The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It would be hella weird for them to release a car dealership, when just two years ago Mike Psiaki said that they originally wanted to do a car dealership as that years modular, but changed it to a diner because they just could not make it work.

Ans, seriously, think about it. Car dealerships usually have airy showrooms with lots of space around each car. Assuming they'd also include a way to get to the upper floor and at least one desk or office area somwhere, they propably could barely fit more two normal sized cars on one level without it looking cramped. Unless they dramatically increase the buildings footprint compared to other modulars. Just try and put the Diners's Cadillac inside the diner, and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by RogerSmith

4 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

It would be hella weird for them to release a car dealership, when just two years ago Mike Psiaki said that they originally wanted to do a car dealership as that years modular, but changed it to a diner because they just could not make it work.

Ans, seriously, think about it. Car dealerships usually have airy showrooms with lots of space around each car. Assuming they'd also include a way to get to the upper floor and at least one desk or office area somwhere, they propably could barely fit more two normal sized cars on one level without it looking cramped. Unless they dramatically increase the buildings footprint compared to other modulars. Just try and put the Diners's Cadillac inside the diner, and you'll see what I mean.

For Pete's sake, they can use the small cars. 

41 minutes ago, pooda said:

For Pete's sake, they can use the small cars. 

Using small cars is a plausible option. Considering a lot of modular collectors prefer sets without cars and there is already an established scale among the current  vehicles associated with the modulars it does seem unlikely to me. I'm not against there being a car dealership, there are many other buildings I would like to see first. I do like the grand single use buildings a lot, but the multi-use buildings expand the city's attractions more rapidly. DO was the first modular I bought for that very purpose.

On October 25, 2019 at 5:29 PM, merman said:

The white baseplate is coming back at the end of this year. Could it be related to the new Modular?

Well. clearly this is a dead give-away.  The next Modular is going to be an igloo. :sweet:

On a (only slightly) less ridiculous note, it seems that last few Modulars have all had something of a 1950's midwest urban vibe to them; it might be nice to mix that up a bit with something like a Contemporary Art Museum - non-traditional architecture and form language inside and out and three floors of Minifigure scale "outsider art".  It would look thoroughly out of place next to most of the line, but that's kinda the point.

Well the city hospital is retiring this year, so LEGO please put all those molds to work in a new creator expert hospital or private clinic! Or maybe an uni or high school. Get those mini fig kids off the streets. 

10 hours ago, nikhkin said:

I'm not a fan of a modular car dealership. As far as I can tell it would be a big, empty space with a lot of parts wasted on the cars. I can't see a way they could make a flat, empty room interesting. 

Plus, I feel it would end up being a far too modern looking building, rather than the mid-20th century aesthetic we've had fairly consistently so far. Alternatively, it'll just look like a slightly different build of the Corner Diner parts. 

I feel a modular auto dealership should be a two-story, single-car showroom more within this architectural direction that I'd previously suggested...

On 12/7/2017 at 3:14 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

How about something like this, but with a second story? It may not have the curves like you mentioned, but it certainly would be a rather different Art Deco beauty. :blush:

Roadarch - Former Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company Showroom, Buffalo, NY

v.jpg

On 10/17/2019 at 9:10 PM, LegoModularFan said:

I don’t know what they’ll do as the subject of the modular but architecture wise I hope it won’t go any plainer. I would love/adore to see an Art Nouveau or an early Art Deco building if they are going back in time or a contemporary building with some strange shapes if they’re going to the present even though we’re unlikely to see something of that kind without a few transition modulars... I mean in which style could it be? Which possibilities do we have? 

Well, like I've also previously suggested here before a few times... 

On 12/5/2017 at 8:44 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'd hope it would be something of a more elegant Art Deco aesthetic; put simply, less like Fallout, more like Bioshock's Rapture:purrr:

tumblr_n1l77aKzTG1qbs6i5o1_1280.jpg

Some of the interesting reference I’ve been getting into recently (not that it stands any chance of becoming a real Lego set or anything....)

Mackintosh’s Tea Rooms:

https://www.mackintoshatthewillow.com

Hill House6

Neoplasticist architectural designs

https://www.mackintoshatthewillow.com

Variius American things:

https://www.museothyssen.org/coleccion/artistas/estes-richard/peoples-flowers

... Bus Terminal- Hugh Ferriss

Just to get some more varied ideas rolling other than Art Nouveau, Art Déco..

Add more unique ideas everyone!

