The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

11 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

A post office will be more controversial than a police station now, ref. the American election :laugh:

Not it will not - not everything revolves around that damn topic.

15 hours ago, SollX said:

It will never be a modular.

TLG could get a lot of inspiration out of it. but they will release one modular a year, and it will be one they design themselves.

Competition is strong. I've recently bought modulars from other brands instead of Lego sets I'm not interested in. My buying behavior has changed the last few months in a way that is unfavorable for Lego and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one because there's an increasing number of opportunities to buy sets from other brands and lots of people on YouTube & Co. promoting them. 

Lego has to change and offer a larger number of sets. They already starting doing that, everything is possible now. Even the least likely thing - a new AFOL train set - happend this year!

15 hours ago, street87 said:

I still have hope that we get a Post Office. It will be a good addition to the Modular street.

I really want a Post Office too.

3 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I really want a Post Office too.

I wouldn’t be mad at a post office! Not my first choice, though. I’m really curious on how they’re going to deal with the odd sixes AS. Are they going to make another modular that wide, or not even bother?

As I recall, it's the designer who picks what the building type is for the Modular...

• Astrid had an architectural background, so the NeoClassical Town Hall
  • Mike has a passion for cars, so an Art Deco car dealership that morphed to the Downtown Dinner due to scale issues with fitting a car inside the building
  • Florian had ties to legacy Octan branding/sets and so the Corner Garage
  • Wes had an upbringing with doll houses and so the Bookshop’s doll house like Turquoise Home

I’m not sure they listen to fan wishes in the case of Modulars.  If the designer name was leaked for the 2021 Modular, we might be able to speculate what Modular they might do or even the building style...  

As an example if it's Wes, I could imagine he might do an Art Nouveau inspired building...  My two cents for what it's worth...  Anyone know any leaks on the designer?

10 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Competition is strong. I've recently bought modulars from other brands instead of Lego sets I'm not interested in. My buying behavior has changed the last few months in a way that is unfavorable for Lego and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one because there's an increasing number of opportunities to buy sets from other brands and lots of people on YouTube & Co. promoting them. 

Lego has to change and offer a larger number of sets. They already starting doing that, everything is possible now. Even the least likely thing - a new AFOL train set - happend this year!

Me too.  The quality of the non-Lego sets has improved to a level where they are on an equal basis with Lego.  I started building modulars about 8 years ago.  When the non-Lego sets first appeared, they had ‘issues’.  Now, things are pretty much on an equal basis. Design, quality of brick and instruct books are great.  I generally buy from Amazon and avoid those offerings with long transit times.  Some of the non-Lego modulars are actually next day delivery through Amazon. If you collect Lego exclusively, fine.  If you simply enjoy modulars, well, there are options.  No disrespect to Lego or Lego collectors intended. Some of us need/want more than one modular a year.  Especially when the Lego release isn’t up to our individual standards. 

Edited by Options
Add word

7 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

As I recall, it's the designer who picks what the building type is for the Modular...

• Mike has a passion for cars, so an Art Deco car dealership that morphed to the Downtown Dinner due to scale issues with fitting a car inside the building
  • Wes had an upbringing with doll houses and so the Bookshop’s doll house like Turquoise Home

I’m not sure they listen to fan wishes in the case of Modulars.  If the designer name was leaked for the 2021 Modular, we might be able to speculate what Modular they might do or even the building style...  

As an example if it's Wes, I could imagine he might do an Art Nouveau inspired building...  My two cents for what it's worth...  Anyone know any leaks on the designer?

This is great insight. Is that the entire team now? Seems doubtful we'd get a leak surrounding WHO is working on the 2021 set. 

I also agree TLG will never ever make a modular from an Ideas set, they have in fact stated this is their rules regarding not producing things that the company already make. And although its nice to look at these very well put together modulars, anything that hits 10k supporters is basically an invitation to the clone brands to knock it off. 

Seeing as TLG keep putting out increasingly high value sets with confidence, I personally would love to see x2 modular buildings a year.

(I'm gonna count 123 Sesame Street this time around as it's going to be very easy to scale up)

14 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

Jamie always listens to the fans...

Edited by JintaiZ

I just got the LEGO Christmas catalogue a few days ago and the Downtown Diner is the only modular not there. The only ones advertised are AS, CG, and BS. I have to get it before it is completely gone.

19 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

I wouldn’t be mad at a post office! Not my first choice, though. I’m really curious on how they’re going to deal with the odd sixes AS. Are they going to make another modular that wide, or not even bother?

I think they could end up doing another modular that big for the next anniversary.

Just now, tsi said:

Looks like that the new china new year set 80107 can be fully integrated in the modular lane :-)

I’d be interested in seeing any images of this? 

On 11/2/2020 at 9:44 PM, Aanchir said:

Yep, that's the one. It's not super obvious since there was no brick lettering, printing, or interior furnishing to indicate what sort of business the blue house contained, but it had a sign with a croissant on it, and I'd prefer to believe that was intended as a bakery than as a second cafe released immediately after the first!

Ah, ok. I never really bothered with that one, so I wasn't aware of that deoration.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, Lego Conductor said:

Well now Bainter-ban we need a split modular, one side the Post Office and the other a County Election Board Office.

? looking forward to that set!

12 hours ago, tsi said:

Looks like that the new china new year set 80107 can be fully integrated in the modular lane :-)

It looks great. It makes me excited to see how the LEGO Gardens of Ninjago City will look like as a the next modular for ninja city and ninjago city docks. Has anybody else heard anything about the Gardens of Ninjago City?

9 hours ago, blondasek said:

It is perfect for China Town in US part of the modulars! :> Must have.

Maybe at a theme park like Disney Epcot. Modern china towns are not frozen in time.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, tsi said:

Saw this and just ordered the Temple Fair set from this year. Should take too much moding to make a little China Town area with those two. I hope we get more green spaces eventually, love how it will break up the space and make it more alive. 

15 hours ago, badbob001 said:

Maybe at a theme park like Disney Epcot. Modern china towns are not frozen in time.

Then again, the modulars are pretty old fashioned too. 

Edited by FrkW
Sp