That said, I think one of the specific reasons Jamie stepped away from designing the modular buildings himself was that he'd done so many modular building designs and wanted to let other designers who could approach the series with a fresh perspective leave their mark on the series.

While I'm sure he'll always be willing to help his colleagues with particular design challenges if the need arises, I don't see much chance of him "taking back the reins" on a future modular building outside of some special or extraordinary circumstances. And I'm fine with that! Our nostalgia certainly might make us think that Jamie's buildings had some unmatched mastery of detail, but I don't feel like the last three years' modular building sets are really any less detailed than a lot of the buildings he worked on.

For my part, I would not mind seeing Wes Talbott create another modular building in the future. Besides what an amazing job he did on the Bookshop, his work on other themes like LEGO Friends, Elves, and Harry Potter also does a lot to demonstrate his eye for detail, his creative taste in colors and building techniques, and his versatility in working with different subject matter.

Joel Baker, another designer hired just a few years ago, has strong credentials from working on several of those same themes — to say nothing of his incredible portfolio of MOCs that helped to get him hired for a design position at LEGO! There are also several designers like who've worked on Ninjago, Monkie Kid, and Chinese Festival sets who might be able to apply some of that same ingenuity to a modular building: for example, Michael Svane Knap, Woon Tze Chee, Markus Rollbühler, Nick Vas, Justin Ramsden, etc.

All in all, a lot of exciting possibilities to consider!

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

While I'm sure he'll always be willing to help his colleagues with particular design challenges if the need arises, I don't see much chance of him "taking back the reins" on a future modular building outside of some special or extraordinary circumstances. And I'm fine with that! Our nostalgia certainly might make us think that Jamie's buildings had some unmatched mastery of detail, but I don't feel like the last three years' modular building sets are really any less detailed than a lot of the buildings he worked on.

Agreed, with all the designer talent at Lego I very much enjoy seeing what everyone can bring to the modular buildings. I'm not a huge fan of Art Deco/Streamline but what Mike Psiaki did with the diner; capturing that style so wonderfully and the techniques he employed were all so fantastic, it was exciting to see what talent that normally specializes elsewhere can do with this theme. Same with Lars Joe and the Corner Garage, the fully angled facade. Astrid's Town Hall. And look at all the MOCs!

To restrict any theme to being primarily designed by just one person would be wasting of so much potential and possibility.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Honestly, I think trying to categorize the modular buildings as "European style" or "American style" tends to be a bit reductive. After all, of the sets you list as "some of the great ones", Pet Shop includes a building modeled on a New York City brownstone, and Green Grocer was inspired by buildings in San Francisco.

And considering how common European architectural styles were in many United States cities even back in the early 20th century, I feel like there are only a few sets (namely Fire Brigade, Palace Cinema, and Downtown Diner) that are unambiguously "American" in appearance.

Case in point: Brick Bank is in the Palazzo style, which was popular in England, Scotland, and Australia as well as the United States. Just a couple of British bank buildings in this style are 30 St. Vincent Place and 2 St. Vincent Place in Glasgow. For that matter, the style of the neighboring building more closely resembles the look of a British launderette than an American laundromat.

Personally, I'm not too picky about who designs the next modular building. That said, I think one of the specific reasons Jamie stepped away from designing the modular buildings himself was that he'd done so many modular building designs and wanted to let other designers who could approach the series with a fresh perspective leave their mark on the series.

For my part, I would not mind seeing Wes Talbott create another modular building in the future. Besides what an amazing job he did on the Bookshop, his work on other themes like LEGO Friends, Elves, and Harry Potter also does a lot to demonstrate his eye for detail, his creative taste in colors and building techniques, and his versatility in working with different subject matter.

Joel Baker, another designer hired just a few years ago, has strong credentials from working on several of those same themes — to say nothing of his incredible portfolio of MOCs that helped to get him hired for a design position at LEGO! There are also several designers like who've worked on Ninjago, Monkie Kid, and Chinese Festival sets who might be able to apply some of that same ingenuity to a modular building: for example, Michael Svane Knap, Woon Tze Chee, Markus Rollbühler, Nick Vas, Justin Ramsden, etc.

Well... I'll be honest right here:

I don't mind Jamie stepping away from the modulars; however, the 2019 and 2020 versions were less detailed than Jamie's sets in my opinion, and that is the reason I've been hesitating to purchase them. And other than that, I have an extreme dislike for the colors used in the Bookshop. Not sure if it's just me, but I feel like the light yellow just doesn't blend well with the exterior colors.

I think Nick Vas could do excellent on the modulars; proved by the incredible Ninjago City. Perhaps he'll do another Ninjago modular? We'll see...

