The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 11/8/2019 at 8:13 PM, RuffDraft said:

Haha! I'm sorry. I don't mean to crush anyone's dreams. I hope for you that it's a Soda Shop! I've just never heard of one... in comparison to every other modular building, whereby I know what it is, regardless of which country it belongs to.... if that makes sense? Whereas I think a lot of Europeans might look at it with raised eyebrows, like, "What is it?" But it's cool... I'm all for whatever it is! 

Ahhh OK! That makes more sense. Thanks for explaining! 

A Soda Shop was an evolution of a "Counter Dining" establishment. Back in the day you couldn't just buy a bottle of Coke Cola. You would go to a Soda shop and the Soda Jerk would mix you up a glass. Think of it as a sort of pub for non alcoholic things and ice cream. Often they were part of Pharmacy's. (In fact the Modular Pharmacy plans in the book The Lego Neighborhood build a nice Pharmacy/Soda shop.), Most of the old Soda Shops evolved into either Ice Cream shops or Hamburger joints. You would probably know one if you saw one. There is a seen in one in Back to the Future/Back to the Future 2. 

On 11/9/2019 at 1:26 AM, nikhkin said:

Nope, that's another idea I'm not familiar with. If  I need snacks I would just go to Tesco or another supermarket. Probably the equivalent of your smaller grocery stores. 

With the majority of Lego designers being European, I would expect the modular to either have a theme seen in Europe (as with the Petrol station, fire station etc), or be something that is recognisable from American media (like a Diner was) even though it isn't a common feature here. 

Oddly the Corner Garage and the Fire Brigade are 2 of the most American style buildings in the entire line. 

8 hours ago, Faefrost said:

A Soda Shop was an evolution of a "Counter Dining" establishment. Back in the day you couldn't just buy a bottle of Coke Cola. You would go to a Soda shop and the Soda Jerk would mix you up a glass. Think of it as a sort of pub for non alcoholic things and ice cream. Often they were part of Pharmacy's. (In fact the Modular Pharmacy plans in the book The Lego Neighborhood build a nice Pharmacy/Soda shop.), Most of the old Soda Shops evolved into either Ice Cream shops or Hamburger joints. You would probably know one if you saw one. There is a seen in one in Back to the Future/Back to the Future 2. 

Oddly the Corner Garage and the Fire Brigade are 2 of the most American style buildings in the entire line. 

Yeah, and the Fire Brigade flies the American flag.  You could argue that a lot of the buildings are representative of European and North American styles, but the Fire Brigade, in particular, is especially American.

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:

They are definitely the most American in terms of style, but the concept is still known worldwide. 

A "soda shop" isn't something that would sell as well internationally, simply because it isn't a well known concept. Plus we're a bit overrun with eateries so far. 

7 hours ago, TheBuilder said:

PR tagged retiring soon.

It better is. Assembly Square would truly suck!

Phew! We still have time to save for Assembly Square! I hope it's going to be around for the whole year, and not until spring or something...

Don't know if this has already been posted (sorry if it was) but came across this video while searching about the new modular and thought I would share it:

Edited by LegoModularFan

I have a feeling that PR will last a long time before going to "sold out" on S@H.

Let's see how long it takes and what happens afterwards. Prices may not spike, the market is probably saturated. 

But again, it's considered the best modular ever...

Edited by TheBuilder
Typo

21 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Don't know if this has already been posted (sorry if it was) but came across this video while searching about the new modular and thought I would share it:

Back on page 323.

18 hours ago, TheBuilder said:

Let's see how long it takes and what happens afterwards. Prices may not spike, the market is probably saturated. 

But again, it's considered the best modular ever...

Market may be saturated but when PR is sold out the second market will be way overpriced.

The Bank sold out in <40 minutes at S@H. As soon as Amazon ran out of stock the price hasn't been lower than $300.

Buy soon or risk buying double.

PR tagged retiring soon for 3-4 days now, no "backorder accepted" let alone "sold out"...

I think Bank was succesful because it broke the cycle and retired unexpectedly. 

40 minutes ago, TheBuilder said:

PR tagged retiring soon for 3-4 days now, no "backorder accepted" let alone "sold out"...

I think Bank was succesful because it broke the cycle and retired unexpectedly. 

Because it's not on sale yet. It will be on sale at some point this month for at least 20% off. When it's gone then it's gone.

I like the 'logic' of LEGO fans. If the set retires early, it must be popular. If it retires early maybe it wasn't as popular so LEGO decided not to make more of the set. Maybe it just had a piece that was no longer being used, the mold broke, and therefor they couldn't make more.

