The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

51 minutes ago, meliander said:

I hope you are right!

That being said, it doesn't make much sense to me why some of these in US have Temporarily Out of Stock status and not Backorder if they are making more. Why can't they accept people's money if they are ok with paying now and waiting? Probably because the quantity they are going to make will only cover those backorders that have been previously made? It's a perfect way to retire a set - place it on backorder, gather those orders, and just make the exact amount and ship them. Instead of making more than needed and then doing a sale on them. I understand that these are difficult times for any business but a little bit of communication from Lego would be nice or at least hinting better of what they are going to retire and then so that people can make calculated and budgeted purchases instead of guessing and making impulsive purchases. Please correct me, somebody, if I'm getting this wrong :)

I believe backorder is used when Lego can provide an accurate date when set will ship (presumably when sets exist but are in transit to various shipping centers) and out of stock is used when they can not (presumably because more sets need to be manufactured).  It happens very regularly that items that are not anywhere near retirement are listed as out of stock.  For example, three Star Wars helmets were released about two weeks ago.  For May 4th event, two are currently already listed as out of stock and one is listed as backordered.  All three will obviously be available for purchase for a long time to come.  As far as modulars, the only one currently available in US is the diner which is listed as backorder.  The garage, bookstore and Assembly Square will be available again even though currently listed as out of stock.  The Parisian restaurant is still listed but described as retiring soon and won't be back as it retired December 2019.  If one looks around the internet, there are sites that list which sets are expected to or known to be retiring.

Thank you, @Friscorays I did a search and a lot of websites (mainly made for resellers) are telling that Assembly Square is very likely to be the next one to be retired.

For those looking to pick up Corner Garage and Bookshop, they are currently back up for "Backorder" at the US shop.lego.com site. Assembly Square and the Diner are currently listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock". If you're desperate for a particular set that is not officially retired, it might be worth checking daily.

Regarding @legotownlinz 's comment, I think TLG may wish they'd put out a 400+ piece Modular this year, because it would be selling like hotcakes given the current situation in the world! :laugh:  Instead, they are using a few of their production lines to make face-shields for medical workers during these trying times, for which they are to be commended.  But I do hope they get their backorder & temporarily-out-of-stock sets back online at some point, since many of their stores aren't open just yet and I'm sure some of those sets are sitting in those dark storerooms, all alone with no one to build them ... so sad :cry2: 

On 5/5/2020 at 12:24 PM, autolycus said:

For those looking to pick up Corner Garage and Bookshop, they are currently back up for "Backorder" at the US shop.lego.com site. Assembly Square and the Diner are currently listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock". If you're desperate for a particular set that is not officially retired, it might be worth checking daily.

Saw the bookstore was on backorder and put my order in. Won't ship for 2 months but at least I have my place in line.

What do people think of the new haunted house?

it looks about as easy to make modular as the old monster fighters mansion, the lift shaft looks like it’d be a fun build in particular....

I had no clue it was a thing until today, and I have to say wow that's impressive. People's wallets are going to be crying with all the sets they are putting out. 

23 hours ago, jonahtron said:

it looks about as easy to make modular as the old monster fighters mansion, the lift shaft looks like it’d be a fun build in particular....

I’m quite excited. Although I have no clue where I’m going to put it. For one, space is crucial at this point & I’m not real sure I’ll find a spot to place it.  I did have the thought of making it a “vacation” home for Bruce Wayne, outside of Gotham. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:42 AM, jonahtron said:

Awesome! It makes me long for the days when Modulars were singular / sole-purpose, impressive buildings. And when we got great looking, fully-enclosed residential buildings in the Creator line.

I have my modules lit up with LED kits, but haven’t mastered functions yet, this may well be the set to hook me on power functions 

On 5/10/2020 at 3:42 PM, jonahtron said:

It looks amazing, but it has some display challenges. In case anyone missed it, it's taller than the D2C Ninjago City. Which means my display options for it will be very limited unless I get out the hammer and saw. 

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:

It looks amazing, but it has some display challenges. In case anyone missed it, it's taller than the D2C Ninjago City. Which means my display options for it will be very limited unless I get out the hammer and saw. 

I knew it is tall, but I didn't realise it's taller than Ninjago City. :o

My other thought on the new Haunted House is it would make a fantastic starting point for a Modular Church for your city. 

Is Creator Expert being retired? If so, will the modulars still exist? 

Edited by Lego-fire

4 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

Is creator expert being retired? If so, will the modular is still exist? 

That theme is being retired, yes. However the products of that theme will still exist, e.g. the new Haunted House is listed under the Creator Expert theme on the LEGO website. But on the box it doesn't say Creator Expert anymore. So Modulars will still exist, just without having the theme Creator Expert on the box. Perhaps it'll say something like 'The Modulars Collection' like they put 'The Fairground Collection' on the Haunted House.

5 minutes ago, Salix said:

That theme is being retired, yes. However the products of that theme will still exist, e.g. the new Haunted House is listed under the Creator Expert theme on the LEGO website. But on the box it doesn't say Creator Expert anymore. So Modulars will still exist, just without having the theme Creator Expert on the box. Perhaps it'll say something like 'The Modulars Collection' like they put 'The Fairground Collection' on the Haunted House.

I see, that’s good :pir-huzzah1:

15 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

Is Creator Expert being retired? If so, will the modulars still exist? 

The modulars existed before Creator Expert, they will exist after.

Info for US: If someone is interested in getting the Assembly Square, it re-appeared today at Lego Shop (online). It is available for backorder only but after several months of being out of stock, it's better than nothing IMO.

18 hours ago, meliander said:

Info for US: If someone is interested in getting the Assembly Square, it re-appeared today at Lego Shop (online). It is available for backorder only but after several months of being out of stock, it's better than nothing IMO.

Looks like a few sets that were out of stock are now either available or on backorder. I guess the Mexico plant is ramping up production.

What do you think the box art will look like for future modulars? Do you expect TLG to use the bland 18+ style or to keep the usual street background?

I hope the box art stays colorful. I'd be surprised if they were even marketed as 18+ sets.

9 hours ago, Terrasher said:

What do you think the box art will look like for future modulars? Do you expect TLG to use the bland 18+ style or to keep the usual street background?

I hope the box art stays colorful. I'd be surprised if they were even marketed as 18+ sets.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm pretty sure all new sets that would previously come out under Creator Expert, will be now be a black 18+ box.

I'm sure Lego had a team of genius marketing nerds go over those black boxes 1000 times

..But I like the colorful classic ones

2 hours ago, Merlict said:

I'm sure Lego had a team of genius marketing nerds go over those black boxes 1000 times

..But I like the colorful classic ones

Same.