Personally, I think Marcos Bessa has a lot of potential to design modular buildings. The detailing is always amazing and the overall color scheme is great, at least in my opinion.

Last but not least, I think Justin Ramsden is a great designer. However, I think it'll be better if he just focus on other sets instead.

JintaiZ

I look for presence more than detail, since the interior details are kind of lost on display anyway.    You can miss me with the hidden cookie smuggling compartment.   Astrid's designs were actually great in that regard.   80107 Spring Lantern Festival is one of the most exciting 2021 sets, because it shuns interior details almost completely, but yet manages to be innovative and Modular-adjacent.

10 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

I look for presence more than detail, since the interior details are kind of lost on display anyway.    You can miss me with the hidden cookie smuggling compartment.   Astrid's designs were actually great in that regard.   80107 Spring Lantern Festival is one of the most exciting 2021 sets, because it shuns interior details almost completely, but yet manages to be innovative and Modular-adjacent.

Well... Astrid's designs were excellent, but I don't think we'll ever see a modular designer by her again...

So I won't nitpick much on the Corner Garage, but I mean... it should have had some tiled floors. All modulars but the first ones had tiled floors, so that felt like a step down in my opinion.

And for the presence, I feel like the Bookshop's color should have been tan instead. The nougat brown just doesn't blend with the shiny interior...

So far, we had six modulars not designed by Jamie:

Market Street was a fan design, and being from the era without interiors it's hard to compare it to the later ones.

Town Hall was pretty dull, both in terms of looks and in terms of building techniques. There are few exciting techniques used in it, most of it is regular studs-on-top-construction (which I often quite like, but it's more calmiong than exciting)

Palace Cinema was a good effort that imo always got a bit too much flak from the fan community for being a bit smaller (personally, I'd easily place it above some Jamie sets like DO or BB on my list)

Downtown Diner was one of the best in the entire series. As @koalayummies already mentioned, some of the techniques Mike used were simply amazing. For me, that set propably had the biggest WOW-factor of them all. And despite it being a decidedly american design, I also love the way it looks. Just a big win all-around, imo

Corner Garage was quite a let-down after that. While it boasted some nice techniques (rolling up garage-door, the way he used those train windscreens as windows, filling up the gaps in the angled facade (not the angled facade itself though, that's a pretty basic thing, all-in-all) and was a full three-storey building, it just...didn't look too good. The facade details feel uninspired ('just stick a lot of small tiles on there'), the untiled ground floor is a shame (especially with the 30€ price increase), and the interior is lacking throughout.

BS was a step up again. While the buildings weren't too detailed aswell, they just looked good. Interior detail was ok for me aswell - sure, we had much more intricate ones, but the BS's still falls on the side of 'detailed enough' for me. Only criticism here from me is the incredibly small footprint of the buildings.

So, all in all, I'm all in favor of other designers trying their hand. Maybe we'll get another eye-opener like DD, or just well-thought out sets like BS. There's always the possibility of a miss, of course, but then not all of Jamies' sets are without flaw either (and, no, I won't repeat my broken record piece about DO and BB's play features and nonsensical floor arrangements)

31 minutes ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

So far, we had six modulars not designed by Jamie:

Market Street was a fan design, and being from the era without interiors it's hard to compare it to the later ones.

Town Hall was pretty dull, both in terms of looks and in terms of building techniques. There are few exciting techniques used in it, most of it is regular studs-on-top-construction (which I often quite like, but it's more calmiong than exciting)

Palace Cinema was a good effort that imo always got a bit too much flak from the fan community for being a bit smaller (personally, I'd easily place it above some Jamie sets like DO or BB on my list)

Downtown Diner was one of the best in the entire series. As @koalayummies already mentioned, some of the techniques Mike used were simply amazing. For me, that set propably had the biggest WOW-factor of them all. And despite it being a decidedly american design, I also love the way it looks. Just a big win all-around, imo

Corner Garage was quite a let-down after that. While it boasted some nice techniques (rolling up garage-door, the way he used those train windscreens as windows, filling up the gaps in the angled facade (not the angled facade itself though, that's a pretty basic thing, all-in-all) and was a full three-storey building, it just...didn't look too good. The facade details feel uninspired ('just stick a lot of small tiles on there'), the untiled ground floor is a shame (especially with the 30€ price increase), and the interior is lacking throughout.

BS was a step up again. While the buildings weren't too detailed aswell, they just looked good. Interior detail was ok for me aswell - sure, we had much more intricate ones, but the BS's still falls on the side of 'detailed enough' for me. Only criticism here from me is the incredibly small footprint of the buildings.

