The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

10 minutes ago, crowe-k said:

A book shop would be great, although I envision an older type building rather than a modern outlet type bookstore. I think there is a lot of potential with a book shop.

I agree, especially if an old type bookstore would NOT have a built-in cafe. I'm thinking of an used book shop where it's more like a messy museum/attic than a place to get the latest best seller. Maybe like the bookstore from The Neverending Story movie or from the Good Omens mini-series.

jim-mccarthy-img-4139.jpg?1566511488

And we'll definitely need a secret room to the most private of private collections, which includes books in chains.

I'm happy with a bookstore. Although, I would expect some kind of secondary building / business. I don't know what Lego would find amusing to pair with a bookstore ... maybe a small garden supplies shop? Books and "book ... worms"? Or maybe a bookshop and an arcade (i.e. books vs. video games debate)?

I would have personally preferred a library, because I'd like to see more government buildings (e.g. hospital, school, library, police station). But, thatĀ could be an easy MOD if it is a large bookstore.

Is there any chance that this Modular could mimic Pet Shop? Be two 32x16 buildings that are separable? That way one part of it would be the Book Shop and another a separate, unrelated building.

I hope it's not a bookstore. I spent the last couple months designing a bookstore and just ordered a lot of the parts on Bricklink!

Ā 

Two 16x32 buildings again would be nice.

I hope it is not a bookstore for other reasons; IĀ donā€™t see much of a challenge or interest for the interior. Shelves and shelves again, cashier, tables Ā for the display ofĀ books that are quite rectangular in shape... quite monotonous for my taste

if it has to be a bookstore, I hope the exterior will offer some compensation with spectacular architecture, on the more ancient side

I still hope for a school, a hospital or a media center (newspaper room +radio/television station) !

8 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Is there any chance that this Modular could mimic Pet Shop? Be two 32x16 buildings that are separable?

I think there is a good chance for that :wink:

9 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I think there is a good chance for that :wink:

I hope so. I donā€™t have the Pet Shop - I only started city building last year, so the earliest Modular Iā€™ve been able to get so far is the Parisian Restaurant. Iā€™m keeping eyes on the aftermarket for any of the earlier ones but Iā€™m not hopeful. The Pet Shop formula was brilliant and allowed for so much customisation, so seeing another Modular like it would be brilliant.Ā 

I hope it won't be two separate buildings like Pet Shop. 16x32 footprint is way too small for a properly detailed interior of a bookshop. Hope for regular 32x32 straight building with a nice facadeĀ and many interior details including new patter for the floor (maybe wooden one). Century wise I would like to see some proper 50's - 70's New York-style building...

Bookstore or library is at the very top of my modular wishlist, so I'm hoping this rumor is true. Having worked in multiple areas of both, I can think of plenty of ways to add lots of detail and variety! I wouldn't be surprised to see a cafƩ included as well, but that's the thing: I wouldn't be surprised. It seems too obvious, and I'd want to see a more unconventional pairing.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:16 AM, pooda said:

The likelyhood that you found this out from them is next to none. How do I know? Because I have an insider (who shall remain nameless) and she says that when it comes to new sets, they have to swear not to say anything or show anything until it's time to do so. So either you're lying or....that person at the store is in for a world of trouble.Ā 

That's not always true. An example, just a few days ago we saw the leak of the 1989 Batmobile, and the only reason we saw that leak was because it was displayed at Billund Airport before it was supposed to be displayed announced. So Book Store rumor could be true.

Edited by BrickFit26

I am fine with a book shop.Ā  It would likely involve another business/and or a residential area.Ā  If $200 is the new norm, there is no reason they could not go the way of the pet shop and have two detachable sections.Ā  The higher price would allow for that double wall that would be necessary in order to have two separate units.Ā  I too would hope a cafe/coffee shop is not included since we have no shortage of them at this time.Ā Ā 

If it is a Book shop, I also imagine it having a small place for public computers like a library. And a lounge with a detailedĀ floor pattern so minifigures canĀ relax and read.Ā Ā 

Edited by BrickFit26

Library seems interesting. I guess everyone's preconceived image of a library is something slightly older than the proposals I made earlier this post. Two Lego MOCs that spring up in my mind as "library architecture" would be @Giacinto Consiglio's Hats Shop & Old Inn and @looklĀ Victor's Lab. @looklĀ also has a library of its own, but although it's an epic design, its doesn't match with my notions of "library architecture".

Book Shop would be great, lots of possibilities for nice details. And they just belong in nice, old-fashioned buildings, so maybe we'll get more interesting exterior detail again aswell.

Now we just have to hope they let someone deisgn it who enjoys creating interior detail. :excited:

21 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

That's not always true. An example, just a few days ago we saw the leak of the 1989 Batmobile, and the only reason we saw that leak was because it was displayed at Billund Airport before it was supposed to be displayed announced. So Book Store rumor could be true.

Ā 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, wooster said:

"they have to swear not to say anything".Ā  I wouldn't trust that oath any further than I could throw it.Ā  And if one store clerk knows about new sets, it's likely that many of them do. So it could not be traced back to any particular individual.Ā  I'm not saying this information is true, but it is as believable as anyĀ other rumourĀ I read on this forum.

A store clerk recently showed me the list of 'to be retired' sets.Ā  This was a print out on a clipboard.Ā  So I do find this rumour plausible.

I'm sorry I was brash. @kiwinewtĀ I hope its true. A bookstore would be nice to have.Ā 

8 hours ago, badbob001 said:

There is a computer in the town hall.

TH definitely seems to be an exception to the rule. All other modulars have a distinctly period feel to them.Ā 

Blazej_Holen, I was not sure if it was a typewriter or laptop.

When did those centralized computers pop up? The ages when people still had terminals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_2260 seems to be 1 of the earlier? 1964 wikipedia says?

nikhkin, Town Hall the only exception maybe?

19 hours ago, Shiva said:

badbob001, Brick Bank seems to have 1 too. Laptop maybe?

From the Brick Bank description:

"Secretary's office features a wall clock, desk, typewriter, cabinet with opening drawers, fireplace and an espresso machine"

I doubt a town hall (even in the biggest of cities) would have had any kind of computers (terminals included) until the rise of the microcomputer in the early 80s. Certainly not in that kind of location (maybe really really big cities with massive amounts of data to process would have had a batch-processing IBM or a DEC PDP somewhere in the administration but they wouldn't have had any kind of input in such a visible place)

Ā