The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Is it just me who would like to see another single purpose building?  We haven't had one since 2013(PC)......

3 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Is it just me who would like to see another single purpose building?  We haven't had one since 2013(PC)......

Agree.

6 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I’d love to see a single purpose building, whether police station, cottage hospital, post office, school, library, museum, apartment building, etc.

48 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

I’d love to see a single purpose building, whether police station, cottage hospital, post office, school, library, museum, apartment building, etc.

I totally agree with you all ! A media center (radio station, television set and newspaper room) or a school (gymnasium, classroom with desks and maps on the walls, chemistry lab) or minihospital (emergency ward, ICU, X-ray room, OR, etc), I’m sure all those models would fit in a 3story building, let’s say the size of TH. Enough restaurants for the moment, more other essential services for our city to reflect reality !

Edited by Hippocampe

Another advantage of a single purpose building is the likelihood you will have fewer walls and partitions.  You might also be able to have an atrium or an interior that does not require the floor to be "complete" like in the TH, BB and GE.  That can help keep the cost of production down by allowing for the building to have more details and possibly size.  

I want to see more modulars with places people go for fun in them.

Like the cinema in the Palace Cinema. Or the pool hall in the Detective's Office. Or some of the things in the Assembly Square like the dance studio.

So many options there, they could do a bowling alley or a video arcade or any number of other options.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:22 AM, FrkW said:

Saw this and just ordered the Temple Fair set from this year. Should take too much moding to make a little China Town area with those two. I hope we get more green spaces eventually, love how it will break up the space and make it more alive. 

I was thinking about this the other day. The Temple & Garden will probably look really good together. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:22 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Definitely. The less pieces they’d have to use on interior walls, they could put into, personal hope, external details. 

Personally I’d love a light purple modular building. 

Does anyone know what brick height the floors of modulars generally are?

2 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

It varies, especially depending on whether they have two floors or three, but the ground floor is usually a few bricks taller than the upper floors. A fairly typical elevation would probably be around ten bricks tall for the first (ground) floor, and seven or eight for each upper floor.

7 hours ago, tafkatb said:

It varies, especially depending on whether they have two floors or three, but the ground floor is usually a few bricks taller than the upper floors. A fairly typical elevation would probably be around ten bricks tall for the first (ground) floor, and seven or eight for each upper floor.

Awesome, thank you! 

10 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

I've done my best to keep track of that sort of info right here! But @tafkatb's earlier is a pretty good rule of thumb.

12 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I've done my best to keep track of that sort of info right here! But @tafkatb's earlier is a pretty good rule of thumb.

That's brilliant!

I'm putting together a variation of Bricky_Brick's car wash design from LEGO Ideas (which I love, but know it won't get approved because modulars never are), and his original is much shorter than the Downtown Diner that it will go next to. I've not built many of the modular yet, so it's good to see the height of the others. Didn't realise that the DD was the shortest. Shocked at just how big Ninjago City is too. Twice the height of DD. Wow.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

That's brilliant!

I'm putting together a variation of Bricky_Brick's car wash design from LEGO Ideas (which I love, but know it won't get approved because modulars never are), and his original is much shorter than the Downtown Diner that it will go next to. I've not built many of the modular yet, so it's good to see the height of the others. Didn't realise that the DD was the shortest. Shocked at just how big Ninjago City is too. Twice the height of DD. Wow. 

Downtown Diner is tied with Brick Bank — you might have to scroll to the right to see some of the buildings since I listed five buildings per row on the first page. And it's only one plate shorter than the roof line of Pet Shop

It's also worth noting that I was measuring to the main roof line of each building, so that excludes roof features like Downtown Diner's "dome", Fire Brigade's bell tower, Town Hall's bell tower, etc. The only reason I counted Ninjago City's central tower is that it is split into separate modules the same way as the other stories.

There might also be typos or calculation errors in some places — I'm not perfect! But I hope it's useful to people anyhow. :classic:  I usually make this stuff for my own reference (or sometimes just to satisfy my own curiosity about how different sets compare) but I figure if I'm gonna put in the time to make charts like this, I might as well try and make them available to other people!

Edited by Aanchir

I used the rankings tab to look at all of them, but good to know that it doesn't include tower bits. Although also a shame, as the car wash is only about 24 bricks high and I don't think I can make it any taller without spoiling the look (already up from about 20 on the original). I'm looking forward to building the rest and seeing how they fit together.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I figure if I'm gonna put in the time to make charts like this, I might as well try and make them available to other people!

Well that's just a wild idea right there! What kind of world is this!? :tongue:

19 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Frequently true of real buildings too. The ground floor is the show-off floor, where you show people how rich you are to afford such high ceilings. Then the upper floors are no so high, especially if they are living or office space.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:09 AM, SFmuscle73 said:

As I recall, it's the designer who picks what the building type is for the Modular...

