The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

13 minutes ago, Perolav said:

Do you guys actually think that the competition car are going to be a part off the 2020 modular set? I think that Lego need quite some time before they are able to inlude the car.

It’s more likely to be a gift with purchase item, perhaps by February.  They’ll want to check things carefully first

I imagine it'd take a good few months to get the winning car into production and distribution.

Here's a thought... Within the contest requirements (Overall coolness and originality: 25% Most inspired details: 25%  Relevance to contest theme: 25%  Best use of LEGO elements: 25%  ) It would seem a no-brainer that the 15 selected by LEGO would all fit with past and future Modular themes. Of the 15 that LEGO have deemed appropriate-

6 are Utilities/ delivery/pickup

4 are classic/ early 20th century

2 are police

3 50s-60s sports/racer cars

Speculating here just for fun, I'm going to say that there's a 60% chance we'll see some sort of practical business where a delivery vehicle would be relevant.

My deduced guess: An old timey Mom and Pop Americana style grocery/ deli store with home shopping delivery, which would be visually very different to the Green Grocer due to the era etc but not different enough to stuff us moaning about it!

This isn't what I'd necessarily like to see... but my best guess due to LEGO are favouring the truck/delivery vehicle.

34 minutes ago, imvanya said:

Here is what the contest rules state:

So it will be a separate set, and you are right – it is unlikely that LEGO will be able to finalize the set before the release of the new Modular Building. But who knows?

But to finilize the Competition car with building intructions and box will take wery long time. My guess 6 mnd's

On 11/4/2019 at 9:51 PM, crowe-k said:

A book shop would be great, although I envision an older type building rather than a modern outlet type bookstore. I think there is a lot of potential with a book shop.

some websites already have received a review copy of the modular but keep their lips sealed. 

1 hour ago, jonahtron said:

Speculating here just for fun, I'm going to say that there's a 60% chance we'll see some sort of practical business where a delivery vehicle would be relevant.

I think it would also make sense to take into account previous Modular Building sets. If you consider something less generic than a regular civilian car, a delivery truck is what could complement most of them. Unlike a civilian or sports car, it can be integrated nicely into a layout with goods being loaded into our out of it (think Green Grocer's, Pet Shop, Parisian Restaurant, the Assembly Square bakery and so on). Admittedly, Corner Garage has a gas station, which would be a natural backdrop for any vehicle.

As to police cars, I think they are a little bit too specific. Yes, a city would have a police force, but apart from the Brick Bank's money laundering scheme and Mission Impossible-style robbers, the crime level seems pretty low. Sure, there's also that cookie affair in Detective's Office, but the P.I. should be able to figure that one out on his own.

I wonder why none of the taxi entries made it. A taxi seems like another obvious vehicle to fit any Modular Building and introduce a small interactive scene. And it's not like we had many taxis in LEGO City – very similar builds in 2 Train Station sets 7937 and 60050 and Donut Shop Opening 60233:

7937-0000-xx-14-1.jpg

60050_main.jpg

60233-1.jpg?201905140825

Police, on the other hand... @pooda can tell you all about it :wink: Perhaps, we are getting a taxi in a Modular Building set? I feel that they could (re)use the LEGO City Undercover design:

maxresdefault.jpg

Nothing but speculation on my side, obviously, and I'm also biased – my 2 entries in the contest were a delivery truck and a taxi :laugh:

Edited by imvanya

I think Brickmerge just leaked the name of the new Modular Building.

Spoiler

LEGO® Creator Expert 10270 Buchhandlung (library/book store?)

29 minutes ago, BrickJonas said:

Hide contents

Omg. *huh**oh2**huh* We are getting close. It's so exciting.

45 minutes ago, BrickJonas said:

Reveal hidden contents

interesting....

Bookstore eh ?

Great......I bet another cafe serving coffee with it LOL

The question is what building style will it be in ?

18 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Bookstore eh ?

Great......I bet another cafe serving coffee with it LOL

The question is what building style will it be in ?

My guess would be a more classic building than the previous ones - either a classic European or American bookstore.

I hope it's filled with secrets and small stories. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the last few modulars were build around a theme where we also got a collectible minifigure from. In one of the CMF-series, we got a waitress on rollerskates, from a typical diner. And we have the diner. We also had a vet (Corner Garage), baker (Assembly Square), boxer (Diner), a barista (Assembly Square),...

