The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

11 minutes ago, Options said:

Lego also knows there are ‘completists’ like me who would buy the next modular if it has a triangular baseplate and was all black bricks with no windows.  Why?   It’s a lego modular.  While frequently being a critic of lego and not being a ‘lego or nothing cultist’, I’m clearly addicted to the modular building series.  Just as a historical reference, while this new offering will be released (most probably) in January, some of the earlier models had March (and other months) release dates.  Wikipedia shows the release date for most modulars. Just offered as a historical reference, not implying your wait will be longer than expected.

Best wishes to all and I hope the new modular lives up to your expectations.

The same for me concerning the addiction, a constructive one I might add ! I wish for the inside variety  (school, hospital), but if it is anything else as a theme, at least some classic and building with plenty of ornaments for the wow factor would be a good compensation

22 minutes ago, Options said:

Lego also knows there are ‘completists’ like me who would buy the next modular if it has a triangular baseplate and was all black bricks with no windows.  Why?   It’s a lego modular.  While frequently being a critic of lego and not being a ‘lego or nothing cultist’, I’m clearly addicted to the modular building series.  Just as a historical reference, while this new offering will be released (most probably) in January, some of the earlier models had March (and other months) release dates.  Wikipedia shows the release date for most modulars. Just offered as a historical reference, not implying your wait will be longer than expected.

All the modulars from Parisian Restaurant till now have been released on the 1st of January, IIRC...

Uh, that’s why I said ‘historical reference’.  Again, all release dates are easily found on the internet. And, apparently, January 1 is the launch date for modulars even though it hasn’t always been that way.  For example, PC had a March release date.  Again, that’s just a looking back reference not a theory or implication that any date in the future will be any date other than January 1st. It’s probably a good date for Lego.  A nice sales boost after the Christmas holiday sales are over. 

Edited by Options

3 hours ago, Gnukan said:

I think he meant ”leak it already!” rather than ”there’s already a leak!”

Thanks for explaining :thumbup:
My bad :blush:

I look for leaks everyday, but if Lego manage to contain all leaks for a set then good for them :classic: I will gladly wait until the official press release to see it in all its glory :excited:

3 hours ago, Options said:

I would buy some triangular base plates, those could be handy to have.  Wish they would release some 1/2 curve and diagonal road plates too.

Edited by CSW652

27 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

I would buy some triangular base plates, those could be handy to have.  Wish they would release some 1/2 curve and diagonal road plates too.

Oh yeah, all the town squares near my home are messy intersections with buildings of wildly varying shapes. I've spent a ton of time sketching out ideas for rounded or wedge-shaped modulars and would buy official baseplates to help with it

5 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

I'd definitely buy something with a triangular baseplate...

A modular scale Lego Flat Iron tribute would be pretty sweet

On 12/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, pooda said:

Wasn't that covered with the Cafe Corner and Grand Emporium? 

I was thinking more a themed hotel, like the Legoland Hotel. I guess toy store was kind of covered but it was a loooong time ago and most people don’t have that set. :classic:

We've had DD shortly after PR, so it seems like wishful thinking that Lego wouldn't repeat a "type" of an establishment, considering there plenty of ways to differentiate them (as seen in PR vs DD).

Many of the comments point to an interesting question.  At what point does a set that was retired many years ago become largely irrelevant to future planning by lego?  The first modular says ‘hotel’ on the front of the building.  But, it was a more basic product lacking interior detail.   Should/could/ there be a newer and more complete hotel since the 2007 hotel (Corner Cafe) was retired long ago, lacks design features of current modulars and many, many new collectors have entered the hobby since modulars began and after many modulars were retired.

I entered the hobby after the first three modulars were retired.  Fortunately, I’ve managed to secure complete versions of the sets I missed.  But what about someone who enters the hobby now and doesn’t have many of the earlier buildings?

This isn’t about hotels as the subject of a set.  That was just an example. Nor is it supposed to be relevant to new releases of the same Star Wars object.  The  X-wing is the X-wing.  Some minor changes in new releases, but the ‘look’ is essentially  identical. It’s about bringing back any former building theme after it’s been retired. Not a remake of an old set. But a totally new hotel, restaurant, department store or whatever.

