The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

4 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

I agree, in the past these sets have offered some rarer colours of baseplates.  Green is a tad safe.

Thankfully it's only the basement now that we have seen more pictures and videos. Plus the pet Shop had green baseplates too, so maybe trying to match that.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, legomaniacj said:

[Solid Brix Studios] Watch the review here.... sorry if this is already posted as I haven't read through all the comments yet. 

You'd think if TLG is going to hand over an expensive set like that for free before anyone else gets it he could at least get the retail price correct. Must be nice to not know what the things you have actually cost to all the regulars. *huh*

4 hours ago, koalayummies said:

You'd think if TLG is going to hand over an expensive set like that for free before anyone else gets it he could at least get the retail price correct. Must be nice to not know what the things you have actually cost to all the regulars. *huh*

I have never seen that guy before, I have never heard of that website, but I will never go back. Not only was the reviewer wrong about the cost, but it was poorly made video. Like someone in middle school setting up a YouTube channel. I'm curious at what level does LEGO send you free LEGO? Like when Brickiest does any review, LEGO sent them a free set. I would be much kinder in the review.

3 hours ago, Maple said:

I have never seen that guy before, I have never heard of that website, but I will never go back. Not only was the reviewer wrong about the cost, but it was poorly made video. Like someone in middle school setting up a YouTube channel. I'm curious at what level does LEGO send you free LEGO? Like when Brickiest does any review, LEGO sent them a free set. I would be much kinder in the review.

Yeah its weird, they gave the set in advance for the review so did they give bad press notes as well? Went to sleep thinking it was $200 based off that video. And if it is free and you get to keep it it does seem like a payment for endorsement. I don't typically watch review videos but Jangbricks is pretty good. That Adsense money also looks like nice living.

57 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah its weird, they gave the set in advance for the review so did they give bad press notes as well? Went to sleep thinking it was $200 based off that video. And if it is free and you get to keep it it does seem like a payment for endorsement. I don't typically watch review videos but Jangbricks is pretty good. That Adsense money also looks like nice living.

I only watch Jangbricks because he buys his sets, so the cost is included in the review. I can't stand the Garage set, more so at an outrageous $200. However if LEGO set me a free one I'd spend 99% of the time praising how it's different and cool and whatever. Then 1% of the time on the cost and the blahs.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:21 AM, Fuppylodders said:

UCS falcon, system scale falcon out at the same time. No problems there :def_shrug:

In such case, no one, or at least not nearly as many, really builds an environment around them like for city sets.

The SW vehicles are really meant for display and not much else so they are targeted more as items for collectors. Also, there is a much bigger difference in price between the UCS falcon and the system one compared to a modular fire station and city fire station, making them quite distant in this regard.

This is quite different from lego cities where also children may be involved and you can actually build a whole town without spending too much.

12 hours ago, Strakk said:

In such case, no one, or at least not nearly as many, really builds an environment around them like for city sets.

The SW vehicles are really meant for display and not much else so they are targeted more as items for collectors. Also, there is a much bigger difference in price between the UCS falcon and the system one compared to a modular fire station and city fire station, making them quite distant in this regard.

This is quite different from lego cities where also children may be involved and you can actually build a whole town without spending too much.

Doesn't mean there's any less bought. SW has a much larger audience than modulars. 

System falcon is much more versatile than a city fire station in that its a decent play set that can be played with, and swooshed and displayed, and the fact they literally don't have a break from one iteration to the next clearly shows they're still very popular and widely bought. Modulars are just as much collectable as ucs. And we already know how popular the UCS MF was. 

The cost for them nowadays, clearly not an issue. 

The 2 situations are not as different as you make out. 

21 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Doesn't mean there's any less bought. SW has a much larger audience than modulars. 

System falcon is much more versatile than a city fire station in that its a decent play set that can be played with, and swooshed and displayed, and the fact they literally don't have a break from one iteration to the next clearly shows they're still very popular and widely bought. Modulars are just as much collectable as ucs. And we already know how popular the UCS MF was. 