5 hours ago, Maple said:

The Bank sold out in <40 minutes at S@H. As soon as Amazon ran out of stock the price hasn't been lower than $300.

Buy soon or risk buying double.

Not necessarily. I was one of many who missed out on the BB when it was sold out and retired. Months later amazon had it in stock at its regular price and I got it, but they sold out quick. I was lucky.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:18 AM, CSW652 said:

Back on page 323.

Oops, sorry. My bad. I hope it served as a reminder at least...

Anyway, for those wondering when we may see some kind of information about the new modular, I’ve gone back and dug these two posts which seem to be the leaks of the previous two modulars (if we don’t count @AllanSmith who was told by someone that the next modular was a petrol service station with a pet shop above). Hope I got it right this time with the posts... :laugh:

Corner Garage:

On 11/28/2018 at 5:15 PM, ncx said:

according to a facebook group member, who posted proof, its going to be a mechanics garage

Downtown Diner:

On 11/18/2017 at 6:11 PM, Doge said:

640?wx_fmt=jpeg&wxfrom=5&wx_lazy=1

And the press releases:

Corner Garage:

Downtown Diner:

So looking at all these dates, we can (hopefully) except some info/leaks by the end of November in one or two weeks and an official release a few days later! *oh2*

Edited by LegoModularFan

2 hours ago, BrickBuilder1 said:

It's crazy to think its already been almost a year since Corner Garage was revealed

Time isn't running, it's sprinting. Focus on doing good things, help people, trust the creator of this world and don't waste your time with stuff that's not worth your time.

I finally got Corner Garage back in August, but seeing as how busy I've been with work, school and other sets, I think I'll wait until I purchase the 2020 modular to open the CG and make a double addition at once to my modular city!

Shelves are starting to run out, though... 

Hopefully we'll get pictures in about two weeks!

I'm completely out of shelf space at this point and just stockpiling sets to build when I eventually move to a bigger place. I'm torn between wanting it to be a book shop since that would be a guaranteed buy, and wanting it to be something easily skippable like a police station so I can save on space.:shrug_oh_well:

On 11/9/2019 at 1:26 AM, pooda said:

@RuffDraft Don't they have snack shops in Europe?

No, we used to in a way... we used to have corner shops / newsagents, where you'd buy your newspapers and a few other bits, alongside sweets. The sweets would be behind the counter, and you could get a bag of whichever sweet you fancied that came measured in weight in front of you... but we don't have anything like that anymore... most people shop at the bigger supermarkets, or online... it's a shame because independent stores have been pretty much put out of business, and town centres / shopping centres are dying due to Amazon et al. 

On 11/9/2019 at 6:26 AM, nikhkin said:

Nope, that's another idea I'm not familiar with. If  I need snacks I would just go to Tesco or another supermarket. Probably the equivalent of your smaller grocery stores. 

With the majority of Lego designers being European, I would expect the modular to either have a theme seen in Europe (as with the Petrol station, fire station etc), or be something that is recognisable from American media (like a Diner was) even though it isn't a common feature here. 

Yes, I agree. 

On 11/9/2019 at 10:59 PM, BrickFit26 said:

An antiques store or a hardware shop next to the book shop are great ideas. I know we've been wanting a post office for a long time. Next to a book shop it could work, but it doesn't have to be a post office it could be a delivery service store.

A Post Office next to a book store would be EPIC! I would love a Post Office on its own, and a Book Store on its own though... I really don't like that Lego feel the need to mix so many things into one building... I get that it can please more people, but single use buildings just have so much room for expanding on ideas... either way, I love every modular building, and will be buying whatever set comes out. 

15 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

I'm completely out of shelf space at this point and just stockpiling sets to build when I eventually move to a bigger place. I'm torn between wanting it to be a book shop since that would be a guaranteed buy, and wanting it to be something easily skippable like a police station so I can save on space.:shrug_oh_well:

I'm with you. I have a tiny office, and around my iMac are different modular sets (PC, BB and DO), alongside the Tree House that was released earlier this year. I am hopefully moving out next year, and I have all the other modulars except for the MS, GG and CC... so I'll hopefully get to make a small town then... it's a shame that the Earth isn't twice the size and buildings aren't half as expensive! That way, I could afford to make a room out of Lego! I'll probably end up having it on shelves, rather than a city... but I really want to use my train track... it only comes out when the Christmas tree goes up.