Edited by paupadros

The first floor of the diner with its wide windows has a car dealership feel to it. Maybe expand it with a mirror build of the first floor.

So the next Lego Contest, create a car for the modular streets to be given away with purchase. Interesting that they are requesting the community, could it be related to the Automobile.  Much like Downtown Diner and Corner Garage, they have a sense of 40's/50's vibes. Could be Car Wash for all we know with an Arcade up top. In art Deco, there's a possibility that there could be an Miami Hotel with the pink flamingos available now. 

1 minute ago, Hellrazr88 said:

So the next Lego Contest, create a car for the modular streets to be given away with purchase. Interesting that they are requesting the community, could it be related to the Automobile.  Much like Downtown Diner and Corner Garage, they have a sense of 40's/50's vibes. Could be Car Wash for all we know with an Arcade up top. In art Deco, there's a possibility that there could be an Miami Hotel with the pink flamingos available now. 

You have to bear in mind that the GWP from this competition will not be ready for January.

The Space Rocket Ride GWP wasn't released for over a year after the contest ended. If it is intended to align with a modular, it would make more sense for it to relate to the January 2021 release. 

6 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

So according to my local store... the next modular is a bookshop.

How did you manage to get this out of them.  If it’s true.  Usually they are so tight lipped.

6 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

So according to my local store... the next modular is a bookshop.

The likelyhood that you found this out from them is next to none. How do I know? Because I have an insider (who shall remain nameless) and she says that when it comes to new sets, they have to swear not to say anything or show anything until it's time to do so. So either you're lying or....that person at the store is in for a world of trouble. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, Bricked1980 said:

Someone on here had mentioned a couple of months ago they'd been told it would be a garage of some sort.

About the book shop rumor, that may be true. A similar thing happened the last year with the CG and it was true. I found this post as the proof, couldn’t bother to find the original one. Book shop as a subject would make sense too as we didn’t get anything like that in any modular yet, am I wrong? 

Edited by LegoModularFan

45 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

About the book shop rumor, that may be true. A similar thing happened the last year about the CG and it was true. I found this post as the proof, couldn’t bother to find the original one. Book shop as a subject would make sense too advanced we didn’t get anything like that in any modular yet, am I wrong? 

Not wrong at all – I would love a book shop; especially if it resembled an English town building, or something like the book shop in You've Got Mail. As an ex-teacher, we used to make such a big deal of our book corner in the classroom, and children would get lost in the world of books there if they had a stimulating book to read. 

I think book shops would have great storylines for a modular building too. Like in the book, "Words in Deep Blue", there are hidden messages in the book store left by each visitor to the store... not sure how this could be replicated in a modular building, but it's just one example of how book stores can come to life... it could be that special place in the Lego Town where people go to escape the craziness of life. 

I'd love it! 

4 hours ago, pooda said:

The likelyhood that you found this out from them is next to none. How do I know? Because I have an insider (who shall remain nameless) and she says that when it comes to new sets, they have to swear not to say anything or show anything until it's time to do so. So either you're lying or....that person at the store is in for a world of trouble. 

"they have to swear not to say anything".  I wouldn't trust that oath any further than I could throw it.  And if one store clerk knows about new sets, it's likely that many of them do. So it could not be traced back to any particular individual.  I'm not saying this information is true, but it is as believable as any other rumour I read on this forum.

A store clerk recently showed me the list of 'to be retired' sets.  This was a print out on a clipboard.  So I do find this rumour plausible.

If this turns out to be true, I hope it’s a return to a single use building(although I doubt that will happen). I’m seeing a two story building with a small cafe just inside the front doors....but that’s only because that’s exactly what the Barnes & Noble I frequent is like. :grin: We all know LEGO loves coffee. It has been a couple years since we got one though. 

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

About the book shop rumor, that may be true. A similar thing happened the last year with the CG and it was true. I found this post as the proof, couldn’t bother to find the original one. Book shop as a subject would make sense too as we didn’t get anything like that in any modular yet, am I wrong? 

You are right, have a look at the post below which was posted on 24th August last year. Months before CG was officially announced.

On 8/24/2018 at 12:22 AM, AllanSmith said:

The 2019 Modular will be a petrol service station with a pet shop above :)

If the new one does turn out to be a book store then personally I think that has the potential to be pretty great.

A book shop would be great, although I envision an older type building rather than a modern outlet type bookstore. I think there is a lot of potential with a book shop.