So, all in all, I'm all in favor of other designers trying their hand. Maybe we'll get another eye-opener like DD, or just well-thought out sets like BS. There's always the possibility of a miss, of course, but then not all of Jamies' sets are without flaw either (and, no, I won't repeat my broken record piece about DO and BB's play features and nonsensical floor arrangements)

So... I'll say my thoughts:

Town Hall is a fantastic modular in my opinion. The exterior color might be a bit dull but the interior is filled with plenty of details with a beautifully tiled interior.

Palace Cinema was good, but I feel like the interior needed more detail and 6 seats isn't really enough. But it's LEGO, and for that reason I excuse these things.

Downtown Diner was a style change, but I think it's excellent in its own way. The build was one of the most fun I've ever had and I didn't even want it to end! It's also the modular that stands out compared to others, it could be a good thing or bad thing; you decide.

Corner Garage, to be honest... was pretty dull. The exterior has too much windows for my liking and I honestly feels like it's a missed opportunity. There's some cool details but I simply expected more. Bottom line: Please, please, please... tile the interior!

Bookshop remains my least favorite modular of all time. The nougat brown doesn't blend with other modulars well and the interior color just looks a bit weird, not to mention the green stairs... Other than that, I still feel like it could have included more books to be a proper bookshop and the birch tree just looks a bit distracting. That's not to say it's a bad set though, I'm just not a fan of it.

I'm hoping we'll see Mike Psiaki design the next Modular. The Diner just blew me away and I'd be interested in seeing what would happen if Lego gave him another go at a Modular Building. Carl Merriam did some fantastic work on the haunted house though, so having a Modular Building designed by him would be pretty cool too.

17 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Well... I'll be honest right here:

I don't mind Jamie stepping away from the modulars; however, the 2019 and 2020 versions were less detailed than Jamie's sets in my opinion, and that is the reason I've been hesitating to purchase them.

Part of why I don't feel this same way is that Jamie's buildings have varied a LOT in their level of detail over the years. I feel like there's a world of difference between a set like Parisian Restaurant (with full, detailed furnishing replete with story-starters, an exterior that's highly detailed from all sides, creative use of SNOT techniques for its decorative molding, a unique hinged roof construction, etc) and his earlier sets like Cafe Corner and Green Grocer (with sparse furnishings, utterly plain rear walls, front walls and columns dominated by repetitive striped patterns, and much more basic roof designs). So with that in mind, I think the latest few buildings can easily fit comfortably within that pack.

Specifically, if we compare the Bookshop to the most similar set Jamie worked on (the Pet Shop), I think it holds up remarkably well. The townhouse next to the Pet Shop had far fewer furnishings than the one next to the Bookshop. The bay windows, shop windows, stone archway, chimneys, fireplace, cornices, dormers, roofs, stairs, and furniture in the Bookshop set are also much more detailed than their equivalents in the Pet Shop set.

The "plainest"/least detailed part of the Bookshop set is its rear wall, but as I mentioned, this is a weakness it shares with several of Jamie's buildings. Mind you, I can understand having a preference for the more muted colors of many of Jamie's buildings! But as far as its level of detail is concerned, I think Wes managed to meet or exceed the standards which Jamie had previously set for this type of model.

Similarly, in the case of Corner Garage, a lot of elements compare favorably to the Fire Brigade, which was Jamie's only Modular Building set to include a vehicle and a garage. Fire Brigade does have some strengths that Corner Garage lacks, such as its impeccably textured brick walls. But I think Corner Garage surpasses it in other areas like its window and garage door construction, the design of its furniture and appliances, and its unsurpassed use of angled interior and exterior walls to create a more unique and detailed floor plan.

That's without even touching on other elements of Corner Garage's design that set it apart, such as the gas station driveway and canopy construction, the SNOT-based bay window construction, and the veterinary clinic. So while I wouldn't say that Corner Garage surpasses Jamie's work by any means, I definitely feel like it measures up to a lot of his modular building sets, especially those which it shares  the most features in common with.

17 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I think Nick Vas could do excellent on the modulars; proved by the incredible Ninjago City. Perhaps he'll do another Ninjago modular? We'll see...

Personally, I think Marcos Bessa has a lot of potential to design modular buildings. The detailing is always amazing and the overall color scheme is great, at least in my opinion.

Marcos is another great call! I feel like a lot of the greatest strengths of his work have been how well he recreates specific non-LEGO subject matter, but that could be because licensed sets are most of what he's been assigned to work on during his career at LEGO. There's no doubt he has attained a vast repertoire of building techniques and a lot of architectural know-how over that time. As such, if he were to design a future modular building, it would be maybe our first major opportunity to see him leveraging those skills and knowledge in the context of a wholly original building design. That's definitely an exciting prospect to think about!