The cost for them nowadays, clearly not an issue. 

The 2 situations are not as different as you make out. 

I believe I was not able to convey my point, so I repeat it. The key point is the town building aspect.

In my original post, I said that compared to other themes modular buildings (creator expert) and city overlap much more than other combinations. I think that is evident why.

Then, I suggested that, as we get a modular building per year, maybe LEGO would not want to release the same kind of building from both the creator expert line and the city line (one of the largest of the wave) within the same semester.

I made an example saying that, as police stations are pretty popular with kids and they may be building a lego town, the parents, who may be buying sets from the creator expert line too, may either postpone or dismiss the idea of buying another police station which would cost more. It is likely that the best set would be the one from the creator expert line, but having playability in mind, they could opt for the city one. That is it.

I do not completely agree with what you said. We agree on the fact that SW is much more popular than modular buildings.  But SW big sets are mainly thought for collectors and not for 6-year-old children as city are. They are quite expensive compared to what you get in other themes with the same price and I doubt the average parents buy primarily SW sets for the children. That is why, in my opinion, the comparison does not hold up. Also, the cost may not be an issue for collectors, but 100 euro/pounds/dollars is not an amount of money that anyone can spend twice in a row, especially for toys.  

So what I would like to know what is next year's modular with whatever car Lego picked out.

Or is it to early to start speculating on the 2021 modular?

2 hours ago, Strakk said:

I believe I was not able to convey my point, so I repeat it. The key point is the town building aspect.

In my original post, I said that compared to other themes modular buildings (creator expert) and city overlap much more than other combinations. I think that is evident why.

Then, I suggested that, as we get a modular building per year, maybe LEGO would not want to release the same kind of building from both the creator expert line and the city line (one of the largest of the wave) within the same semester.

I made an example saying that, as police stations are pretty popular with kids and they may be building a lego town, the parents, who may be buying sets from the creator expert line too, may either postpone or dismiss the idea of buying another police station which would cost more. It is likely that the best set would be the one from the creator expert line, but having playability in mind, they could opt for the city one. That is it.

I do not completely agree with what you said. We agree on the fact that SW is much more popular than modular buildings.  But SW big sets are mainly thought for collectors and not for 6-year-old children as city are. They are quite expensive compared to what you get in other themes with the same price and I doubt the average parents buy primarily SW sets for the children. That is why, in my opinion, the comparison does not hold up. Also, the cost may not be an issue for collectors, but 100 euro/pounds/dollars is not an amount of money that anyone can spend twice in a row, especially for toys.  

Nah. 

I disagree. Lego are big enough they could easily release an overlap and have no problem selling both. Plenty of children would get a City police station (example) to play with in their 'city', plenty of modular collectors would get a modular police station. Plenty would also upgrade from a city police station to the modular. 

Plenty would also buy both to incorporate both. 

Lego have us by the balls, and know they'd have no problem with that kind of overlap. 

I have posted on this topic before in regards to a Police Station.  I collect Modulars and not the City Theme.  I would like a Modular Police Station.  In 2009 10197 Fire Brigade was released.  In City 7208 Fire Station was also released.  So Lego has released in both themes before.  It could do it again.  

If it was done in the right architectural style I would very much be interested in a modular police station to go alongside all the many City police stations I own. (and the new police stuff from next year that I will be buying for my collection)

Edited by jonwil

16 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Or is it to early to start speculating on the 2021 modular?

It's never too early :sweet:

12 minutes ago, pooda said:

I hope its a bus terminal.

I think there is a siginificant difference between what AFOLs would expect from a modular bus terminal and what LEGO could realistically do within the limitations of the Modular Buildings format. For instance, if I wanted a modular bus terminal, I would expect the following:

• big footprint – a couple of platforms and a waiting area;
  • buses – at least one and able to fit at least 4 minifigs, but preferrably more;
  • interesting exterior and interior.