Just asking the question.

4 minutes ago, Options said:

Many of the comments point to an interesting question.  At what point does a set that was retired many years ago become largely irrelevant to future planning by lego?  The first modular says ‘hotel’ on the front of the building.  But, it was a more basic product lacking interior detail.   Should/could/ there be a newer and more complete hotel since the 2007 hotel (Corner Cafe) was retired long ago, lacks design features of current modulars and many, many new collectors have entered the hobby since modulars began and after many modulars were retired.

I entered the hobby after the first three modulars were retired.  Fortunately, I’ve managed to secure complete versions of the sets I missed.  But what about someone who enters the hobby now and doesn’t have many of the earlier buildings?

This isn’t about hotels as the subject of a set.  That was just an example. Nor is it supposed to be relevant to new releases of the same Star Wars object.  The  X-wing is the X-wing.  Some minor changes in new releases, but the ‘look’ is essentially  identical. It’s about bringing back any former building theme after it’s been retired. Not a remake of an old set. But a totally new hotel, restaurant, department store or whatever.

Just asking the question.

I like this idea as I missed the green grocer and the cafe corner (I think that was the hotel) there was one more in there too that was blue I believe. Anyway, I had the green grocer on my list for Christmas one year, back when the website wasn't really a thing and there was just the call in magazine/catalog. And when my dad went to order it, it was retired so he got me the fire brigade instead. I get a set every year for Christmas just about and this year I got the gingerbread house but he got it for me early saying I needed it now for my winter village. I wish those two in particular would come back but be different, different color, more details for the cafe corner, etc., not because I missed out on getting them, but more so because getting any set after it is retired, new in box cost a small fortune. 

If I entered the lego modular hobby now, I think 10 sets are retired and I’d have to sell a kidney to afford all of them.  One other option would be for lego to use pick-a-brick.  One click and they would sell you all of the pieces required for a retired set. I know, I know....some pieces are no longer made. You’d be on your own for those. Substitute or buy retired pieces in the secondary market.  Instructions for retired modulars are easily found on the Lego website or through a google search.

click

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

I was thinking more a themed hotel, like the Legoland Hotel. I guess toy store was kind of covered but it was a loooong time ago and most people don’t have that set. :classic:

Ah! Well then with that being said, I think it could be a go. 

I found this image from Korean Lego youtube creator, saying the image will be unveiled at 2pm GMT 6 Dec with clue key words 'Petshop' and 'Bookstore'

Seems like box art of 2020 Modular set with blue line on right hand side with white blurred thing (expert logo??) . Since one of key words 'petshop,' is mentioned, probably 2 separated building type?

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyPNO9WlGuJZ-J5Rgd4AaABCQ

unnamed.png

Edited by jaesroe

14 minutes ago, jaesroe said:

I found this image from Korean Lego youtube creator, saying the image will be unveiled at 2pm GMT 6 Dec with clue key words 'Petshop' and 'Bookstore'

Seems like box art of 2020 Modular set with blue line on right hand side with white blurred thing (expert logo??) . Since one of key words 'petshop,' is mentioned, probably 2 separated building type?

unnamed.png

We can hope. It would be nice to get another split building like the Pet Shop. Plus that would make sense. I keep picturing this as a small cluttered Old English Bookstore. Something Like Azeriphale's shop in Good Omens. With some other shop or townhouse next store. 

23 minutes ago, jaesroe said:

unnamed.png

Ohh good lord I can’t wait! Wicked excited!

Yeah Parisian Restaurant vibes for sure! Looks like a blue roof of some kind. And the brown building on the left looks like it has some green awning type thing maybe over the front window (s) display, I can't tell if it's a red roof or if it's one of those dutch gable facades like the houses in Amsterdam. And then that red dot way out to the left, maybe a sign of some sort? There's sure a lot of white/grey pixels in that column on the left side. 

I'm having a hard time seeing (obviously) the left edge of the building. Is that light grey column really the edge of the set? Or is the yellow, red, brown and green section on its left also part of the set? The background looks like a sunset, which I find odd, since the only set without the usual neutral daytime background is the Palace Cinema. I guess we'll find out in 9-ish hours.