It's also a good reminder that we can't just judge designers based on what we've seen from them in the past.While some designers like Wes Talbott had many opportunities to show us their knack for architectural and decorative building before being assigned their first modular building, others like Mike Psiaki and Torben Skov have had far more limited opportunities to show off that aspect of their creativity within their usual themes. Perhaps the next great Modular Building could be from a designer who none of us are expecting!

Edited by Aanchir

Just now, Aanchir said:

Part of why I don't feel this same way is that Jamie's buildings have varied a LOT in their level of detail over the years. I feel like there's a world of difference between a set like Parisian Restaurant (with full, detailed furnishing replete with story-starters, an exterior that's highly detailed from all sides, creative use of SNOT techniques for its decorative molding, a unique hinged roof construction, etc) and his earlier sets like Cafe Corner and Green Grocer (with sparse furnishings, utterly plain rear walls, front walls and columns dominated by repetitive striped patterns, and much more basic roof designs). So with that in mind, I think the latest few buildings can easily fit comfortably within that pack.

The "plainest"/least detailed part of the Bookshop set is its rear wall, but as I mentioned, this is a weakness it shares with several of Jamie's buildings. Mind you, I can understand having a preference for the more muted colors of many of Jamie's buildings! But as far as detail is concerned, I think Wes managed to meet or exceed the standards which Jamie had previously set for this type of model.

Similarly, in the case of Corner Garage, a lot of elements compare favorably to the Fire Brigade, which was Jamie's only Modular Building set to include a vehicle and a garage. Fire Brigade does have some strengths that Corner Garage lacks, such as its impeccably textured brick walls. But I think Corner Garage surpasses it in other areas like its window and garage door construction, the design of its furniture and appliances, and its unsurpassed use of angled interior and exterior walls to create a more unique and detailed floor plan.

That's without even touching on other elements of Corner Garage's design that set it apart, such as the gas station driveway and canopy construction, the SNOT-based bay window construction, and the veterinary clinic. So while I wouldn't say that Corner Garage surpasses Jamie's work by any means, I definitely feel like it measures up to a lot of his modular building sets, especially those which it shares  the most features in common with.

Marcos is another great call! I feel like a lot of the greatest strengths of his work have been how well he recreates specific non-LEGO subject matter, but that could be because licensed sets are most of what he's been assigned to work on during his career at LEGO. There's no doubt he has attained a vast repertoire of building techniques and a lot of architectural know-how over that time. As such, if he were to design a future modular building, it would be maybe our first major opportunity to see him leveraging those skills and knowledge in the context of a wholly original building design. That's definitely an exciting prospect to think about!

It's also a good reminder that we can't just judge designers based on what we've seen from them in the past.While some designers like Wes Talbott had many opportunities to show us their knack for architectural and decorative building before being assigned their first modular building, others like Mike Psiaki and Torben Skov have had far more limited opportunities to show off that aspect of their creativity within their usual themes. Perhaps the next great Modular Building could be from a designer who none of us are expecting!

Let's be honest: We can't really compare the old modulars to the newer ones... plus, modulars wouldn't have been possible without Jamie!

But after the 10243, I expected soooooooo much more from the Corner Garage... I mean, it's good that it comes with a vehicle... but honestly, no garage is complete with a single vehicle... Plus, I don't see many new building techniques in it.

By looking at the exterior of the Bookshop... I thought: Woohoo! Finally a modular bookshop! However, I find the interior color weird looking, especially compared to the exterior color...

And the first floor... I expected at least a seat for the reader, however... we got some empty space instead and just a stair...

The second floor feels way too cramped... with a table, a hat, a cup, and stairs. I can't help but think: Why not put more details on the first floor and less on the second floor?

Again, the Bookshop isn't bad... it simply isn't in my cup of tea.

The reason why I miss Jamie designing the modular is not only because of the attention to detail, but because of the play features he incorporated.  For example, the secret passage way in Detective's Office or the whole laundry/bank safe thing in Brick Bank was amazing.  I guess Mike had some cool play features in the Corner Garage, with the whole car lift and garage doors.  Those small little features are what I really enjoy as well.  

Hi guys, never really visited this thread before because I personally don't really have an interest in the Modular Buildings line but my source (see the Potter and Marvel threads for reference) has asked me to share this bit of info with you guys. And just like earlier info drops: apply the usual grain of salt :wink:

10278 - Modular 2021 - $199,99

27 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Hi guys, never really visited this thread before because I personally don't really have an interest in the Modular Buildings line but my source (see the Potter and Marvel threads for reference) has asked me to share this bit of info with you guys. And just like earlier info drops: apply the usual grain of salt :wink:

10278 - Modular 2021 - $199,99

Thanks for the info! Any hint on what it may be? Post office? Police station? Retirement community with a bingo club?