To me, that sounds like A LOT of bricks. To stay within the 2500 or even 3000 pieces limit would require to a) make it single-story, and now it does not fit well with other modulars, and/or b) exclude the bus, which the customers would definitely expect to have. Assembly Square could afford using 4000 only as a celebratory set. And I know that the idea of having to buy a separate bus set would not be very popular – some people were quite upset with the designer video for the Bookshop, which suggested buying 2 of them to make a larger version of the set, as if LEGO acknowledged that it is not big enough as is and you have to pay extra to get a proper version. I am sure both LEGO and most Modular Buildings fans would prefer a detailed set based on a smaller building to a set based on a large building but lacking proper detail and/or size.

On the other hand, perhaps LEGO should challenge AFOLs and change what Modular Buildings are. They kind of hinted at that, so I will be glad if I am wrong and LEGO manage to produce a proper bus terminal. And while I was writing this, it also occurred to me that if you squint hard enough you could almost see a bus terminal in the Fire Brigade, and that one wasn't bad at all!

1 minute ago, pooda said:

Whenever I recommend something related to a bus, how come someone always disappoints?

Not at all, I think that LEGO definitely should have more public transportation in City. The few bus sets that we had were great, but why are they so few? And where are taxis? I think there hasn't been a single standalone taxi set – we only got them in rather big sets.

I only worry that a modular bus terminal could be underwhelming at 2500 pieces, and we would all prefer it to be done right.

1 minute ago, imvanya said:

Not at all, I think that LEGO definitely should have more public transportation in City. The few bus sets that we had were great, but why are they so few? And where are taxis? I think there hasn't been a single standalone taxi set – we only got them in rather big sets.

Yeah! I'm disappointed in all children across the globe. How are they not interested in the Transit system? It could be interesting. 

City subtheme idea for 2021: Transit. 

1 minute ago, imvanya said:

I only worry that a modular bus terminal could be underwhelming at 2500 pieces, and we would all prefer it to be done right.

With Modulars, all things are possible. Since modulars are targeted towards adults, it should be it's own theme. Modulars respectively. 

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Whenever I recommend something related to a bus, how come someone always disappoints? 

Because buses are insanely boring. Nobody wants to ride the bus. The bus is only ridden for lack of other means or options. Especially in the United States the city bus is more a constant reminder of economic/income inequality and housing cost issues than it is of a city service. The only buses people want to ride are tourists visiting London that want pictures of those ancient red double-decker buses.

11 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Because buses are insanely boring. 

Not in the movie "Speed!" :laugh:

Just now, Pdaitabird said:

Not in the movie "Speed!" :laugh:

Or if you look at the bus rodeos and races on YouTube that they have across the country. 

35 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Because buses are insanely boring. Nobody wants to ride the bus. The bus is only ridden for lack of other means or options. Especially in the United States the city bus is more a constant reminder of economic/income inequality and housing cost issues than it is of a city service. The only buses people want to ride are tourists visiting London that want pictures of those ancient red double-decker buses.

I disagree with this; I live in a major US city, and the public transit (Bus, light rail, etc) are much faster than attempting to drive into downtown and find parking, as well as paying a lot of money for it. It's nice to just relax and play on my phone or read while the bus takes me to work. Sure, occasionally there are mentally ill and homeless people doing things like threatening you or having a wank, but overall taking a bus is a much better option than driving even for those who can afford to drive. 

3 minutes ago, Carefree_Dude said:

I disagree with this; I live in a major US city, and the public transit (Bus, light rail, etc) are much faster than attempting to drive into downtown and find parking, as well as paying a lot of money for it. It's nice to just relax and play on my phone or read while the bus takes me to work. Sure, occasionally there are mentally ill and homeless people doing things like threatening you or having a wank, but overall taking a bus is a much better option than driving even for those who can afford to drive. 

LOL! If you live in places like New York City, Washington DC (which is where I live) or Chicago, your best bet is to take public transportation. Especially if you want to evade traffic or pay really high parking fees. So with that being said, the transit system is a civilian service that is just as essential to city life as much as a cop, a firefighter a doctor or any other major job that is showcased properly in any Lego town-related theme. 

Edited by pooda