Since there are rumours of it being a bookshop or library: perhaps the librarian from the CMF-series will be next to get a building?

Edited by Fabulandlover

Ah, the nerdy girl she did look like a librarian too........hmm, I wonder if the collectable series are leads into future new sets or theme ideas ?

I really hope it's gonna fit the current modular's style! The question is are they going into classic or more fancy style? 

1 hour ago, adwind said:

I really hope it's gonna fit the current modular's style! The question is are they going into classic or more fancy style? 

please be more classic style than previous Diner or Corner Garage. I do wish Jamie had done the design!!!!

I agree Jamie had exactly the right style down. The first few were almost too big. Jamie got it just right. While I think the diner looks nice, it's design was weird with the staircase and almost corner building but not quiet and the garage minus garage is also nice. :)

But I'm more curious to price. LEGO made a heck of a jump from $170 to $200 that was not warranted. The Parisian Restaurant at S@H was $112USD (30%) off, Walmart had it briefly at 12:30 for $105. Amazon at 3am had it for $89! I could have gotten it for $85 with cash back. Will another set be $200 or more just so in a couple years when it retires LEGO can sell it for 30-40% off, aka the price it should have been in the first place?

Edited by Maple

The suspense is killing me - I love the idea of a library / bookstore since we haven't gotten one before, but it seems like we have no idea what style the building will be. 

7 hours ago, merman said:

some websites already have received a review copy of the modular but keep their lips sealed. 

Well then I wish I was one of those websites. :laugh:

1 hour ago, thenightman89 said:

The suspense is killing me

It’s killing everyone. :pir-murder: (love that emoji by the way :laugh:) 11 recent browsing members and probably a few dozen lurkers. No surprises to me it’s a bookstore, someone already wrote was going to be a bookstore according to their local store manager. That was exactly 4 weeks ago. I know that guy was telling the truth because the same thing happened with the Corner Garage; someone wrote that their store manager told them the 2019 modular was going to be a garage with a pet shop above 3 months before the reveal of the CG. 

I love the idea of a library / bookstore since we haven't gotten one before, but it seems like we have no idea what style the building will be. 

Me too, I love the idea. So much potential with the architectural style but my biggest hope is Art Nouveau! :classic: There’s an idea I don’t like at all though - it’s to keep this modular so secret for so long... :cry_sad:

The suspense is killing me - I love the idea of a library / bookstore since we haven't gotten one before, but it seems like we have no idea what style the building will be. 

On the other hand, it's probably the most exciting time now... so kind of enjoy! )))

Ok, Assuming its a bookstore/library, What’s going to be the secondary shop.  The optometrist idea that was floated before has merit, but seems a little obvious.  The secondary businesses have been anachronistic to the primary in the most recent modulars.  I mean, gym over recording studio over a diner.  Vets above a garage.  

I hope the style is at least interesting, and not so ‘plain’ as i found the garage to be.

I'm not guessing, but I thought it would be pretty cool to have a 2 levels stylish leaving space with big windows like lofts or something, party terrace, you know? ) Maybe a bit out of time range, but I can see cool possibilities there ) 

Bookstore / optometrist will be more likely that teo bussines combo. It will have that typical lego joke like bank / laundromat or secret cookies bakery / detective office... Still I am curious how it will look like. Mostly colour, facade and shape :)

Edited by Blazej_Holen

I think it will be a bookstore and not a library. So my guess would be a two story bookstore on one side, coffee shop on the bottom, eye doctors and apartments above. Maybe wishful thinking. I'm fine with apartments.

Or a book store next to an arcade would be fun.

4 minutes ago, Maple said:

I think it will be a bookstore and not a library. So my guess would be a two story bookstore on one side, coffee shop on the bottom, eye doctors and apartments above. Maybe wishful thinking. I'm fine with apartments.

Or a book store next to an arcade would be fun.

I like your guess and I would be absolutely satisfied if that turns out to be true! :)

I think it will have 2 buildings like the pet shop :wink:
A bookstore sounds nice :sweet:

Hopefully some animals in the set :shrug_oh_well:

25 minutes ago, adwind said:

I like your guess and I would be absolutely satisfied if that turns out to be true! :)

I would not. Too many bussineses or split houses like Pet Shop means too crowdy tiny space with less details and room for figs. Bleee :)

Edited by Blazej_Holen