• Astrid had an architectural background, so the NeoClassical Town Hall
  • Mike has a passion for cars, so an Art Deco car dealership that morphed to the Downtown Dinner due to scale issues with fitting a car inside the building
  • Florian had ties to legacy Octan branding/sets and so the Corner Garage
  • Wes had an upbringing with doll houses and so the Bookshop’s doll house like Turquoise Home

I’m not sure they listen to fan wishes in the case of Modulars.  If the designer name was leaked for the 2021 Modular, we might be able to speculate what Modular they might do or even the building style...  

As an example if it's Wes, I could imagine he might do an Art Nouveau inspired building...  My two cents for what it's worth...  Anyone know any leaks on the designer?

Please be Chris McVeigh, please! That would mean we are getting a full size arcade on the first floor and a computer repair shop above.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:22 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

I don't suspect we will ever see a single use building. The multi-purpose building have a wider audience appeal. Also the playability of a multi purpose set can not be ignored. When kids pick a building to play with, they ALWAYS pick the multi-purpose buildings. I have all of them on display and the DO or AS are picked 80% of the time.

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

Please be Chris McVeigh, please! That would mean we are getting a full size arcade on the first floor and a computer repair shop above.

I

I would love to have an arcade, as long as the interior is well visible from the outside.  There are two really good pairings I can think of with an arcade:

(1) Pizza parlor/arcade    Anyone who grew up in the 1980s knows what I am talking about.  This would be even before the time of Chuck E Cheese.  

(2) Arcade on bottom floor, optometrist just above.  Those who need a storyline know where I am going with this ;)

8 hours ago, MAB said:

Frequently true of real buildings too. The ground floor is the show-off floor, where you show people how rich you are to afford such high ceilings. Then the upper floors are no so high, especially if they are living or office space. 

Yep! Also, the townhouses in the Pet Shop and Bookshop sets use that "extra" height on the lower level for a crawl space — so all the rooms are close to the same height, but the "ground floor" room is elevated a few bricks above the sidewalk.

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

I don't suspect we will ever see a single use building. The multi-purpose building have a wider audience appeal. Also the playability of a multi purpose set can not be ignored. When kids pick a building to play with, they ALWAYS pick the multi-purpose buildings. I have all of them on display and the DO or AS are picked 80% of the time.

I don't know if I'd make a prediction as far-reaching as that, but I feel like in general, LEGO only tends to focus entire modular buildings on a single property when it's a property that really REQUIRES all that space to feel authentic.

In other words, if we ever got a modular school, police station, hospital, embassy, opera house/concert hall, full-service hotel, museum, or factory, I could easily see it taking up the set's entire structure. There's lots of stuff to fill those sorts of properties with that would be relevant to that main purpose even without a whole lot of repetition. In fact, just as was the case with Palace Cinema, these sorts of buildings' real-life equivalents would often require a much, much larger property than a modular building counterpart!

But stuff like eateries, shops, art galleries/studios, apartments, post offices, pharmacies, etc. would probably end up sharing the same lot as other properties, just like they often do in real cities.

After all, even most of the "classic" modular buildings encompassed multiple properties. Café Corner included a café on the ground floor and a hotel on the upper floors. Market Street had a bakery on the ground floor, presumably an apartment on the upper floors, and an open-air market in the neighboring lot. Green Grocer had a grocery store on the ground floor and apartments on the upper floors. So even for their time, sets with a singular focus like Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium were not really the norm.

Edited by Aanchir

3 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Always or 80% of the time... Can't have both :def_shrug:

43 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Always or 80% of the time... Can't have both :def_shrug:

Read it again. He says they always pick a multi-purpose building and 80% of the time it's DO or AS. That would mean the remaining 20% of the time they still choose a multi-purpose building, just not DO or AS.

46 minutes ago, The Brick Rat said:

Read it again. He says they always pick a multi-purpose building and 80% of the time it's DO or AS. That would mean the remaining 20% of the time they still choose a multi-purpose building, just not DO or AS.

Ahhh, gotcha...

To be honest, I was just kinda bored of seeing the 'personally I'd like to see... I want a.... I'd like a *** too....' multiple posts that we haven't seen a million times already. I keep hoping the new post might be some sort of information, but nope... surprise surprise, its the same c**p of people listing the same thing they want to see. Just gets a little tedious.

Edited by Fuppylodders

What is amazing is how tight TLG are with info these days , in years gone by there were more rumours or leaks which often proved correct - this year nothing ! When are we expecting official release ? 

6 hours ago, Flippi01 said:

What is amazing is how tight TLG are with info these days , in years gone by there were more rumours or leaks which often proved correct - this year nothing ! When are we expecting official release ? 

They way they’ve been doing it, I’d expect about the 31st of December :(

I've always enjoyed the European style buildings as suppose to the American style (I'm American).  I'm wondering which style they'll go with this time or if they go with something new.  Pet shop, Parisian Restaurant, Bookshop, and the elusive Green Grocer were some of the great ones.  However, my favorite American style was definitely either the Detective's Office or Brick Bank.